Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
How deep is this draft supposed to be? Are the Mavs screwed if they end up with the 6-8th pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If the Sixers won the draft lotto, who do they pick?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

What Doncic is doing is much harder than what American players his age did against college opponents. I can still understand wanting to draft a big man for potential. However, I would want to draft the guy embarrassing grown men. Which reminds me, the two EuroLeague semifinals are the 18th and the Final is the 20th. Might be interesting to watch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/status/996432644492718080
The NBA is hilarious these days.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Mavs please finally win something this season.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

It's sad to see stretch power forward listed in needs for the Mavs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

drat it

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I wish Mavs didn't buy beat Atlanta at the coin flip.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nobody is going to feel bad for the Mavs like Memphis but at least Memphis has Conley and Gasol.

Also, https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/996556781269725184

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Ragnarok the Red posted:

The Mavericks are going to draft Mamba and he's gonna be Shawn Bradley all over again, isn't he?

Knowing almost nothing about the players, I hope they target him or Porter Jr.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Luka should wait for the Mavs to lose the lotto next year before coming over. Would he need to sign a new contract to keep playing there?

edit:
because how the coin flip with ATL and the lotto works, the Mavs have the 3rd pick in the 2nd round.
I hope they use it on Melvin Frazier.

"The 6-foot-6 Frazier led the American Athletic Conference in steals (65), ranked second in field goal percentage (.556), fourth in scoring (15.9), fifth in minutes per game (34.4) and 12th in rebounding (5.6). His 65 steals were the most by a Tulane player in 21 years."
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/2018/05/melvin_frazier_agent.html

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 17, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

He'd need to withdraw from the draft, I don't know what the timeline is to do that though. Otherwise if he is drafted by an NBA team, that team continues to hold his rights until he spends an entire year without making $1 playing basketball then you have to go through the draft again. If you'd consider not playing pro-ball for an entire year a death sentence (I probably would), there is not way to avoid going to whomever drafted you short without that team trading/cutting you.

Googling the timeline has me kind of shocked. June 11 is the NBA Draft Early Entry Entrant Withdrawal Deadline (5 p.m. ET). It's cool that it is that late.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

It's earlier for college players which might be why you were surprised. I think May 30th is the NCAA deadline this year

That makes more sense. I knew the NCAA wouldn't do something that solid for the players.

The draft needs to hurry up and get here. I can't believe I still care about a 2nd round draft pick in a year where the Mavs have the #5 overall.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I had a dream that the Griz traded Mike Conley and Marc Gasol to Cleveland

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels this way about Memphis. If they could find a team to track Chandler Parsons' contract off of them, they could improve quickly.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Wonder if Orlando and Houston are considering a trade.
https://twitter.com/JoshuaBRobbins/status/997253164192575488?s=19

edit:
It won't happen but I think the ideal draft for the Mavs involves Doncic deciding to not come to the NBA for a year, stay into the draft, and fall to Dallas. Then Dallas is terrible again for one more lotto pick.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 18, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Yahoo's saying that:

Phoenix is willing to trade the #1 pick (not a terrible idea if they can address more than one need) https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-notebook-phoenix-suns-open-trading-top-pick-094056682--nba.html

The Lakers might be cleaning house, and nobody is untouchable (probably for the purpose of making runs at the huge names on the UFA list plus a trade for Leonard, I'd assume) https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-lakers-telling-teams-no-player-untouchable-152149291--nba.html

Never underestimate Phoenix's ability to be cheap. The Mavs should try to get that pick in exchange for the #5 + absorbing the salaries of Tyson Chandler and Brandon Knight.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

xbilkis posted:

Jonathan Giovany says Doncic could fall:

I get that there are legit question marks around Doncic but it seems crazy to pick a dude like Bagley over him (assuming that's one of the players Sacramento/Atlanta are considering)

I don't see how he falls past 4.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento's front office has been relatively tight ever since Vlade purged PDA, so I don't think anyone actually has a source close enough to the decision makers.

Any Sacramento leaks are discovered by a reporter hiding in the bushes near where Vlade smokes his cigarettes.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is it weird to not be enthralled by Bagley potentially dropping to us? I think I’d rather have Triple J...

Also, reading lots of smokescreens about Doncic dropping out of the top three. There’s no way he gets past Atlanta, right?

If he gets to 3 it wouldn't surprise me if the Mavs tried to trade up to that pick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Doncic is the best prospect in knowing how to actually play basketball and I don't think its close, maybe JJJ has a case, and I think he's just so good at everything else he can work around athleticism.

I think this is likely.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Watch San Antonio sneak into the top 3, draft Doncic, and help him realize his full potential

I'd be more worried if San Antonio drafted Ayton and he realized his full potential..

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

6'3 ouch.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Paul Zuvella posted:

I still think the Clippers should take Zaire Smith with one of their picks. Just makes a lot of sense to take a high risk/high reward dude in that situation.

The warriors are going to take Grayson Allen with their first rounder, arent they?

First practice he accidentally ruins Curry's ankles with a trip.

Lockback posted:

Joining recent NBA powerhouses Bjelica and Nando de Cola.

I get Doncic is young, but let's not pretend that Euro League MVP means you are ready to be a productive NBA player. I still like him as a prospect but I don't see the "can't miss" side of him that done people do.

Dude could be the modern Larry Bird. I'd pick him but I could also see Ayton panning out. Maybe Ayton's defense is bad but he can improve and will also be getting the best coaching he has ever had. If Ayton's defense doesn't pan out but he is still an offensive monster, a team could try and pair him with "defensive big."

straight up brolic posted:

Well he can shoot, pass, defend, and dribble better than the current and former NBA players he’s playing against at 19 in a hand check league

MourningView posted:

The fact that he did it when he was only 19 is kind of important though since you generally assume players haven't come close to maxing out their potential at that age and he's way younger than the people he's playing against. There has never been anyone who was that good in Europe at that age before.

straight up brolic posted:

The fact that he did it in Eurobasket as well (which is pretty much only NBA/ high level Euroleague guys) is important. Dude was NBA ready a year ago.

and I agree with all of these posts

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

You mean the league where Alexy Shved is the top scorer and Jan Vesely is top ten in minutes and points?

That's why said i think he's a really good prospect but I disagree that you are out thinking yourself if you listen to your scouts who are putting some of the bigs ahead of him. Plus, I honestly am not sure beating out Nick Calathes and Sergio Rodriguez for the MVP is more impressive than putting up numbers in NCAA. I think there is a little glorification happening allot the Euro League right now.

Those guys would dominate college. If Doncic's Euroleague team played in the NCAA, they'd probably go undefeated. Doncic's competition is harder.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I've read a few rumors that Boston is trying to get Memphis or Dallas to trade their pick for Brown. Allegedly Boston really likes Bamba. I don't know if I'd do it as either team. Maybe as Memphis. Conley, Gasol, and Brown would probably put them right back in the playoffs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

I'm sure the Mavs pick could be had by the Bulls for the low price of one fake Finnish Dirk.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

MourningView posted:

This seems like a thing you kinda have to say just in case someone decides to offer you something dumb for it, I don't think it really means anything. Like, he even says it's unlikely.

You never know which team might offer to take back a bad contract, pay cash considerations and 2 years of the electric bill for Talking Stick Arena.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lockback posted:

Doncic is going in the mid lottery, lol

Let's go Mavs!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

WhyteRyce posted:

Oh I got it now, Vlade is scouting for that #4 pick he's going to snag up
https://twitter.com/MyNBAUpdate/status/1007337096221110272

I've be talking with my brother all week that if Luka was at 4, the Mavs should consider a pick/Barnes or preferably Matthews for Parsons swap. Memphis is elevated to playoff level and the Mavs continue their rebuild. Of course at that point, Memphis has to really like Luka and only not want him if they can unload Parsons so it only kind of makes sense

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

Hasn't Barnes been pretty decent for Dallas? Seems like a lot to give up

Barnes has been decent, for whatever reason advanced stats seem to hate him. Dennis Smith Jr is 20, Luka Doncic is 19, and Barnes is 26. If they were to build around Luka and Smith, Barnes potentially could be in decline when the rebuild is finished. (Though maybe not) Having Parsons instead of Barnes also guarantees a better draft pick next season.

Unless they unexpectedly made huge moves trading and in the free agency, I think the Mavs aren't likely to make the playoffs next year. If they aren't likely to make the playoffs, Parsons is more valuable because he won't win you games. Like I said, preferably this could be done with Matthews instead of Barnes. Matthews will certainly be too old to be a part of the finished rebuild Mavs team. Barnes would be better to keep around long term. Trading Barnes for Parsons would be ok though. Maybe mid season they could still trade Wes Matthews for a mid to late first.

All of this would really only make sense if the Mavs believe Doncic is significantly better than other players that might be available.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jun 15, 2018

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

https://twitter.com/fishsports/status/1007407388616511488
This is going to be hilarious if it happens.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

If Parson got traded back to the Mavs, I wonder if he would get booed his first game back. Parsons is the only player I can think of that was booed by every team he played for over the last year or two.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMannixYS/status/1008874878487805954

You're still right but I'm rooting hard for CHAOS DRAFT

Chaos draft is happening because it's looking like I'll be stuck at work/can't look at my phone for the first hour of the draft.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

morestuff posted:

I mean that dude just chose to play in Texas when given the option

Texas is cooler than the South and generally most states. (just my opinion, nobody get angry about that post pls. If you disagree just chuckle and think wrong again spacebump)

I'm pumped for this draft, it's so close.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Metapod posted:

texas loving sucks

You've got it slightly wrong, Oklahoma sucks and that's why Texas doesn't fall into the Gulf of Mexico.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Let's go Mavs.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

My phone is running out of power from looking at trade rumors. Won't be home until 40 minutes into the draft. Expect a chaos draft and disappointment for the Mavs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Phone status 7% power, no charger, and stuck at work for a while. I'm betting that Mavs rumor will be called false as soon as my phone dies.

• Locked thread