Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cerv posted:

apart from a bit about not brining Sally Sparrow back, there's not much here but apparently Moffat said something silly about not doing a woman Doctor before because of Brexit

Something to the effect of, "I thought about having a female Doctor before we cast Peter, but I decided not to because not everyone who watches the show is as progressive or enlightened as I am," and cited people voting for Brexit as evidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
On one hand, it's too bad they didn't have Terry Molloy back, but on the other, Julian Bleach as Davros was enormously fun. The "It's too late -- I'm regenerating!" cliffhanger and the big "TO! BE! CONTINUED!" were also great (even though the next episode was never going to live up to them, which was a problem common to both RTD and Moffat).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Here's an interview RTD did with the NME the other day about how he got into screenwriting and his career in TV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pesky Splinter posted:

The series has been going down hill since Davis left JNT left Tom Baker left Colour televison after The Unearthly Child pilot :o:

It was a perfectly competent series about a policeman walking through the fog then it went downhill when it turned into all this rubbish about some schoolteachers and some teenager and some old geezer with white hair.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My assumption is that audience expectations have changed for this kind of programme, combined with how the Doctor's relationships with his companions sometimes varies compared with the classic series (most particularly Ten and Rose). I feel like writers (especially someone who's as keenly aware of fandom as Moffat appears to be) probably worry that if they don't definitively give a reason for why the Doctor can't just go and meet up with his friends after their actors they leave the TARDIS, people will complain about it.

In the case of RTD's companions, I think the problem was that there was never any reason they'd want to leave the Doctor voluntarily (other than Martha, who I like as a companion both in the show and in a meta sense). Moffat has the opposite problem; his companions always have a "hub" and don't really travel with the Doctor on a "full time" basis so there's not usually a good reason in-story for them to just stop travelling with him when they can go home whenever they like (Amy and Rory could've and should've had that; just "We'll always value our time with the Doctor and he'll always be welcome in our home, but we want to settle down now" would've been a perfectly good ending for them).

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Watching Sacha Dhawan in The Tractate Middoth, a horror short on BBC4. He would make a great Doctor.

Remember when the bookies had decided, "It's probably not going to be a woman," and the betting narrowed to Dhawan or Luke Treadaway?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It had bits I liked and bits I wasn't as keen on. On balance, I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but it didn't leave a huge impression on me beyond the regeneration itself.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Chibnall does. Hopefully it will be different if nothing else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah speaking of is there any way to inoculate myself to that horrible accent in the next year or so, short of stabbing my eardrums out

Well, if you dislike it that much, the best I can suggest is to repeat to yourself, "At least she's not from Belfast."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

I remember Troughton's Doctor being sexist at the beginning. "Go make the tea, Polly"

The First Doctor did that as well, but only when Richard Hurndall was playing him.

("I sometimes used to get a bit tetchy; fortunately one mellows with age.")

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thrawn527 posted:

Unless he already had a kid at home. He referenced a family, so I’d say there’s a good chance.

He mentioned his wife and his boys.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Fil5000 posted:

If we're talking fantasy Who writers, I'd love an episode by Charles Stross. He'd have to tone it down a bit, but I think the way he can mix sci fi-horror stuff with utterly mundane British bureaucracy would be sweet.

Kim Newman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Davros1 posted:

Didn't care much for his Doctor Who novella though

I haven't read it, though I've read most (not all) of his other fictional stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
How much of The Adventures of Tintin was Moffat and how much was Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Burkion posted:

Not only was Moffat only the third guy to those two, Stephen Speilberg was the director who could and would excise poo poo from a script if he wanted.

So you know, that's about the role Moffat needs. Sandwiched between two even better writers and supervised by a level headed person

I watched it yesterday and there was a lot of dialogue that felt very Moffat. A lot of the speeches Captain Haddock makes feel a lot like stuff he wrote for Capaldi.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Starring

PETER WYNGARDE

as

THE DOCTOR

with

DONALD SUTHERLAND

as

THE MASTER

Produced by ITC Entertainment

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Would watch the gently caress out of that.

Imagine if Doctor Who had been an ITC show. I imagine it would've gone like:

First Doctor: Patrick McGoohan
Second Doctor: Roger Moore
Third Doctor: Richard Bradford
Fourth Doctor: Peter Wyngarde
Fifth Doctor: Kermit the Frog
Sixth Doctor: Jason Robards (only appeared in the 1980 feature film Raise the TARDIS)
Seventh Doctor: Ian Ogilvy

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I think it would depend on the nature of the writer's legal relationship with the BBC when he created the character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I'm excited for Whittaker and wary of Chibnall. I'm just hoping that he concentrates on running the show and commisions good scriptwriters instead of, y'know, writing episodes himself.

Obviously one of the big announcements we've heard is that he wanted to move towards having a collaborative American-style writers room for the show, but another rumour I heard was that he was going to write every episode of season 11 himself (which is why it has fewer but longer episodes).

At the same time, he's said he has a five-year plan for the series and the BBC have committed to letting him go with it, so that will hopefully be interesting to see.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

Davison has the best reactions to things

Except, perhaps, to the Doctor being a woman.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zaroff posted:

He was paid in scripts, pre-broadcast edits of episodes and old props.

Levine was very well-off (he was able to pay thousands of pounds to buy copies of episodes of Frontier in Space back in the 70s), so I doubt he needed the cash.

Yeah, he was fairly well-established as a songwriter and producer in the burgeoning Hi-NRG scene by the time he got involved in Doctor Who. He didn't lose his money until later in the decades when he ploughed most of his fortune into a plan to found a new record company which he'd use to record all his favourite old Motown stars doing songs he'd written for them, which (perhaps predictably) flopped.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how Paul McGann is the same age as Peter Capaldi but you wouldn't think so if you saw them standing next to each other.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

2house2fly posted:

That episode had some really funny bits despite how dumb the plot was.

I remain unsure whether the Reverend shouting angrily at the guys stealing from his church and interspersing his rant with "BZZT! BZZT!" like a wasp was meant to be funny or dramatic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's like how Frank from "Daleks In Manhattan" grew up to become Spider-Man.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He would've made an entertaining Doctor himself.

Behold, pictured here alongside the Master:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

Don't apologize, B5 fans are terrible. If not for Firefly and GoT they would still be the worst genre fandom.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand all of those shows.

Also: has Levine explained why he's opposed to the Doctor being a woman or is it the generic reason (sexism)?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Great new av, BTW.

I was due a change anyway. I like to imagine all my posts being read in Peter Wyngarde's voice now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know if Doctor Who has had any profound or particular impact on me, at least not to the extent that others have described, but I've watched enough of it that it must have done in some fashion. There are episode that I'll watch and think, "I would like to be able to write a story like this!" so it has influenced me in that sense.

If nothing else, it has entertained me for an hour or so on Saturday evenings and that's generally been good enough for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The holey sweater was better than the Noel Edmonds shirt.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Interesting that the default James Bond looks just like Archer.

Jack Ryan is just Ben Affleck, isn't he? There's not a whole lot of Harrison Ford there anyway.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cell posted:

Chris Pine has played the part as well.

Indeed, and Alec Baldwin played him first, but I think if you asked someone, "Who played Jack Ryan?" they'd probably say it was Harrison Ford (since Harrison Ford played him more than once).

Patriot Games is the best one, by the way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's Tom Clancy's self-insert character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't think of Soldeed without smiling. :allears:

And to think Graham Crowden was almost the Fourth Doctor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Personally I want a DW Halloween special.

It's the Great Intelligence, Doctor Who

If I knew how to photoshop I would put upside down K9 on top of the TARDIS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Good grief.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm sorry, but if you didn't enjoy Faye Marsay dancing past a bunch of monsters to Merry Christmas Everybody then you have no soul!

I kind of get the feeling that she was sort of planned as the new companion if Jenna Coleman had wanted to leave at that point. Honestly, I feel like that was set up to be her big finale.

I remember being very surprised that people thought Faye Marsay was being set up as the new companion because I didn't get that impression at all; if anything, I was sure that Natalie Gumede's character (Ashley) was being set up as the new companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Doctor Who continuity doesn't work

• Locked thread