Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

My blind raid team killed Callus about 5 minutes before Bungo kicked us to orbit to tell us about the upcoming patch. Felt good and boy were we lucky that didn't happen in the middle since it was literally our last run of the night before quitting.

I won't write an essay about it this time because I'm sure nobody gives a poo poo. Plus it wasn't that interesting once we figured out dogs. Calus took maybe 45 minutes to figure out solidly other than the very very very end... which killed us the first time we got to it.

Republicans posted:

330 (335 w/ mods)
But with the new masterworks won't it be higher? They show a masterwork with a "10" on it.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Gotcha. That's real dumb you see a number that's just meaningless...

And yeah, even though the only other raid I've ever played, in any game, ever, was being sherpa'd through the Vault of Glass, I felt like it was an amazing experience. Figuring it out and doing it on your own is like ten times more exciting... and leading that group is 20 times more exciting. I'll admit I was shaking when we won. (But I was also shaking when we lost at the very end.)

Hope the lairs aren't poo poo!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Poops Mcgoots posted:

The hunter dodge is really selfish, yes, and the other classes have great tools for fixing your mistakes. But those abilities are crutches. I've seen lots of people playing the other classes make dumb decisions in crucible because they rely on their wall or stop to heal in a rift. Play a hunter if you want to get used to not making mistakes in the first place. It's the bootstraps class.

Disclaimer: I play a hunter.
Alternately, put a rift up because your team is running around together and watch your combined arc souls kill off the enemy team without firing a single bullet.

Hunter's a lone-wolf PvP assault/sneak class, Titan's a solidly defensive PvE class, Warlock's a health-regenerating magical PvP and PvE beast, but they all have some kind of exotic or skill tree that alters their base abilities slightly towards other classes. Except Hunter, which can... make you kinda invisible for a couple seconds? I dunno, I don't pay attention to Hunter because I'm not into PvP.

Edit: Another way of putting it is that in the raid, the Hunter never has a special job while the Titan and Warlock do. Further pushing the "lone wolf" nature of the Hunter.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Dec 7, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Tei posted:

One of th 3 pvp maps is on past mercury and is pretty nice.

Unfortunally is too open and the geometry don't make much sense, so is a flanking / team firing gangfest. It means is the map where I lost.

I think everyone agree here, we love how purty is past mercury.
That past mercury PvP map is amazing once you and your team figure it out and the other team hasn't. I've gotten so many kills just putting grenades in the right corners and aiming my Halfdan down a hallway.

I still have no idea why they didn't allow the open sandbox part of Mercury to be split between past, present, and future. It completely betrays how cool of a concept the infinite forest is.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So with the patch changing how six-shooter and moebius quiver work, are these 2 "avoid at all cost" skills now worth learning or is the "avoid avoid avoid" meta still intact?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Do PC players usually use "aim assist"? I have it disabled. I'm wondering if I'm screwing so myself by doing so.
That only works if you play with a controller.
Or use XIM, which tells the game you're using a controller but are using a controller-emulator that runs with a mouse/keyboard interface... which is a bannable offense so don't bother looking into it unless you play on a console.

I know nobody cares but that guy complaining about being locked out of content has, in my mind, the right to play the game he bought (contacting attorneys aside...) I really don't think Bungie handles this poo poo correctly and I'm sad they didn't learn from their mistakes with D1. What's interesting to me, though, is how complacent so many people are about this. For such a vocal community that gets mad about so much stuff, I'd expect more of an outcry but it's the same snoozer of an issue as it was when it happened in D1.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 10, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

funktopus posted:

At this point it feels more likely that poor people around the world will become spontaneously aware of their common plight and band together against the rich in the name of equality than it is that Destiny 2 pubbies will figure out the heroic trigger for the Taken Blight public event.
Admittedly, trying to get the taken blight heroic trigger before pubbies gently caress it up is a fun and difficult challenge on par with the raid, except you get to play it alone and it induces greater rage.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

What the gently caress are they doing over there lmao
They probably couldn't fix the underlying issue until January because they have a 2 week Christmas break and it takes 3 weeks to get underlying patches through Microsoft/Sony certification.
I'm not apologizing for Bungie though. They only half-assed their walk-back on cut content for vanilla owners.

Also, I'm a fan of the crucible most of the time but laser-tag weekend has been the most fun I've ever had doing PvP in Destiny. I wish they'd do what they did with Halo and just make "stupid fun" playlists instead of the boring modes they stick to.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Any time you build your engine to be "robust" there will always be corner cases you didn't think of ahead of time that show their ugly faces at the worst moment. This is one of those.

That said I think it's hilarious their QA testers never caught this gun. There had to have been some kind of mistake with the dev servers to have such a huge discrepancy between QA and Live.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Barcley posted:

Is there a reason why the game is named destiny anyway? It's not clear to me.
As the protagonist you are destined to kill the biggest threats to Earth. This is why your character never questions an order and always blindly jumps forward into battle.

As a Destiny player you are destined to find something in the game not to your liking and complain about it. This is because Bungie never quite 100% nailed exactly what it is they wanted Destiny to be has Activision as a publisher.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 14, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Digital Jedi posted:

Does not owning the Osiris expansion limit me in anyway at the moment?

I only hit level 20 yesterday.
- You can't hit level 25 (doesn't even matter.)
- You can't get past power level 305.
- The main raid's normal mode is no longer 270, it's 300, so you can't "overpower" it making it easier to play.
- There is a bunch of gear you can't get (legendary guns, armors, and skins.)
- Any time any activity or milestone is based on CoO content, you will be locked out of it. This currently means flashpoints and nightfalls but could mean no Xur, no cadye maps, and no token challenge.
- Can't access Crucible playlists specific to CoO (also doesn't even matter.)
- Can't access heroic strikes (are just normal strikes but plevel 270.)
- Can't access heroic adventures (are all CoO specific anyway.)
- Can't access the raid lair.
- Ikora will only let you do 2 meditations. The third is CoO.

I think that's everything your friends will be doing without you...

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 14, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Legs Benedict posted:

you couldn’t do this (this being “overpower” it) anyway so it’s a moot point imo
Y'know I though I had a solid answer on this but since CoO came out, I'm not so sure anymore. Here's the thing.

Originally, you'd start the raid and everything would be power 260. Through some iteration, it goes up to 280 at Calus. My guess would be 260 in Castellum, 265 at room 1, 270 at room 2, 275 at room 3, ending up with 280 at Calus. The only reason I came to this conclusion was because you couldn't enter the raid until 260, the recommendation is typically the average between the low and high ends of power (thus 270 was recommended,) and when I died at Calus I recall distinctly seeing "recommended power, 280" in the top right where it tells you why you might want to level up to tackle whatever killed you. With these facts in mind combined with the often-thrown-around fact that 293 was the point at which any higher power level did not change how much damage you did to the enemy, then you would have to say that the hardest the normal raid got was at 280 and your power level mattering against that stopped at 293, 13 levels higher.

So now that the raid is power 300 to non-DLC owners, how do you get 13 levels higher in power? For that matter, does the entirety of the normal raid stay at 300 or does it increase by 5 the way it used to, landing on 320 as its hardest power? I ask this because when you try to do guided games for normal difficulty raid, the UI actually says the recommended power is 310, which non-DLC owners cannot reach. And if the power does hit 320 at Calus and you're stuck at 305, how is that power differential moot?

Help me understand why this is a moot point because this information all kinda points to it not being moot at all.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What blows me away is that they conceived and added this feature in a... 4 week span? I don't know if that makes me more optimistic or pessimistic, but it's very On Brand for them to accidentally crap out an amazing addition to the game.
I'm fairly certain they had this planned out further back than 4 weeks.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Professor Cthulhu posted:

They probably had the whole first year of Destiny 2 content development planned out a month before the release date and now some project manager is gonna have to miss Christmas with their families because of angry reddit nerds.
The reason Prometheus Lens won't be fixed until January is because everyone is going on vacation. Don't worry, Bungie isn't CD Projekt RED.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Don't do Heroic Adventures solo

They are hard
They're easy when their modifiers aren't bad.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

the good fax machine posted:

Not to say goon groups are bad, they're generally more fun to play with, but it's silly to think you can't have success with LFG.

Eej posted:

I tanked my k/d playing like 50+ games with friends so it's very difficult to get into the good groups.

e: but i'm stubborn and i'm gonna keep trying
It was nothing short of a miracle that I managed to get 6 friends to beat the Leviathan raid with me and it burnt the crew out so hard, I'm one of three who still plays. Two of the others quit after 5 Trials matches in which we were soundly beaten. You can get success but it's much more likely you'll find it with an LFG/Goon crew with a good leader and good followers than trying to train your friends. That's my experience, anyway.

That said I'd like to get my 7-game flawless out of the way someday so... when do you play Tarth?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I just got it and can't figure out what the best use for it is. I'm also a very casual player who only dips into crucible to fulfill weeklies so maybe that's it?
Ever play Overwatch? You know the right-click on Lucio? It's that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

christ almighty i have to get dusk crystals for this special christmas gift thing. not the crystals you pick up in the edz, the rare blue ones that seem to have a 1 in 1000 chance of randomly spawning when you pick up a crystal in the edz. this is aggravating as gently caress. what am i missing out on if i don't do this
... does it count if you already had them collected? I haven't logged in yet to see what kind of possible disaster this event is.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Orv posted:

DIM, left click on the resource in the left panel, Vault, left click in right panel, Store. Repeat.
.... I'm definitely not leaving work early so I can take advantage of this before it gets hotfixed.... nope...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Was there a conclusive decision over whether or not taking moebius quiver and 6 shooter are now OK?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Nightstalker is loving hilarious to play in Mayhem, especially if you have 2 or more on your team, but super duper hilarious if your entire team is nightstalkers. Why?

The tether turns off enemy supers.

This is probably the only time I'll actually have fun playing the hunter class. My 4-nightstalker team (completely random, mind you, I solo-matchmade) doubled the enemy's score just setting traps everywhere and killing with guns and knives. It's ridiculous. That said, this only really works for certain maps and admittedly it seems like each character's super has a map that matches it.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

treizebee posted:

I'm one of those that uses ESDF, so every new game consists of a keybind swapping party. It gets a whole lot easier to fit in practical keybinds when you free up W-Q-A.
:hfive:

That said, wheel up is kinetic, wheel down is energy, wheel button is power, wheel left is air dodge (which I never use,) wheel right is super, R for grenade, W for special move, A for block (which I never use,) and 2 side mouse buttons for sprint and melee. Out of all these suggestions, I think assigning wheel up and down to kinetic/energy is the smartest rebind anyone could do in this game.

Now that I've written this.. how much do I suck for never using air dodges and blocks? Considering they're both only used in very specific contexts (I think only Hunter, which I just bulldoze milestones on and then never touch again, uses air dodge and block is only a sword move) I get the feeling neither is very useful to my play style.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 20, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Mo_Steel posted:

Mouse 1: Jump
Spacebar: Shoot

:unsmigghh:
Reminds me of my Doom 2 controls. Mouse 1: Shoot, Mouse 2: Hold to strafe, Mouse wheel button: Run forward.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

khy posted:

For over a decade I used a weird-rear end control setup that involved using arrow keys and enter to jump.

I eventually switched to WASD but for the longest time people couldn't figure out how I was managing with such an odd control scheme.
Huh... now that I think about it, I don't think I ever used WASD. I went straight from arrow keys to ESDF. It helps that I took touch typing class in 7th grade.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Peewi posted:

It's a little frustrating to be one item slot away from 335 power and not get anything for that slot in your powerful gear engrams.

And since that slot is cape, I wouldn't be able to farm exotics for it either.
Welcome to the 3 weeks of my life leading up to CoO.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Orv posted:

And the next three years of your life too.
Eh the fatigue is starting to hit and my interest in picking up AssCreed Origins grows stronger.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Orv posted:

Have you only been playing Destiny since you picked it up?
No but it has been the game I've played the most since I first picked it up. To be honest, I always guessed that after I finished the Raid, I would completely stop playing the same way I had in Destiny 1. Part of the reason I bought the season pass was as a way of convincing me that there would be more game to play and more things to do... so I did manage to play longer (I blind beat the raid just hours before CoO came out) but with the Dawning stuff hitting and being grindier than most things in the game, the fatigue hit. Now that I'm officially on vacation, though, I'll likely feel better playing the new raid.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 22, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

For anyone who, like me, doesn't follow the thread very often and just randomly sees this post, playing a Trapper Nightstalker in Mayhem is the most fun you'll have in Mayhem... as long as there aren't void bomb glitchers in your match... or XIM using golden gunners.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 28, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

So I'm one of those "collectors" who shouldn't be playing this game.

Outside of having to crawl over DestinySets.com I can't seem to find a proper DIM filter for what I would really like to do to my stash which is highlight anything that is considered difficult to get. You know like.. stuff that you can't get with tokens, stuff that requires Trials of the Nine or Raid play, and event-specific stuff like IB or FR items. Is there anything that will do that for me? Cuz if I can just erase all the weapons and armor that I could be random-chancing into via throwing tokens at a 24/7 vendor then I'd like to.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

khy posted:

I wake up bright and early and go to work. And while I'm there I like to discuss this game which has huge, glaring flaws but a tremendous amount of potential and how I truly hope they can turn the direction of the game around to make it more enjoyable and actually live up to the potential it has. Then I chat with people about politics and poo poo on other parts of the forum and try to stave off existential anxiety and despair. Sometimes I read webcomics!
This but minus the politics part.
And minus the bright and early part.
And minus the "truly hope" part.

I guess I just lurk here and read webcomics at work.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Waffle House posted:

Definitely this; Trials is challenging, but I think the perceived barrier to entry is higher than actual.
You never played with my friends.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I'm confused. Is there something to be mad about with these events just being Eververse cycles and a special crucible type? Are they supposed to be something else? I didn't stick around Destiny 1 long enough to see special events. My only guess is that nobody can collect poo poo because inventory space is too small so having to constantly burn old stuff to bring in the new is annoying. That's all I got though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Minrad posted:

bungie makes more money from subscriptions if they introduce monthly or weekly poo poo to keep people logging in. that's what the other mmos do, after all.
I haven't been here in a while and this totally got me for a second.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey all you people who know Destiny lore...

I know nothing about stuff that happened in Destiny 1 past the vanilla game. I've watched some of those "catch up" videos but not the crazy 90 minute one explaining every single detail. What should I know to enjoy Forsaken properly? Stuff about the prison of elders and this Uldren fellow and maybe what went down in the D1 expansions that relates to the Awoken and such? A quick rundown (or link to appropriate video) would be appreciated. Thank you!

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I super appreciate this! Thank you!

Kinda puts the Mercury/Mars expansions into stark relief for how useless they are to the overall story (for now.)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Elysiume posted:

At least Mars results in an awoken Rasputin. Mercury was so self-contained that it's utterly pointless. Osiris is still dicking around in the infinite forest, and the strike canon is that you need to keep killing new Vex minds that try to take control back. Nothing changes if you cut it entirely other than confirmation that Osiris is still alive.
In Mercury's defense, 2 things. 1: The infinite forest is a fantastic idea that could eventually yield actually cool things in the future despite how completely wasted it was for this add-on. 2: I'm pretty sure the fact that you bring Sagira back to life means Cayde-6 has the chance of coming back via ghost resurrection because people might get kinda mad when they're done with the Forsaken and realize the dude's actually dead for good. Bungie gets their out pretty easily with this one, though it ruins any fear of death for the rest of the series until they come up with some new way of killing guardians. Hell, Savathun changed people into crystals that they couldn't come back from, use that! (These are spoilers for the end of the first expansion and trailers for The Forsaken.)

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 28, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Hey D2 Lore Gods, I have a question. Is there lore about the giant cut in this mountain?

It's always intrigued me but, like most things in most skyboxes in Destiny, it's completely unexplained via the game.

Edit: While I'm asking stuff, I was reading an article and saw this

Maybe I blinked too much but, no, I don't remember any cutscene, let alone early cutscene, that showed this scene. Is this real?

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 30, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Thanks! I totally forgot about that cutscene. Man, I wish they had a larger team doing those the way Blizzard has one. They're really great and I'd love to see more representation of insane celestial happenings.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

SUN GOD AVATAR posted:

If you are in Europe, and you want to play this game, you can’t beat this deal from cdkeys.

Everything in the world.
... except the 3 mini-expansions after Foreskin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

oh wait, the other thing that's quite like that is dropping a bubble on their bank while your team is dpsing your primeval
.... this might legitimately make me main void titan for gambit alone.

• Locked thread