Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rhyno posted:

I'm having an exceptionally difficult day and chose to watch a bunch of Capaldi montage clips and now I think I feel worse.

Listening to this always lifts my spirits, maybe it will help you too? :shobon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPisDzhYrCg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

I keep looping the guitar version of Clara's theme, that seems to do the trick for my weary heart. That soundtrack can't get here soon enough.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

As promised:

:nws: "Who On Earth Is Tom Baker?" - a sample, read by the author :nws:

this is literally 12 minutes into the book by the way.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

Big Finish getting really desperate with their companion chronicles.

Davros1 posted:

Warning! Not real!

Though I kind of wish it was (read the thread)

https://twitter.com/GallifreyRchive/status/951430871306862592

:lol: That's pretty neat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

:yikes:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

Rosie Ball

Rosie Ball

Rosie Ball

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
holy gently caress tom

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
what the gently caress, tom???

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
:catstare:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Rosie Ball

Rosie Ball

Rosie Ball

not emptyquoting

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

You should read/listen to the whole thing.

Tom's life has been an interesting thing. It explains a lot about his portrayal of the Doctor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sounds consistent with everything I know about British public schools.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommonShore posted:

Sounds consistent with everything I know about British public schools.

I hear there's whole classes about how to properly down a pint.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Hand of Fear/Names of the Flabby Dick/The Seeds of Doom

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

this is incredible

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

This somehow doesn't surprise me at all, but the most incredible thing about it is that he somehow read that in Audiobook Drama Voice and never once let a little laughter creep into his voice. It's so ludicrously vulgar. It reminds me of back when people would try the Lord Byron challenge (in which one had to try to read, without knowing what it was going to be, the Urban Dictionary entry for "Lord Byron" out loud, without laughing).

Then at the end he just kind of casually says (not in so many words) "Anyway, I wasn't very good at it, but I had a voice on me!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Also, you kind of have to wonder how good his memory is and if he even bothered to change the names, and if there are a bunch of really horrified women out there. :stare: I would not want to be Rosie Ball.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

DoctorWhat posted:

We have our hiatus thread title right here.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I feel like this adequately answers the question "Who on Earth is Tom Baker?"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
please look forward to the next animated adventure featuring Tom Baker, Doctor Who and the Soggy Sao

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wife – “Now that we have Jodie Whitaker it’ll be YOUR turn to have a crush on the Doctor like I did with Tennant!”

Me – “…yeah, have I told you about the Eighth Doctor?”

But seriously I like this picture. The outfit looks different from this angle (not as high-waisted) and the look of quiet wonder on Whitaker's face is just perfect for the Doctor.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 12, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Wife – “Now that we have Jodie Whitaker it’ll be YOUR turn to have a crush on the Doctor like I did with Tennant!”

Me – “…yeah, have I told you about the Eighth Doctor?”

But seriously I like this picture. The outfit looks different from this angle (not as high-waisted) and the look of quiet wonder on Whitaker's face is just perfect for the Doctor.

Also her Bajoran earring.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm trying not to get excited for Thirteen because it is very definitely a toss-up as to whether Chibnall can handle the showrunner role, but all his little decisions so far have been really good, and Jodie Whittaker is going to be great at being the Doctor, so I'm excited anyways.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The best thing about Capaldi leaving is that someone at Big Finish will finally give him a good script

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bicyclops posted:

I'm trying not to get excited for Thirteen because it is very definitely a toss-up as to whether Chibnall can handle the showrunner role, but all his little decisions so far have been really good, and Jodie Whittaker is going to be great at being the Doctor, so I'm excited anyways.

Yeah, I'm excited for Whittaker and wary of Chibnall. I'm just hoping that he concentrates on running the show and commisions good scriptwriters instead of, y'know, writing episodes himself.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I'm excited for Whittaker and wary of Chibnall. I'm just hoping that he concentrates on running the show and commisions good scriptwriters instead of, y'know, writing episodes himself.

Obviously one of the big announcements we've heard is that he wanted to move towards having a collaborative American-style writers room for the show, but another rumour I heard was that he was going to write every episode of season 11 himself (which is why it has fewer but longer episodes).

At the same time, he's said he has a five-year plan for the series and the BBC have committed to letting him go with it, so that will hopefully be interesting to see.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Chibnall Masterplan!!!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

This somehow doesn't surprise me at all, but the most incredible thing about it is that he somehow read that in Audiobook Drama Voice and never once let a little laughter creep into his voice. It's so ludicrously vulgar. It reminds me of back when people would try the Lord Byron challenge (in which one had to try to read, without knowing what it was going to be, the Urban Dictionary entry for "Lord Byron" out loud, without laughing).

Then at the end he just kind of casually says (not in so many words) "Anyway, I wasn't very good at it, but I had a voice on me!"

At the first mention, I went and reread the section in my copy and was properly taken aback, but hearing Tom read it makes me realize the extent to which this sets up his decision to become a monk (he gets off, not on wanking, but on confession) as well as his subsequent description of his monastery as being its own form of wanking club.

Now I want to hear Tom read the section about the fan he had sex with in costume. Is he equally Drama Voice there?

Edit: Didn't record, but I just passed the Lord Byron challenge.

Narsham fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 12, 2018

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

The best thing about Capaldi leaving is that someone at Big Finish will finally give him a good script

I think you'll find he already has 30 good scripts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cargohills posted:

So why did they not film them?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Jerusalem posted:

God, I love that episode so much.

"Okay, then. That's what I'll do. ... I'll tell you a story."

Edit: And the reprise of that song when Amy returned in The Time of the Doctor was so, so, so good.

Timby fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 12, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Narsham posted:

Edit: Didn't record, but I just passed the Lord Byron challenge.

It's harder when you're a teenager and in a room full of people, I suppose, but then again, what isn't? I never saw anybody make it past BOOM!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

cargohills posted:

Eh, only 18 imo. 18 isn't a bad hit rate tho

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
I just read something which triggered the following redemptive reading (a la Sandifer) of The Lie of the Land. I hasten to preemptively add that I don't think Toby Whithouse intended a word of this.

The site I was reading was describing liking the opening minutes, up to the moment where Bill's dramatic decision to shoot the Doctor gets turned into a big joke and the story devolves into a tonal disaster where Bill saves the world with her hypothetical mother-love, which the Monks can't touch unlike all the other people in the world who love things that don't really exist. It's massively cringeworthy even before you realize that despite the show setting up Bill's mother early and underlining the ways in which she is important to Bill, nobody could be bothered to give her a NAME. (Seriously. The TARDIS Wiki lists her as "Bill's Mother." I'm not even certain that we can guess her to be Ms. Potts. I suppose it'd be worse if her name turned out to be Lupo Cattivo Potts...)

Then, it occurred to me that the Monks were defeated by an idea and an ideal which they couldn't touch, but not the one that the episode insisted upon. Bill didn't give the Monks the world by consenting in The Pyramid at the End of the World, she gave them the Doctor. The subsequent events reflect the fact that instead of having "our Doctor," we're stuck with Capaldi doing his level best to play a character who is someone else instead. Treating tricking his companion into trying to kill him as a joke, perpetuating something terrible upon the entire rest of the world in order to set up that test, then taking credit for Bill's heroism at the end and giving an air-punching speech of triumph as he watches his friend, student, and close companion burn out her brain to save the world? That's not the Doctor, the man who was willing to let the Universe burn to save Clara. That's somebody else.

I still vividly recall the moment while watching Kill the Moon when I went from suspecting what was coming to reacting to the bold decision to go full-bore science fantasy and have the Moon be an egg that was hatching. Disagree with the execution or the aftermath all you like (and certainly that story is strong evidence that Peter Harness is an alien sent to Earth to study humanity who chose to do so through writing, because he seems to be oblivious to subtext), whether or not that was a wise choice to make, it was a bold one and strongly affecting. Much of The Lie of the Land had the same feel for me, in relation to the Doctor's characterization. What if the idea which defeated the Monk's wasn't Bill's nameless mother dwelling in her mind, but rather the nameless Doctor dwelling in our minds as an audience? If that's the case, then that abrupt shift into the final scene, with the world waking up and forgetting what had just happened, is like us waking up to the return of the Doctor we believe in and the show we (mostly) enjoy watching after suffering through the Monk's alternate version. (Perhaps in a few cases, it's a literal waking up. Let's say the episode could have benefited from a Sontaran tripping over a deck chair.)

As such, the entire episode becomes the Lie, refuted by our reaction to it.

If we're all stories in the end, then I prefer to believe that one over what we actually saw on screen.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, come on Joseph Lidster, give Capaldi a good script!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BSam posted:

Yeah, come on Joseph Lidster, give Capaldi a good script!

God he’ll have a script where Bill has to kill her own mother or something.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with that redemptive reading is that it still means the events of the episode were awful and are better rejected than not

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My redemptive reading of The Lie of the Land is that someone came up to Toby Whithouse and said "WE NEED A SCRIPT YOU HAVE TEN MINUTES STARTING NOW"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Narsham posted:

I just read something which triggered the following redemptive reading (a la Sandifer) of The Lie of the Land. I hasten to preemptively add that I don't think Toby Whithouse intended a word of this.

The site I was reading was describing liking the opening minutes, up to the moment where Bill's dramatic decision to shoot the Doctor gets turned into a big joke and the story devolves into a tonal disaster where Bill saves the world with her hypothetical mother-love, which the Monks can't touch unlike all the other people in the world who love things that don't really exist. It's massively cringeworthy even before you realize that despite the show setting up Bill's mother early and underlining the ways in which she is important to Bill, nobody could be bothered to give her a NAME. (Seriously. The TARDIS Wiki lists her as "Bill's Mother." I'm not even certain that we can guess her to be Ms. Potts. I suppose it'd be worse if her name turned out to be Lupo Cattivo Potts...)

Then, it occurred to me that the Monks were defeated by an idea and an ideal which they couldn't touch, but not the one that the episode insisted upon. Bill didn't give the Monks the world by consenting in The Pyramid at the End of the World, she gave them the Doctor. The subsequent events reflect the fact that instead of having "our Doctor," we're stuck with Capaldi doing his level best to play a character who is someone else instead. Treating tricking his companion into trying to kill him as a joke, perpetuating something terrible upon the entire rest of the world in order to set up that test, then taking credit for Bill's heroism at the end and giving an air-punching speech of triumph as he watches his friend, student, and close companion burn out her brain to save the world? That's not the Doctor, the man who was willing to let the Universe burn to save Clara. That's somebody else.

I still vividly recall the moment while watching Kill the Moon when I went from suspecting what was coming to reacting to the bold decision to go full-bore science fantasy and have the Moon be an egg that was hatching. Disagree with the execution or the aftermath all you like (and certainly that story is strong evidence that Peter Harness is an alien sent to Earth to study humanity who chose to do so through writing, because he seems to be oblivious to subtext), whether or not that was a wise choice to make, it was a bold one and strongly affecting. Much of The Lie of the Land had the same feel for me, in relation to the Doctor's characterization. What if the idea which defeated the Monk's wasn't Bill's nameless mother dwelling in her mind, but rather the nameless Doctor dwelling in our minds as an audience? If that's the case, then that abrupt shift into the final scene, with the world waking up and forgetting what had just happened, is like us waking up to the return of the Doctor we believe in and the show we (mostly) enjoy watching after suffering through the Monk's alternate version. (Perhaps in a few cases, it's a literal waking up. Let's say the episode could have benefited from a Sontaran tripping over a deck chair.)

If we're all stories in the end, then I prefer to believe that one over what we actually saw on screen.

That's idiotic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Narsham posted:

u watsonian bitch

• Locked thread