Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Watching Sacha Dhawan in The Tractate Middoth, a horror short on BBC4. He would make a great Doctor.

Edit: Oh, it was written and directed by Mark Gatiss. Heh. That explains a lot.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Sacha Dhawan in The Tractate Middoth, a horror short on BBC4. He would make a great Doctor.

Remember when the bookies had decided, "It's probably not going to be a woman," and the betting narrowed to Dhawan or Luke Treadaway?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pgroce posted:

6 never got anything remotely as good.

You son of a bitch.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been listening to The Twelve Doctors of Christmas short stories. Three, Jo, and Mike Yates turning up in The Christmas Invasion only to have Jackie barge into their Tardis is hilarious.

Of course, it's already Christmas here in the Australasian Zone so I'm rocking a cute but seasonally inappropriate Snowdalek.

A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Wouldn’t be Christmas without it. Happy plum pudding day everyone.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My wife and I just so happened to be listening to The One Doctor in our main range progression, and got the "happy Christmas to all of you at home" line....then we listened to the latest Short Trip which ALSO has the same callback. Big Finish never changes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hoping to watch the special live but it is probably unlikely, I am gonna miss Capaldi alot :unsmith:

FreezingInferno posted:

Tonight will be exciting puppet action with Jon Pertwee in Invasion Of The Dinosaurs.

I still say this story would be much more highly regarded if the dinosaurs weren't so spectacularly bad. But boy howdy are they spectacularly bad...

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jerusalem posted:

Hoping to watch the special live but it is probably unlikely, I am gonna miss Capaldi alot :unsmith:

I am super excited for Jodie but yeah I'm gonna miss Capaldi like crazy, I didn't think I could love anyone in the role more than Matt Smith but here we are

DoctorWhat posted:

Clara rules and deserves life actually. There's no reason she shouldn't get away with the same poo poo the Doctor does.

:hf:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I can't find the post now but did I see that Heaven Sent and Hell Bent are finally getting a soundtrack release? Does that include the guitar version of Clara's theme?

Also Happy New Who day guys!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“There's this emperor and he asks this shepherd's boy, ’How many seconds in eternity?’

And the shepherd's boy says, ’There's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it and an hour to go around it!’

‘Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain.’

‘And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!’

You must think that's a hell of a long time.

Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.”

One of the best moments in the show's history :hellyeah:

Edit: "Your face is all over the place!" :haw:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 25, 2017

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Early doors, but I'm digging this so far.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
AHHHHHHH

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I missed the first ten minutes

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I missed the first ten minutes

They did selected recreated scenes from The Tenth Planet, then 1 and 12 meeting, the soldier's origin, then this bit.

"Brandy!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
WIFE and I spent Christmas eve watching the City of Death (twang), it was her first Four story and she absolutely loved Romana II, especially her "I am so much smarter than you dumb ape" passive aggressive smile

Anyway where is the Christmas special where is it DELIVER IT TO AMERICA STRAIGHT INTO MY GODDAMN EYEBALLS

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"I totally pulled :haw:"

God I wish Bill was sticking around.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I’m taking Mr Pastry too!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

"to be fair, they cut out all the jokes"

Not the majority opinion, I know, but I'll miss moffat. This is his last hurrah, I want him to go large then go home.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

The first docs tardis <3

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Urgh moff have you even watched the hartnell era

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Now that isnt the callback i was expecting

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh god, the smacked bottom line is real.

I’m loving all the Murray Gold music callbacks, though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Saw the Lethbridge-Stewart reveal coming but it was still lovely :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

No, you’re tearing up. :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They gave him Clara back :3:

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

New doctor hype

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Aw, brilliant! :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that was one hell of a cliffhanger :stare:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
No ginger joke, 4/10. :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Aw that was super sweet :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Well that was one hell of a cliffhanger :stare:

It’s some excellent bookends to Moffat’s run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDuEKscgEDk

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
It didn't land everything, but had some sweet moments and had a solid cliffhanger. Which is about as Moffat a review as it's possible to do. So, good man Moffat, and co., we'll miss you.

Now on with the new blood! Dead excited for Whittaker.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was enjoyable and sweet, even if Bradley's Doctor bears little resemblance to Hartnell's - the spirit of the thing is what was important and I thought it was a nice wrap up for 12. The Christmas Armistice as a symbol of hope in the midst of the most terrible bleakness worked well and I do like that he stuck to his guns that - nice as they were - Bill and Nardole were just memories of the actual people and not the people themselves, but that this is still okay. Getting to remember Clara again was sweet and a nice touch since she was the first thing he saw with those eyes.

It wasn't what I would call typical Moffat but it's a nice wrap up to his time in charge, and if what we saw at the end is any indication then Chibnal's era is going to at least look loving amazing. Plus:

The_Doctor posted:

Aw, brilliant! :3:

Yeah I got a big kick out of her accent and how happy she was to see what she'd become. Yay for a new Doctor, I can't wait for the new season!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I feel like maybe they slightly overdid it with 1 being sexist, but otherwise I thought it was pretty much excellent!

Trailer for the next series soon, please!

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax
That was just brilliant. Loved it

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The Unfetered One posted:

That was just brilliant. Loved it

It was oh brilliant. Get it right. :colbert:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
It was alright.

It was a nice untwist twist - Big Finish's latest release Static did a straight version of the plot, more or less - about the nature of Testimony.
David Bradley was fine...he's not really playing the first Doctor as such, but, eh, neither was Dickie Hurndall.

Not the best thing Moffat's written, nor the worst - but I'm glad he's leaving.

Way better than Time of the Doctor, as both a Christmas story and a regeneration one.

Liked the book-end of Capaldi begining and ending his appearance with his eyes, and looking forward to Whitaker.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That was genuinely awful and I can't believe I'm seeing mostly positive reactions to it. I'd have preferred them to have done the regeneration as part of Series 10 and just skipped the Christmas special this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Let's see what Twitter thinks of Jodie:

:smithicide:

• Locked thread