Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Tron posted:

Hopefully he has a plan for a multi-doc episode in there, reckon Tennant will be getting a bit old to play the 10th by the 60th anniversary.

It didn't stop Davison from doing Time Crash. Temporal whatsitz and whatnot.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Davison has the best reactions to things

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeficientClutteredBluetickcoonhound-mobile.mp4

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I want some of those drugs they have clearly taken.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
DULL CONCERN!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Moffat could only dream of a twist this good:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SoggySoftBongo-mobile.mp4

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of cheesey gifs, what the one with the spinning city with a fat guy looking on?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Senor Tron posted:

Hopefully he has a plan for a multi-doc episode in there, reckon Tennant will be getting a bit old to play the 10th by the 60th anniversary.

It's okay, McGann has looked basically the same haggard-but-handsome since they shifted his Doctor from "romantic optimist adventurer" to "worn down by the universe's bullshit but still wants to help out where he can." He'll still be good to go in five years time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rirse posted:

Speaking of cheesey gifs, what the one with the spinning city with a fat guy looking on?

That's from a fan-production made by, I think, the infamous Ian Levine. In addition to being a DJ, he was a giant Who fan who got heavily involved with the actual production of the show as a creative consultant during what is often considered an utter low-point for the series back in the 80s. He frequently goes on tirades when he doesn't get exactly what he wants from Doctor Who (he's loving furious about Jodie Whittaker's casting, from memory).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't his job 'continuity' or something? like that kind of says it all, he's the guy who got paid to track the continuity of Doctor Who

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Jerusalem posted:

(he's loving furious about Jodie Whittaker's casting, from memory).

He's been mostly furious since at least around 2005.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dabir posted:

Wasn't his job 'continuity' or something? like that kind of says it all, he's the guy who got paid to track the continuity of Doctor Who

His cameo in this comic (by Brigadier Sockface?) sums it up pretty well, really. And 80s Who in general, to be fair:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

Davison has the best reactions to things

Except, perhaps, to the Doctor being a woman.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dabir posted:

Was he even getting paid?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Senor Tron posted:

Tennant will be fine unless he ages like a ton of bricks in a short space of time. Which, I mean, he could, but he probably won't.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Fil5000 posted:

Was he even getting paid?

He was paid in scripts, pre-broadcast edits of episodes and old props.

Levine was very well-off (he was able to pay thousands of pounds to buy copies of episodes of Frontier in Space back in the 70s), so I doubt he needed the cash.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, I mean have you seen Tennant recently - he's not aged very well;

:v:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaroff posted:

Levine was very well-off (he was able to pay thousands of pounds to buy copies of episodes of Frontier in Space back in the 70s), so I doubt he needed the cash.

Yeah, he was fairly well-established as a songwriter and producer in the burgeoning Hi-NRG scene by the time he got involved in Doctor Who. He didn't lose his money until later in the decades when he ploughed most of his fortune into a plan to found a new record company which he'd use to record all his favourite old Motown stars doing songs he'd written for them, which (perhaps predictably) flopped.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaroff posted:

Oh yeah, I knew he was doing OK financially, I just wondered if the beeb even bothered paying him. I always assumed he did it just so he could be top best number one fan.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Zaroff posted:

Yeah, I doubt the money was important to Levine. To him, saying he was working on the show, and therefore made him better than other fans, was more important to him.

In other news, BF is launching a range called "Big Finish Originals", i.e. new original shows.

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/big-finish-originals

Some seem rather intriguing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
If the box set ends up as good as the pilot episode, I highly recommend Cicero.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Jerusalem posted:

His cameo in this comic (by Brigadier Sockface?) sums it up pretty well, really. And 80s Who in general, to be fair:

This is actually one of mine, though I'll be very happy to have it confused for a Brigadier Sockface comic! (A good way to tell them apart is that their comics have clear linework and polish, while mine are scribbled on the back of an electrical bill with a number 2 pencil.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cleretic posted:

Tennant will be fine unless he ages like a ton of bricks in a short space of time. Which, I mean, he could, but he probably won't.

Doomsday:

End of Time:

Day of the Doctor:

On the set of Jessica Jones Season 2:

So he's looking actually really good considering those pictures span thirteen years, but he was starting to appear a bit craggy in Day of the Doctor and he's a father of four, so God only knows when age will finally catch up to him.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how Paul McGann is the same age as Peter Capaldi but you wouldn't think so if you saw them standing next to each other.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's like how Paul McGann is the same age as Peter Capaldi but you wouldn't think so if you saw them standing next to each other.

Capaldi probably did all the drugs when he was hanging out in Glasgow with Craig Ferguson in the '80s, though.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Timby posted:

So he's looking actually really good considering those pictures span thirteen years, but he was starting to appear a bit craggy in Day of the Doctor and he's a father of four, so God only knows when age will finally catch up to him.

So that's Doctors 23 - 27 sorted then. :v:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Forktoss posted:

This is actually one of mine, though I'll be very happy to have it confused for a Brigadier Sockface comic! (A good way to tell them apart is that their comics have clear linework and polish, while mine are scribbled on the back of an electrical bill with a number 2 pencil.)

It's very good and I like it a lot! :)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I still can’t stand his original run, but I liked Tennant in the 50th and Jessica Jones. I’d be cautiously optimistic about him coming back for a 55th or 60th anniversary special now that he’s matured a bit as an actor.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's a bit too late to start work on a 55th anniversary special. I'd be on the look out for the 15th anniversary of the revival, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

It's a bit too late to start work on a 55th anniversary special. I'd be on the look out for the 15th anniversary of the revival, though.

There will probably be stuff out there but doing a 15th celebration after the huge deal the 50th was would be silly. Maybe Eccleston will finally come around for the 60th.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

There will probably be stuff out there but doing a 15th celebration after the huge deal the 50th was would be silly. Maybe Eccleston will finally come around for the 60th.

If Eccleston is willing to do something in 2020, by God you don't wait three years.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh yeah, Forktoss’s comics are great and I want more! MORE!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfIIqb8Uhg
Moffat's interview continues, with talks abut the Eleventh Doctor's run and the 50th Anniversary special

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There, I got pass Wasp and the Unicorn, which isn't as bad I thought it would be since everyone in this thread talks about how awful it was. Also didn't notice the 'Unicorn' was Jyn from Rogue One.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That episode had some really funny bits despite how dumb the plot was. I forget the episode order, but I think series 4 is pretty much solid gold after that one.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

2house2fly posted:

That episode had some really funny bits despite how dumb the plot was. I forget the episode order, but I think series 4 is pretty much solid gold after that one.

I noticed the next episode is The Library which I heard is good and it the introduction of River Song, whom I seen in a few Matt Smith episodes but never actually seen her actual first appearance (and last appearance from what I gather).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

2house2fly posted:

Turn left is a little wobbly and your enjoyment of the finale hinges on how much you love RTD's tendency to go big then decide that's not big enough. It also should've been his stopping point, but whatever.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
The Library was the first Doctor Who episode I had ever seen and it spooked the gently caress outta me.

just shut up about the drat lights already, jeez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

That episode had some really funny bits despite how dumb the plot was.

I remain unsure whether the Reverend shouting angrily at the guys stealing from his church and interspersing his rant with "BZZT! BZZT!" like a wasp was meant to be funny or dramatic.

• Locked thread