Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

What do you guys think RJ Barrett will end up doing? I know y'all hate Duke but it feels like Canada is sending more and more people to the NBA.

Hopefully he'll be the slightly bigger version of what Andrew Wiggins was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Dejan Bimble posted:

How many future firsts + Andre Drummond would the PIstons have to trade to get into "Jaren Jackson Jr" range

If he can really be a good defensive center who shoots threes, they might be able to make something happen.

I think it would depend on who originally would be picking JJJ.

Given his mind boggling improvement in FT%, I don't think Drummond's contract is too onerous.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

How deep is this draft? Is it the type where it'd behoove a team with no picks to try and get one, particularly in the 1st round?

A really solid 8-12 deep depending on who you talk to.

I think it depends on team need. It's probably not worth it to trade into the midfirst unless you're in love with someone. You can probably draft what you need at #30-35 and get a similar player that you would get from #20-25.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Allow me to elaborate: the Raps have one pick, a 2nd round pick at #37. If Boston offered them their pick (#27) for Van Vleet, who we can't really re-sign at what he's worth, should they bother?

Sure, but, and I could be incorrect, I don't think Toronto has any picks this year and I don't think VanVleet can be traded.

If you're looking to replace him, it wouldn't be the worst idea to try and get a pick in 20s. There are a few SGs in that range who have some NBA potential.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

We apparently get the less favorable pick because of some trade involving Orlando and LAL according to NBADraft

I know NBAdraft.net gets shat on a lot for their mocks but they're usually on top of who owes what to whom. If it IS correct, I'm intrigued by Aaron Holiday and Devonte Graham.

I think that was true until the DeMarre Carroll trade, but now Orlando and Brooklyn will have the LAL/Orlando second rounders; Orlando gets the better pick and Brooklyn gets the worse. It's really confusing. I can't find any site other than nbadraft.net that has the Raptors with their 2nd.

I haven't seen much of Holiday, but Graham could be really fun.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

Can someone tell me why 6-3 SG Khyri Thomas is going in the teens and 6-3 SG Malik Newman is undrafted in these mocks still?

I was going to say age because Newman transferred from Ole Miss and had to sit out last year, but Thomas is actually older.

My best guess is that a lot of mocks haven't updated in the past week or two and are waiting for the tournament to finish before doing so. Newman was flying under the radar until March; iirc he was 4th or 5th on the team in usg% for the year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

How stupid am I for thinking Collin Sexton is a better prospect than Trae Young

Not very stupid.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

Yeah Bridges has the benefit of fitting with just about anyone so that makes sense, but once I saw they were getting both of them it was like come on.

It makes a little bit more sense if they move McConnell this offseason, which is looking like a possibility atm.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Wouldn't Bridges actually be a good pick for Chicago, though?

They could slot him into the three spot pretty easily.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

xbilkis posted:

I'd be fine with it depending on who's on the board at the time. It'd just be very predictable if the Bulls passed on high-upside prospects — at a moment in which the Bulls are in need of star talent — for an older role player

Bulls fandom seems to be obsessed with MPJr at the moment and he's been reciprocating the love.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

There was some talk that he might stay.

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/985979297939648512

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/NovaMBB/status/986978481295806464?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/987719374889943041?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

We have the best draft name.
https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/994614905042022400?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/Tweets_By_Zo/status/996343340814753792?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Doncic is probably a better shooter than the numbers indicate. He's been playing for 18 straight months and takes an inordinate number of last second heaves that submarine his 3pt %.

He'd be a great fit with the Sixers or Cavs, assuming LeBron stays. The most interesting match would be with the Nuggets though. Murray, Harris, Doncic, Milsap, Jokic would be realllllly fun to watch.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

kiimo posted:

what the hell

The draft parties have been huge in the past couple of years.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

The Process is a cult

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/996526051286282244?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Spring Break My Heart posted:

adam silver looks more ghoulish than usual

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Omg. He has a beard now.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

America's billionaires are creating hapsburg esque heirs

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/996544991160819713?s=19

He's become so insufferable on Twitter.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait, I thought the Celtics got the kings pick if it was 2 or 3?

Celtics would have gotten the Lakers pick if it slotted in at 2 or 3. Since it didn't they'll now get Sacramento's 2018 pick unless it's #1.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Didn't Porzingis refuse to workout for the 76ers?

Zinger had the same shithead agent, Andy Miller, as Noel. Hinkie was totally in love with Porzingis

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I'm coming around to the idea of the Sixers taking SGA at #10 if Mikal Bridges and WCJr both are gone. I didn't realize that he was so drat long.
https://twitter.com/DXContent/status/998126184721461249?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/JeremyWoo/status/998574569001771008?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kyrie 2.0

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/998579803488956417?s=19

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 21, 2018

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Lockback posted:

Doncic has a better shot and will probably finish better, his passing might be as flashy as Rubio's but I don't think his defense will be as good and I don't know that he will be as good at making the point guard decisions (that's not a detriment, it'll take a couple years).

He's a better prospect than Rubio, for sure. For comps I'm not sure. As a prospect I'd probably say a better Exum, which sounds insulting but it's not meant to be.

He's not like Exum in any way whatsoever.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I don't know the body mechanics as well as some people in this thread but PJ is a stocky buff dude, Miles is lanky.

Miles is pretty thick; Mikal is the long, lanky one.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/Jeff_Ermann/status/1001865733352157187?s=19

Guess not! Hope he reschedules a workout with Utah, he'd be a great fit there

I'm guessing that means his medicals look good enough.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/1001884756425003008?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

A poster on r/nba_draft citing an unnamed source says MPJ is refusing to share medicals with Sac and Memphis which I will choose to believe because :lol:

He was screwed when he admitted he's had back problems for years. L3L4 issues are no bueno.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

My girlfriend is from England and therefor has no allegiance to Boston sports!

Now if I ever said anything bad about Leeds United there would be hell to pay.

You should take her to see a doctor about that.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

He apparently has MPJ at #2 and Young at #3 so that would cause some Tower of Babel chaos on draft night

Which reminds me of one of my favorite draft night memories when Bill Simmons had no idea what was going on in the Nerlens trade.

TBF to BS the details of the Noel trade were initially misreported.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/1006256847446335488?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Doltos posted:

What do you think about JJJ's ability to shoot the 3 though? Weird mechanics aside the ball goes in at a reasonably good clip, especially for a dude like him. He's also pretty decent off the dribble which is really interesting for a top of the key big man.

That's the skill that would make me consider him at #1. He's got a much better handle than I expected in terms of putting it on the floor and attacking the basket from the three point line.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh God James Ham has MPJ going to the Kings at #2 and the Kings are going to a second MPJ workout on Friday :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1007092104185593857?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Rick posted:

I actually like a lot of what Sacramento is doing. If they were in the East I would probably like their chance to make a play at an 8 seed with just a good draft. West is tough though.

I suspect a lot of it is Brandon Williams as opposed to Vlade.

https://twitter.com/BlazersBySagar/status/1007725067847938048?s=19

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Also,
https://twitter.com/1TomByrne/status/1007763978284650496?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Elon believes we are living in a simulation which I guess sounds slightly smarter than saying illusion

Yeah this has been the hot pseudointellectual shtick that's gotten popular in the last few years.

• Locked thread