Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I guess I just don't see Trae Young as athletic enough to really make an imprint in the NBA. His vision and passing are great, yes. But if he is too slow to make any separation that's all kind of going to go to waste.

I do think Trae Young's floor is pretty high, as he probably will be able to impact games with his shooting, I just dont see him developing past a spot up shooter who can run an offense in a pinch.

Whereas I see Sexton as bouncy, and quick, with the potential to be a plus defender. It just seems to me the potential is way higher there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

I guess I just don't see Trae Young as athletic enough to really make an imprint in the NBA. His vision and passing are great, yes. But if he is too slow to make any separation that's all kind of going to go to waste.

I do think Trae Young's floor is pretty high, as he probably will be able to impact games with his shooting, I just dont see him developing past a spot up shooter who can run an offense in a pinch.

Whereas I see Sexton as bouncy, and quick, with the potential to be a plus defender. It just seems to me the potential is way higher there.

I remember people saying this same poo poo about Steph Curry and James Harden

(Also about Jimmer)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

I remember people saying this same poo poo about Steph Curry and James Harden

(Also about Jimmer)

people say positive things about literally every prospect worth a drat, idgi

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

morestuff posted:

I like this dude for Charlotte mostly because of fit, didn’t he show a lot in the back half?

Yes. He's versatile. He's long. He's projected as UK's highest overall pick at the moment, assuming he leaves. He'd be crazy not to. I feel like he needs to get into the NBA and learn what his role at that level is going to be.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Trae Young is as athletic as say, Lonzo Ball. He doesn't have to be an amazing athlete to run an offense. He's also 19.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Lonzo can get away with having a slow as poo poo motor because he is 6'6" with a huge wingspan...

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Young's handle and vision are good enough that I think he can play point even without being super explosive

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Paul Zuvella posted:

Lonzo can get away with having a slow as poo poo motor because he is 6'6" with a huge wingspan...

Also, his shooting on layups says he totally can't get away with it

https://twitter.com/AnthonyIrwinLA/status/981005152172761088

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

I liked him a ton even before the title game and think he could sneak into the back of the 1st but i assume he's going back so he can be the number 1 option next year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MourningView posted:

I liked him a ton even before the title game and think he could sneak into the back of the 1st but i assume he's going back so he can be the number 1 option next year

I dunno, his racist/homophobia stats are off the charts now, if he waits a year they might go down

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Every 13 year old is trash

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

MourningView posted:

DiV checks most boxes imo

Good shooter
Good enough athlete
Good ball handler
Sick blocks

I could see it

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I'm all in on the Sixers taking Mikal Bridges at 10. That length getting added to our defense would be magnificent and he'd fit in great with Simmons and Embiid on offense

Jota fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 4, 2018

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Will he be there though? Mocks have him going 8 or 9

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Depending on what Cleveland does during the off season, and how the lottery goes, I dont really see how they dont end up with Mikal Bridges if they select at 6-8.

I could also see someone being stupid and taking him way too high at like 3-4

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 4, 2018

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Paul Zuvella posted:

Depending on what Cleveland does during the off season, and how the lottery goes, I dont really see how they dont end up with Mikal Bridges if they select at 6-8.

I could also see someone being stupid and taking him way too high at like 3-4

The top 10 seems so heavy with centers and PGs that some wing is going to get taken too "early"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’d be fine with a C if one dropped to the Sixers.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Man what did donte post I never saw it

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I’d be fine with a C if one dropped to the Sixers.

Carter or Miles Bridges seem like the guys that you could expect to be there. I could also see Bamba falling as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Echoing what Morestuff says, Mikal Bridges is the top domestic wing so someone is going to draft for fit within the top 10 because they always do.

It honestly isn't that bad of a pick, none of these centers are sure things.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

paternity suitor posted:

Will he be there though? Mocks have him going 8 or 9

It's not out of the question to be able to move up a spot or two with the picks they have if he's still there.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jota posted:

It's not out of the question to be able to move up a spot or two with the picks they have if he's still there.

Who the hell is going to be trading down in the draft? You pretty much know who is going to be selecting ahead of the 76ers and none of them seem like they would want to trade down for any reason.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Paul Zuvella posted:

Who the hell is going to be trading down in the draft? You pretty much know who is going to be selecting ahead of the 76ers and none of them seem like they would want to trade down for any reason.

Im pretty sure you could convince the Bulls to sell their pick again

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Im pretty sure you could convince the Bulls to sell their pick again

im licking my lips

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I was going to say "lol" but then I remembered that trading down just to save 1-2 million dollars a year is an extremely bulls thing to do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

I was going to say "lol" but then I remembered that trading down just to save 1-2 million dollars a year is an extremely bulls thing to do.

Robert Sarver scoffs at you, sir

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Small guards with good touch, great ball handling, and high bball iq have thrived in the NBA. Trae Young will be a very good player if he has a team around him. As they are today, he'll have a better career than Alonzo Ball. Maybe ball will start making threes and can join a modern offense, but as of now, Trae Young is a better fit. Trae Young would need to be Chris Paul feisty to make an impact on defense, maybe he'll get that, probably not, but maybe.

I think, before draft boards are finished and everyone's slotted each man into his ideal slot, it's important to remember how archetype chasing has lead to reaches and busts, disappointments, and confusions, through the years. Trae Young isn't Steph Curry, Markelle Fultz wasn't a more athletic James Harden, Jaren Jackson won't be any of the rim protecting three point shooters. You have to see them as they are and project them without just pasting their face on an already existing player.

All the top wings in the NBA seem to be late in lottery sophmores who didn't test off the charts athletically. They had the right height, and maybe handspan, had a head for the game and kept adding moves and improving.

Bigs usually go earlier, because of all the cliches about size. Players who can't run quickly may have huge strides or nimble feet, letting them anchor defenses despite most preconceptions about what a defense anchoring center looks like.

Deandre Ayton or Doncic will probably be the top pick in the draft, Ayton isn't very similar to Karl Towns except that he's big and too cool for defense. Doncic will never be better than a 'right place at the right time and gives a poo poo' defender. It's worth wondering whether tall hunchback Kyrie who loves passing is a better franchise cornerstone than automatic inside scorer and rebounder, who if tricked into playing defense could shut a game down. Teams will talk to everyone's childhood soccer coach, their mom's hairdresser, to try and get a feel for who they are, but we won't be privy to any of it.

I'm excited to start watching more condensed games of vurrious prospects so that I Can prove all of my various platitudes and rules of thumb about the draft are correct. Wingspan steal block guard, he's out there. Not enough wingspan jack of all trades guy who just needs to be allowed to hold the ball a little, he's out there.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 4, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Speaking of no-wingspan jack of all trades needs the ball guy, Malik Newman declaring and hiring agent.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
It really sucks that ESPN hired the DraftExpress guys, but haven't had them do the same kind of content production

Where are my prospect breakdowns and daily updated mockdrafts :argh:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

It really sucks that ESPN hired the DraftExpress guys, but haven't had them do the same kind of content production

If there are any good YouTube channels doing what DX did I haven’t found them

morestuff fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 5, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The Glumslinger posted:

ESPN's website is loving garbage too so it's really hard to find everything

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Bigs usually go earlier, because of all the cliches about size. Players who can't run quickly may have huge strides or nimble feet, letting them anchor defenses despite most preconceptions about what a defense anchoring center looks like.

Deandre Ayton or Doncic will probably be the top pick in the draft, Ayton isn't very similar to Karl Towns except that he's big and too cool for defense. Doncic will never be better than a 'right place at the right time and gives a poo poo' defender.

Remember KAT scouted as a defensive impact big who might have enough skills to be mediocre to decent on offense. Now he's shooting 42% from 3, one of the best post up centers, and pretty lackluster on defense. To your point, projecting guys before the draft is frequently a crapshoot.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Trae Young turning out similar to Kemba Walker with better range accurate?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

bulls are going to turn in a draft card that just says" that italian kid"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

bulls are going to turn in a draft card that just says" that italian kid"

Then end up with Andrea Bargnani

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Then end up with Andrea Bargnani

(extremely gar forman voice) a former number one pick, basically we won the lottery again

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Trae Young turning out similar to Kemba Walker with better range accurate?

Young’s a much more creative passer but from what I’ve seen isn’t in the same league as a ballhandler

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Trae Young will be the next Jimmer. I have no rationale for why I think this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

Remember KAT scouted as a defensive impact big who might have enough skills to be mediocre to decent on offense.

No he wasn't. He was supposed to be better on defense than he is, but he was billed as being pretty much exactly what he is offensively, a super skilled big with three point range (he didn't actually shoot threes in college but the rep carried over from high school). Every scouting report talks about how skilled and versatile he is offensively and how he's perfect for the modern NBA (especially compared to Okafor, who everyone had pegged as the top pick going into the season)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Trae Young will be the next Jimmer. I have no rationale for why I think this.

Jimmer didn't have anything close to the same vision or passing, he was strictly a gunner. He never cracked 5 assists a game, Young had almost 9 and led the country in assists per game by almost a full assist

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 5, 2018

• Locked thread