Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

The Quarantine

pre:


Specialist: Lombardi, Maria M.
Woman, ancient fatigues, shadowed eyes, athletic body.
Cool+3, Hard+1, Hot+1, Sharp=0, Weird=nil

Moves
Combat veteran: you get +1cool (cool+3).
Disciplined engagement: when you inflict harm, you can choose to inflict any
amount of harm you like, less than or up to your harm as established, including s-harm.
Decide at the moment you inflict the harm; you need not tell anyone in advance how
much harm you intend to inflict.
Leave no one behind: in battle, when you help someone who’s rolling, don’t roll+Hx.
You help them as though you’d hit the roll with a 10+.

Gearan assault rifle (3-harm close/far loud autofire)a 9mm sidearm (2-harm close loud)a combat knife (2-harm hand)
• military body armor (2-armor valuable hi-tech)
• fatigues and scrounge, but no jingle

Stasis
I was released a few days ago.
My colleagues remain in stasis.
It has deadly defenses.
Specialist Jackson was unable to survive the trauma of release.
Currently unlocked facility is: Medlab.

Hx
Vaya +1
SKADI -1
Yx -1
Scarlett -2
Zero -2
Armstrong -2
Corvi -2
Melody -2

XP
Advances: 1

Advance! — get followers (you detail) and fortunes!
My followers are: (fortune+1 surplus: 1-barter want: desertion)
- congregated in their own communities
- a cult
- hard-working, no-nonsense. Surplus: +1barter.
- eager, enthusiastic, and successful recruiters. Surplus: +growth
- not really yours, more like you’re theirs. Want: judgment instead of want: desertion.
- disdainful of fashion, luxury and convention. Surplus: +violence
Everything is hosed. They stuck us in these chambers, with all this equipment. For something, something which we..I..can't even recall. Jackson didn't make it out with me and I know I'm not qualified to hit those releases. Might be able to figure that out later. There's a standard medical facility with power, but I'm pretty sure I'm not a doctor. The mission is completely fubar, I can tell that much. As the only mission operative active, I'm changing the mission. Priority one is personal survival. Priority two is personal recall. I can't remember poo poo about what I'm supposed to be doing. If I can figure that out, I can adjust the mission parameters as need be. In the meantime, I'm on my own.

Update: I've identified that the people here are (generally) terrified of 'the destroyers,' and I don't seem to be one. At this time, I hypothesize these 'destroyers' have something to do with my original mission, but that's still a wide net to cast. It's all I've got to go on; I don't have any other observations or interactions with the 'destroyers.' Not many clues yet. It seems pretty clear that whatever this patch on my arm is, it doesn't have much meaning anymore. I suppose that's a clue in and of itself? Probably a secret mission, or...something went very wrong. gently caress.

Update: I've spent some time talking to a woman named L'nai; she runs some sort of fabric or clothing trade post. I haven't really grasped the economy of this area (though it seems somewhat primitive, which, gently caress), but the fact that there's mental space and a need for things beyond weapons and food is a good indicator that civilization of some sort is functioning. But, gently caress.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Aug 21, 2018 around 01:27

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Lombardi

I've got to investigate this reading. I reach for the control pad of the system. So far, it seems like I've got a pretty robust set of sensor systems, but I keep only finding out about them once they alert on something or other. Anyway, I silence the alarm, but using the the controls is actually slightly awkward when it's not on my forearm. "I've got to investigate this reading," I explain to L'nai, "Unfortunately, I have to do it tonight." Alpha will kill us all dead, and fast, if it's a gaseous source or otherwise readily internalizable. Why do I remember that? Then there's the pounding, and the noise. I glance upwards as I start pulling my gear back on. "Annoying, yes," I agree, "but is it about to be your problem?" I don't want it to be her problem. "I don't want it to be your problem. I can handle it." I'm confident in that, at the least. "If it needs to be handled. Least I can do to thank you, right now."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

I get what she's saying, with regards to blood, but I don't get it. At all. I give L'nai that look I'm sure I've given her a dozen times already and I let it pass. I'll get to the bottom of it soon enough, and besides, it seems like a season's worth of protection is a decent amount. "All right, have it your way," I reply with a light smile. Pulling on the last of my gear, I make sure the alarm is still silence. "Get some rest, L'Nai. I might be out late. Thanks again for your hospitality." I head to the door, and then point upwards. "What an rear end."

Then I slip quietly out the door. Glancing towards the radiation sensor, I take the long way around the building, where I can see Tommiboy still pounding on the door. "Tommiboy, it's too late for business." I don't really break stride or even look at him as I walk slowly past. "Come back tomorrow. It's rude, people are trying to sleep."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

I pick up the knife, wipe the dirt off the blade on the leg of my pants, and stash it in an empty thigh sheath. "Look," I begin, "if you're looking in the upstairs room, that's got nothing to do with me." I stare at him. "It's not really a good idea to just throw knives away, Tommiboy." I realize I'm antagonizing him, but hell, he annoyed me first. Thinking about the rest of his command, I spit back. "One, I don't take orders from you. If you want something, ask nicely. You'll probably do better that way. And two, no. She's clear for the season." The klaxon sounds, the gently caress does that mean, gah, and I excuse myself, semi-mockingly bored. "I've really got to be going now; you should tell me where you live so I can give you your knife back later." I wait half a second to see what he does, and...

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

"I don't give a gently caress, Tommiboy," I say not really loud enough for him to hear, but maybe loud enough for someone else to hear as I head out of Woodhold proper. Glancing at the readout, I'm forced to ponder. This gear has signatures for a number of things, I'm sure. Why would it only have one? Anyway, that doesn't answer the question of what a Geodyne reactor is...wonder if it's got anything to do with those klaxons? Or do the klaxons have to do with the gunfire? My pace picks up. It's not always smart to run towards the sound of guns, but, poo poo. I bet all of this poo poo has to do with the fact that I'm out of Stasis, right? A check to the sensor. The phrase 'automated defense systems' is running through my head. The Stasis facility has automated defense systems. And someone's just triggered them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

Grenades, panicked locals, gunfire, and is that a CIWS? That's got to be the defenses activating, would explain the klaxon. The defenses? The klaxon? The Siren's Gate? The pieces are starting to come together. It's me. It's the facility. But what's a Titan? That's the missing piece, but I bet it's got something to do with this reactor. Is something trying to breach the gates? gently caress! I've got to see what the hell is going on.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty

Spc. Lombardi

"No," and the firm but kind reply is out of my mouth before I've even thought about it. "Dremmer will know soon enough," I assure him. I have to assume that's true. There's many questions I have for this Huntsman, but he's in no shape to answer them. "Hide and survive. I know something of this Titan, and I will stop it." Half a lie, half hope, but I do know that it has a modern (to me!) gun system and so we've got some common cause. Another indicator lights up on the forearm control rig, indicating that we're in range of Stasis; I tap it and reconnect to the main system. And then I stride forwards, into the clearing, weapons down. If it wants me dead I'm already dead, no need to provoke it further. I say it, but there's someone inside. There's got to be.

Confidence breeds power, and I shout to the walker. I bet that loving thing can hear me. "Unknown mech, identify yourself." I continue to stride forward. The klaxons sound again. Timing is good. "You are trespassing on a secure site." And I wait for a reply.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Specialist Maria Lombardi, Multilateral Stasis Project. Acting Mission Commander." The words spill right out of my mouth before I even recall them. They're correct, though, that much I do know. I'm not sure I'm even fazed by a giant walker at this point. Why not? Haven't been able to draw a bead on exactly how long I've been on ice, and everything's clearly gone to poo poo anyway. "How long you been here, SKADI?" My arm goes up in front of my eyes, those are some pretty powerful lights, right in my drat eyes. "Why are you terrorizing the locals?" I tap the link to the perimeter cameras. Maybe it'll give me some better vantage points.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Haven't you ever heard of hours?" I weigh my options here. Don't want to reveal too much information, but I don't have much else to bargain with. I return to her question. "Same to you - where's the other Chosen?" Are there more of these drat mechs around? gently caress! And let's push the pace here. "Not sure if you've realized it, SKADI, but Einherjar, Chosen, Revenant, Local, Farmer, President...if you're here, now? You're hosed."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



We'll have to sort out just what the gently caress that all means later, I figure, as loving WORMS THE SIZE OF A BUS break through the ground. I dive for cover somewhat instinctively, but realize that cover from something eating up the ground beneath you isn't all that useful. I bring my rifle up, maybe it'll do some good? And we'll see just where the ground rumbles next. I wish I had a loving RPG.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 Act Under Fire = (5+1)+3 = 9

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"The fuuuuck are these, SKADIIII... you got a fuckin' code name for this too?" I grab a rusted guardrail and it creaks but holds steady. "Here's what I've got on this," and I let the rifle hang from its sling. Bringing my other hand up, I shout out the seismic indicators I've got. Hopefully that autocannon will shred these things and with my data, she shouldn't get taken by surprise. Yes, I suppose I'm letting her know some of my capabilities, but that's subordinate to Mission Objective One right now.

Leave No One Behind.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I can't help but give a bit of a cheer when SKADI's walker splatters one of the worms. The elation quickly turns to a growing realization that the other worm is heading back towards Woodhold. gently caress! "Nice job, SKADI. Can you intercept the escaping worm? It's going to wreck Woodhold!" I can't imagine that Dremmer's got anything that can remotely handle this...thing. Not from what I've seen of his crew and town. I check a few more seismic monitors and work my way back to the ground, slowly. I'm pretty resigned to whatever SKADI can, or will, do.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



gently caress it. I grab one of the infantry handles and try not to let the bobbing and stomping get to me. "Do not fight the Woodholders," I tell SKADI, "if you can destroy this other worm in sight of them and stand down I suspect that will do wonders for relations, you know?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"They're using him as bait," I realize. Seems like they know what they're doing. I hope they know what they're doing. "SKADI," I ask, "what kind of precision you have on that cannon? Can you get the worm without wrecking Woodhold?" Time is clearly short.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



This food is actually...really good. I'm trying to relax, stay calm, not let my instincts go nuts while disarmed and surrounded by possible threats, but...it's tough. And at the same time, I really need to relax. Can't keep going at 100% all the time. Nobody can. "Dremmer, " I start in, "this is delicious; thank you." I cut off a piece of the breakfast steak - it reminds me of venison, but not exactly. As I chew on the meat, I chew on his words. Swallow, and reply. "So, what you call the Tallboys is the visible part of what I call the Facility." And I explain to Dremmer - about waking up there, about how the defenses don't really react to me but I can't make it safe for anyone else, how I am only slightly less surprised by SKADI than they are, and possibly most importantly, "Dremmer, I can't remember poo poo about what things were like Before or even really who the hell I am."

I stop, briefly, and eat another bite. That's everything that's been bottled up since I got here. "Woodhold is where I found myself after wandering around, and honestly, it's the closest thing I have to a place to live, now. The Facility is there, yes, but it's just a pile of mysteries to me. I'm sure I will return to it, but the information I need is only going to be out here, in the rest of the world." Another pause. "I'm not going to lie to you and your people, Dremmer, and say I'm just like you, because I'm not. But I'm human all the same." I let him think on what he's heard.

No Jingle. Gonna have to work a gig, probably on Dremmer's behalf.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Jan 25, 2018 around 14:29

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I take the offered scrap and peer at it. "Hm;" it's curious. Not quite a match for mine, but much closer than I would have expected. "Is this the symbol for all the breakers, Dremmer?" It doesn't really matter, but it'd be interesting to see how much he knows about the surrounding area. He's a pretty good leader in this environment, I have to admit, so he'll probably have some idea. "Regardless, I'd be happy to clear them out for you. Got a sense of how many are holed up there?" It's time to do something I'm actually good at around here - soldiering. And I'd bet I'll find some useful information up in the bolthole, based on this insignia. I look back and forth between my arm patch and the scrap a few times.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



I find myself chuckling at Dremmer. "Would you believe me if I told you that I can't remember whether or not I'm wood-wise?" That being said, I have a sudden realization, and I ask one of the guards - Rench, I think his name was - to bring over one of my weapons. He can hold the magazine, if he wants, I just want to point something out. And I do, finding the three-arrowed logo engraved on the side. "This symbol," I say, "marks my weapons as Bear Eater." I think. That doesn't really sound quite right, but it's close enough, and I think Dremmer will appreciate it. "So maybe? I'll let you know." A genuine smile breaks out across my face. "I'll handle this for you and Woodhold," I say, gathering the bits and scraps he's shown me, and collecting the rest of my things from Rench and the others. "And thank you again for the meal. See you soon, Dremmer."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty



"Tommiboy and I have already met, Rench," I say with a smirk and a wink. "But it's good to know that idiot's got friends." And then, shortly thereafter, I reach the bunker. Tactics present themselves quickly. If I can get them to come out, I can thin them the gently caress out real quick. I don't want to go in there blind, that's just asking for trouble. I should have tried to find some incendiaries, but that's out of the question, now. Hopefully nobody runs out of the bunker while I'm setting this up, but here's the plan. I've got this patch which they should be interested in. If I lay that out and bang their door, they should come out for an assault - but a good bunker is a good chokepoint, too.

So I set up the patch and get myself a bit of a cover spot, and then find some rocks and pavement fragments and start chucking them at their door, which reverberates more than it seems like it should. And I ready my rifle. Come out and play.

2-Armor | 3-harm close/far loud autofire
Bait a Trap: 2d6+3 12
You draw your prey all the way into the trap.
You don’t expose yourself to extra risk.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00

I jog up to the breakers who're bleeding on the ground and do a quick triage of the situation. Slinging the rifle back and drawing my pistol, I take a look. I need someone who's going to be able to walk. The first breaker, on the left, took rounds to both thighs and one ankle. She's not going anywhere fast, so I put a bullet in her forehead. "Either of you want to live?" I ask the remaining two. "Names. Now." One of them tells me Coffeecup (honestly, I'm inclined to like her just for that) and other says Wandoo. "I need someone who can one, walk, two, is going to tell me just what the gently caress this group of idiots thinks they're doing and what's in that hole," I snarl as I gesture to the black doorway, "and three, wants to take advantage of medical facilities you can't even dream of." I point from Wandoo and Coffeecup and back with the pistol, keeping half an eye on them and half an eye on the doorway. "You have two seconds."

Lemme know if I need to roll, since they're in no shape to fight back. If either of them show they can't stand I'm shooting them right then and there.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00

I take stock of what they're telling me, and then I crack Wandoo in the jaw with the butt of my pistol, and I feel her jaw crumble. She's out. Maybe she'll wake up. "Ok, Coffeecup, what should I expect in the bunker?" I put the pistol away. I don't need to threaten her any more. She knows what's at stake.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00

I get her drift. "Tell me how I'll know her, and I'll do my best." After I get the information, I turn into the darkness. I reach to the side of my helmet and click a button that I'm not sure I remembered was even there until now, and two powerful red lights illuminate the darkness. With another button press, the world grows quieter, as active noise damping activates. Gunfire is loud enough. And in a confined space, well gently caress that. Okay, Stonechildren. I'm coming for ya. Dremmer knows I'm not the legendary Queen of the Spectres...or am I?

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 AUF to avoid the traps in the bunker = (3+6)+3 = 12

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00

"MarMar, is that you playing a guard?" I shout down the hall. "Get the gently caress out of here and go meet Coffeecup outside. She just saved your life." I try to make out her face in the darkness, though the red light is helping quite a bit. I think I see some scars on her face. That's unfortunate, really. "Can't even load a gun without nearly shooting yourself? How exactly do you plan on stopping a Spectre? C'mon, get out of here." I don't really want to shoot her, at this point, but I will.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+1 Go Aggro on MarMar (please leave) = (3+2)+1 = 6
I do have Disciplined Engagement, so I'm really going to try not kill her, even if I do have to shoot her.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00

I'm glad it's a dark down here, hopefully she can't see my jaw hanging open. The balaclava would make that even harder to see, but nonetheless How does she know my...oh. "What the hell...nevermind. Stay alive, MarMar, I've got questions for you." They're naming kids after me, aren't they. But back to business at hand. "Dunker, is that you? Was this your gang, using my image? gently caress you, pay me." That should give him some thought. Or not, and I'll just shoot him. Whatever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

This guy has some loving information. And he's already given me something serious - I was security. That explains the heavy gear, the guns, the armor. It also tells me that I'm likely one of the best equipped people out here - that loving SKADI notwithstanding. "No whining, Maria," I hiss to MarMar. A finger to my lips, and then I breathe out. Stow the rifle and the pistol. Time to run this fucker over. A sprint back up the hall and up the stairs and right into him before he can react.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 AUF (Bull Rush!) = (1+5)+3 = 9

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

The shot impact doesn't stop enough of my momentum, and besides, there's no stopping me now. Dunker's on the ground and I'm on top of him, full mount. He's stunned for a second, and so I grab him by the throat and draw my pistol. Right at his forehead. "Motherfucker, I am Maria Lombardi. And you just killed my prime source of information, but I think you know more anyway." I give him a moment. "Besides, your life's forfeit to Dremmer right now anyway, but I just so happen to be in charge right now. Understand what you've gotten yourself into, Dunker?"

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+1 Go Aggro on Dunker (Surrender) = (5+2)+1 = 8
If he forces my hand, I'm not going to kill him; Disciplined Engagement allows me to inflict S-harm and look for something to bind him with

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I stare at him and force him to his feet, trying not to just what at his face. I get him to his feet, start pointing back towards Woodhold, pistol still out. "So you call me the Watcher of the Threshold, huh. What do you call Tamara, Fernando, and the rest of them?" That should get me more without revealing I have no real idea what I'm talking about. But I'm starting to form a picture nonetheless...and then the comm system built into my helmet, that I forgot I even had, starts blaring. Nothing should even be capable of addressing it; I know this the moment its existence is made known again to me. "And on a different note," no pun intended, I realize, "Dunker, who's Glorifikus?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I'm trying not to reel from this information. Reeling internally will have to do. This is the most anyone's been able to tell me about anything related to who I am and who the people I know...knew?..know? are. Glorifikus is, I realize, about who that would have been. Some parts of this new world I'm in are starting to make sense to me. A limited sort of sense, but sense nonetheless.

And then I realize what I'm being offered. "What's in it for you," I ask, trying not to show how desperately I'd like to get her back. Is she even going to be recognizable? Well, I am, aren't I?

Aren't I?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


6:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | x x x o >>

I think about this offer for a second. "I only came out in the first place at Dremmer's request, so, I'll give you this. Your rebellion or schism or whatever the hell this - " I gesture towards the bunker - "represented, is over, dead, and in the ground. If anyone asks, you've paid the price." Dead bodies and serious wounds will speak to that. And so, it seems, will Mar-Mar. "I'm fine, little Maria. Come on up." That's not true, not entirely. I'm a little banged up, but nobody here really needs to know that. Dunker probably's quick enough to figure it out, though. What I'm not about to do is pass out and die unexpectedly. I have the feeling that's as good as I'm gonna get around here.

"So tell me where to find Specialist Jackson, and I'll be on my way. Little Maria can join me, at least for a while, if she likes," and I'll make her the offer once she emerges from the bunker. I'm not calling her Mar-Mar.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x o >>

Ribs hurt, face hurts. Dremmer's blood man had some styptics for the cheek. Said his name was Quinnjack. Handy enough with a blood pen and a roll of tape. Honestly, I was surprised to see that they even had rolls of athletic tape, but I guess you never know what survives the end of the world. Quinnjack apologized, saying he's not a real medic, just a blood expert. Specialties are weird now, I guess. I'll be fine. Guy did a good enough job, and I'm not hauling my rear end all the way back to stasis for that sort of injury. Anyway, that was a couple hours ago.

Now it's real. Quick as a wink, rifle's unslung and in hands, high ready. Yes, it's an aggressive move. Probably safer that way. "If you're trying to surprise me, you blew it," I call into the trees as I try to count the people. "Huntsmen? What do you want." It's a question, but only barely. Ears and eyes peeled. I'll have to compliment Little Maria on her alertness, when I get the chance.

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+0 read a sitch = (4+4)+0 = 8
• What should I be on the lookout for? • What’s my enemy’s true position?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I let out a quick, exasperated breath, and bring the rifle all the way up to an aimed position, but I'm already letting a burst fly as Tommiboy. Bad discipline on my part. Can't get sloppy. I can hear the boys moving all around, but I remain focused on Tommiboy. Morale in this group is low, a decapitation strike should do wonders. But I was lazy, dammit!

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 AUF - Tommiboy don't scare me none = (3+2)+3 = 8
(3-harm close/far loud autofire)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

The phrase `hype girl` goes through my head. This whole thing would be sort of amusing if it wasn't very real and very lethal. "No need to kill them, Little Maria. They're no threat now," and I quickly snap a shot off near the hand of the one on the left, who was still reaching for his club. "and they shouldn't be, later. Am I right, Roshi," addressing the one on the right. "That's what I thought." I gesture to Little Maria, and we keep going.

"So tell me," I say as we hike along, "I've got a few things I'd like to know. Who's Jackson, to you? And who taught you to shoot?"

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I'm trying to parse this with what I know. Tamara's dead. I know she's dead, the autodoc said so. No brain activity at all, no heart either. That has to be true. And yet, there's something that Little Maria's stories and tales and...religion? I guess? are based on. What did Dunker call her? The Speaker From the Storm? For a fleeting moment, I hear hear again. Radio crackling in my helmet, That's all she wrote, Lombardi. Come on home.

"Tamara,"

I say to no one.

She's gone again. That couldn't have been real.

I know she died moments after getting out of the tube. I think she got me up, too. I lived, she didn't. Pod C, Tube A, Jackson. Pod C, Tube B, Lombardi. I don't - didn't - shouldn't have access to the other pods. All the systems were on lockdown, and I don't have authority anyway. Didn't. I think. Why is it all so fuzzy?

Never meet your idols, girl.

"I am the Watcher of the Threshold; my role is to keep the Gate intact and the Facility safe. Together, the Saints may be able to stop the Destruction. But only if we all walk the earth again." I pause, I think that's right, and restated for the new world as well. "Right now, the Gate alone can protect the Facility, and so I may search for the other Saints." And then what? How will we know -- The SOP! They were missing, and I think I might know where they are now, sort of.

"We will also need the Mission Documents, the SOP binders. With them, the Saints can rise to their true potential. A full, intact set could perhaps be used to even...canonize another, even now." I still don't know why they were missing, but maybe we can find them. Maybe. Even a single page would unfreeze my memories a bit, I'm sure of it. They have to still exist. I need them to, maybe even more than I need my (former?) colleagues. I'm alive. Who knows what's happened to them. Maybe they're still in Stasis. Maybe they're...whatever happened to Jackson. Let's find out.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

Another revelation, though this one might have been more expected, I suppose. He made it out with our materials. Or escaped. Why? So that's me, Tamara, and...Giles

gently caress

why

how

Hold it together. I'm thankful for the balaclava, hides the confusion on my face from the girl. "Well, we're already going to the Works. Maybe we'll find Tamara, maybe we won't." I hold little faith that we'll find her. Ironic choice of words, though. "But we need the SOP." I pause. "Glad you're with me." It's not a lie. A dead factory lies in front of us. Maybe a dead soldier's ghost does too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I ignore their request for tribute, striding forwards so we're not shouting at the top of our lungs. "I am here to see Mother Rust, and we will be talking about the Speaker from the Storm," I inform them.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | x x x x >>

I take an exasperated breath in. "Walking Saints don't pay petty tolls," I explain to her - old hockey pads with elaborate spikes attached look intimidating, but not actually that helpful if you're only wearing a bra under it - she evaluates, I evaluate - where were we -

"And if His Grossness would like a word with me, he can talk to me himself, inside the Works." That's disgusting. Maybe she'll take the wrong hint. I hope Little Maria doesn't.

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Jun 15, 2018 around 12:37

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

Tommiboy was dumb. Deliberately, repeatedly dumb. This toll-taker was also dumb, but at least she was following a playbook she'd assume would work. Rifle's already up and bullets are already through her by the time she finishes asking her drat question. And the next thing anyone hears is me.

"Section Two; Personnel.
Subsection Three; Maria Maddelena Lombardi, Security Specialist. Identification number 3068219.

Section Four; General Orders.
Order Seventeen; Lethal force is authorized to ensure the safety of mission personnel."

I look at the rest of the boiz. "The Saints survived."

I look back at Little Maria, and smirk slightly. I still don't know what I'm doing, but here's the flip side: nobody knows what to do with me.

"Mother ain't got poo poo on me."

@Lombardi (cap foo): 2d6+3 get trolled bithc = (5+5)+3 = 13
(3-harm close/far loud autofire)


Advance! — get followers (you detail) and fortunes!
My followers are: (fortune+1 surplus: 1-barter want: desertion)
- congregated in their own communities
- a cult
- hard-working, no-nonsense. Surplus: +1barter.
- eager, enthusiastic, and successful recruiters. Surplus: +growth
- not really yours, more like you’re theirs. Want: judgment instead of want: desertion.
- disdainful of fashion, luxury and convention. Surplus: +violence

Captain Foo fucked around with this message at Jun 18, 2018 around 01:39

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

"Good day," I reply to my...follower? "What's your name?" I can be friendly, it's just...tough. "We're here for the Rokoff - I've been told that Saint Jackson can be reached through this...ritual? You seem like you're more familiar with the Rokoff and these Choir-types than anyone else I've talked to; tell me what you know." Then I see it; I point to the mech. "Anyone seen the pilot of that thing?" What's she doing here?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

"Thank you, Rather." So we walk closer to the happenings. I don't know the protocols here, but eventually, someone who knows the mechanics of this RokOff will approach us I'm sure. And SKADI's looking for another? There's another mechrider here? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. At this point it's clear there's two groups of...I don't know, survivors is the wrong word. Anteapocalypse? That's a mouthful. gently caress it. The Saints and the Knights, from Before. That's all we really are now, aren't we?

"I don't think we actually need to do anything here," I think out loud, "But wait for this RokOff to begin. If what the Choir-folk do what they say they can do, then Saint Jackson will be heard, and if they cannot, then we are on our own again to recover the SOP." Am I thinking, preaching, or commanding? Is there a difference?

"And if you catch SKADI, that Knight, out of her mech? I'd like to speak to her."

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

I can read a face and a tone of voice, simple as she's making it. Remembering Rather's suggestion, I catch myself before reaching to my rifle.

"Same to you, bitch."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

devil on your shoulder





Clever Betty


3:00 | 2-Armor | Cool+3 Hard+1 Hot+1 Sharp=0 Weird=nil | 3-barter | o o o o >>

I gesture to the boiz to lower their weapons; I must remember to compliment them on their draw when this is over. But I never take my eyes off this woman, and I cock my head with a half-shrug emphasizing the point: speak. Now.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«2 »