Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

After The War posted:

The Fifth Doctor's Sonic and "The Visitation?" I see what you did there, DoctorWhat! You'll get yours... oh yes, you'll get yours! :sassargh:

Thank you, you're the best! :unsmith:

There should be another DVD either arrived or incoming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, check your mailbox... now.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm cartoonishly hypercompetent!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Meanwhile, I recieved a poster tube containing this delightful portrait:

and no other information. Who could have done this?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Is that a confession?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well I loved it. I need more wall art.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well holy moly, now you've got my interest piqued.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

McCoy looks great with a beard!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

wasn't there that eighth doctor big finish where they fought a southern politician

We don't talk about Minuet in Hell, you know that.

pretty little satin bottoms

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Tom Baker passing on The Holy Terror seems nuts until you realize the K9 version wouldn't have that story' best character.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

At long last, after being a good and patient boy for very many years, I will receive a dedicated disc of the Heaven Sent soundtrack.

2018 is gonna be a good year.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I feel like they're more consistant writers than Moffat. Obviously they've all got their own quirks, and good and bad - Moffat can do fantastic one-off episodes, but he can't plot a narrative arc for poo poo.

It's hard for me to pinpoint exactly why I tend not to like Moffat's handling of stuff on the whole - though I think he got better on the last series, with Bill. I know one of the big things I have - :siren: Spoilers for aBagorn :siren:

if you're going to kill a character - make sure they loving stay dead. If you're trying to set up a tragedy, don't immediately undermine it by waving a loving magic wand and then "oh actually they're alright now". Clara dying by playing Doctor (which is set up in the series) is tragedy - the Doctor spends an entire episode grieving over her - undone with "actually she's now an immortal and goes on her own coming soon Big Finish adventures, yeah she does die technically, but in the future lol". Or Bill with "hey I'm a human monster losing my sense of self in a metal shell, oh don't worry I'm now a water person it's all fine".

Kill your loving darlings, Moffat.

To be fair on that last one, that could be addressed in the upcoming special.

Clara rules and deserves life actually. There's no reason she shouldn't get away with the same poo poo the Doctor does.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Yeah, that too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh

Brilliant.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

ewe2 posted:

I share many misgivings about the Xmas episode, I don't buy that the Testimony is, if not actually evil, actually good, but perhaps that will be explored later. Very happy for our first look at 13 and I hope at some point she can own 10 like 11 did, I'm very pro that. I personally wish that the TARDIS was given more credit as a sentient being which can handle all of time and space and has a better idea of where the Doctor is needed than the Doctor him/herself, that's just something I wanted to add because boy am I tired of the "oh no the Tardis is blowing up with a new Doctor" routine.

But I'm disappointed that the poll didn't include Graham Williams who produced some of my favourite classic Who ever and did it under trying circumstances :mad:

Testimony will not return, or if it does, it will return in a mediocre Big Finish in 15 years. Take the story at face value and accept the premise that it's not an evil plot, maybe?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Anyway, it's weird to see those lines come in for a bit of a kicking, they're the only ones I actually like. The rest of the speech is just repeating from when the Doctor was saying goodbye to Clara

hmm i wonder why that might be the case

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

2house2fly posted:

Because Steven Moffat sucks poo poo and should be killed!!!

It's because the whole point of seasons 8 and 9 is that Clara is just as deserving of the Doctor's life as the Doctor is, and that "Clara Who" is valid.

Duh.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a good plot point and Clara owns.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

we don't need to pit clara and donna against each other. they, like evelyn smythe (hallowed be her name), are extremely cool.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

f... friends :unsmith:

I disagree with most of this but I will never deny that S7 Clara was a nightmare. S8-9 Clara was tops.

S7 Clara is also good, just not as good as she could have been. Part of that was by design but using the Doctor's myopia as a lens for the program ultimately did Clara a disservice.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I know some people don’t like the opening theme during 12’s time, but I think it’s one of the strongest ones since the revival.

Not enough Middle Eight.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Edward Mass posted:

I said “opening theme”.

The TV Movie opening starts with the Middle Eight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6DdbgaGf_4

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Still not enough Middle Eight.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I mean, Missy wasn't just mustache-twirling evil either, not the way Harry or Crispy was. A post-Missy incarnation could have any number of roles.

I'd borrow a page or two from UNIT: Dominion, myself...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Alex MacQueen.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Yep. The Time Lord's became much worse than the Daleks over the course of the war. It's a shame Moffat made it all so dull and pedestrian. The 50th undoing the destruction of Gallifrey is his greatest mistake, especially because he did nothing of interest with it.

Moffat only showed the end of the war, when - explicitly! - all the nightmare weapons the Time Lords made had been used up and the war had degraded, Skaro-like, into infantry and trenches. He didn't "make it pedestrian" and this willfull choice to ignore the actual text frustrates me even four years later.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My headcanon is that the monster baby from The Holy Terror is (an aspect of) the Nightmare Child, and that trillions of Nightmare Children were dispatched in the Time War.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Capaldi deffo wants to take a break, he said so at the final panel at NYCC. I agree with that decision.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Matt Smith may be eager to record audios but I'm not sure I'm eager to hear them.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've cooled on the 11th Doctor, and every story I hear about Matt Smith's behavior in recent years has disappointed me.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Gonna need some details bud.

Getting drunk at Alex Kingston's wedding and berating her for "betraying" him by appearing opposite Capaldi.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

2house2fly posted:

The other reference to the Valeyard was the Great Intelligence in Name Of The Doctor. I suppose since the Doctor isn't actually the Valeyard, the point of using it there was to imply Mr G Intelligence didn't know quite as much about the Doctor as he thought. Also someone somewhere outside the show (in an interview maybe? Or spinoff comic?) implied that the clone Doctor from Journey's End was the Valeyard

It was a comic that implied it but then backed away from it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Now Sam Kisgart, on the other hand...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

There are tons of fantastic older series episodes worth watching, though I would advise against binging them. They're a product of another time, and stories take 4-7 30 minute episodes to resolve with frequent padding. Watch one episode of each story per day over the course of a week to avoid comparative burnout, IMHO.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's like how Dark Souls has a dead, impotent king and a dessicating world in each game.

Speaking of Dark Souls... Heaven Sent.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

it even has a fog door it's literally anor londo with cycles of death, rebirth, and combustion

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

holy gently caress tom

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

what the gently caress, tom???

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

cargohills posted:

Stuff that isn't made by David Lynch can have subtext too, you know.

I know writers who use subtext, and they're all cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DULL CONCERN!

• Locked thread