Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
this time I'm going to post five posts AFTER votefinder announces its arbitrary limit I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVIGju-rSho

Muradin
Falstad
Ma-- Moira.

listen man, I know these are puzzles

Podima posted:

Would you say this is enough reason to vote MMT or not?

hell no - admittedly my bar seems to be much higher than the norm, i dont like just tossing serious votes on the fire scum or town

Podima posted:

I don't agree with this btw, I still think wren's post was an overreaction but this was an apparent joke. Why are you jumping at it?

I concur re: this tho, especially when in one hand there's critique of joke-vengeance and then the pivot to strike out against the joke

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

hell no - admittedly my bar seems to be much higher than the norm, i dont like just tossing serious votes on the fire scum or town

I concur re: this tho, especially when in one hand there's critique of joke-vengeance and then the pivot to strike out against the joke

I'm gonna take another stab at that as part of operation coherent -

Podima posted:

Not yet / not in a vacuum.

Podima posted:

I don't agree with this btw, I still think wren's post was an overreaction but this was an apparent joke. Why are you jumping at it?

This line of accusation on her part seems to be hypocritical, at least as I read it. That could be a tell for real; I'd like to see her response to your question.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

I can't say I fully understand what perA is saying but I don't really like MMT's posting yet this game and I would be alright with ##vote MMT

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

peramene posted:

depending on your timestamp, it could be one; the other; both; neither.

this is an intensely obvious non-statement

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

this is an intensely obvious non-statement

My intention was to poke fun at your aggression to it making it meaningful where it was not before; reasons previous stated.

--

I got halfway through writing a dissent about 8/8 being timezone problematic (drink) and then realized that, like a fool, I'd misunderstood that it was intended to be a 24, not 12, hour period.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

I can't say I fully understand what perA is saying but I don't really like MMT's posting yet this game and I would be alright with ##vote MMT

I'm finding this one really hard to clarify. Like okay - she says that post A is a joke post and shouldn't be grounds for suspicion, but then post B (which seems to clearly be a joke to most of us?) is grounds for suspicion.

setting aside meta considerations positively or negatively because I don't want to play that way and I encourage the rest of you to do so as well seeing as we are test subjects

This sort of trip-up feels to me like she might have forgotten responding to post A by the time she went to criticize post B, having to manufacture elements of her story in one or more areas of that sequence.

i dont think this is really any better but here you go

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

"aggression"

god loving forbid I get suspicious when I signed up for a limited-information game and discover that people who were in a different game somehow have more information about it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

This isn't going anywhere good or useful.

Replacement, please.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Did it occur to you to ask? Do you always understand every scrap of information dished out on day 1? Because I sure as hell don't. This game happens to be an exception but it is a sole exception in a mountain of "yeah I have no idea what that means or if it's

FL has a lovely flavor for this game and is utilizing a Myst-associated "vanity account"(?) to facilitate that flavor.
I think it's pretty obvious that he needs a non-votefinder spectator to test some of the things he wants to test, and why not have some fun while doing it.
A lot of them played Myst, so sure, there are some in-jokes, but there are always in-jokes. They're jokes. They are jokes that are over half a year old and they are still making us smile.
It's no different than if I were to say to Podima that something was "onystly"

If that makes you legitimately suspicious inside the context of a mafia game, then that's cause for suspicion, but it isn't cause for:

hexwren posted:

Something something injoke? I got nothin'.

hexwren posted:

I mostly thought I was signing up for this game not a different game.

hexwren posted:

Like, if anything, I'm more tempted to vote for the people who are in some other game instead of this one. Which brings us back to those earlier posts.

hexwren posted:

Also "serious question" alert, here we go. god forbid I talk poo poo day one. "oh look I'm pods, I can go on and on about other poo poo and when someone calls me on it TIME TO GET UP IN THEIR poo poo"

hexwren posted:

"aggression"

god loving forbid I get suspicious when I signed up for a limited-information game and discover that people who were in a different game somehow have more information about it.

This actually speaks to a problem I'm trying to work on with limiting access to information. A lot of people don't see the information they think they need to be able to see in order to proceed and they don't want to engage with it as a result, they throw their hands up in frustration because it just isn't fun for them.

Recently, after a session, I let a d&d player in on a small little alternative solution she could have tried had she thought outside the box of what she believed was the case; she got frustrated because, in summary, I had said act A wasn't possible, and while hints B-D were there, they weren't meant to be explicit hints, my hope was that they would encourage interaction with the environ - investigation that would lead to trying something that might not work but tada!! That was a possible solution!! The larger puzzle was solved in a way I wasn't anticipating at all, but followed the expectations of the puzzle and so the crew broke the gently caress out the jail.

curiously slash perhaps most wonderfully to me, the second character wasn't even aware there was a puzzle, she was just dicking around and tripped right over her secret by total accident.

That said, I still think its regrettable that you want to bail, and if you're down I'd sincerely like to understand it when this game/test is wrapped up. I'm having a hell of a time finding the right balance between obfuscation to encourage curiosity and experimentation against the illusion of impossibility which leads to frustration and disengagement.

But I suppose none of this is relevant to the test or the game in the end.

three rewrites is probably the best I'm gonna get out of this

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
wait so there’s a bunch of references to some other mafia game? i feel less stupid now for struggling to know what the gently caress is going on

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
it wasn't a mafia game but it doesn't really matter, we could be making references to space jam and it'd be the same drat situation

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
A lot of it is that we have no effective d1 deadline that I can see. I'm not feeling too much pressure to bulldog anyone down d1 since I don't know when it's going to end.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

A lot of it is that we have no effective d1 deadline that I can see. I'm not feeling too much pressure to bulldog anyone down d1 since I don't know when it's going to end.

You say this and then realise deadline is tomorrow evening.

You moron.

You don't make cases because you're poo poo at mafia.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Podima posted:

Which post are you saying was an obvious joke? Here is the original post I cased OMG on and his reaction to when I cased him on it:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

##vote b-minus1

votefinder pming a character list doesn’t sound implausible given the other wacky nonsense happening, but your post skeeves me tf out.

----

fair. i haven’t played mafia in like a year and I jumped back in with a game where the mod is doing all kinds of convention-busting poo poo so I figured I’d press it.

If he responded to my vote with "I was just loving around", maybe, but he gave me a serious-enough-sounding explanation when I cased him on it.

Hal Incandenza posted:

What don't you like about my posting this game?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

A-HA! Red handed trying to minimize the number of... hypothetical...

ahem.

If there were 3 scum in a 9-player game and town mislynched D1 it'd be LYLO d2 so I don't really think it's rocket science to say there's probably less than 3 scum, especially when you factor in the Hated mechanic.

Podima posted:

Do you agree with the general point I was making? The only 9-player game I can recall ever playing was Commercials Mafia which had 2 scum (as I'm sure you remember, heh)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Natural 20 posted:

You say this and then realise deadline is tomorrow evening.

You moron.

You don't make cases because you're poo poo at mafia.

I'm honestly curious if there's anything to read into between the flavor of this game and Tea/20's seemingly slow descent into madness.

Nat20: who scum?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

peramene posted:

I'm finding this one really hard to clarify. Like okay - she says that post A is a joke post and shouldn't be grounds for suspicion, but then post B (which seems to clearly be a joke to most of us?) is grounds for suspicion.

Can you rephrase this post using quotes of mine because I can't tell if you're not getting what I'm saying or if I'm not getting what you're saying.

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
I'm going to drop the bit for a moment, because I think there's some confusion that has come to a head here on the part of a few people and I think it's because I didn't make things clear enough. That's on me.

There are three flavor accounts in this game - me, votefinder, and Daniels. The flavor in this game has just been me loving around - there isn't anything else to it, and solving any perceived puzzles won't get you powers or role info or anything like that. Out of game knowledge will not help you solve the game. The only thing that's happened so far that was game-affecting was the new anti-lurker thing.

Like I said, this is a standard Mafia game, and I wouldn't lie about that. I apologize for not being clearer at the outset about this and for letting this go for as long as it did without correcting things. If anyone still feels that they were misled by this game or that this isn't what they signed up for, please send me a PM on Discord or here and I will get replacements going.

Soaring Kestrel fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Dec 8, 2017

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
as long as i get to kill scum im happy

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm honestly curious if there's anything to read into between the flavor of this game and Tea/20's seemingly slow descent into madness.

/tableflip

I'M AWAKE I GUESS

I might forget to follow through on this and even though it's literally the only thing in my hands as far as "hmmm"s at the moment I'll endeavor to recheck and outline and identify with a laser pointer a little later today

b-minus1 posted:

as long as i get to kill [...] im happy

hmm

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
[...] = scum

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
who is [...]?

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

who is [...]?

You know... scum.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hexwren posted:

Replacement, please.

Really? I mean I didn't play in their other game either but it's just D1 so I am ok with people goofing around.

I understand wanting your serious mafia fix though.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

What don't you like about my posting this game?

Hard to put my finger on a specific thing, but even now you are posting but I don't feel like you are invested in anything you are saying, just looking for things you can quote and respond to so you look engaged.

Also I am just naturally suspicious of you

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

YT get back in here and respond to yourself, I want to see where this is going

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

hexwren posted:

Replacement, please.

I gotta admit "not going anywhere good or useful" is the best description of day 1 mafia i've ever seen

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

[quote="“peramene”" post="“479136823”"]
I’m finding this one really hard to clarify. Like okay - she says that post A is a joke post and shouldn’t be grounds for suspicion, but then post B (which seems to clearly be a joke to most of us?) is grounds for suspicion.
[/quote]

Can you quote posts A and B that you're referring to in this case? I literally don't understand what you're referring to :ohdear:

quote:

This sort of trip-up feels to me like she might have forgotten responding to post A by the time she went to criticize post B, having to manufacture elements of her story in one or more areas of that sequence.

i dont think this is really any better but here you go

If you think I did that, why not vote me?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

I'm phoneposting, apologies for the botched quote. Also of note is that I'm going to sleep soon (I work overnights and sleep afternoons) and will likely be gone for awhile.

I'm starting to get a bit suspicious of pera but I'll wait until we interact more before going there. Also I'm cooling on Wren (and hope he sticks around /has fun playing!)

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

[quote="“Hal Incandenza”" post="“479155190”"]
Hard to put my finger on a specific thing, but even now you are posting but I don’t feel like you are invested in anything you are saying, just looking for things you can quote and respond to so you look engaged.
[/quote]

How invested are you expecting me to be at the start of d1? I'll own up to the fact that I'm looking for things to quote and respond to to try and get people talking, if that helps.

quote:

Also I am just naturally suspicious of you

:eng99:

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
what the hexk is going on in this crazy thread

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

hexwren posted:

But this I don't get.

I thought that the following posts were too spooky

hexwren posted:

probably nothing good

hexwren posted:

Trying to derail town from getting any work done and maybe risking everyone in the process?

Do not taunt happy fun rampant system.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
between yorkie talking to himself and all the weird flavor(?) stuff, I can't tell what's actually happening except I guess I missed a 24h deadline in there somehow?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Podima posted:

This feels like an overreaction. You emptyquoted MMT saying that a NPC post made her suspect two other players more, with no other comment. Why the clap-back when asked about your intent?

I agree w this. I put a vote out early because it felt like wren jumped to attempted town derailing really fast.

Podima posted:

I'm conflicted about this because I feel like it's more likely that kind poster OMG assumed he could talk it up from 2 to 3.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

sentimental snail posted:

between yorkie talking to himself and all the weird flavor(?) stuff, I can't tell what's actually happening except I guess I missed a 24h deadline in there somehow?

worry not sweetheart, it's just day 1

that said yeah, every calendar day between 8 and 8 in the evening EST you gotta make at least 5 posts or otherwise face designation as a lurker

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
##vote natural 20

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Podima posted:

:thunk:

i wasn’t joking, and said so:

OMGVBFLOL posted:

fair. i haven’t played mafia in like a year and I jumped back in with a game where the mod is doing all kinds of convention-busting poo poo so I figured I’d press it.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you quote posts A and B that you're referring to in this case? I literally don't understand what you're referring to :ohdear:

If you think I did that, why not vote me?

hi yes, hello. I would also like to ask these questions that were asked above

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
kill dorkshire! the person actually intent on white noising over d1, imqho

• Locked thread