Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

remusclaw posted:

A was about to say absolutely and then I remembered that the episode isn't just the last few minutes of it.

The scene with Twelve reacting to the inside of the TARDIS while River raided the minibar was worth the price of admission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rirse posted:

Jeez, I started watching the Revival from the start after only watching about half of Matt Smith first season (and his final episodes) and the first season of Capadeli episodes) and now I just started the first Capadeli episodes!

Enjoy the good episodes and don't mind the bad ones. There's some really great stuff in Capaldi's run.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Bicyclops posted:

Enjoy the good episodes and don't mind the bad ones. There's some really great stuff in Capaldi's run.

If his 'bad episodes' are better then the bad ones that Matt and David (Christopher wasn't around long enough for this honestly) then I should be in good hands, as I didn't mind the bad episodes I seen, even if I can tell totally why they are referred to as bad.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Good grief.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry, but if you didn't enjoy Faye Marsay dancing past a bunch of monsters to Merry Christmas Everybody then you have no soul!

I kind of get the feeling that she was sort of planned as the new companion if Jenna Coleman had wanted to leave at that point. Honestly, I feel like that was set up to be her big finale.

I remember being very surprised that people thought Faye Marsay was being set up as the new companion because I didn't get that impression at all; if anything, I was sure that Natalie Gumede's character (Ashley) was being set up as the new companion.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Without Christmas specials we wouldn't have Donna or Nardole as companions so those specials are necessary evils.

You also don't get the Tennant Hand either, whether you thought that was good or bad.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

C'mon guys, an episode being good or bad is purely a subjective thing. It's silly to get mad if somebody doesn't like an episode you did, because different people have different tast-

Big Mean Jerk posted:

(Last Christmas) ... an otherwise boring story.

Imma gently caress you up! :argh:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Now add the robotic parrot from The Pirate Planet as Woodstock.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

A little late, but as to Dr Who affecting my life, I stole Tennants’ “Well....” and Smith’s interjecting on himself pretty shamelessly.

I finished re-watching Eccleston’s run and Season 2 of the revival again after wanting to go back and see how they set-up the time war. I forgot that there was basically gently caress-all said about it for a really long time and we pretty much filled in what we could ourselves. Seems like most of what I would call set-up comes later.

But it’s interesting watching it all over again. Some things I had a worse impression of, some things I liked better. I was surprised by how “meh” Captain Jack felt this time and I’m not sure why. I’ve always liked the character, but maybe a lot of that comes from the later stuff? I dunno. I forgot how much I liked Love and Monsters up until the last 3 minutes. Seriously, if they had just rolled credits after the scene with Elton’s mother where they fade to white, it would have been an amazing episode. But, no, RTD just HAD to get his blowjob joke in. :jerkbag: and Girl In the Fireplace still makes me bawl like a loving baby. Every. Single. Time.

And god I forgot how much I loving loathe the whole Jackie loving Tyler drama bullshit / Rose Tyler lovey bullshit. Every time the Doctor wants to bring on a new companion in my mind it’s just him trying to drive a wedge in between the emotional vampire that Rose is becoming and trying to keep a semblance of himself. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the doctor shouldn’t be emotionally attached or can’t have a romance but the whole Rose thing just feels some kind of a creepy midlife crisis on the Doctor’s part. I firmly believe that his whole insistence that she has to be locked away in the other universe is his way of escaping the odd emotional Stockholm Syndrome he’s found himself in. Just lock the Tylers in another universe! That’ll fix it!

But overall it reminds me that for all the warts, the show has actually grown and matured considerably.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rirse posted:

Capadeli

The Mortadella

OF DEATH

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

docbeard posted:

And we need the Second Doctor sitting in a pumpkin patch waiting for the Terrible Zodin.

"Well, I would look a fool sitting in a Zodin patch, now, wouldn't I?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Huh, did the 13th Doctor base her regeneration on Shona? :tinfoil:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

docbeard posted:

Missy: Oh come on dear, I'm totally going to let you kick the football this time. Thaaat's it, come right over, line it up.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Doctor Zero posted:

But overall it reminds me that for all the warts, the show has actually grown and matured considerably.

I disagree, it's pitched at a different audience (mass market vs american nerds)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying the doctor shouldn’t be emotionally attached or can’t have a romance

You can't spell romance without Romana!

:3:

Wait... but you also can't spell it without The Romans...

:ohdear:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I can't find any GIFs of the 12th Doctor regenerating. What is this nonsense?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I can't find any GIFs of the 12th Doctor regenerating. What is this nonsense?

I'll make up some gifs from Twice Upon A Time soon, I'd held off because I stupidly thought it would be on the Complete Series 10 Blu-Ray and I could get the best possible copy :mad:

In the meantime though, there's this:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The 10th Series box set came out in November, so I'm PRETTY sure they wouldn't put a yet-to-be-aired episode on it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

The 10th Series box set came out in November, so I'm PRETTY sure they wouldn't put a yet-to-be-aired episode on it.

I didn't see it in any store until January (I spent most of the back half of December/first half of January visiting family) so I had just assumed they'd held off on the complete box set until after the Christmas Special had aired, since that would have made sense because it wraps up the Capaldi era and resolves the cliffhanger from The Doctor Falls.

Boo. Boo I say!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
You know, I am done with Matt Smith episodes, but I don't remember where this scene is from in the OP.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rirse posted:

You know, I am done with Matt Smith episodes, but I don't remember where this scene is from in the OP.

It's from the second episode with Craig, in which he has a baby and there is a Cyberman invasion.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I disagree, it's pitched at a different audience (mass market vs american nerds)

Maybe that’s it. I just meant that the Doctors relationship with his companions now goes beyond just making googley eyes at some 19 year old, or in the case of the Rutan, making googley eyes at him. I never thought I’d say it but Donna was actually a refreshing turn.

Jerusalem posted:

You can't spell romance without Romana!

True... ohhh Mary!

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Hey Jerusalem, do you have any good gifs from Night of the Doctor? I kind of want a new AV but it would be nice to keep McGann around. Maybe the “what if I get bored?” Part? I dunno. That whole short if pretty dark. Not sure how well it would lend itself to gifs.

Also I got to use a line from that in real life. I was talking to a coworker about airline seats and told him he wanted the ones in the back of the section. He asked if they were better or something, and I said “The front crashes first. Work it out.”

:haw:

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 4, 2018

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

My Paul McGann gifs, most of which are from Night of the Doctor, can be found here - if you see something you'd like a piece taken out of, let me know and I can try my hand at it.

Doctor Zero posted:

True... ohhh Mary!

One of my favorite memories of these threads is from years ago where somebody took the camera tilting up to take in all of Mary Tamm in her debut, split it into several images and then posted them one after the other.... and the final image was the first post on a new page :xd:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Doctor Zero posted:

Maybe that’s it. I just meant that the Doctors relationship with his companions now goes beyond just making googley eyes at some 19 year old, or in the case of the Rutan, making googley eyes at him. I never thought I’d say it but Donna was actually a refreshing turn.

I was surprised to find i was actually enjoying watching Catherine Tate after the obnoxious characters I'd seen her play in her sketch show and, to be fair, her first episode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Gary Russell is leaving for Australia, and some people made a short video. I love that he still has the coat. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5bOvjE_3dQ

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The_Doctor posted:

Gary Russell is leaving for Australia, and some people made a short video. I love that he still has the coat. :allears:

Sadly that is different coat. It's close but not the same.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It looks like one of the Abbyshot ones, actually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bicyclops posted:

It's from the second episode with Craig, in which he has a baby and there is a Cyberman invasion.

It's more of an infestation than an invasion, really.

It's one of those okay Cyberman episodes, where they use them in a way that makes use of who they actually are rather than Robot Army Aliens, but doesn't really do anything interesting in the attempt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
gently caress you Tony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCPJcq84Xtc

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'd like to meet Peter Davison because he's fuckin Tristan, the coolest vet ever

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've met him and he's the nicest man but no kissing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Shame about the sexism though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

If I knew how to photoshop I would put upside down K9 on top of the TARDIS.

Peanuts/Doctor Who is exactly as adorable as it sounds

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I have a security blanket now.

Blankets are cool.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

David is now extremely ginger. I wonder if Matt is jelly?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

docbeard posted:

I have a 20-foot-long, multicolored security blanket now.

Blankets are cool.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!
Also Schroeder plays the recorder now, too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Hm...would River be Lucy?

"Some day, you could just walk past a security blanket."
"Never gonna happen."

Vinylshadow fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Finding out he was the kid in Dark Towers was very surprising.

• Locked thread