Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Made a TDIClub post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=484527
We'll see what comes of that.

You know what's coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

You know what's coming.

Laundry list of stuff to check. Not a problem, I'll go through it.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 12, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Figured out the issue. I filled the tank with fuel, and it's like a rocket ship! Lit the tires up in 1st through 3rd leaving the fuel station. Must be a cracked pickup or line in the tank.

Success!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd say pulling the pickup sounds hard, but keeping the tank full is easy!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

Actually, VW is smart like Honda. The pickup is easily accessed through a hatch under the rear seat.

That said, I'm not going to do it. The car's going into the shop to have the injectors pop tested and balanced professionally, the pickup/pump pulled and either repaired or replaced, and checked out for other issues. I like doing the troubleshooting and diagnostics, but the dirty work is best left to the professionals. I'd also like to start a relationship with the local TDI mechanic, who has an excellent reputation. Since I'm planning on doing some major work at some point, it'll be good to have someone who knows the car who can do some of the lovely parts (like swapping the clutch).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had to pull the pickup when I installed my in tank lift pump, its pretty easy like Sharky said.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dum dum da dum

:sigh: loving rodents.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

:f5:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Dude, it's freezing cold and I don't really want to spill diesel everywhere. This may wait for Chris.

:edit: gently caress it. Pulled the pickup. It's an odd design, with a spring-loaded feed line. I'll bet whatever seal is in between the fixed metal tube and the sliding plastic part is leaking.

I'll see about buying a new sending unit. Most places don't list it as available, so it may be a used part.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 13, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Jesus gently caress, it's cold.

Anyhow, against my better judgement, I figured out that you can pry open those 2 tabs, and let the spring push the 2 parts apart. The wires, however, are too short. Snip snip, and not across from one another.
There's an O-ring, sorry no before photos, but I was covered in diesel.

The O-ring had a ton of crud on it, but looked intact, with no cracks. I cleaned it up, cleaned out the pickup, and reassembled, soldering the wires and heatshrinking them. Diesel! I'd never do that on a gas car in a million years.

Nothing to do now but drive it and burn off the fuel, and see if it falls apart after I'm below 1/2 tank. Fingers crossed...

If this fixes it, I'll put a new sending unit in. There's one on TDIClub for like $55 shipped, bought in 2012. Far newer than this cock-a-roach.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
New fuel sending unit purchased. I drilled and tapped the spare exhaust manifold for an EGT sensor, but not I'm not sure if I'll use it for EGT or EMP. I may tap another hole for the EGT.

The sensor location isn't perfect, but it doesn't touch the far wall, and should be fine. I was aiming for more centered on the turbo outlet like StealthTDI (http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2475599&postcount=6) , but it's tough drilling on a curved surface. Nonetheless, it took the threads nicely.

Also, insurance is starting on Monday, and I'll go get legit plates for it on Monday or Tuesday. We've had snow the past few days, so I haven't been working on it or been able to run it over to the mechanic for Fluid Film and a checkout.

List of To do's:
Immediate
Swap to winter wheels/tires
Fluid Film undercarriage
Replace fuel sending unit, hopefully that takes care of the air issue.
Turn the fuel down a bit, it leaves a bit more smoke than I'd like.
Rebuild shifter completely. It's got 2" of side-side slop in gear, and an inch front-back slop. New bushings, new shift bracket on the tranny, and probably new bushings in the cable ends.
Fix interior lights (rear overhead lights and trunk light non-op)
New driver's door switch (current switch non-op, which means the car doesn't play the Mexican hat dance if I leave the lights on and open the door)
New Driver's seat, or swap bottoms with the passenger's seat.
New trim piece under passenger's seat, current one is broken and flops around.
Fix/replace sticking passenger's side door handle (or fix the vacuum lock actuator)

Soon
Replace speakers, especially rears which are super weak.
Swap exhaust manifold to drilled/tapped one. Install EGT probe so the readings mean something.
Install my ScanGauge somewhere visible, probably down in front of the cupholders. Combo of 3D Printed/Kydex thermoform parts, more than likely.
Clutch- South Bend Daily kit
Smoked sidemarkers
Install fog lights and wire Euroswitch for both forward fog and rear fog operation
New tires/wheels. The current Kosei's are fine, but the tires are nothing great, and low on tread. Unsure on wheel type, any suggestions? Probably looking for something dark, and suitable late '90s/early '00s. I've got snowflakes, but they're only 14's, I'm thinking 15 or 16 would look better.
New seats/interior bits. The upholstery is pretty worn, with some paint on the rear seats. I'd love to find a K2 or Trek edition in the JY and strip the entire interior, but those days are long past.

Possible
Relocate radio to lower console, install gauges in radio spot.
OR Build dual gauge pod into upper corners of cluster surround. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4922015-DIY-ABS-Pipe-Gauge-Pods
OR find another spot for gauges... I'm not a fan of the center clamshell location because it blocks all the warning lights
MK3.5 Cabrio dash/wheel OR at least upper glovebox in place of airbag
Smoked E-Codes

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I'm surprised you don't like the speakers I mean they aren't great but for stock I thought they weren't too bad. Heads up the left rear speaker wiring is shorted somewhere. I de-pinned the harness from that one because it would short out the amp. It's not the speaker itself because it does it with it disconnected.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea one more thing, putting ecodes in will be a pain. The brackets they sell don't even come close to making them fit the NA radiator support. You will have to do some cutting and grinding. I tried on my GTI and ended up just changing it to the euro radiator support since it wasn't going to be a clean install. And if you do that you'll have to disconnect the a.c. and have to replace the drier and refill it. After going through all of that I wouldn't do it again although it did look totally awesome with the smoked ecodes and euro bumper.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shy boy from chess club posted:

I'm surprised you don't like the speakers I mean they aren't great but for stock I thought they weren't too bad. Heads up the left rear speaker wiring is shorted somewhere. I de-pinned the harness from that one because it would short out the amp. It's not the speaker itself because it does it with it disconnected.

That'd explain the lack of rear left speaker. I tired plugging in the plugs by the speaker, but it didn't seem to help. They're fine, but a little more bass would be nice.

Oh, I know all about hacking in ECodes. If I did it, it's be with a full Euro bumper support swap.

I swapped the grille for a stock one today and put about 100 miles on the car. It still hauls rear end, and I'm closing in on half a tank of fuel, so hopefully the sending unit fix worked. I visited a bunch of VW friends and they were impressed with the condition and power that the car has, which made me really happy. Then the passenger side door latch failed and my buddy was stuck inside until he climbed over the center console. LOL, VWs.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Plates, registration, and title acquired! I just need an inspection and I'll be legal.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Airbag light still good? If they don't notice the cat you should be golden. That's so weird you get plates and everything before inspection. Back when we had it in CT cars would have to pass inspection before you got plates and registration.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Stupid double post

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Airbag light still good? If they don't notice the cat you should be golden. That's so weird you get plates and everything before inspection. Back when we had it in CT cars would have to pass inspection before you got plates and registration.

Yup, airbag light is still good. Yeah, MA is weird.

What's the consensus on Mini Copper 7 hole phone dial wheels? 15", and reasonably cheap. I'd like 16s, but 15 is cheaper for tires.

: Edit: too narrow, only 15x5.5. I'm thinking 15x6.5 or 16x7 now.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 19, 2017

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Dropped the car with the mechanic for a new power steering line and to have it Fluid Film'd. He's going to check things over, and let me know if there are other things that need to be addressed. I need to provide him with a list of stuff to do, and we'll pick and choose as I have money, and he has availability. The clutch is climbing the list, but I'm hoping to limp through the winter with it as-is.

Good news, I did a bunch more driving, and I'm now at 1/2 tank on the nose, and it still pulls like mad. Of course, the new sending unit arrived today, and I don't think I need it. Into a labeled box it goes, as it's NLA from VW.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So happy you are doing the fluid film. Did you do anything with that crushed pinch weld on the driver side? I had planned on doing rust converter and some oil based enamel before it got any worse.

Did you bring it to Shnell? Best shop in town and if there is anything important you or I have overlooked he will find it. I'm so glad that car is in good hands. A clean MK3 TDI is hard to come by anymore.

Fuel expense wise I regret selling it now. Dave's last tank was 16.7mpg, it's so unbelievably bad on gas like drat.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
^^^ Posted as you were typing...It's at Schnell right now

Current list for the mechanic:
Fluid Film, straighten pinch welds while it's on the lift, POR15 any rust prior to FF'ing the chassis
Power Steering leak/line
Pass. front door handle
Engine cover for inspection
Clean/check injector 3 for leaks, and if found, pull and re-seal
Rebuild shifter, or swap to an 02J shift setup from a MK4, install a short shift kit in either case
Check IQ and adjust to reduce smoke under load if feasible
Adjust exhaust over rear beam. With 2 people in the back, it vibrates at idle.
If he's got a good rain tray set, swap that in for my cracked one.

Getting quotes on:
1. New SouthBend Daily clutch kit install
2. Rear main seal install, axle flange seal install
3. Pull the existing exhaust manifold and swap with my spare unit with a tapped hole for a functional EGT sensor.
4. Pull all 4 injectors and getting them pop tested/flow tested.

5. The F-it upgrade: GT2052, manifold adapter, downpipe mods, and an 11mm pump. This may require new boost piping, and may necessitate a larger IC, potentially a FMIC. We'll see about that one.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Heard from the mechanic today. $900 in work including a bunch of work on the floors which had more rust than expected under the undercoat, and not including the shifter rebuild. New alternator pulley clutch, new rain tray, fixed the exhaust, fixed the power steering leak, and fully fluid filmed the undercarriage. I'll tackle the shifter myself. I should have it back tomorrow night.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm heading out today or tomorrow to buy a set of MK4 Wolfsburg seats. I don't know about the rears, but the fronts can be retrofitted. $100...

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea he sent me the pictures of the floor pans had no idea there was that much. He said it looked like someone drove over something off road. There wasn't holes were there, just surface rust?

Where did you find the stuff to rebuild the shifter? B&M used to make a short shifter for those and I had it and it was great but NLA. Kept checking ebay but no dice. If you can find it it's worth it.

The MK4 seats will be far superior. Those seats were not good for long trips. Too flat like a Honda. Made my rear end numb after an hour or so.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I haven't rebuilt the shifter, he suggested swapping to an o2j shift tower and cables. That's my plan for the winter, sourcing one from a jy or the vortex.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Oh yea that's what I'm doing to mine. I got the tower, cables and shifter off tdiclub for 200 bucks. They come up every once in a while for around that if you don't want to mess with pulling the cables which can be kind of a pain in the dick. The box and tower are easy.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
It's amusing that he sent you the pictures, but not me. He turned down the fuel a bit too, should stretch the clutch a bit longer.

I'll probably pull one from the JY if I can't get one cheap.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Yea I kept meaning to turn the fuel down, I had the IQ way up and it was causing some slow down shudder so that should have gone away too. After getting the tune initially I never really got on it anymore so the clutch wouldnt slip anyway.

Is it outside? How is it starting in this weather? It always started on like one crank so I imagine it should be good. One thing I meant to mention is that huge fuse on the driver side firewall with the plastic cover? Thats the one for the glow plugs. If you think of it take that out and clean up the connections, it can melt if there is a lot of resistance there. It was on my list but it was never cold enough to think of it when I had it.

Here are the pictures he sent me:

I only saw them on my phone before but yea looks like a bunch of surface rust. I feel wicked bad, I didnt know any of that was there but the only time I was under was putting the exhaust on and I was sweaty and mad that it wasnt fitting and my lack of having a lift.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Yea I kept meaning to turn the fuel down, I had the IQ way up and it was causing some slow down shudder so that should have gone away too. After getting the tune initially I never really got on it anymore so the clutch wouldnt slip anyway.

Is it outside? How is it starting in this weather? It always started on like one crank so I imagine it should be good. One thing I meant to mention is that huge fuse on the driver side firewall with the plastic cover? Thats the one for the glow plugs. If you think of it take that out and clean up the connections, it can melt if there is a lot of resistance there. It was on my list but it was never cold enough to think of it when I had it.

Here are the pictures he sent me:

I only saw them on my phone before but yea looks like a bunch of surface rust. I feel wicked bad, I didnt know any of that was there but the only time I was under was putting the exhaust on and I was sweaty and mad that it wasnt fitting and my lack of having a lift.

Yup, it's outside. It fired up fine today at 10°F. Just let the glow plugs run until the light goes off, crank it over. The fuel being turned down helps with the shudder, but it'll still spin the clutch in 5th.

The shift linkage sucks, I couldn't get 5th today until things warmed up. 02J shifter needs to happen ASAP.

I picked up the MK4 Wolfsburg seats today. The driver's side isn't great, the hip bolster is worn, but the thigh bolster is collapsed. Still, $100. The guy I got them from is a fellow TDI dude too. I'll start working out how I want to modify them to fit, and what I want to do with the driver's side seat. Also need to figure out if I want to hack my current seats and weld to the mk4 seat, or hack my seat rails and weld on the car.

He also adjusted the exhaust so it doesn't hit the rear beam. It only hit with a couple people in the back. He fixed a couple exhaust leaks too, so it's quieter and you smell less exhaust. However, it now stinks of FluidFilm. That's not even the worst of the rust, the rear floor corner had perforations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I stripped the driver's side Wolfsburg seat tonight, the foam was hosed on the thigh bolster. I removed the airbag and seat back foam as well. I'm gonna try to source some foam from another seat to do the repairs. Anyone want to see the progress/laugh at me as I try?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

sharkytm posted:

Anyone want to see the progress/laugh at me as I try?

Yep :justpost:. Interior stuff is so often glossed over since it isn't as easy as "unbolt part, bolt on new part."

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Larrymer posted:

Yep :justpost:. Interior stuff is so often glossed over since it isn't as easy as "unbolt part, bolt on new part."

not empty quoting.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Alright. I'll document the best I can. Coming up on 500 miles on the current tank of fuel, still got 1/4 left. No complaints there.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Background posts on foam repair:
http://crxcommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=29734
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/uk-ireland-s2000-community-25/repairing-driver-s-seat-bolster-850923/
https://www.scribd.com/document/31093520/Acura-DA-Seat-Foam-Repair1 <- I like his sleeve over the repaired foam, which should help keep it's shape. I may also add some support material on the outboard side of the thigh bolsters to help them retain their shape with my fat legs.
http://forum.mazda6club.com/interior-modifications/212066-repairing-broken-seat-bolster.html

Imgur is broken currently, but I've got some pictures to upload at some point

Pictures of last night's progress, done while watching Shameless with my wife, in the living room, in front of a nice warm wood stove... the good life.

Other seat, but same view.

Ruined base foam

Damaged upper foam

Damaged upper cover

Airbag hole in upper

Removed airbag module

Bare seat MK4 frame

Remove base trim, remove height lever (2 screws under covers), remove angle knob (tabs inside knob, use angled pick to open them up), Seat lower is only retained by the strip around the base, normally tucked into the stop the trim goes into. Upper seat is retained with mating plastic strips at the bottom. There are battens inside each cover that secure them to the frame and springs, you just have to work them off, and undo the springs with a curved pick. The covers come off relatively easily, just be careful of tearing the foam more than it's already torn. Part numbers confirm that the seat bottom foam is the same between L&R. Only differences are the side airbag cutouts on the seatback. The airbag patch on the seats is just sewn, and I'll try to seam-rip it off. Planning on swapping both parts side to side, so the repairs will be toward the center of the car, and should see less abuse. The current plan is to either find a junk seat from a parts car and harvest foam from it, or butcher one of the MK3 rears for foam.

I then modified the wheels and removed the wheelie bars from the MK4 passenger's seat, plus cut down the teardrop bolt for the seatbelt, which makes it fit into the MK3 tracks. The slide mechanism is the next huge hurdle. Do I cut the MK3 mount off and weld in a MK4 mount, make my own bracket and weld/bolt that in, or do I make an adapter plate like golf>jetta did on the Vortex?
Seen here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7115446-MK4-Seats-in-a-MK3/page2

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 31, 2017

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:
I read the thread and wasn't sure if you are still running the EGR blockoff or not, but if you are running an EGR on these cars make sure it isn't too full of carbon. There's a cleaning procedure for them that you can do to get the carbon build up out of it. They can run a lot worse and a dirty EGR can cause intermittent problems on them too.

Also, if you still have EG civic parts to get rid of I might be interested in buying some of them for my hatch. Let me know if you are.

Look forward to seeing this project, I almost bought a diesel golf of the same era.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The EGR is long gone. If I have to put it on for inspection, I will. I've got the parts, but never plan on reinstalling.

I've got some Civic parts, shoot me an email; username at Gmail.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Pictures up. It's loving freezing here, which make spraying adhesive for the seats kind of a non-starter. I'm warming up the garage so I can start work there. I'm using stretchy fabric over the existing foam to help hold it together where it's not split, and adding foam and then covering it where it is split.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Wouldn't it be the cleanest to weld the MK3 slider to the MK4? Gonna check out the vortex link right now.

Yea it's stupid cold and I had to drive to NJ via NYC yesterday in the snow and new years traffic. What a nightmare. Is it spring yet?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Looks like you'd want to do "version 4" from that link since you are tall. That was the lowest version they were saying. I know I was having trouble with my head hitting the roof on the passenger side with the stock seats so you are gonna want to go as low as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
The MK3 Slider sucks, the MK4 is much nicer. I've got a plan. I'm going to move the bracket back and bolt it below the mk3 slider. It'll be a bunch of custom metal work and it may not work, but it's worth a shot.

I'll put up pictures, but the wife and I repaired the really bad seat bottom foam today and got it installed on the frame. Upper foam is next, I should have a complete passengers seat by tonight.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 1, 2018