Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
"What did you say, my boy? It's all over? That's what you said... but it isn't at all. It's far from being all over...!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rad, her natural accent is adorable

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The deets for series four of the Third Doctor Adventures have been updated, confirming that the second story features the Cybermen and is written by Marc Platt.

This isn't a range I've really paid much attention to so far apart from buying the first set on sale (but not having yet listened to it) given that a) Pertwee's era is one where I'm missing is proper TV experience (ahead of only Davison in number of stories I've seen) and b) the fact that the lead is a recast in full cast dramas also kinda lowers the "it's the originals!" draw a bit (Treloar doing narration and the Doctor is one thing, I can buy that, there's just this dumb arbitrary line in my head when you ditch the narration and move to full cast. Same as I like The Early Adventures for their "lost serial soundtrack" feel but wouldn't want Peter Purves or William Russell playing the Doctor 100% in full cast audios).

But holy moly if "the Third Doctor faces off against the Cybermen in a story penned by Marc 'Spare Parts and Silver Turk' Platt" isn't a "shut up and take my money" prospect. I've been waiting for an accessible 3 vs Cybes story forever given that the previous CC Big Fin did featuring that matchup is stuck in the "CD only" ghetto of the first series.

Box of Bunnies fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 11, 2017

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

jivjov posted:

You neglected to mention Rufus Hound's Monk showing up. I'm always glad for that.

Didn't mention that because they'd said he was going to be in it when they first announced the set a month or so back but had only done the ~mysterious tease that we'll announce later~ for the second story which now, being later, has been announced.

Though that certainly is a selling point, too. The short trip he narrated featuring his Monk and the Third Doctor was brilliant so more of that pairing is very promising.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The main thing I took away from The Five Doctors, apart from Tennant and co.'s DVD commentary on it, is the image of Carole Ann Ford in her 40s with that cool coat and scarf as my main mental visual reference for her return with Eight in the Big Finish audios. The look just really suits "older Susan, scientific adviser to the reconstruction of Earth" to me.

Of course the story treats her like garbage with her sole identifying trait being "tripping over nothing and spraining her ankle" (there's a problem with that era of the show and women that actually exists if you want to comment on things like that, Steven), but I really dig her new look.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I've been listening to The Twelve Doctors of Christmas short stories. Three, Jo, and Mike Yates turning up in The Christmas Invasion only to have Jackie barge into their Tardis is hilarious.

Of course, it's already Christmas here in the Australasian Zone so I'm rocking a cute but seasonally inappropriate Snowdalek.

A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The "let's cram more overt sexism from the Doctor into these sixty minutes than there was in the three years of his run" was every bit as grating as expected but otherwise I enjoyed that.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Narsham posted:

He is now Rusty T. Davies.

QUELLE DO-MAGE, DAAVVVROOOS

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
It's not the best serial of the era, but The Space Museum would probably act as a pretty good "counterpoint", or whatever you might say, to Twice Upon a Time's depiction of the First Doctor. You get to see more of the cheekier, more warmly mischievous side that the Doctor had developed by then, and the younger female companion of the time spends the story fostering armed revolution.

LividLiquid posted:

Not to get too personal, but my own Catholic mother, in her sixties, was... exactly how you'd expect. And having Doctor Who tell me I was alright being me was a big loving deal.

Great to hear that the show was able to do that for you, thanks for sharing. Hopefully your ma comes around.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I liked Clara but "actually, turns out you can" is kind of an unsatisfying resolution to "companion behaves like the Doctor and it eventually catches up with them because people can't survive the way immortal space wizards do" which was otherwise a really interesting development for her after Danny.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

remusclaw posted:

The last lesson Doctor Who should ever teach is that humans are too fragile to do good and that you should leave the heroism to the immortal space wizards.

I think there's a difference between "don't try to do good" and "don't be completely reckless with your life while doing good because you're not an immortal space wizard"

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Cyberwoman is really bad but I think I'd need to know how much of the design was described in Chibber's script and how much of it came from the art/costuming/production/whatever before laying it all on him

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The first series of Companion Chronicles stories are finally available as downloads at Big Finish!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Speaking of Masters, James Dreyfus is surprisingly actually really good in the First Doctor Adventures. Has a smooth, sinister Delgado quality to him.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The villain should have been Ace who, having graduated from the academy, eventually advanced to head of the war council, advocating the use of Sonic Baseball Bats to whack Daleks out of time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rirse posted:

I just noticed my 'start from the beginning of the Revival to the newest Christmas Special' is going to hurt as I see Love and Monsters is next. I never seen this one, I just know it suppose to be really bad. How bad is it compared to some really awful stories from Buffy like Beer Bad.

The monster is naff, there's a pretty bad moment with Rose, and it ends of pretty much the worst thing the show has ever done but other than that it's actually mostly pretty fun

I am the one-woman Love and Monsters Appreciation Society™

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

That was definitely not the first reference to the Valeyard in the revival.

Yeah, there's been at least one other time when someone was rattling off other names the Doctor would be known by and "the Valeyard" got thrown in with stuff like "the oncoming storm."

DoctorWhat posted:

Getting drunk at Alex Kingston's wedding and berating her for "betraying" him by appearing opposite Capaldi.

Jeez, I'd completely blanked on that. That's really creepily possessive.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

2house2fly posted:

Also someone somewhere outside the show (in an interview maybe? Or spinoff comic?) implied that the clone Doctor from Journey's End was the Valeyard

The IDW comic story The Forgotten had a villain that initially presented as Ten-2 with a Masterish goatee calling itself the Valeyard that eventually turned out to be a parasite latched onto the Doctor while he was passed out in the Tardis kinda like the facehugger things in Last Christmas.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hahaha, the loving Kandyman is going to be in the Doom Coalition followup.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The Hand of Fear/Names of the Flabby Dick/The Seeds of Doom

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
please look forward to the next animated adventure featuring Tom Baker, Doctor Who and the Soggy Sao

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Senor Tron posted:

Hopefully he has a plan for a multi-doc episode in there, reckon Tennant will be getting a bit old to play the 10th by the 60th anniversary.

It's okay, McGann has looked basically the same haggard-but-handsome since they shifted his Doctor from "romantic optimist adventurer" to "worn down by the universe's bullshit but still wants to help out where he can." He'll still be good to go in five years time.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I loved the Multihaven. Whoops be praised!

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Rhyno posted:

How influential has this show been on all of your lives?

I not only listen to but actually buy radio dramas in tyool 2018.

I also share a full name with a character from the show, but neither of my parents were fans as kids and my middle name comes from my grandmother so that's really more of a weird coincidence

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Zaroff posted:

Despite them both being born years before Doctor Who started, I have a mother called Susan Barbara, whose brother was called Ian...

your grandfather didn't happen to be an inventor who bore a resemblance to Peter Cushing, by chance?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Davros1 posted:

Did series 7 have Day of the Doctor or Time of the Doctor on it?

Nope.

Christmas specials usually end up as the first episode on the next season's collection, but series 8 didn't have Time presumably because it was a regeneration episode or whatever? So The First Doctor was a Raging Sexist, Actually will probably only be available standalone since it was Capaldi's regeneration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Husbands of River Song :colbert:

• Locked thread