Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
This is a conversation that said that series 3 and 4 were the creative peak so it's not the only odd opinion floating around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rirse posted:

I just noticed my 'start from the beginning of the Revival to the newest Christmas Special' is going to hurt as I see Love and Monsters is next. I never seen this one, I just know it suppose to be really bad. How bad is it compared to some really awful stories from Buffy like Beer Bad.

Just make up your own mind on it

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Voyage of the Damned shares its name with the true story of holocaust fleeing Jews being turned away by multiple countries, so it can never be anything but rated F.

2house2fly posted:

Its not really bad as such, it's just a silly episode that's more overtly for kids and has a sex joke at the end which is in insanely poor taste.

It's for people who were involved in Doctor Who fandom in the 90s

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

BSam posted:

turns out there are no bad dr who episodes

Episodes 2 and 3 of The Ice Warriors, their presence just kills the story.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

You just think that because the monster looks like Ian Levine

The monster was based on Ian Levine (and the Slitheen quite likely named after him)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

We've already seen the Doctor dread his final regeneration, knowing that he will die next time, and that's Ten's.

Five's :v:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Dabir posted:

Appreciate the attempt but that would have been Four and he seemed very accepting of it.

Oh right, yes, misread.

Well we had all that business with the Watcher

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Now look here, Master

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

quote:

Mark Gatiss had previously admitted that he'd "started crying" when he learned of the connection between his character and the Brigadier.

"Amongst the many gifts Doctor Who has given me, to actually end up being the Brigadier's grandfather is... I couldn't have imagined anything more brilliant," he said.

What the gently caress Gatiss

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Soothing Vapors posted:

did the estate just not watch the Kate Stewart years or do they just hate Gatiss tainting their legacy specifically

The Beeb may well have asked permission for that

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Teenage me found it an eyeopener and no mistake

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

David Fisher, author of a couple of decent stories and one that could be charitably referred to as "undermined by its production" has died

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Lots of good sci fi ideas. I'm a big fan of the Stones of Blood.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Watching The Stones of Blood. Bloody hell I always forget about the dress that Vivien wears in the second half. Professor Rumford is also one of the finest and most accurate academics in fiction.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Doctor is canonically non-fictional (The Mind Robber)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

cargohills posted:

Stuff that isn't made by David Lynch can have subtext too, you know.

Indeed. But even Death of the Author can't make every claimed subtext interesting

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Peter Wyngarde, the Ron Grainer Arrangement Doctor who also appeared in Planet of Fire, has died

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

B5 is amazing; a remake would be terrible. The good parts and the bad parts were of its time.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I mean, almost all of the major male actors are dead so it's not like they can come back:

Michael O'Hare 2012
Jerry Doyle 2016
Richard Biggs 2004
Andreas Katsulas 2006
Jeff Conaway 2011
Stephen Furst 2017

(leaving Boxleitner, Jurasik and Mumy)

whereas all of the female leads are still alive.

This is a similar ratio to the original Star Trek.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mameluke posted:

Isn't that Ian Levine?

No

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

EdBlackadder posted:

Doctor Who basically led to my career. See, I was born just before it went off air and grew up in the wilderness years, watching repeats. When I was very little my Grandad had cancer and I wanted to know who the men who were walking around looking after him were and found out they were doctors. I was 5, I thought you could get a TARDIS of you studied really hard at school.

Well that didn't last long but that idea about medicine stuck and now I'm a doctor. Still no TARDIS though...

Yeah, speaking as someone who went into the sciences having a sciency role model probably helped a lot

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Congrats on the engagement, Rhyno.

Release the engagement rhino in celebration

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Nah you're not tall enough to be the enormous fellow that is RTD

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I'd say their worst episode each are about on par.

For me that would probably be Voyage of the Damned for RTD and The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe for Moffat. Good Lord those are both awful. Though Planet of the Dead comes close.

Edit: gently caress, and Unicorn and the Wasp too. Jesus Christ.

Gareth Roberts wrote Unicorn and half of Planet

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

Track down Web of Fear, his second ever appearance

And then the entire Third Doctor run in order.

Yes all of it.

Web of Fear is his first, and you're skipping The Invasion (his second) for some reason.

Note that by the time you get to late Pertwee the character is becoming a parody of himself.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Chokes McGee posted:

I showed my wife The City of Death (twang?)

No twang!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I do a good Soldeed

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

It's also great with the commentary track, as they all find Packer's increasingly dishevelled appearance through the course of the serial hilarious :3:

The other stand out funny thing is them saying "You all look so young!" about Wendy Padbury, and then a guy coming on later who basically says "Phwoah I'd like a bit of that" whenever she's on screen

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

Saw that the German Complete 7th Doctor Boxset is going to have the extended version of Silver Nemesis that was released on VHS but not on DVD

Oh, "good"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

But overall it reminds me that for all the warts, the show has actually grown and matured considerably.

I disagree, it's pitched at a different audience (mass market vs american nerds)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

TL posted:

Christ, I should never check the awful app in bed

Yeah, bedtime is for sleeping not for... other activities

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Rirse posted:

So I up to Forest of the Night which still not a good episode, but one thing I remember from past episodes is how the earth was pretty much abandoned after a giant solar flare in the 29th century. So what happened to the automatic forest system to protect it that time?

Doctor Who continuity doesn't work that way

GOODNIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Weekly reminder that this isn't Ian Levine, it's another portly gentleman.

• Locked thread