Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CommonShore posted:

The best thing about The Five Doctors is Pertwee's coat.

And that's not a sleight at the rest of the special - I enjoy it! - But that loving coat!

I have to go with the Brigadier punching out the Master. Always brings a smile to my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lucy seems confused but I for one am pumped to finally watch Hell Comes to Frogtown! She doesn’t know anything about good movies anyway, she’s just a dog.

Thanks Mystery Santa!

Wow. DEF-CON 4. One of those movies where I always loved the VHS cover in the video store but never got around to renting.

And here we have Paul McGann doing a perfect impersonation of me during last week's Steelers/Patriots game, minus the copious amounts of swearing.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 20, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Astroman posted:

"POD SIX WAS JERRRRRKS!"

"I HATE POD SIX! THEY ARE A TO-TAL SUCK POOOOOOOOD! THEY MUST BE EX-TERM-IN-A-TED!!"

“DODGE-BALL TIME! IT IS DODGE-BALL TIME!”

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Edward Mass posted:

In preparation of Capaldi's exit, I'm watching the Fires of Pompeii for Christmas Eve.

I’m enjoying a nice plum pudding with Edward Grove.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
“There's this emperor and he asks this shepherd's boy, ’How many seconds in eternity?’

And the shepherd's boy says, ’There's this mountain of pure diamond. It takes an hour to climb it and an hour to go around it!’

‘Every hundred years, a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on the diamond mountain.’

‘And when the entire mountain is chiselled away, the first second of eternity will have passed!’

You must think that's a hell of a long time.

Personally, I think that's a hell of a bird.”

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
This just in - Doctor Who fans in disagreement, film at eleven.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As an ugly American I'll be completely honest that it took me a few tries to figure out what Thirteen's first words were. And even then I swore it was "oberlin" or "auberlin" before turning closed captioning on.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

TL posted:

Weird. I’m an uglier (and most assuredly also stupider) American and I had no problem at all. I had to rewind four times, though, to realize Twelve was saying “Doctor...I let you go”.

It could be accent confusion. I have a strong Pittsburghese accent to the point where two people from deep Alabama point blank asked me what the gently caress was up with my voice. If I regenerated my first words would be "Let's take 'er dahntawn'n'park outside Primanti."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just sad we never got an Armando Iannucci penned episode with Capaldi

I have a feeling it would have been an even more twisted take on The Happiness Patrol...

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

The War Doctor conveniently forgot that 8 was all about kissing too. <:mad:>

Man snogs ONE redhead, he's stereotyped.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

Well now i want to watch the tv movie you jerks.

Go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

To be fair, he also wrote this:

Starring three actors who have played the Doctor!

drat it, OK. Tennant, Whittaker, ???.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

David Bradley plays the grumpy corner store guy who... well, if you haven't seen it, you should see it!

Oh, him! Forgot about his charatcer!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm picturing something like the episode of Jessica Jones where Kilgrave tries to be a hero, and I like it a lot

You know, the chap who played Kilgrave would make an excellent Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Mameluke posted:

Eric Roberts is a delightful ham and it's a shame there's never been a push to have him reprise his role on the TV show.

Isn’t this because Fox owns the rights to the TV movie and they won’t let the BBC use any creative content from it?

It’s one of the reasons we’ve never seen or heard about Grace Halloway as a former Companion during the revival and why anytime Eight does show up in archive footage it’s from The Night of the Doctor.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

That’s definitely not true. Grace has turned up in the comics, and even in the 50th they were using footage from the TV Movie.

I'm going off the below paragraph from the TARDIS wiki. You're right about the comics (I forgot about them) but with regards to Eric Roberts' Master...

quote:

Due to FOX's stringent protection over original characters & content, they have repeatedly prohibited the characters of Grace Holloway, Eric Roberts's portrayal of the Master, and Chang Lee (among others) from reappearing in the revival series. Thus, this story marks their only appearances in the series proper (however a photograph of Grace is included among those of other companions in TV: The Day of the Doctor, though only a portion of the photo is visible on screen (it is next to that of the Brigadier). As of 2016, Big Finish Productions has been unable to obtain the audio drama rights to Grace and Chang Lee (though the actors have performed other roles for the company). There appears to be no prohibition on Grace appearing in comics form, however, as she appeared several times in the Doctor Who Magazine comic strip and was featured in IDW's Prisoners of Time comic miniseries.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wife – “Now that we have Jodie Whitaker it’ll be YOUR turn to have a crush on the Doctor like I did with Tennant!”

Me – “…yeah, have I told you about the Eighth Doctor?”

But seriously I like this picture. The outfit looks different from this angle (not as high-waisted) and the look of quiet wonder on Whitaker's face is just perfect for the Doctor.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 12, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Well Capaldi isn't wasting any time jumping into the convention circuit...

https://regenerationwho.com/guests/

That's a hell of a lineup, not just of Doctors. I'd go just to listen to Janet Fielding and Mark Strickson participate in a panel!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
If anything Doctor Who, along with the movie Halloween, showed me that you don’t need expensive special effects and a huge budget to tell an amazing story that resonates long past the initial viewing. You just need a good script and dedicated actors with a creative crew and staff. The show is definitely a rare case where the actions taken behind the camera have influenced me as much as the ones in front of it!

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 22, 2018

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Rhyno posted:

I've regenerated.

Hey, I'm still waiting to regenerate into Peter Cushing.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

The Impossible Planet is one of my favourite episodes for tone. It’s got this great sense of just how isolated the crew are, billions of miles from absolutely everything, all alone in the night. Murray Gold does a really good Firefly pastiche with his lonely cello score which helps sell it all. Plus it’s all capped with the very Lovecraftian unknown slowly creeping horror. Honestly it’s just aces. Shame about Part 2.

I love part two just for the look of sheer joy on Ten's face when the cavern is collapsing around him and he looks up to see the TARDIS.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, that’s not photoshopped on?

I don’t want to go down this rabbit hole! :cry:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

Inspired by Forktoss and Brig Sockface, I decided to draw something for the first time in a long time.

In unrelated matters I can now never sleep again for the rest of my life or this drawing of Tom Baker will eat me.

I'm reminded of the picture from previous threads of a latter-day Tom Baker smiling and waving as he enters someone's abode...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s never been a good revival-Who Christmas special and I hope Chibnall does away with them :colbert:

Last Christmas and I will fight you so hard on this.

• Locked thread