Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best producer/showrunner?
This poll is closed.
Verity Lambert 30 15.31%
Barry Letts 7 3.57%
Phillip Hinchcliffe 32 16.33%
John Nathan-Turner 6 3.06%
Russell T Davies 33 16.84%
Steven Moffat 50 25.51%
Chris Chibnall (I am from the future) 38 19.39%
Total: 196 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Jerusalem posted:

Hoping to watch the special live but it is probably unlikely, I am gonna miss Capaldi alot :unsmith:

I am super excited for Jodie but yeah I'm gonna miss Capaldi like crazy, I didn't think I could love anyone in the role more than Matt Smith but here we are

DoctorWhat posted:

Clara rules and deserves life actually. There's no reason she shouldn't get away with the same poo poo the Doctor does.

:hf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
My only complaint is that the Captain felt like he was just there so Moffat could put Mark Gatiss in the episode

Also Twelve should have regenerated after "One more lifetime won't kill anyone, except me," but I'm not going to bitch about an extra two and a half minutes of Capaldi getting to ramble

TinTower posted:

Let's see what Twitter thinks of Jodie:

:smithicide:
It's extra stupid because Twelve crashed the Tardis, Thirteen's not the one who exploded

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm not wading into that morass to fill even one brain cell with the opinions of horrible stupid people but I will say that I don't understand why the Doctor keeps regenerating in his/her TARDIS without any safeguards or anything.

I mean Nine went fairly quietly, Ten wrecked the TARDIS, Eleven crashed it, and Twelve blew it up. Just park the drat thing and go regenerate below decks or something! You used to not detonate everything in a four block radius when you did this!

Haha yeah

maybe actually falling out of the Tardis because you keep making the same dumb mistake will finally teach him/her to stop doing it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joe football posted:

"Well one more lifetime won't kill anyone...Except me" would have been great last words right up there with "You were absolutely fantastic, and you know wot, so was I!" but then they blew it
even that line + the "doctor, I let you go" thing would have been better

joe football posted:

Also did they ever explain why the doctor didn't remember the first doctor having this adventure? The 12th doctor definitely mentioned this so it had to have been addressed at some point and I just missed it?
not really but they made a point last week of noting that Missy couldn't remember details of meeting the Master because of Timelord Bullshit

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

What? Dude, Ten's farewell was like 17 minutes long.
And it felt so much longer

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I just noticed on a rewatch that they used the theme from Heaven Sent instead of the normal Twelfth Doctor theme for his regeneration
I'm gonna miss Murray Gold

Cleretic posted:

The way she says it is so good, this is looking like she's the first Doctor who's just loving on board with this new regeneration. No confusion or complaining, she takes in that new face and is just as up for it as the rest of us.

she's so excited her fists are balled up too :3: loved it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

We'll probably just have a low effort exchange like this:

Person: "Oh, and you're a doctor? Doctor Who?"
13: "Doctor Smith... uh John Smith." [13 makes a "whoops," cringe expression]
Person: "Well Dr. Joan Smith, I'm quite pleased to make your acquaintance"
[13 makes a "that was close" expression as Person turns his/her back]

And unless I'm horribly mistaken (not being entirely in tune with regional accents in the British isles), the Yorkshire accent might help that play out.

Yeah speaking of is there any way to inoculate myself to that horrible accent in the next year or so, short of stabbing my eardrums out

twistedmentat posted:

How long until we get a real episode with 13 in it?

fall 18 I believe

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

Imagine I photoshopped Sonic Shades onto Thirteen with the caption "Deal With It." :smugdog:

lol, that's fair

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Dabir posted:

There's a decent TV series set there called All Creatures Great and Small that's probably worth watching. It's all on YouTube.

Ah poo poo I loved James Herriot books growing up, I'll check that out. Thanks.

Failing that I'll just drip weak acid in my ears slowly over the course of the next year until everything sounds equally garbled and terrible

Barry Foster posted:

Ah get the gently caress out :jerkbag:
Never be cruel, forums poster Barry Foster. Always be kind

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Grouchio posted:

WHAT DO YOU MEAN THE DOCTOR IS 4 BILLION YEARS OLD NOW!? :psyboom:

He's not, and don't read spoilers for those two episodes, they are some of the best Doctor Who I've ever seen

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

AndyElusive posted:

Just in his mind, physically he's much younger.

Not even in his mind, he only spent about a day Doing That Thing from his perspective

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

What are y'alls thoughts about the missy subplot this season? I thought it was refreshing that the season didn't lead to a universal crisis. All of capaldi's seasons have been smaller scale and I have appreciated it. I'll miss that wonderful man and can't wait to see what the show becomes under the new boss and doctor.

Merry Christmas y'all.

Michelle Gomez is a delight. I hope she reprises the role.

Her sorta-kinda-redemption arc was pretty cool, and I thought it was v. poignant that the Doctor will probably never know that he actually got through to her

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm sorry, the Master is now dead forever and always and will definitely never be brought back to life by the vaguest of explanations :smith:

:rip:

docbeard posted:

She's said she won't, and it's looking like they're trying for as clean a break as possible, but goddamn I hope so too.

A Big Finish spinoff where she and Matt Lucas have ill-tempered adventures through time and space would also be acceptable.
Aww.. makes sense though, clean slate

But yeah I need the adventures of nardole and missy right now

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

joe football posted:

I'm glad that this was how doctor who did the Christmas truce and not an episode where it turns out that it was actually a space alien who orchestrated it all with some witty dialogue

Yeah, that was a good decision.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

god he looks so fuckin happy

so does Gatiss

nerds

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

2house2fly posted:

I can't help but (affectionately) gripe about any time the 12th Doctor ends up retroactively affecting something before it. It already takes place in an alternate timeline and the events which caused the creation of the alternate timeline originated themselves within the alternate timeline, and now it turns out the 1st Doctor would have refused to regenerate and died without meeting the 12th Doctor, meaning the original timeline was actually also an alternate timeline caused by the second alternate timeline interacting with the original timeline! My head is exploding!

The one good thing that came out of the RTD era -- other than Oxxipation's infinite suffering -- is the show's overt acknowledgement that time travel is a bunch of dumb bullshit and we shouldn't think too hard about it

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Each time I rewatch it I like his whole rambly speech more.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a good plot point and Clara owns.

I've never felt closer to you

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

clara isnt as good as donna. donna deserved it more

Clara is actually much, much better than Donna. For example, Clara did not let a moron wipe her memory

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

docbeard posted:

look around furtively, and tenses, ready to dive for cover

(whispering) i still like moffat

Jerusalem posted:

Me too, the show was far better and more consistent under him than RTD
f... friends :unsmith:

Burkion posted:

Here's the thing with Clara.

Like, honestly.

Clara was only a character in season 8. She had the school, she had Danny, she had aspirations beyond the Doctor and a character arc

Before season 8 she's a glorified plot device that wildly changes from episode to episode to fit whatever is needed

After season 8 she's just a confused mess because Moffat got so wrapped up in his SET UP THINGS THAT DON'T MATTER IN THE BLUNTEST WAY POSSIBLE gimmick of the season that she didn't actually get a proper character arc.

The signs were pointing to her dying and being suicidal from early on but then that didn't actually happen but then it did but not in the way it was building up to and all of the build up of the Doctor traveling with her not always being the same chronologically was just kind of tossed

And she as a character regressed hard with only flashes of her actual personality she found in 8. She went back to The Every Companion, Buy One Today

And then she gets an overwrought and overblown death scene that is just comical and not at all appropriate only for the solid three minutes of her dying to get undone the episode after we spend an entire episode mourning her.

Basically the idea of Clara is great.

The reality of Clara is flawed, confused and kind of a mess.

I disagree with most of this but I will never deny that S7 Clara was a nightmare. S8-9 Clara was tops.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I forgot about Let's Kill Hitler

I think my brain tries to protect me from how bad Who is most of the time

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

howe_sam posted:

there was also

ahaha I forgot about that

and it made me remember this:

I guess LKH wasn't all bad

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

I really forgot how great Rory is and now I am remembering all the other great Rory moments and I want to go back and rewatch Matt Smith's run

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

BioEnchanted posted:

With the Ponds I kind of liked Amy's outburst when she brings the Doctor back from her own memories of him - "I remember you Raggedy Man and you are LATE FOR MY WEDDING! :byodame:"
Karen Gillan's bizarre line read on that is probably my favorite Amy Pond moment

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Huh, that's not what I expected an exterior shot of the Tardis to look like. The exterior is less spacious-looking than I expected, given how large the interior seems. :haw:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Alex Kingston is just awful in large doses. I sincerely hope she's gone from the show for good.

Husbands of River Song was such a perfect bow on her character arc that they'd be stupid to ever bring her back.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It has some of Capaldi's finest work in the role but the " does the sunset admire you back" stuff was a bit much.

Yeah, but it was worth it just for him mocking her afterwards. "The roots of the sunset?"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Eiba posted:

Maybe a future incarnation could be set up as a rival, rather than a straight up villain. They could go around trying to do good, but being uncomfortably brutal or utilitarian or something, to contrast with the idealistic Doctor.
I'm picturing something like the episode of Jessica Jones where Kilgrave tries to be a hero, and I like it a lot

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

too hammy, imo

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

The Time War, like most RTD ideas, was genius and really dumb at the same

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

did the estate just not watch the Kate Stewart years or do they just hate Gatiss tainting their legacy specifically

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Tim Burns Effect posted:

As promised:

:nws: "Who On Earth Is Tom Baker?" - a sample, read by the author :nws:

this is literally 12 minutes into the book by the way.

this is incredible

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Narsham posted:

I just read something which triggered the following redemptive reading (a la Sandifer) of The Lie of the Land. I hasten to preemptively add that I don't think Toby Whithouse intended a word of this.

The site I was reading was describing liking the opening minutes, up to the moment where Bill's dramatic decision to shoot the Doctor gets turned into a big joke and the story devolves into a tonal disaster where Bill saves the world with her hypothetical mother-love, which the Monks can't touch unlike all the other people in the world who love things that don't really exist. It's massively cringeworthy even before you realize that despite the show setting up Bill's mother early and underlining the ways in which she is important to Bill, nobody could be bothered to give her a NAME. (Seriously. The TARDIS Wiki lists her as "Bill's Mother." I'm not even certain that we can guess her to be Ms. Potts. I suppose it'd be worse if her name turned out to be Lupo Cattivo Potts...)

Then, it occurred to me that the Monks were defeated by an idea and an ideal which they couldn't touch, but not the one that the episode insisted upon. Bill didn't give the Monks the world by consenting in The Pyramid at the End of the World, she gave them the Doctor. The subsequent events reflect the fact that instead of having "our Doctor," we're stuck with Capaldi doing his level best to play a character who is someone else instead. Treating tricking his companion into trying to kill him as a joke, perpetuating something terrible upon the entire rest of the world in order to set up that test, then taking credit for Bill's heroism at the end and giving an air-punching speech of triumph as he watches his friend, student, and close companion burn out her brain to save the world? That's not the Doctor, the man who was willing to let the Universe burn to save Clara. That's somebody else.

I still vividly recall the moment while watching Kill the Moon when I went from suspecting what was coming to reacting to the bold decision to go full-bore science fantasy and have the Moon be an egg that was hatching. Disagree with the execution or the aftermath all you like (and certainly that story is strong evidence that Peter Harness is an alien sent to Earth to study humanity who chose to do so through writing, because he seems to be oblivious to subtext), whether or not that was a wise choice to make, it was a bold one and strongly affecting. Much of The Lie of the Land had the same feel for me, in relation to the Doctor's characterization. What if the idea which defeated the Monk's wasn't Bill's nameless mother dwelling in her mind, but rather the nameless Doctor dwelling in our minds as an audience? If that's the case, then that abrupt shift into the final scene, with the world waking up and forgetting what had just happened, is like us waking up to the return of the Doctor we believe in and the show we (mostly) enjoy watching after suffering through the Monk's alternate version. (Perhaps in a few cases, it's a literal waking up. Let's say the episode could have benefited from a Sontaran tripping over a deck chair.)

As such, the entire episode becomes the Lie, refuted by our reaction to it.

If we're all stories in the end, then I prefer to believe that one over what we actually saw on screen.

u watsonian bitch

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

The moved the phone cabinet handle to a different side, changed the legitamtely beautiful font on that panel to whatever mess it is now, did away with the different levels of frosting in the windows, changed the top lantern to something multi-tiered and more complicated looking and, worst of all, have put weird notches on the four side pillars at the top and bottom. It's also gigantic. It's bigger than Smith's/Capaldi's was.

I know they don't seem like much at all but I think every one of those changes is terrible.

I didn't even notice they changed it
lol

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Dr. Who fans are way worse than B5 fans just due to sheer volume

I don't even know anyone who watched B5, and I know a lot of sad nerds

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

TinTower posted:

"Hello! I'm the Doctor! Basically… run."

I never get tired of rewatching that scene

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

"Basically... run" works for me mostly because of the way Matt Smith's face goes from pleasantly goofy to threatening in the span of the sentence

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

How influential has this show been on all of your lives?

I used to respect myself a lot more

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

i mean i dont have to answer that question, really. it's obvious.

peter capaldi changed my life

elaborate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

DoctorWhat posted:

I mean, Colin Baker too - I have the 6 outfit - but basically I never really had any sense of how I wanted to dress or present myself until Twelve's later-season hoodie-and-button-up stuff came around. I got more confident, made more friends, got a nice job.

That's awesome :)

• Locked thread