Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Bicyclops posted:

His opponent in that election, however, was too cartoonishly evil to be a Doctor Who villain.

Master: Woah hey back up, man. The cackling is way too far over the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
WIFE and I spent Christmas eve watching the City of Death (twang), it was her first Four story and she absolutely loved Romana II, especially her "I am so much smarter than you dumb ape" passive aggressive smile

Anyway where is the Christmas special where is it DELIVER IT TO AMERICA STRAIGHT INTO MY GODDAMN EYEBALLS

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dabir posted:

I hated it.

I thought it was brilliant.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Sorry about your bad opinions bad opinion havers but that owned.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh

Brilliant.

Perfectly handled. Just the stunned look followed by glee.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

My only complaint is that the Captain felt like he was just there so Moffat could put Mark Gatiss in the episode

Also Twelve should have regenerated after "One more lifetime won't kill anyone, except me," but I'm not going to bitch about an extra two and a half minutes of Capaldi getting to ramble
It's extra stupid because Twelve crashed the Tardis, Thirteen's not the one who exploded

I'm not wading into that morass to fill even one brain cell with the opinions of horrible stupid people but I will say that I don't understand why the Doctor keeps regenerating in his/her TARDIS without any safeguards or anything.

I mean Nine went fairly quietly, Ten wrecked the TARDIS, Eleven crashed it, and Twelve blew it up. Just park the drat thing and go regenerate below decks or something! You used to not detonate everything in a four block radius when you did this!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

joe football posted:

Eh, that's the next guy(girl)'s problem

:sigh:

BTW, can someone get me a GIF of One's monocle popping out? That thing's gonna get a lot of mileage from me.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I just realized I typed "his/her" earlier and :3: a little

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

This just in - Doctor Who fans in disagreement, film at eleven.

It's at 10! :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Putting the TARDIS in flight through the time vortex helps ease the Regeneration process.

My pet theory is that the regeneration energy gets more devastating the more times it happens, and around 18 it's just going to be a huge atomic blast that levels cities.

Narsham posted:

Doctor is forced to assume another identity as Liz Shaw, ends up forced to work for a patronizing Time Lord for a year.

Actually, I'm looking forward to the first time 13 tries to explain that her name is Doctor John Smith.

While I'm pretty sure she'll introduced herself as Jane Smith it will still be really funny if she kept it and didn't understand what the big deal was at first. Jeanne Smith :haw:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

thrawn527 posted:

Well it sure is better than the last time Moffat went into, "What happens when we die." Getting captured, put into a weird after life (so long as you're not cremated, where you can apparently feel your body being burned?), made into a Cyberman.

"Getting stuffed into the Matrix and then a Cyberman by The Master" wasn't on my list of expected afterlifes, that's for sure.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah speaking of is there any way to inoculate myself to that horrible accent in the next year or so, short of stabbing my eardrums out

Imagine I photoshopped Sonic Shades onto Thirteen with the caption "Deal With It." :smugdog:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Maelstache posted:

He still hates tyranny and oppression, and anything that is anti-life.

Never knew I needed a New Gods/Doctor Who crossover before this.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

TL posted:

I didn’t like One’s casual sexism, and the whole thing was a lot more low key than I was hoping for...but once I realized that they were at the Christmas Armistice I started ugly crying and I didn’t stop until “Oh, brilliant!”.

"Here we go... the long way 'round" got me a little more than I thought it would.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Michelle Gomez is a delight. I hope she reprises the role.

Her sorta-kinda-redemption arc was pretty cool, and I thought it was v. poignant that the Doctor will probably never know that he actually got through to her

I'm sorry, the Master is now dead forever and always and will definitely never be brought back to life by the vaguest of explanations :smith:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

side_burned posted:

Chiming in to say Whittaker's first moment as the Doctor was excellent; that moment of complete confusion followed by the excitement was very good. Matt Smith's last speech is my favorite scene of the Doctor on their way out but Whittaker has the best entrance of a Doctor.

The best part was the "Huh, that's neat! :haw:" followed by immediately going into ACTION DOCTOR mode when the TARDIS blows up as usual. She barely got a chance to see her new face before she's hanging on for dear life.

Eleven had issues getting his TARDIS under control, but Thirteen just inherited a flat out death trap from Twelve.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

I will really miss this control room, it was the best we've had in the entire revival.

further violating gender stereotypes Thirteen will just throw all her poo poo on the floor and tidy up maybe once a month

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

Well now i want to watch the tv movie you jerks.

When I rewatched it I was stunned how much better it was than I remember. Every single goddamn scene is beautifully shot. The plot's a little dodgy at times but that's pretty much classic_doctor_who.txt so ok!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

docbeard posted:

I don't really care for the Valeyard as a concept, but I remember enjoying the Master's "gently caress this, there is ONE twisted mirror image of the Doctor allowed and I GOT HERE FIRST" reaction quite a lot at the time.

(I like the Anthony Ainley version of the Master probably a lot more than he deserves.)

or perhaps, docbeard... it is you who are liked a lot more than he deserves.

Mwa ha.

Mwahaha.

MWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rhyno posted:

How influential has this show been on all of your lives?

I do Eleven's post-Amy hand-wringing thing sometimes when I'm thinking

Which reminds me... I loved how Smith basically played two different doctors in his tenure: a goofy bow tie and tweed nerd, and a bitter washed up Joker that bordered on amoral at times.

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 22, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Timby posted:

He wants to do an episode with Whittaker.

this would be dope

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I said this during her announcement and people thought I was crazy, but Whittaker has this way of her face slowly lighting up in joy that is amazing to watch and absolutely 100% the Doctor.

e: aaaaaaaaaa where is the new series where is it

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 23, 2018

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

jivjov posted:

While I won't disagree that that story was awesome, I feel like BF has gone to the "the one good Dalek, we swear" well a few too many times in recent memory.

I just got done reading a short story with Ace and Seven where they gently caress up the universe trying to get out of a temporal zone and end up turning the entire dalek race into a force for peace and enlightenment. Seven has to go back and undo it before the universe implodes with Ace screaming at him the entire time not to. :discourse:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

God I loving love that scene.

Though probably my absolutely favorite ever "here's the TARDIS" bit is probably tied between,"Something old, something new, something borrowed, something.... blue" from The Big Bang and, of course, from Day of the Doctor:

The Moment: You know the sound the TARDIS makes? That wheezing, groaning. That sound brings hope wherever it goes.
The War Doctor: Yes. Yes, I like to think it does.
The Moment: To anyone who hears it, Doctor. Anyone, however lost.

I leave the parking brake on on my car all the time, but people don't throw a welcome party for me! :mad:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Organza Quiz posted:

It's weird with Eight because for a while there Big Finish "knew" that he was the one who pushed the button and seemed pretty dedicated to giving him a character arc that would cause him to do that, but then the 50th happened so now he never would have! But he would have, if he did. But now he never would have.

This is pretty much eighthdoctor.txt so I'm okay with it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

remusclaw posted:

Invasion is the first Doctor Who I ever saw. Just blind bought a couple of DVD's of random Doctors when friends were telling me I would like Doctor Who. Got Invasion, The Siluian box set I think, and Five Doctors. Picked the right one to watch first, Troughton , Padbury and Hines are by far my favorite crew and I don't know If I would have gotten into the show if the first thing I had seen was Warriors of the Deep.

I showed my wife The City of Death (twang?) as her first exposure to Four. Oddly enough she liked Romana II the most—specifically, that smug little "fine gently caress you this isn't going to go the way you want" smile.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Soothing Vapors posted:

I understand so little of what goes on ITT

this but every thread and also rl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Oh... my... God... I'm... GREAT :haw: