Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

votefinder posted:

You've already been very helpful.

##vote votefinder

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't! Curse you!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

##unvote
##OMGVBFLOL

scumbuddy found

##vote peramene

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
also that's some impressive postcount paddin' from peramene, i will say

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flying Leatherman posted:

Okay. Okay. I think I've got this under control, for now anyway. There's something else going on, I'm not sure what yet, but this wasn't just me getting things back under wraps.

I'm not sure how much time I have, so I'll go ahead and let you know what we've got coming up today. I couldn't stop that countdown from going off, but I figured out what it is. It looks like Votefinder's trying to experiment with lurker mechanics.

After 8 pm tonight (US/Eastern), everyone's got a counter: for every 24 hours that go by in a game day (8 pm to 8 pm) where a player doesn't make five posts, they're going to get an anonymous vote..

I'm still trying to figure out how I managed to get this much control back, so I need to start diving into that. Other than that, the robot was telling the truth - he didn't make any changes to my setup, this is still a completely traditional Mafia game.

This is pretty cool tbh.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
i'm just making this 5x combo post to be ironic, let's be real here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

lol that is just incredible. it's not even conscious anymore.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Haha this seriously does make me suspect pera and Pod the most.

Do you two sincerely think the mod's vanity account would call out scum on Day 1? This is a serious question.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

Also "serious question" alert, here we go.

god forbid I talk poo poo day one.

"oh look I'm pods, I can go on and on about other poo poo and when someone calls me on it TIME TO GET UP IN THEIR poo poo"

This feels like an overreaction. You emptyquoted MMT saying that a NPC post made her suspect two other players more, with no other comment. Why the clap-back when asked about your intent?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
lmao that av

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

Flying Leatherman, Verus Rettig, self-aligned serial killer, has been deleted for failure to follow testing protocols.

"I have no idea what happened to Zulea. If somebody had murdered her though, they'd have to be pretty good at murders."

play mafia

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

A-HA! Red handed trying to minimize the number of... hypothetical...

ahem.

Would you say this is enough reason to vote MMT or not?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Actually hmmm ##vote OMG

On a reread OMG's first sentence looks a lot to me like scum trying to fake content. I can't imagine anyone actually taking b-minus' post seriously.

I don't agree with this btw, I still think wren's post was an overreaction but this was an apparent joke. Why are you jumping at it?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
this time I'm going to post five posts AFTER votefinder announces its arbitrary limit I guess!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hot take: Is Nat20's self-inflicted PR an artificial way to inflate his post count?

My other game has a deadline in less than half a hour, I'll catch up afterwards.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

Which post are you saying was an obvious joke? Here is the original post I cased OMG on and his reaction to when I cased him on it:

If he responded to my vote with "I was just loving around", maybe, but he gave me a serious-enough-sounding explanation when I cased him on it.

The latter sentence made it obvious it was a joke, and while in retrospect I see you were only talking about his first sentence, his serious response does clash with that. Fair point on this one!

Murmur Twin posted:

Do you agree with the general point I was making? The only 9-player game I can recall ever playing was Commercials Mafia which had 2 scum (as I'm sure you remember, heh)

You misunderstood, that was me pushing peramene to make a game-related call instead of peraposting. (Read it in combination with the post right before it)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

:thunk:

i wasn’t joking, and said so:

hold up you actually thought someone could conceivably have gotten a list of all scum? geez.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

Until he made that recent post I was thinking he was using it to avoid scumhunting but his last few posts are very solid

I actually disagree, that post is a lot of words that, as he said himself, calls out lurkers and not much else. Heck, he uses his own meta on the b-minus case that eventually becomes a vote. What?

Also it's self-centered but I have not posted much in this game, so it's weird that if he was calling out lurkers he didn't bother mentioning me in the context of Hal/snail.

##vote Natural ONE

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I can't say I've ever been "well, actually," told that I was posting just fine in a mafia game before.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Murmur Twin posted:

What's your opinion on Snail? I feel like he's doing that far worse than me.

Snail's game so far:

- votes Nat20 with no real case, later clarifies "he's using white noise to distract"
- acknowledges Nat20's casework is solid, by agreeing with Hal
- lists three other people he wants to kill, without explaining why or casting a new vote

He doesn't look like someone who is at all interested in figuring out who scum is. His opinions read to me like someone who knows he has to put some content out there and is going through the motions.

Snail: why Wren/OMG/pera? Why list those names if you're not going to case/vote for them?

I want Snail to answer this question, but your first two bullet points don't tell the whole story - Nat20 actually made some casing posts in between them. That's literally what Hal's post was about that he was agreeing with.

This pings me from MMT, on top of her jumping on the obvious [...] joke thing from pera. In fact, that's the second time I've said that about her in the span of just this first game day.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
re: Snail I see what you're getting at, but not with the same level of certainty you do. Hence why I want to see him elucidate.

re: the ellipse, what bothers me is that you actually went to the extent of theorizing about scummy ninja edits and integrating them into your reads:

Murmur Twin posted:

Also this is kind of weird. Did this originally say [...] or something? pera and OMG reference it but I don't understand where that came from.

If it did and then got ninja'ed to later say "scum", b-minus rockets up my suspect list because it makes me think he was thinking too hard about what he was writing (specifically that we don't know the scum alignment) instead of just speaking off the cuff.

Which a) is a stretch to begin with for inclusion in your suspect list and b) if that was actually the case, why on earth would pera/OMG not have called that out before you?

It just doesn't ring true as a scumhunting justification. Not votable at this time, but enough to raise an eyebrow.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i assumed clipping the word scum out was a joking accusation of being a serial killer and i played along with it, i didnt see any ninja edit

That being said, I forgot to bring this up earlier - OMG wins the booby prize for being the first one to mention 3Ps in a serious way when justifying his posting!!! (I consider that scummy on top of the other stuff MMT already mentioned and would vote OMG today.)

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
mafia edit to elaborate: if you bring up serial killers specifically, you're not thinking about scumhunting as a townie.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

that’s a huuuuuuuge stretch dude. i explicitly said i was playing along with a joke. to you that reads as “in a serious way when justifying his posting”?

My point is that when reading it as a joke, you (per your own post) said that you saw it as a joke about calling b- a SK. Why not a joke about calling him scum? pera's post works both ways.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Hal Incandenza posted:

I have not thought a whit about snail before but let me dig into that

Did you dig too deep, Hal? Come back up for air!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd go for Nat20, OMG, or to a lesser extent MMT. I'd appreciate it if people could look back at Nat20, I feel like since he's not posting in the current timeframe people are forgetting about him.

I also don't like that peramene's discussion in the masonchat has reportedly been unproductive w/r/t scumhunting, and in a 9-player game I feel like the members of an an unconfirmed masonry are in and of themselves suspect purely based on numbers - but I'm willing to see how that shakes out in the coming days. To that end I don't feel like voting either of them today.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

I'm not sure about MMT as a target, I can't see intentional misinterpretation as a scum gambit that would go anywhere useful, but I'm willing to flip if that's all we have.

still don't like snail, definitely don't like this masonry business, definitely don't like snail pushing mmt late

mmmmmmm i don't care for this one whit.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

that seemed to be the main thrust of the case people are bringing up on MMT and there was next to no activity in the thread when I said it, so it seemed unlikely to get enough people to make a decision happen at the time. I stand by that statement as reasonable at the time.

I don't really like how you minimized all the other stuff going on today to make it out like MMT was the default option.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The frigging votecount is real hard to read with all the anon votes on there, my goodness.

b-minus, where are you at? This is the last you posted that was game-related:

b-minus1 posted:

I like you and I like this post. I think we can be friends.

You are town for (rightfully) calling me out for not casing anyone.
Policy town read of hal.
MMT and podima have provided the most content, which could be a friendly town scum tactic, but leaning town for now.
Neutral on everyone else, no strong scum reads at the moment

Would appreciate an updated read.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

peramene posted:

things have now changed, this close to deadline? which is peculiar to me. does he want my vote off OMG? onto you? onto Pod? he's giving me lots of options to consider rather than pushing just one, which seems wicked suspicious to me now that deadline approaches

i would actually read this in the exact opposite way you do - more options than just one is good and correct.

don't like your continental drift onto snail here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

Gonna be honest, had some unexpected irl poo poo go down this afternoon and I have not been paying attention to the thread. When is the deadline? I’ll try to get caught up now

*quietly clears away the screenshot of the 'users browsing The Game Room' from his clipboard*

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
##vote OMG

Enough people have expressed an interest in this one but not actually plunked a vote down, let's see what happens.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
for personal ref later:

Votecount for Day 1

b-minus1 (3): peramene, peramene, OMGVBFLOL, OMGVBFLOL, Natural 20, Anonymous, Anonymous
sentimental snail (3): peramene, peramene, Murmur Twin, hexwren, Anonymous
OMGVBFLOL (2): Murmur Twin, peramene, Murmur Twin, peramene, Podima, Anonymous
Murmur Twin (2): peramene, peramene, Hal Incandenza, sentimental snail
Podima (1): peramene, peramene, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, Anonymous
Hal Incandenza (1): Natural 20, Hal Incandenza, peramene, peramene, Natural 20, Hal Incandenza, Anonymous
peramene (1): peramene, peramene, Podima, OMGVBFLOL, Podima
Natural 20 (0): sentimental snail, Podima, sentimental snail, Podima
hexwren (0): peramene, peramene, sentimental snail, Murmur Twin, Murmur Twin, sentimental snail

Not Voting (2): b-minus1, peramene

There are 9 players alive. It will take 5 votes to remove a player from testing. The current deadline is December 09th, 2017 at 10 p.m. EST -- that's in about 42 minutes.

The next postcount requirement is ???????. There is no postcount deadline.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OMGVBFLOL posted:

fancy that, bminus shows up just in time to help hammer whichever townie is closest to a mislynch

why do you say this like you have knowledge that the people close to a lynch aren't scum

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

b-minus1 posted:

Really Hate to do this but I don’t have time to read the thread. I’m a restless townie, I visit a player every night. That’s it. Based on the rest of my pm I’m assuming there is either a tracker or watcher in this game, perhaps both. Sorry guys. To be fair to everyone, I’ll abstain from voting for tonight only

you had exactly one non-anon vote on you dude

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
*extremely nat20 voice* ACTUALYLY,,,,,,,,,

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hexwren posted:

b-minus is -1, 27 minutes.

This is scummy when b- had two anon votes on him and you could have hammered. Don't want to get heat for hammering?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Join me on OMG, friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I am definitely not paying enough attention to this game to know whether the anon votes are for voting votefinder or for inactivity!

• Locked thread