Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Orv posted:

Winters Grasp.

Oh what do you know, they already had one but I give so few fucks about playing that I never ran across them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why on earth should Trials Rewards and Raid Rewards be available to those who don't complete the activities?

Being able to get a small boost from your clanmates without having to grind through the activities you aren't interested in is good game design.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

ponzicar posted:

Being able to get a small boost from your clanmates without having to grind through the activities you aren't interested in is good game design.

A small light level boost is fine, but free end game gear without having to play is scub teir. It's not worth getting upset over, but it is entirely dumb as gently caress.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

el B posted:

A small light level boost is fine, but free end game gear without having to play is scub teir. It's not worth getting upset over, but it is entirely dumb as gently caress.

Wise, and also just [nods sagely]

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Why on earth should Trials Rewards and Raid Rewards be available to those who don't complete the activities?

Because Trials rewards are hardly available to anyone, especially on PC. Trials needs a whole re-think, because as it is there's no incentive for over 90% of the people who play to even try. But the current Claymore situation shows that the game design team is listening mostly to people who are good at Crucible already, but suggest that it should be easier for them to retain their dominance without trying so hard by making good guns that fall exclusively into their hands.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
THE REWARDS ARE THE INCENTIVE FOR PLAYING

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Sorry, I don't "play" games.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Craptacular! posted:

Because Trials rewards are hardly available to anyone, especially on PC. Trials needs a whole re-think, because as it is there's no incentive for over 90% of the people who play to even try. But the current Claymore situation shows that the game design team is listening mostly to people who are good at Crucible already, but suggest that it should be easier for them to retain their dominance without trying so hard by making good guns that fall exclusively into their hands.

holy gently caress dude i was one of the biggest proponents of the trials/raid loot clan engrams but this argument loving sucks rear end

see also:

el B posted:

THE REWARDS ARE THE INCENTIVE FOR PLAYING

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Craptacular! posted:

Like it was cool that people who didn't play Trials got Trials guns, but unfortunately that meant that nobody plays Trials

Orv
May 4, 2011

Waffle House posted:

Like it was cool that people who didn't play Trials got Trials guns, but unfortunately that meant that nobody plays Trials

Nobody played Trials either way, having access to them without slamming your face in the door of hypersperg Destiny PvPers was neat. Similarly the numbers for raid completion/participation probably aren't a great deal higher than they were in D1, since guided games are a trash fire. Somewhere in the middle like a minimum attempt requirement to garner Trials/Raid gear from those emblems, like a boss done once a week or a single Trials card completed seems like a decent in between.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
PC Trials loving sucks because you have to win 7 games in a row without ramming into one of the sweaty groups getting their own flawless/doing paid carries/account recoveries OR you just cheese it with VPN which defeats the whole purpose of PvP rewards. Comp is at least in a better place because your games are pretty decently matched now that people have had time to sort out into their respective MMR brackets and groups get artificially inflated MMR.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are there any activities in either Destiny that anyone in this thread would do if they didn't drop loot?

Orv
May 4, 2011

ItBreathes posted:

Are there any activities in either Destiny that anyone in this thread would do if they didn't drop loot?

I did D1 PvP without any expectation (most of the time) of loot or progression. That's the only example, but it is a notable one.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I play D2 crucible for fun because my brain is broken

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I ran a ton of hc strikes with my buds just because they were super fun when we were all a bit under leveled

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Love that you can't do Iron Banner without beating the campaign. Frustration is lurking in every tiny corner of this game.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Legs Benedict posted:

holy gently caress dude i was one of the biggest proponents of the trials/raid loot clan engrams but this argument loving sucks rear end

see also:

What didn't make sense? What I said is that Trials needs a re-think. Whether that includes ranking, reducing the emphasis on flawless, etc.

I didn't say people should be able to get stuff without playing. I said the rules for play need to be changed.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

kater posted:

Love that you can't do Iron Banner without beating the campaign. Frustration is lurking in every tiny corner of this game.

ah yes, the frustration of beating an insanely short FPS campaign so that you can access the social space where everything is

Cutscene Powers
Jun 7, 2010

Eej posted:

I play D2 crucible for fun because my brain is broken

:same:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

kater posted:

I can't do endgame stuff before I reach the endgame 🤔

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Legs Benedict posted:

ah yes, the frustration of beating an insanely short FPS campaign so that you can access the social space where everything is

Short but boring. Also wasn't required to D1, so you could level a second or third character up in the crucible and just never bother with it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

ItBreathes posted:

Not a single thing.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Sometimes I almost think you guys aren't actually having fun playing this game :thunk:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Oh, word?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

ItBreathes posted:

Short but boring. Also wasn't required to D1, so you could level a second or third character up in the crucible and just never bother with it.

Yeah I wish they would allow this. Doing the vanilla, Osiris, and warmind campaigns a second and third time each was horrible

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I can't do endgame stuff before I reach the endgame 🤔

It's just the repetition that kills me. I'll play all your dumbass campaigns and enjoy it, but fuckkkk please don't force me to do it on all 3 characters. Warmind at least gave out snazzy exotics for each completion, but the vanilla and Osiris campaigns were an unrewarding slog

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yeah I wish they would allow this. Doing the vanilla, Osiris, and warmind campaigns a second and third time each was horrible

It's just the repetition that kills me. I'll play all your dumbass campaigns and enjoy it, but fuckkkk please don't force me to do it on all 3 characters. Warmind at least gave out snazzy exotics for each completion, but the vanilla and Osiris campaigns were an unrewarding slog

If Bungie were smart, they would have given you one of those booster tokens from D1 upon completion of the campaign that you could use on your alts that gave you max level and gave you some baseline purple 200 pl gear.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Trials is still a complete disaster even on console.

Since it's STILL peer 2 peer networking instead of dedicated servers, it's very very easy to network manipulate. Most of your paid trials carry twitch streamers are DDosing one or more players on the opposing team in a manner that makes it look like random connection issues rather than a targeted attack. I think Bungie has gotten a little better at detecting that kind of stuff, but it still requires tracking a lot of data from the offender to discern between random lovely connection issues vs. probable targeted attack and it's easy to circumvent even that by just jumping between PSN/Xbox accounts every week.

It's really funny watching some of these dudes with 1000+ viewers commenting about how good they are because the other team "just quit out" at the sight of them.

This game needs dedicated servers really bad just like every other modern multiplayer game has had standard for the past 7+ years. Even Call of Duty has dedicated multiplayer servers/matchmaking which only falls back to p2p if the servers are down or whatever.

Avalanche fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 24, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Avalanche posted:

Trials is still a complete disaster even on console.

Since it's STILL peer 2 peer networking instead of dedicated servers, it's very very easy to network manipulate. Most of your paid trials carry twitch streamers are DDosing one or more players on the opposing team in a manner that makes it look like random connection issues rather than a targeted attack. I think Bungie has gotten a little better at detecting that kind of stuff, but it still requires tracking a lot of data from the offender to discern between random lovely connection issues vs. probable targeted attack and it's easy to circumvent even that by just jumping between PSN/Xbox accounts every week.

It's really funny watching some of these dudes with 1000+ viewers commenting about how good they are because the other team "just quit out" at the sight of them.

This game needs dedicated servers really bad just like every other modern multiplayer game has had standard for the past 7+ years. Even Call of Duty has dedicated multiplayer servers/matchmaking which only falls back to p2p if the servers are down or whatever.

Would dedicated servers actually prevent that? Seems like people with the right tools for this poo poo could still ping your IP and DDOS you and it wouldn't matter whether you were connecting p2p or dedicated.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

DrNutt posted:

Would dedicated servers actually prevent that? Seems like people with the right tools for this poo poo could still ping your IP and DDOS you and it wouldn't matter whether you were connecting p2p or dedicated.

Uh wouldn't they have to be able to find it through the server first?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
DDoSing through a dedicated server is uh, much harder since you'd have to basically hack into Bungie's servers to find the IP of your opponents which would be a federal crime.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I paid a guy 20 bucks and he used VPN scumming to ensure we only faced his clan members in trials 7 games in a row

A healthy game

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Uh wouldn't they have to be able to find it through the server first?

Eej posted:

DDoSing through a dedicated server is uh, much harder since you'd have to basically hack into Bungie's servers to find the IP of your opponents which would be a federal crime.

Cool, that's why I asked, I did not now. Thanks.

e: Give us dedicated servers Bungie.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Sometimes I almost think you guys aren't actually having fun playing this game :thunk:

this game sucks rear end my dude!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It owns that you have people posting how extremely mad they are at this poo poo game and then casually drop that they spent $20 for a trials carry

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The gold economy here is broken, if you pay www DOT pvp ZOWNAGE DOT com ///// 1 ,7 million g0ld per $$$$ you really bypass a lot of the incentive systems. Why doesnt the company fix gold farming?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lol paying for carries

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Control Volume posted:

It owns that you have people posting how extremely mad they are at this poo poo game and then casually drop that they spent $20 for a trials carry

I'm the latter but not the former

Waffle House posted:

lol paying for carries

Buddy if I can pay somebody to do a better job than me, I'm gonna do it

why you think i haven't boned my wife in a year

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
I feel like paying for a Trials carry is slightly more shameful than soliciting a prostitute.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Being shamed is how I get off so you just saved me another $20 boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Bumgie should cut out the middle man and add a silver requirement to guided games.

• Locked thread