Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

Also made me wonder-- is Anthony Davis considered an elite defender yet? Is his defense still a touch better than his offense? I really don't get to watch many Pelicans games so I got no idea

Davis' offense is still miles better than his defense. Always has been. His defense became league average, imo, a couple years ago and he should be considered a good-to-great defender now. He can be an elite defender in spurts but has to save energy for the offensive end.

I think the biggest thing for him was learning how to cut off drives, stop falling for pump-fakes so often, and stop relying on length+athleticism to always bail out over-aggressive and/or lazy play.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
If you could take a look at Waters out of LSU and let me know where on the scale of late first, early /late second, undrafted but on the short list of call ups, to "sorry, bro". That would be great.

He's a short pg that is putting up lots of steals, assists, and points on a surprisingly decent LSU team.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

How's Jodie Meeks doing?

Well, he made it to the NBA and has been a rotation for several years (and still is).

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Tremont Waters will have a solid overseas career.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The way you describe him sounds like a more physical, but less feel for the game Anthony Davis.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

kiimo posted:

Unless point guards suddenly start growing 9 inches in a year there will be nobody like Anthony Davis.

I mean, the pg skills for Davis have always been majorly overblown. He started to maybe competently dribble in traffic just this season. His passing has never been notable. He really relies on someone passing him the ball when he gets to the spots he's unstoppable in (which is a lot of spots on the court, granted). He also still doesn't have a reliable 3pt shot.

His defense was really bad for a long time and only started being good the last couple of seasons.

He's still at his best when plays aren't really run for him or when he's being used as a finisher after someone else helps break down the defense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Anyone know how Melvin Frazier, Jr out of Tulane compare to recent junior wings that declared and had success?

https://twitter.com/melvinjrrr/status/978645335915540482

I would love for a local guy to make a positive impact on the league again. I read an article that projects him being take as a late first-rounder.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bagley can shoot, though. That's a pretty huge difference between Jahill and him. A jahill that can do something further than 6 feet from the basket is a way, way way more valuable player.

Almost Kanter valuable!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Carlosologist posted:

I feel extremely bad for Nick

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Feel good for me assholes

lmao

i do :kimchi:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

so who's gonna be left at 5?

Trae Young.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
That sounds real dire.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Good article comparing many of the non-top tier wings, particularly against what Otto Porter and Robert Covington also showed in college: https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/19/ball-handling-passing-defensive-versatility-wings-2018-draft/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't really care about rankings. The value in that article I posted is analysis of what they were able to accomplish in college and how that compares to what current NBA players who these prospects project to be like did in college. It also points out the growth that the now-NBA players had to do to become what they are today.

Forget tier lists and weigh the article on its own merits.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Or have two ball handlers because that is something some very good teams utilize

Best to have as many as you can afford to play, really.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Jaylen Brown is 21 years old, just finished his second year where he jumped from 6+ ppg to 14+ on good efficiency in the regular season and turned it up in the playoffs to average 18 on similar shooting splits all while being a key defensive player in the league's (tied for) best defense. He also led the Celtics in scoring in the ECF so I'm not sure what you mean by he got exposed. You're just hating on him if you think he's topped out at "4th best player on a good team" after improving an exponential amount in his sophomore year haha

I just have concerns with him trying to create. That's really it, though. That statement of saying he will slow down and be unable to guard 2s is true, but that is like two more contracts away. lol

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

Sure, he has holes in his game still, I'm just saying the extremely rapid rate at which he is improving on nearly everything is not a trend that should lead people to think he's like, done improving at the age of 21 after he just literally doubled his production

Aye, I'm not disagreeing with you at all. :)

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

omg

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does it bother anyone else that Shai Gilgeous-Alexander's last name is pronounced Gil-Juss instead of Gil-Gus, like it should be?

I'd pick Gil-Gus, Gil-jus, no thank you.

that's not a strange pronunciation for my area. hell, we have people whose last name ends with "-atre" and it is pronounced "ott".

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Elon believes we are living in a simulation which I guess sounds slightly smarter than saying illusion

I have a weird belief that Earth is one of many experiments the Catholic God has conducted. Angels were a previous one on another world /universe. No telling if there are more elsewhere.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Thanks my friends!

Well, the first hurdle to cross is 100% affiliation. The Blazers are trying to push for Beaverton so they may be on board soon, but the remaining holdouts may holdout a while. The Pelicans decided they couldn't afford it and no one knows what the Nuggets think, except that they don't want the Mexico City team that at least Silver seems committed to and the league isn't gonna go past 30 so they are kind of hosed.

The Pels are actually trying to decide between two towns right now, iirc. They are supposed to be up and running by the season following next. I haven't heard of them dropping the idea entirely.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Ah I thought I read that they decided to postpone it indefinitely. Which I guess isn't dropping entirely.

I looked into it more and you did read that they postponed it for now. But that was from March. I don't remember if I read something more recent than that in regards to the situation and searching twitter is a pain in the rear end so I won't.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

straight up brolic posted:

He’s this drafts Donovan Mitchell

nah, a shorter Jeremy Evans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
lmao Jrue is retweeting everything he can find about his brother right now