Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I remain unsure whether the Reverend shouting angrily at the guys stealing from his church and interspersing his rant with "BZZT! BZZT!" like a wasp was meant to be funny or dramatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfIIqb8Uhg
Moffat's interview continues, with talks abut the Eleventh Doctor's run and the 50th Anniversary special

io9 posted:

Steven Moffat has long made it known what an insanely stressful time the creation of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary special was—an event almost so disastrous it nearly didn’t have the Doctor in it at all. But at long last, Moffat has revealed what story he would’ve had to use for the potential reality of “The Day of the Doctor” with no Doctor.

Speaking in the second part of a vast interview with The Doctor Who Fan Show covering his now-concluded era as showrunner, Moffat delved further into his previous comments on the nightmare-that-was when it came to delivering a 50th birthday bash for Doctor Who. According to the writer, he’d sold the BBC on Doctor Who’s answer to the Olympics, only to find, as he’d previously revealed, that Jenna Coleman—then currently the Doctor’s traveling companion, Clara Oswald—was the only person the team actually had contracted to appear:

quote:

There wasn’t anything very enjoyable about doing [“The Day of the Doctor”]. I look back on it with great satisfaction—I think it’s a genuinely terrific episode of Doctor Who, I’ll just say that—but at the time... I was just upset. Everybody was cross with me, I remember that. Everybody was cross. Everybody.

The script was late, so everybody was cross at me, and I’m saying ‘Guys! Who’s in it, who have you got!? Nonono, You tell me who you’ve got, under contract, to be in it, because I promised this year’s Olympics. Could you tell me who’s in this?’

‘Jenna.’ And that was the list.

So I’m doing, celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who... with Jenna. Who’s wonderful, and one of my personal favorites, but I don’t think that’s really gonna cut it!

But what we didn’t know, was just what Moffat was going to do with his sole star had nothing else worked out. Apparently, he began drafting a version of the special where Clara was the lead character—and although The Doctor would appear, it wouldn’t be any incarnation fans had ever seen on screen, not even Matt Smith’s then-current iteration:

quote:

So I came up with an alternate version of the 50th. Which was, the Doctor having stepped into his own time stream at the end of [season 7 finale] “The Name of the Doctor,” he’s eliminated from all of space and time, and Clara is trying to remember him. And the Doctor turns up in various fictional forms, and she says ‘That story’s true, that wizard, that was the Doctor,’ so she keeps encountering this, and we have the Doctor played by a succession of very famous people. That was my plan. ‘Very famous people.’

Luckily, Moffat was granted a moment of hope when Matt Smith and former star David Tennant both signed up. Christopher Eccleston, who famously departed the series after just one season under less-than-amicable terms, declined to appear, necessitating the creation of a new “old” incarnation of the Doctor, played by John Hurt. According to Moffat, the decision was made so late the script for “The Name of the Doctor” ended with a statement from the writer saying “I’ll figure it out when we figure out what we’re doing for the 50th” rather than the scene that eventually revealed John Hurt’s War Doctor.

Just over four years on, we know it all turned out okay for Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary. “The Day of the Doctor” broke broadcast records at the time and turned out to be warmly received. But it’s kind of spectacular just how close it came to being a complete and utter disaster, a prospect even scarier than any villain the Doctor had ever faced down in 50 years of time travel.

You can see the Moffat’s full thoughts on writing the special, as well as everything from taking over Doctor Who to the misfire of the show’s giant-sized redesign of the Daleks in the full interview below (the first part can be found here, too!).

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I like how half of the dialogue in Wasp and the Unicorn is titles of Agatha Chriatie books awkwardly shoehorned into the conversation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Rirse posted:

Also didn't notice the 'Unicorn' was Jyn from Rogue One.

Holy poo poo.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how Frank from "Daleks In Manhattan" grew up to become Spider-Man.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Peter Wyngarde, the Ron Grainer Arrangement Doctor who also appeared in Planet of Fire, has died

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Peter Wyngarde, the Ron Grainer Arrangement Doctor who also appeared in Planet of Fire, has died

Which was news to me when I heard it today, because I thought he’d died years ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He would've made an entertaining Doctor himself.

Behold, pictured here alongside the Master:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I wonder if Moffat even considered just asking Paul McGann to be in the larger special?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/954006527786061824

https://twitter.com/IanLevine/status/954024159922794496

https://twitter.com/hellothisisivan/status/954012264016826368

Heh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Makes sense that Ian’s another insufferable Babylon 5 fan :smuggo:

I kid... sort of

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

B5 is amazing; a remake would be terrible. The good parts and the bad parts were of its time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

remusclaw posted:

I wonder if Moffat even considered just asking Paul McGann to be in the larger special?

Something something Fox film problem? I think?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Makes sense that Ian’s another insufferable Babylon 5 fan :smuggo:

I kid... sort of

Don't apologize, B5 fans are terrible. If not for Firefly and GoT they would still be the worst genre fandom.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Dr. Who fans are way worse than B5 fans just due to sheer volume

I don't even know anyone who watched B5, and I know a lot of sad nerds

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

Something something Fox film problem? I think?

I'm pretty sure the BBC owns the character of the Doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Edward Mass posted:

I'm pretty sure the BBC owns the character of the Doctor.

I thought that was the reason given in the past, that they couldn't do anything long form with him without Fox's permission or some nonsense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Don't apologize, B5 fans are terrible. If not for Firefly and GoT they would still be the worst genre fandom.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand all of those shows.

Also: has Levine explained why he's opposed to the Doctor being a woman or is it the generic reason (sexism)?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

I thought that was the reason given in the past, that they couldn't do anything long form with him without Fox's permission or some nonsense.

I'm almost certain if anything, NBCUniversal would have those rights, seeing as how they produced the 1996 movie. It was, after all, Universal Studios with whom 2entertain had to negotiate DVD rights with.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

B5 is amazing; a remake would be terrible. The good parts and the bad parts were of its time.

Clearly, we need a 24 years later show just to satisfy Levine. Leads will be Claudia Christian as Ivanova, Mira Furlon as Delenn, and Tracy Scoggins as Lochley. Other characters will include Garibaldi's daughter, one of Vir's wives, and the gender-fluid psychic love child of G'kar and Lyta.

Then he can scream about how there are too many women on the show and switch to a Space 1999 reboot.

It might almost be worth it to see what the show looks like with the Wachowskis directing.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I mean, almost all of the major male actors are dead so it's not like they can come back:

Michael O'Hare 2012
Jerry Doyle 2016
Richard Biggs 2004
Andreas Katsulas 2006
Jeff Conaway 2011
Stephen Furst 2017

(leaving Boxleitner, Jurasik and Mumy)

whereas all of the female leads are still alive.

This is a similar ratio to the original Star Trek.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well that's probably why it would have to be a reboot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

Well that's probably why it would have to be a reboot.

When Straczynski was trying to get The Memory of Shadows movie off the ground way back when, he was told he'd have to recast the original characters with better actors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Rhyno posted:

The rights conflict is about Grace, the companion in the film, which is why she never shows up in anything.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 19, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

When Straczynski was trying to get The Memory of Shadows movie off the ground way back when, he was told he'd have to recast the original characters with better actors.

Ouch.

corn in the bible posted:

The rights conflict is about Grace, the companion in the film, which is why she never shows up in anything.

I am also aware of this.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Rirse posted:

There, I got pass Wasp and the Unicorn, which isn't as bad I thought it would be since everyone in this thread talks about how awful it was. Also didn't notice the 'Unicorn' was Jyn from Rogue One.

Don't remember anyone talking about Unicorn for years, if I'm honest. It's pretty forgettable.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Best part about the Grace thing is at the end of the otherwise awful Divergent Arc in Big Finish, when Daphne Ashbrook is playing a different character. The bad guy says they should say Grace before eating, and the Doctor quickly insists,"Grace? Grace? There's no Grace here!"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerusalem posted:

Best part about the Grace thing is at the end of the otherwise awful Divergent Arc in Big Finish, when Daphne Ashbrook is playing a different character. The bad guy says they should say Grace before eating, and the Doctor quickly insists,"Grace? Grace? There's no Grace here!"

I liked the story where they're in a big torus

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

corn in the bible posted:

I liked the story where they're in a big torus

Scherzo - it still holds up pretty well.

The Divergent Arc had such a strong beginning with that, before immediately nosediving into Phillip Martin's wank fantasy, and then a load of stories consisting of people saying "Hmmm, what is this concept of moving from one moment to the next you call, "Time"?" while ironically lasting for loving eternity.

To be fair, if it wasn't for the fact that the revival was looming on the horizon, they might not have made such a mad dash towards the end of that arc, and paced it a bit better.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 19, 2018

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I loved the Multihaven. Whoops be praised!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

"Hmmm, what is this concept of moving from one moment to the next you call, "Time"?" while ironically lasting for loving eternity.

"We simply don't understand this thing you call time. We discussed it for hours, and as the days and nights passed we found we were no closer to grasping this alien idea. Look, I even marked down how long it took on my calendar, which is a thing we all have here!"

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I don't know how they were expecting to actually pull off "a universe without time", but they utterly failed no matter how you slice it. The doctor being bounced around worlds by a malignant entity was already a decent enough concept for a series or two, then throw in Rasillon as well and you're fine, it didn't need the "Oh but what is this thing you call time, Doctor" nonsense.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I didn't like Scherzo, though it was certainly ambitious. (I'm less fond of Robert Shearman than a lot of this thread is, though. Chimes of Midnight was great, of course.)

The only Divergent arc story I have any really fond memories of is the one where the Doctor is split into three people, Enemy Within style.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I'm all for a remake if Sinclair is a 50 year old hard-rear end woman and Sheridan marrying the original idea of Delenn, an androgynous (don't remember if supposed to be genderless or dual-gendered) person turning into a full blown - this time around - man.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

"We simply don't understand this thing you call time. We discussed it for hours, and as the days and nights passed we found we were no closer to grasping this alien idea. Look, I even marked down how long it took on my calendar, which is a thing we all have here!"

lol

That was the major problem with that whole arc. You really have to be told repeatedly that they have no concept of time because none of the authors have thought about how to demonstrate it (and it would be difficult even if they'd given it a lot of thought)! I guess the idea was "He doesn't have a TARDIS and he's a Time Lord in a place without time - what'll he do?" but it didn't quite work out.

Well, that and Philip Martin.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I haven't listened to the Divergent arc but Warrior's Gate made a decent fist of doing a story in a (somewhat) timeless world.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, the only one that does it properly is Scherzo and possibly The Natural History of Fear. For the rest it’s more like he ended up in a place where his Time Lord time-senses that hardly ever come up anyway are cut off and therefore that must mean there’s No Time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The final explanation for that guff is that time in the Divergent Universe is an infinite causal loop that means the Doctor can't get his bearings. How this impacted the vocabularies of its indigenous species is an exercise for the listener.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I rewatched the Eleventh Hour this morning and it's still so much fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched the Eleventh Hour this morning and it's still so much fun.

"Hello! I'm the Doctor! Basically… run."

• Locked thread