Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Look at this player.

It's through the music store that gives him bass lessons. He'll be playing a gig or two every month. He's blowing my mind with his learning TOOL and RUSH and MUSE songs, and now he's singing backup vocals.

BONUS: We built that bass together, he painted it and and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sure I get it it seems like nothing huge.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
However, so I don't sound like an rear end...

I've been posting videos on here of him jamming with me and his brother for 5 years. I know it's nothing outstanding. But I feel like it's a pretty cool thing to happen after just 4 years of playing

And if you're a young kid on here wondering if you'll ever have the nerve to play with a performing band, don't give up. It took me a decade from when I started playing guitar until I joined a band and played onstage.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I'd be super proud, and as a 32 year old just now getting into music I am jealous of your 13 year old son. I've only gotten to play with a group a few times so far and it's a great experience. Still looking forward to getting to perform in front of an audience.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
I"m 40+ years old and just played my first gig last month. Props to your son! Wish I'd started much sooner.

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice
Yeah thats way cool mag7 and he's got some solid musical influences for sure. I'm a high school teacher and I don't hear much about kids forming bands these days outside of "School of Rock" type programs. I know when I was in high school (in the late 80s) there were like 5-6 bands and we'd do "battle of the bands" type things at school picnics and festivals. Nowadays it seems kids mostly want to be DJs and I don't hear about bands so much. Oh and get off my lawn.

nh
Feb 2, 2003
That is very cool. I can only imagine how proud you must be.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
This is a very Dad thread, but wholesomeness is good so that’s awesome :)

He has the hair for being in a band for Sure.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Well this thread put a huge smile on my face :) I'm 28 and still haven't played a gig despite being good enough for about 12 years to pull off alot of covers. If I had a father who was as supportive and shared music in general as a passion who knows where I'd be now. My parents acted like my interest in playing music was the worst thing ever and mocked me, and tried to discourage it as much as possible. So pretty jealous of your son lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Constipated posted:

Well this thread put a huge smile on my face :) I'm 28 and still haven't played a gig despite being good enough for about 12 years to pull off alot of covers. If I had a father who was as supportive and shared music in general as a passion who knows where I'd be now. My parents acted like my interest in playing music was the worst thing ever and mocked me, and tried to discourage it as much as possible. So pretty jealous of your son lol.

They're both into music that I don't get - but we still discuss it and explore what it is that they like about it. That's how my parents did music with me as well. My dad took me to see AC/DC long ago. Bless that deaf old man.

• Locked thread