Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Outside of Gatiss, the old control room, and Whitaker that was pretty poo poo. The antagonists were needlessly confrontational, the First Doctor was a sexist punchline and all of the big speeches were felt like retreads. "One more lifetime won't kill anyone...except me" would have been great but it was surrounded by waffle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Grouchio posted:

I haven't regularly watched Doctor Who since Series 8's end, how has the show held up since then and how was this episode?

The most recent season was one of the best of the revival. Two naff episodes in the middle but overall it was really good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I can't imagine anybody would watch this episode and think "gee, now I want to see more stories with One" which is a bit poo poo compared to virtually every other multi-Doctor story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Also Richard E Grant should have another entry for when he was the 9th Doctor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

remusclaw posted:

The last lesson Doctor Who should ever teach is that humans are too fragile to do good and that you should leave the heroism to the immortal space wizards.

"All good in the universe comes from the Doctor" was another bit of the Christmas I wasn't a huge fan of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The "gay Gypsy bar mitzvah for the disabled" line was good too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Physics/maths textbooks called "Advanced [whatever]" are usually mid-tier undergrad; the ones you really have to look out for are the ones titled "An Introduction to [whatever]", those are the hard ones

And then there's Mathematics Made Difficult, which is one of my favourite books of all time.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

2house2fly posted:

See Moffat never bringing back Jack Harmless or any of the old companions

Moffat wanted to bring back Jack for A Good Man Goes to War but he was unavailable.

Plus he brought back Piper for the 50th.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Time Lord's became much worse than the Daleks over the course of the war. It's a shame Moffat made it all so dull and pedestrian. The 50th undoing the destruction of Gallifrey is his greatest mistake, especially because he did nothing of interest with it.

Yeah, "you have to find Gallifrey" was a fantastic set up for an arc and it lead to one of the shittier episodes he's written.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

James Henry posted:

It’s just occurred to me that as Steven Moffat’s run on Doctor Who has finished, I can now tell you how I sent the worst typo IN HISTORY to the production team without worrying I’ll be giving away any potential spoilers or anything.

The Doctor Who series before the last one (or possibly the one before that), I was approached for possibly writing an episode for the series, which as you can imagine is quite an exciting thing to be asked to do. The odds weren’t great, I think they had four episode slots free, and they’d asked sixteen or so writers to come in and do a pitch. So after submitting a few one-paragraph ideas, I got on the train to Cardiff and had a preliminary meeting with the lovely script editors Richard and Derek (*waves*), then worked the ideas up a bit more, and then was asked to come to another meeting in Chiswick, in front of script eds, producer and S. Moffat. I’ve met him before, he’s very nice.

The pitch meet opened thusly:

MOFFAT : So, what's your relationship with Doctor Who?
ME: Well, I wasn't allowed to watch it because it was deemed 'too scary', but my library had the Target novelisations, so in my mind there was only one Doctor who sometimes had a scarf and sometimes didn't, but didn't really have a face because I'm not great at faces, but either way, he always seemed more of a literary figure than a visual one.
MOFFAT: (shocked) You weren't allowed to watch Doctor Who?
ME: *sad face*
MOFFAT: That's basically child abuse!
ME: (getting phone out) I KNOW, RIGHT?! Please call my mum and tell her.

(I didn't actually do the last bit but MAN I wanted to).

I then did the worst pitch I’ve ever done. Started off well, then my brain clagged up I said ‘and then’ a million times and forgot bits and had to go back and start again at least twice I DON’T RECOMMEND THIS and I was reduced to asking for some water, and the sound of the water jug being slid across the table to me was exactly the screeching sound from Men In Black when Will Smith drags the table across the interview room, it was uncanny.

By then, the odds had already narrowed to eight writers for two eps, although if you’re a Doctor Who fan, you’ll have spotted my name isn’t on any of the credits, so you know how this ends. Well sort of, smarty pants, although you don’t know exactly how I get there, so settle down.

Sadly, the big ideas I’d had were already taken (the Doctor organises a heist! we go deep inside the Tardis for a thing!), so I was given an idea to muck about with: Strax the Sontaran, member of the Paternoster Gang the Doctor’s occasional chum, is taken back to his home planet by his fellow Sontarans, who view him as a traitor for his regular helpings-out with the human race, not to mention one Time Lord, and place him on trial, the sentence: death. And probably a horrible death too, because if you’re not familiar with the Sontarans, they’re basically the angriest baked potatoes in the galaxy, and enter every room like this: GAAHHHHHH!

So it doesn’t look good for Strax. I had an idea for how you’d explore this, and Steven Moffat was throwing better ideas at me like one of those baseball machines in American films, I was sort of juggling his ideas while mine fell all over the floor and rolled under tables and so on, but we got somewhere in the end, and even though it was the worst pitch I’d ever done, I got to go away and write it up.

This reminds me, I had another idea about an old battle Tardis. A Tardis specifically designed by the Time Lords for WAR, and they said ‘ah, we’re just about to do this’ but clearly they never did. Where’s Battle Tardis! I LOVE Battle Tardis!

Anyway I wrote it up, and they batted it about, and by then it was me and another writer up for one remaining slot and to cut a long story short (too late!), they went with the other writer, so I didn’t get to write for the Twelfth Doctor in the end (sad face).

But that’s not what this is about. What this is about is, during the development process I got an email from the script editors/producers of Doctor Who with the RUDEST TITLE HEADING EVER.

Crikey! I thought, and also Gosh, and I Don’t Think They Meant This Email Title For Me. Had they perhaps replied to another email, forwarded it to someone, then it had got all caught up with their email to me? It seemed unlikely, but I couldn't think of a better explanation, I decided to reply to it, not mentioning the somewhat enormous faux pas in the email, they’ll spot if themselves, I thought, and realise what they did.

Only a day or so later did the horrid truth assert itself, like a Battle Tardis would have done if they’d ever done that episode. Because I suddenly realised that the email was in reply to ME, which meant the original title had been written by YOURS TRULY, and they’d just politely not mentioned it and replied back to me in much the way I’d decided to do to them.

So remember, the idea for the episode was for 'Strax' to be put 'on trial'.

Not, as I'd written

*sigh*

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rirse posted:

I just noticed my 'start from the beginning of the Revival to the newest Christmas Special' is going to hurt as I see Love and Monsters is next. I never seen this one, I just know it suppose to be really bad. How bad is it compared to some really awful stories from Buffy like Beer Bad.

The bad bits are loving dire but it's built around a pretty neat idea and when it's exploring that it's actually okay.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

trouser_mouse posted:

What are the thoughts on Jodie's costume now some new pics are out?

Thumbs up from me I think - it's got a vibe of six and five in a way, it's going to look great on a comic page and on an action figure!

I don't like the high-waisted capris.

Other than that it looks good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

The bit about Moffat writing three different libraries of dead people was particularly astute. I super didn't notice that until you pointed it out.
Moffat loves libraries. His first official Doctor Who thing (to my knowledge) was a Seventh Doctor short story set in a library.

The 4th Moffat idea is clearly achronal timey-wimey shenanigans.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 9, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AndyElusive posted:

Again, need I remind you of CyberBrig?

Please don't.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

:catstare:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Vinylshadow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOfIIqb8Uhg
Moffat's interview continues, with talks abut the Eleventh Doctor's run and the 50th Anniversary special

io9 posted:

Steven Moffat has long made it known what an insanely stressful time the creation of Doctor Who’s 50th anniversary special was—an event almost so disastrous it nearly didn’t have the Doctor in it at all. But at long last, Moffat has revealed what story he would’ve had to use for the potential reality of “The Day of the Doctor” with no Doctor.

Speaking in the second part of a vast interview with The Doctor Who Fan Show covering his now-concluded era as showrunner, Moffat delved further into his previous comments on the nightmare-that-was when it came to delivering a 50th birthday bash for Doctor Who. According to the writer, he’d sold the BBC on Doctor Who’s answer to the Olympics, only to find, as he’d previously revealed, that Jenna Coleman—then currently the Doctor’s traveling companion, Clara Oswald—was the only person the team actually had contracted to appear:

quote:

There wasn’t anything very enjoyable about doing [“The Day of the Doctor”]. I look back on it with great satisfaction—I think it’s a genuinely terrific episode of Doctor Who, I’ll just say that—but at the time... I was just upset. Everybody was cross with me, I remember that. Everybody was cross. Everybody.

The script was late, so everybody was cross at me, and I’m saying ‘Guys! Who’s in it, who have you got!? Nonono, You tell me who you’ve got, under contract, to be in it, because I promised this year’s Olympics. Could you tell me who’s in this?’

‘Jenna.’ And that was the list.

So I’m doing, celebrating 50 years of Doctor Who... with Jenna. Who’s wonderful, and one of my personal favorites, but I don’t think that’s really gonna cut it!

But what we didn’t know, was just what Moffat was going to do with his sole star had nothing else worked out. Apparently, he began drafting a version of the special where Clara was the lead character—and although The Doctor would appear, it wouldn’t be any incarnation fans had ever seen on screen, not even Matt Smith’s then-current iteration:

quote:

So I came up with an alternate version of the 50th. Which was, the Doctor having stepped into his own time stream at the end of [season 7 finale] “The Name of the Doctor,” he’s eliminated from all of space and time, and Clara is trying to remember him. And the Doctor turns up in various fictional forms, and she says ‘That story’s true, that wizard, that was the Doctor,’ so she keeps encountering this, and we have the Doctor played by a succession of very famous people. That was my plan. ‘Very famous people.’

Luckily, Moffat was granted a moment of hope when Matt Smith and former star David Tennant both signed up. Christopher Eccleston, who famously departed the series after just one season under less-than-amicable terms, declined to appear, necessitating the creation of a new “old” incarnation of the Doctor, played by John Hurt. According to Moffat, the decision was made so late the script for “The Name of the Doctor” ended with a statement from the writer saying “I’ll figure it out when we figure out what we’re doing for the 50th” rather than the scene that eventually revealed John Hurt’s War Doctor.

Just over four years on, we know it all turned out okay for Doctor Who’s 50th Anniversary. “The Day of the Doctor” broke broadcast records at the time and turned out to be warmly received. But it’s kind of spectacular just how close it came to being a complete and utter disaster, a prospect even scarier than any villain the Doctor had ever faced down in 50 years of time travel.

You can see the Moffat’s full thoughts on writing the special, as well as everything from taking over Doctor Who to the misfire of the show’s giant-sized redesign of the Daleks in the full interview below (the first part can be found here, too!).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I haven't listened to the Divergent arc but Warrior's Gate made a decent fist of doing a story in a (somewhat) timeless world.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It's not the worst aspect of the Silurian two-parter but it really bugs me that there are so few people involved in the drilling operation, especially when you compare it to Inferno or the original Silurian story.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The devil 2-parter was pretty good too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Canon is ridiculous in televised Doctor Who anyway, because there are least four separate explanations about how the earth blew up and three separate explanations about Atlantis.

And how many alien entities guiding human development?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

2house2fly posted:

Christmas Carol is probably as good too
Unlike Last Christmas it's actually good, because it doesn't rely on cheap "they are awake OR ARE THEY?" poo poo at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rirse posted:

So I up to Forest of the Night which still not a good episode, but one thing I remember from past episodes is how the earth was pretty much abandoned after a giant solar flare in the 29th century. So what happened to the automatic forest system to protect it that time?

The trees abandoned the planet as well.

• Locked thread