Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
incoming hopefully very brief clarification on my MMT "finger of suspicion" as we used to call it back in the irc days

firstly -

Murmur Twin posted:

I think 2 is the norm for 9-player games but don't quote me on that.

:snake: :heart: :evergreen_tree: i get to make this joke twice <3

secondly -

OMGVBFLOL posted:

##vote b-minus1

votefinder pming a character list doesn’t sound implausible given the other wacky nonsense happening, but your post skeeves me tf out. unless you want to reveal the contents you can get d!!!!!!

"Post A"

Murmur Twin posted:

That said, I agree with Pod that Wren's reaction to what was an (imo obvious?) jokevote feels unnaturally self-conscious and so my vote there is now real.

"Post B"

Murmur Twin posted:

Actually hmmm ##vote OMG. On a reread OMG's first sentence looks a lot to me like scum trying to fake content. I can't imagine anyone actually taking b-minus' post seriously.

Podima posted:

I don't agree with this btw, I still think wren's post was an overreaction but this was an apparent joke. Why are you jumping at it?

thirdly - (some of these are out of order for the sake of legibility and/or clarity)

Murmur Twin posted:

I think 2 is the norm for 9-player games but don't quote me on that.

peramene posted:

A-HA! Red handed trying to minimize the number of... hypothetical... [scum]

ahem.

Podima posted:

Would you say this is enough reason to vote MMT or not?

Murmur Twin posted:

Can you quote posts A and B that you're referring to in this case? I literally don't understand what you're referring to :ohdear:

If you think I did that, why not vote me?

peramene posted:

hell no - admittedly my bar seems to be much higher than the norm, i dont like just tossing serious votes on the fire scum or town

peramene posted:

I concur re: this tho, especially when in one hand there's critique of joke-[vote]-vengeance and then the pivot to strike out against the joke [attempt to take vengeance on a jokevote]

I hope that clears things up! :D I blame my difficulties with conveying coherent messages on a combination of already being Verbose but now I've got the drat Xanax, and I think I'm finally accepting that that's gotta be it, and that it isn't just people being mean to me. My brain fog is SUPER intense at the moment so this'll be the last thing approaching an effortpost for a while. Sorry it took so long, but I did say it would take me awhile!! fwiw I am a big fan of your posting as always and am super excited to play with you, this is just a day 1 peculiarity i wanted to call attention to (which is frankly the most i ever expect to get out of day 1). If you think this is worth any kind of response whatsoever, I will however endeavour to respond appropriately. <3

[out of game biases and bullshit aside] my current suspicions are hovering about MMT, b-minus1, and sentimental snail. the above is a bit of a minor tiebreaker, but with (what I believe to be at least) a FANTASTIC game like this, I feel like low post counts are more of a tolling bell than usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i wasn’t joking

:psyboom:

##vote omgvbflol

an addendum to the top of my prior suspect-considerations

I am uncomfortable that this is -2 but want to be clear that the line between "hmm... curious" and "outright suspicion" is just before this.

Please do not vote omg if you don't mean it

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I've been out drinking I'm meant to be out tomorrow, honestly the Saturday night deadline is a killer.

I'll post a bunch when I get home.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

I've been out drinking I'm meant to be out tomorrow, honestly the Saturday night deadline is a killer.

I'll post a bunch when I get home.

Oh gently caress off you have no intention of updating tonight, the same way you said you were going home at 5:30 and ended up at a play where you then downed a bottle of wine.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh gently caress off you have no intention of updating tonight, the same way you said you were going home at 5:30 and ended up at a play where you then downed a bottle of wine.

Oh screw you my private life is my own.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh screw you my private life is my own.

Yeah, well you're going to get voted for not actually providing any real content.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

peramene posted:

:psyboom:

##vote omgvbflol

an addendum to the top of my prior suspect-considerations

I am uncomfortable that this is -2 but want to be clear that the line between "hmm... curious" and "outright suspicion" is just before this.

Please do not vote omg if you don't mean it

uhhh, the post of mine i quoted yesterday already clearly explained my rationale, the post from today just repeated it.

but now that the deadline’s closer, you’re making a big show of jumping on it, AND trying to preemptively defend yourself after saying you wont be around much? that smells like horseshit to me

##vote peramene

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah, well you're going to get voted for not actually providing any real content.

I have content damnit. I think it amazingly stupid that you'd think that someone got the scum list d1 but stupid isn't necessarily scum.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

I have content damnit. I think it amazingly stupid that you'd think that someone got the scum list d1 but stupid isn't necessarily scum.

So you think pera jumping on an obviously weird case is scummy?

My God you're stupid.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Vig yourself, you’re asking for it

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

My apologies for walking away, I've been spending the day unplugged from the internet to get some other things in order without distractions. While I did find it frustrating that the various shenanigans appeared to imply that out of game knowledge would be necessary or rewarded (compounded by certain players making statements that could be interpreted as having influence on the moderating of the game because of this knowledge) I did not comport myself in a mature manner, and I apologize for that. I should not have been dealing with other people yesterday, let alone playing Mafia. I've spoken with FL on the issue and have decided to return to the game, unless anyone else has an issue with that, in which case I'll pass my role back to FL to give to a replacement.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

(wren, bad at communicating any thought more complex than "I like tacos", film at eleven)

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Three things ping me.

Hal basically hasn't posted anything these past few days beyond two line questions to basically anything around. Whilst I understand being busy, the contribution presented is minimal at best:

Hal Incandenza posted:

Hard to put my finger on a specific thing, but even now you are posting but I don't feel like you are invested in anything you are saying, just looking for things you can quote and respond to so you look engaged.

Also I am just naturally suspicious of you

I feel like this is the only post of any substance beyond posts calling for me to come back and talk about the other guy being a massive bastard all the time about literally anything I say.

But beyond that Sentimental Snail has done nothing at all, the only matter of substance he has down is to vote me because I'm having an argument with a dude that's trying to poo poo all over every little thing I say.

Finally here's what B-minus has had to say that has any bearing on anything:

b-minus1 posted:

I gotta admit "not going anywhere good or useful" is the best description of day 1 mafia i've ever seen

This is a YT stance from when I was constantly lying about my meta to stop myself from being lynched, without actually having that meta tell. It's generally incorrect and tops off a sundae of B-minus not actually contributing anything of meaning at all for multiple days.

Usually I couldn't care less about lurking, but the votecounter punishment for being afk is genuinely light relative to what I'm used to so it's going to be fairly easy to lurk in this game as long as you seem to be vaguely active.

Beyond that, there's a case on Hexwren as frustrated scum, but it feels really really nasty to jump on that straight off and that's not the kind of mafia player I want to be.

Reads on other players:

Peramene is a bit of a mystery, I don't understand half the references to other games and the giant explanations of what's going on are confusing to me. But confusing isn't a scumtell so much as it is a confusing person tell.

MMT I have a town read on because their confusion feels organic and their subsequent reasoning around it makes sense. Even if they're not their questioning has lead to at least some productive discussion, which is pro town even if they're scum.

I'm going to ##vote b-minus for the moment, with the caveat that I'm going to be out of action for the majority of tomorrow. I'll revise if anything important comes to light or I'm needed to stop a no lynch D1.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh well loving done, you've posted 10 lines that essentially amounts to "Lynch lurkers," you're the best mafia player in the loving world.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Oh well loving done, you've posted 10 lines that essentially amounts to "Lynch lurkers," you're the best mafia player in the loving world.

Look, it's a set of cases, it's not the best set, but it's D1, cases are never going to be great, but we at least get somewhere with them.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Look, it's a set of cases, it's not the best set, but it's D1, cases are never going to be great, but we at least get somewhere with them.

b-minus1 posted:

I gotta admit "not going anywhere good or useful" is the best description of day 1 mafia i've ever seen

How are these two standards any different to each other then? You won't be able to tell me because they're not.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hal lurking isn't immediately a scum tell, as he lurked so hard I had to modkill him in a game where his role was Innocent Child (with the caveat that his flip wouldn't be posted until he asked me to as a night action.)

That said, I don't like his content much, either.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hot take: Is Nat20's self-inflicted PR an artificial way to inflate his post count?

My other game has a deadline in less than half a hour, I'll catch up afterwards.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

Hot take: Is Nat20's self-inflicted PR an artificial way to inflate his post count?

My other game has a deadline in less than half a hour, I'll catch up afterwards.

Until he made that recent post I was thinking he was using it to avoid scumhunting but his last few posts are very solid

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

hexwren posted:

Hal lurking isn't immediately a scum tell, as he lurked so hard I had to modkill him in a game where his role was Innocent Child (with the caveat that his flip wouldn't be posted until he asked me to as a night action.)

That said, I don't like his content much, either.

My only modkill ever, to my eternal shame

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Murmur Twin posted:

How invested are you expecting me to be at the start of d1? I'll own up to the fact that I'm looking for things to quote and respond to to try and get people talking, if that helps.

:eng99:

I don’t expect you to be too invested. You seemed to be trying very hard to LOOK invested though. I get the trying to get people to talk bit but you still don’t seem to be using whatever info you gleaned to expand on any of these ideas so far

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop

BEEP BOOP

THE SECOND COUNTDOWN PERIOD ERIOD ERIOD ERIODERIODERIODERIODERIERIERIERIERIERIkzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

• Natural 20: 34 (+12!)
  • peramene: 34 (+13!)
  • hexwren: 22 (+8!)
  • OMGVBFLOL: 19 (+7!)
  • Podima: 16 (+6!)
  • Murmur Twin: 17 (+8!)
  • Hal Incandenza: 18 (+10!)
  • b-minus1: 9 (+3)
  • sentimental snail: 13 (+7!)

YOU LARGELY SUCCEEDED

FURTHER ITERATION IS REQUIRED

##vote b-minus1

[ fl@votefinder /usr/bin ] $ help
"help" NOT FOUND
DID YOU MEAN:
--------
fix_mafia [ --force ]
load_simulation [ -i id ]
fix_mafia [ --force ]
restore_backup [ -i input ]
fix_mafia [ --force ]
useradd [ -u username ]
fix_mafia [ --force ]
post_vc
fix_mafia [ --force ]

[ fl@votefinder /usr/bin ] $ useradd -u ckd
[ fl@votefinder /usr/bin ] $ sleep 300 && post_vc && exit

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Beep boop THIS votefinder

##vote votefinder

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 1

b-minus1 (3): peramene, peramene, OMGVBFLOL, OMGVBFLOL, Natural 20, Anonymous, Anonymous
OMGVBFLOL (3): Murmur Twin, peramene, Anonymous
peramene (2): peramene, peramene, Podima, OMGVBFLOL
Podima (1): peramene, peramene, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Anonymous
Hal Incandenza (1): Natural 20, Hal Incandenza, peramene, peramene, Natural 20, Hal Incandenza, Anonymous
sentimental snail (1): peramene, peramene, Anonymous
Natural 20 (1): sentimental snail
Murmur Twin (1): peramene, peramene, Hal Incandenza
hexwren (0): peramene, peramene, sentimental snail, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, sentimental snail

Not Voting (2): b-minus1, hexwren

There are 9 players alive. It will take 5 votes to remove a player from testing. The current deadline is December 09th, 2017 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 1 day, 1 hour.

The next postcount requirement is ???????. There is no postcount deadline.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?

Podima posted:

this is why I voted for yorkie but I also agree w hal

Hal Incandenza posted:

Until he made that recent post I was thinking he was using it to avoid scumhunting but his last few posts are very solid

I think I would like to kill wren, omg, or peramene, today

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Which post are you saying was an obvious joke? Here is the original post I cased OMG on and his reaction to when I cased him on it:

If he responded to my vote with "I was just loving around", maybe, but he gave me a serious-enough-sounding explanation when I cased him on it.

The latter sentence made it obvious it was a joke, and while in retrospect I see you were only talking about his first sentence, his serious response does clash with that. Fair point on this one!

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you agree with the general point I was making? The only 9-player game I can recall ever playing was Commercials Mafia which had 2 scum (as I'm sure you remember, heh)

You misunderstood, that was me pushing peramene to make a game-related call instead of peraposting. (Read it in combination with the post right before it)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

:thunk:

i wasn’t joking, and said so:

hold up you actually thought someone could conceivably have gotten a list of all scum? geez.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
yall are reading way too far into what amounted to "i can't tell what the hell's going on d1, would the mod throw names at someone and lie about it to stir some poo poo? i guess? let's throw a vote and see if bminus clams up or freaks out or something"

maybe if i'd just spammed gibberish all d1 so far i'd be in a better situation

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

I actually disagree, that post is a lot of words that, as he said himself, calls out lurkers and not much else. Heck, he uses his own meta on the b-minus case that eventually becomes a vote. What?

Also it's self-centered but I have not posted much in this game, so it's weird that if he was calling out lurkers he didn't bother mentioning me in the context of Hal/snail.

##vote Natural ONE

Soaring Kestrel
Nov 7, 2009

For Whiterock.
Fun Shoe
A distant tapping can be heard on the hull of the test chamber. It's too quiet to pinpoint the direction from which it's coming, but you definitely hear something.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Lol @voting for me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Podima posted:

I actually disagree, that post is a lot of words that, as he said himself, calls out lurkers and not much else. Heck, he uses his own meta on the b-minus case that eventually becomes a vote. What?

Also it's self-centered but I have not posted much in this game, so it's weird that if he was calling out lurkers he didn't bother mentioning me in the context of Hal/snail.

##vote Natural ONE

Yeah I get where you are coming from, maybe I was too dazzled by the effort

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Podima posted:

##vote Natural ONE

Podima posted:

Do you two sincerely think the mod's vanity account would call out scum on Day 1? This is a serious question.

Podima posted:

This feels like an overreaction. You emptyquoted MMT saying that a NPC post made her suspect two other players more, with no other comment. Why the clap-back when asked about your intent?

Podima posted:

Would you say this is enough reason to vote MMT or not?

Podima posted:

I don't agree with this btw, I still think wren's post was an overreaction but this was an apparent joke. Why are you jumping at it?

A summary of your posts which contribute to the discussion prior to my own.

I'm unsure why you feel you rank among players who have said literally nothing of substance, but you clearly don't.

At least some work has been done here to undo an early misunderstanding and to ask about motivations.

In another game I might call it out as nothing but the standard here is low enough and it's early enough that I didn't think it was warranted.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Holy poo poo he calls out low standard posting in the same breath as spouting that poo poo.

I was able to undercut your case on b-minus in two seconds.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Natural 20 posted:

Holy poo poo he calls out low standard posting in the same breath as spouting that poo poo.

I was able to undercut your case on b-minus in two seconds.

Natural 20 posted:

How are these two standards any different to each other then? You won't be able to tell me because they're not.

The standards are different because one claims d1 has little value and the other claims that d1 cases are hard to make.

They can be exclusive things.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say I've ever been "well, actually," told that I was posting just fine in a mafia game before.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Hal Incandenza posted:

I don’t expect you to be too invested. You seemed to be trying very hard to LOOK invested though. I get the trying to get people to talk bit but you still don’t seem to be using whatever info you gleaned to expand on any of these ideas so far

What's your opinion on Snail? I feel like he's doing that far worse than me.

sentimental snail posted:

##vote natural 20

---

kill dorkshire! the person actually intent on white noising over d1, imqho

---

this is why I voted for yorkie but I also agree w hal

I think I would like to kill wren, omg, or peramene, today

Snail's game so far:

- votes Nat20 with no real case, later clarifies "he's using white noise to distract"
- acknowledges Nat20's casework is solid, by agreeing with Hal
- lists three other people he wants to kill, without explaining why or casting a new vote

He doesn't look like someone who is at all interested in figuring out who scum is. His opinions read to me like someone who knows he has to put some content out there and is going through the motions.

Snail: why Wren/OMG/pera? Why list those names if you're not going to case/vote for them?

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Forgot to vote ##vote snail

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

Also for the record I'm leaning reasonably town on Nat20 and strongly disagree with the votes on him. To me "is representing a PR but is also still posting a lot" screams VT who wants to have fun, and "he's scum posting white noise to distract us" (in a 9-player game with 6 pages of posts) sounds wrong at best and fake at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

hexwren posted:

My apologies for walking away, I've been spending the day unplugged from the internet to get some other things in order without distractions. While I did find it frustrating that the various shenanigans appeared to imply that out of game knowledge would be necessary or rewarded (compounded by certain players making statements that could be interpreted as having influence on the moderating of the game because of this knowledge) I did not comport myself in a mature manner, and I apologize for that. I should not have been dealing with other people yesterday, let alone playing Mafia. I've spoken with FL on the issue and have decided to return to the game, unless anyone else has an issue with that, in which case I'll pass my role back to FL to give to a replacement.

You aren't the first person to lose their cool in Mafia (source) and you won't be the last :glomp:

• Locked thread