Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What are heroic strikes? Just strikes tuned to be harder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nice, that bugged me.

Would be nice if you could see a list of your challenges / check challenges before entering an activity.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle House posted:

Except for the bolded part, imo that was a feature not a bug.

Oh drat. When I first saw it thought I imagined it, then when I saw it again I thought it was a bug just on my end since my friends didn't mention it. I'm going to miss ol' Jittery Louis. Please tell me someone's created a gif of it, because now I regret never taking some time to capture it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

if i don't get the expansion what am i missing out on, just the new raid?

also how did the karnstein armlets work before the change, i've been running nothing but nezarec's crown on my warlock since i got it

Expansion is new Story stuff, Mercury zone, 2 new strikes, and 2 new crucible maps, and level cap to 25.

No idea how light level cap works for non-expansion havers - the recommended light level went up for a bunch of things. Though it'd be weird to basically invalidate a bunch of people out of content so I imagine the light cap is open for everyone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wait, what the heck is a trace rifle? Those constant beam ones?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

maniacripper posted:

Coldheart is the other, you use pulse rifles or auto rifles to upgrade them, I forget which maybe both actually?

What the best thing to get into if I'm sitting at 283 ilvl and just logged in with the expansion?

Can you obtain coldheart from engrams, or was it pre-order bonus only?

I would assume the new story missions is where you'd want to go first / getting to the 25 cap?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ugh, don't be like me and try to do a heroic adventure, solo, at 295. That was not fun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you can, however, only do the forest a finite amount of times a...week? day?

What is "doing the forest" Like, if you just go in and get to the other end, do you get something? Or is it the adventurers? The heroic adventures are doable once per day it seems?

Also, what is this prophecy stuff for?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I did normal strikes yesterday for the milestone and somehow got the Exodus Black one three times in a row.

What really sucks is I have the quest to do the strike, but it doesn't count unless you do it specifically for the quest. But doing it via the quest doesn't queue you with anyone...

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Eej posted:

https://twitter.com/DeeJ_BNG/status/938447834365313024

I mean the solution is pretty simple, make it do less damage in PvP
When do they do that blog?

Yeah I think I agree with people Curse isn't worth 20$.

I hope whatever the live team puts out is decently substantial. I'd be less annoyed at CoO's value if it wasn't for the MTX. I'm not even bothered by how much is behind lootboxes, it's just the double dipping that seems sucky. I'd maybe concede all of CoO is too much to give away for free, but they probably could have put out Mercury and the light cap increases for everyone, then sold the story content and maybe some cosmetic stuff for like 5-10$?

I hope they address the fact that non-upgraders are kinda getting screwed by the light level increase.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

cougar cub posted:

I want to run around more on the cool old red grass mercury - gently caress the desert setting!

Yeah, past Mercury is rad as heck. I was reading up on destiny lore the other week and saw the whole "Mercury was a garden world but then got hosed up by the Vex" and was like 'gently caress I wanna see that garden world" It was cool that Bungie let us see it, but why the heck did they not do more with it? I'm amazed they didn't make the patrol area have past and future sections or something.

Although I'm curious what exactly the Traveller did that made it possible for Mercury to be like that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

AAB posted:

why do people think they were adding a new social space and that the lighthouse is more than just a planet vendor hut? :psyduck:
hell, it's no more than a pretty version of Devrim's watch tower or Sloane's control room, but with portal doors. You weren't screwed on a social space at all.

I think they mean to complain about the patrol area, since you can encounter random people in it.

But yeah, it's really kinda lame they didn't make something even half as big as the other patrol areas. The size might have been okay for a free update, not something that's 1/4 the cost of the base game.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waffle House posted:

iirc all activities get a “speed bump” to be on-level. Like there’s nothing that “fell behind” for loot drops afaik

I think they're talking about the "soft caps" - like how blues soft capped at 260 before, and legendaries soft capped at 265. I think they're now 300 & 305.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Is the new weekly weapon quest linked to account or can you do one on each character you have?

Weekly weapon quest?

and this concentrated radiolarian cluster does not want to drop for me.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Norns posted:

They raised the light level so it's still relevant content for max level players...

I haven't done the raid yet but I understand you can pick between normal and prestige? Why didn't they just make "Osiris Normal" and "Osiris Prestige" as new options?

Even as an expansion haver I don't know if I really like that they scaled it up. I'd like to check it out but I don't have 5 friends to go with, and I don't know if it's something i want to spend a whole day working on even if I can get people together. Plus whats the point of increasing the light level if everything else just gets stronger to compensate?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Norns posted:

Wow deleted an entire continent in one of its expansions

What, Cataclysm? They basically deleted old 1-60 and replaced it with shiny revamped stuff and didn't lock any of it behind the expansion.

Waffle House posted:

Wait I thought Flying mounts was Cataclysm? Or was that not the expansion they had to rebuild everutjing for flying mounts

I’m glad I didn’t WoW very much to this day tbh

BC added flying mounts but you could only use them in Outland (the BC expansion area) because the rest of the world wasn't built for them. Cata rebuilt the rest of the world for flying mounts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Monowhatever posted:

Welp I now have not only the best looking ghost shell but the best mods:
That would be all planets chest out to 50 meters and gun telemetry data for all elemental types

I really like the bonus for fast lane ghost - says it makes sparrow summon faster but basically feels instant, even on sparrows with no summon speed bonus.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Aw man, the Positive Outlook quest reward is only available on the first character that does the quest. Did it on my alt and got an engram instead.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I thought the whole cert process thing was more of a problem of the previous gen? Like I thought i heard it was supposed to be easier/cheaper for developers to patch their games because the cost in the last gen was prohibitive to the point it created problems for console versions of games. Sucks they can't just hotfix the pc version, its not like there's cross-play.

Also, what engram(s) does Positive Outlook come from?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

Also the line about the bet is specifically calling out this dude and I am living for it. :allears:

I'm ready for the Trials of the Microwave.

I'd love to think that it was that post that tipped Bungie into doing it.

How does trials work? Only heard about it tangentially - never tried. PVP mode where you get kicked out for losing a match? Do you need to queue as a team or can you go in solo?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Unironically this, it's a good temporary balance fix until it gets patched

It's also cool to let everyone in on the fun before fixing it. Granted anyone getting it now will probably not have as much fun as the people who had it before everyone else.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Didn't they used to claim that didn't manually control Xur's inventory? Cause if so, lol

I saw people say this was the claim for D1. I'm guessing they probably just let it be random under most circumstances but have the ability to manipulate or override it if they want so they can do this exact sort of thing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

But I doubt it was on purpose. Xur uses a deterministic algorithm and Bungie doesn't touch it. D1 they really should have put out gjallarhorn after like 6 months but noooo only that first time. They don't pick. Lol.

The tweet almost entirely suggests they had a hand in it. Like I said earlier they almost certainly have the ability to override it to do just something like this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man it's crucible challenge day, but doing these challenges requires me to not use the laser....

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Skoll posted:

You can get the stay Above 1.0 with the laser. That's how I got it.

Yeah but you need to do three for the challenge. :v: And the other ones are void and headshots.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I guess I've been pretty lucky in not running into people just hard camping in PVP. Is that more common in competitive or something? Overall I've found Destiny 2 pvp pretty fun for striking a decent balance on its TTK. It doesn't feel so fast that you can't respond to an attack, but it's also still quick enough that well-place fire brings people down fast.

That said, laser tag is stupid fun.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Please give me a power weapons only PVP mode. Unlimited ammo. Instant respawn.

Give Destiny 2 an arcade game mode / playlist that cycles between various "wacky" multiplayer game modes with a variety of hand picked mutators.

e: Also, when people say MIDA, do they mean the submachine gun? What makes it so good? It only seemd okay to me and I felt I did way better with standard rifles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Who the hell cares about their refunds, what matters is one of the supposed last “good devs” doing insanely bad and anti consumer poo poo.

Pretty much.

There's a handful of games using cosmetic micro in lieu of season pass / map pack DLC so they specifically don't have to split up the playerbase and create issues like locking players out of stuff. I don't really understand what reason Destiny 2's micro have to exist other then to just be a source of revenue and maybe fund more micro.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Norns posted:

Sure glad the faction rally got delayed cuz Reddit needed a diaper change

that's this weeks meltdown

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Trading up seems neat, but I'd even be happy if there was just a shader storage that had unlimited stack size and enough slots for each shader. I'm an hoarder when it comes to games, let me hang onto stuff, I might need it later. :(

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Lord Packinham posted:

They should just have an MMO style subscription to this game.

Or they should just fund new content with micro like they said they would / like most other good developers do? Hell, imagine they put out most of CoO for free and charged 10$ for the story missions and maybe some cosmetics. They'd probably make just as much money while earning a poo poo ton of good will and avoiding all this poo poo about gating content.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

whats a forge weapons

If you finish the merucry story content, you'll be prompted to do some adventures, do those and the vendor on mercury will offer this prophecy item that requires consumables to "fill." Once filled, you turn it into a unique gun, there's like 10 of them.

The prophecy consumables come from a specific sources (ie: one is from public quests, one is from strikes, one is from cruicible, IIRC.) and in two rarities. 10 of the uncommon ones and a bunch of legendary shards can be converted into the rare one.

wyoak posted:

people really really hate micro transactions so no, they wouldn't have any more goodwill

Other games like Overwatch are getting away with it. There's obviously still people who take umbrage with micro / blind box, but if you tell your audience it's funding future free game updates, and actually deliver on it, a lot more people are suddenly okay or willing to defend it.

Anything would be better then triple dipping full retail, micro blind box AND season pass.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Dec 12, 2017

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't really understand what faction rallies are and why these changes would cause them to be delayed. Some thing where you turn in tokes and get engrams, faction with the most tokens is the winner?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

DrNutt posted:

Anyone mad about bright engrams is pretty dumb considering that the game shits 9 of them at you per week with little effort if you have three characters. The XP thing only affected the most broken brained people who feel compelled to play D2 like a 60 hour per week job.

Sure, but loot boxes are still for sale. IMO there's no acceptable reason to sell cosemtics unless you're a f2p game or you're using it to fund gameplay updates like Overwatch does.

Also, I can't imagine everyone has 3 maxed characters / has the time to grind out all 9 each week either. There's still going to be that emote or ghost or whatever it refuses to drop because it's completely random and not everything is buyable for dust.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I mean sure, but I just... get over it? Like, cosmetics can have a negative effect on poo poo, but that's only if the core gameplay loop isn't doing it for me (like Overwatch). Destiny 2 is enjoyable enough that, yeah, while I'm sad I didn't get the salt emote, I'll get over it because playing the game in and of itself is fun enough.

Maybe I'm just weird, I dunno. :shrug:

I mean, I find Destiny 2 fun and I'm not particularly ruffled by MTX cosmetics. It's just a matter of comparing it to other stuff in the industry. Usually MTX funds free updates - it's how F2P games work, it's how some games get away from season pass / paid DLC so they don't split player bases. The few games I've seen do MTX and paid updates usually only do really big paid updates.

It just seems kind of dumb, poorly thought out, and consumer-unfriendly? Like MTX usually works by having a low barrier to entry so you can capture as many players as possible. If you're gating a majority of your game through paid DLC people are going to fall off and be less likely to spend on the MTX.

With Overwatch, free updates bring me back to the game and I usually end up spending money because I want some of the new poo poo or whatever. Destiny 2 I thought about buying the eververse starter and went "oh wait I just spend 40$ on the season pass, gently caress that."

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone else having challenges not show up? Played some crucible and my challenges just weren't there. Same on Mercury, but I thought that was just because my hunter hadn't progressed much into the story.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pmchem posted:

The patch notes say this:

"Faction vendors now offer legendary gear for direct purchase with Legendary shards and faction tokens"

I went to gunsmith, Zivala, and the Future War Cult guy. Only Zivala was selling a legendary weapon for direct purchase, and it was only one, and it was one I already had. What the hell is going on, is this working as intended? I thought I'd be able to pick items from any vendor off a menu, basically. This sucks. What vendors even participate?

I'm assuming FWC isn't participating because it's not that event right now. Zivala had a set of armor + the gun for me. All vendors are set up like that - they'll sell their armor and a rotating weapon. I'm pretty sure all planet vendors participate + Shaxx.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

How do faction weapons work? I have two dead orbit ones despite not yet participating in a faction rally. Do they just have a very low drop chance from legendary engrams?

Also, is there a reason I occasionally get higher level legendary engrams? Not powerful ones - ones I decrypt at the dude. Like I'll have a bunch of 305 legendary engrams and one will be 311 or something like that.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

khy posted:

I have questions.

1) Is there a good list out there of what guns are available from what sources? Specifically, I did the Mercury quest on my main and I fell in love with the Positive Outlook AR. But when I did it on my alts I didn't get the weapon selection from Ikora like I did on my main and I don't really know why. So I want to get two more Positive Outlooks and I'm trying to figure out the source. Vanguard engrams? Mercury engrams? Ikora engrams?

2) Can you buy legendary guns from vendors? I know you can get armor but I'm wondering if I still need to rely on turnins for my chance to get a better devils or curtain call or whatever.

3) Someone explain Moebius Quiver to me. As I understand it, Shadowshot doesn't actually need to hit an enemy directly - when it hits it links all enemies together and damaging one damages them all, right? Does the impact do any real damage then? Is it worth ever using on a boss's dps phase or is it only really good for clearing out tons of adds and giving teammates tons of light?

Apparently Positive Outlook is from Vanguard. Vendors have one slot for a legendary weapon and it cycles each week, IIRC.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Section Z posted:

While I'm super loving short on shards, even before considering enough tokens to peak 10 on all vendors across a single character. Looks like the Vendor guns rotate daily? Or is it different for other people?

Yesterday, Zavala was selling Origin Story for me (a good gun, but one I already had). Today it's the Wicked Sister grenade launcher. Though of course, are a premium of 20 shards, 10 tokens. You'll need to cash in 10 engrams worth (on a single character, remember that) to unlock the privilege to direct buy the rotating weapons. But that's still encouraging if it does indeed rotate per day.

But seriously, why the hell doesn't the GUNSMITH direct sell GUNS?

Maybe it is daily, I thought I read in the patch notes it was weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Nice, first masterwork was a Uriel's gift. Is it worth it to stick a legendary mod on this thing even if it's not 330? Like will I be able to infuse a 330 into it to make it 335?

• Locked thread