Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
Secret Santa in the mail 12/13/17 to arrive before Christmas. It's not as personal as I'd hoped -- life got in the way so I ordered/shipped it online and the site didn't offer wrapping, I apologize -- but it's heartfelt. Hope it's well received. :ohdear: I think it can be returned if not.

Another piece of Christmas business that's niggled at me every year since I started watching Doctor Who way back in the dark dark ages. c. 1991.

Does anybody else think the 1984 Band Aid song Do they Know it's Christmas sounds a bit like the Who theme from McCoy's era? Every year it comes around on the radio and I strongly reminds me of the . . . is this the bit that people who understand music call the "middle 8"? The nice part of the theme that doesn't get as much love as the main bit which was highlighted in/as The Sound of Drums. So this year I'm finally asking a bevy of Whovians. Am I nuts (about this in particular) or do y'all hear it too?

Band Aid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjQzJAKxTrE&t=151s

7th theme
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0r27kOw2rw&t=20s

e: on reflection, now that I actually play them back to back, it's really not alike at all. Maybe I'm thinking of a different version of the theme? Or I have the aural equivalent of color blindness? But the part of Do They Know it's Christmas I linked to really does remind me of the Who theme for some reason.

King Plum the Nth fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.
This is awesome, thanks. It's literally been driving me nuts for years -- but just a really ow grade nuts and then only for a few weeks out of the year on odd occasions when I actually hear the song in the wild -- so I never bothered checking it out before. Nice to know I'm not totally alone.

Thinking of pop music and Doctor Who just lead me right back to Rock and Roll (Part Two)/Doctorin' the Tardis which was so fun to listen to again I'll post it just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdTELokKfCk
I'd never seen the video before. :D They somehow managed to make a prop Dalek that looked cheesier than any monster ever in the history of Who itself. It's uncanny and pleasantly hilarious as, I'm sure, they intended. Bubble wrap and tin foil really do look better than this.

Davros1 posted:

That's silly. The middle eight existed long before Do They Know It's Christmas.

It's a fair argument by try making it in favor of Hydrox.

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

So, is there any way to buy episodes/stories on digital streaming? I (think I) know that all extant stories are available to stream if you pay for a subscription to BritBox but is there any legal option if you just want to buy a single story à la carte -- like you might buy Iron Man or John Wick or something on Amazon? I had a yen to watch City of Death but my VHS copy is at my parent's house 3000 miles way and, well, VHS. (Shamefully, I' don't actually have a VHS player at the moment.) For reference, I'm in the US. Am I going to have to buy a DVD?

• Locked thread