Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Are there available searchable rate stats for college ball? I can only ever find totals and per game stats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

b-ref has per 100 possessions stats for ncaa players

They have those stats listed on their player pages, but I don't think it's overall sortable/searchable?

Not seeing a way to come at it through the Finder page -- https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/play-index/psl_finder.cgi

I want to browse over over stuff like what freshman is getting the most steals per 100 and things like that, and it doesn't seem possible with that current setup

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

There's a premise in here that highly-touted prospects lose out on defensive emphasis, and while it is true that a bunch of DPOY candidates have been second-round type dudes, I think there's wayyy too many counterexamples for that to be a useful metric. (for all your Ben Wallaces and M. Gasols there's a Tyson Chandler and a Marcus Smart)

Very interesting though, seems like the beginning of an insight that might need some refining.

Also made me wonder-- is Anthony Davis considered an elite defender yet? Is his defense still a touch better than his offense? I really don't get to watch many Pelicans games so I got no idea

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dejan Bimble posted:

Jayson Taytum shot 30% from three in his Duke 4 role. It's a shot that's team dependent for a lot of players.

But .849 from the line! College free throw shooting does appear predictive of one's ability to shoot since it isolates the player from the surrounding system

This is an additional fact not a correction

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

How far can Porter realistically fall if we consider past top prospects losing out on their one and done seasons? He's not quite the talent Kyrie was coming out but the hype around him coming out of HS makes it seem like he's still solidly behind Bagley Jr in the #2 or 3 spot.

Hey this is an easy one since my powerful mind can sorta kinda almost remember last year. Here's a mock draft from late June 2016:
https://www.si.com/nba/2016/06/29/nba-draft-2017-prospects-harry-giles-josh-jackson-jayson-tatum
it's more or less accurate, except for consensus number one choice Harry Giles who was ultimately taken 20th by the Kings after knee injury (injuries?)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
other big inaccuracy in that mockup, in late 2016 the league got ahold of some higher quality VCRs and adjusted the tracking settings on the scout video of a European game in an empty gym where both coaches were chainsmoking and upon review of the film it turned out Isaiah Hartenstein wasn't black

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

I maintain that Josh Jackson is gonna be amazing in a year or two

From what very little I've seen of him, I kinda agree. Hopefully Phoenix gets their coaching situation figured out. They should pay Chandler to retire and coach.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
why is he calling Block% "block rate"

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
The more I look into using college block% as an indicator for anything in the NBA the less good that argument against Ayton looks. There's a ton of counterexamples, especially if you expand it out past top 10 picks, look further back than 2010, or look at European picks. Number three block-getter in the NBA this season Kevin Durant had a college block% of 3.5. He should use some other metric

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
the first few seasons of defensive coaching for bigs in the NBA is usually about getting them to stop trying to block every shot maybe this is for the best

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I can tell just from looking at him that Allen plays the right way and is a real scrappy defender plus a total gym rat, does anybody know anything else about him? Is there anything significant in the Tatum Jayson/Allen Grayson rhyming Duke connection? Who can say where the road goes, where the day flows, only time?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Name tools guys are nowhere near the lottery, but there are some significant dudes we've had on the radar for a while in DJ Hogg, Matur Maker and Omer Yurtseven

Some lesser guys who might sneak into the second round:
Lagerald Vick
Isaac Bonga
Shai Gilgeous-Alexander
Jaylen Hands
Quinndary Weatherspoon

and some kid named Alize like the liquor

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

R.D. Mangles posted:

he will be exposed against the mighty northwestern wildcat on friday

in case anyone is wondering https://247sports.com/StatGame/Oklahoma-Sooners-Northwestern-State-Demons-319633?refresh=30#OKLA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Metapod posted:

yall realize that northwestern state and northwestern are two different schools

mmm that doesn't seem likely surely one of them would change their name

next you'll tell me texas state university and the university of texas are different schools

then you'll try to tell me the 19th wasn't a friday

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
never ever ever ever ever draft for position. do not do it

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

I feel like if you're a 50-60 win team a lot of these rules change. Late first round teams usually do better drafting for position because its really easy to get frozen out of a good lineup if you're a rookie. I'm not sure what Boston does if they have a top-5 pick, but I think the math works different than the typical awful team up there.

I would normally say Boston should definitely trade the pick, but I thought that last year and they got Tatum who is amazing for them so I have no idea.

I guess I'm being a bit overly-absolute about it, but it really does seem like the teams that draft for position come to regret it almost all the time. If you're comparing draftee value then positional needs should be towards the bottom of the list. Every story of a team missing a star player in the draft seems to be a story of some other team drafting for position instead of potential.

The draft is more about who's going to be good in three years or so, not who's good next year, so by the time your drafted player's ready to compete your positional needs may have changed completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Maybe he thought Smart would be a superstar?

JamesOn Curry never did nothing

• Locked thread