Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Yay, Mid-October update.

Nothing to report. Still mired in work, not that I'm complaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
My fit was in for tires and the truck for an oil change and remote start install, so I drove the Jetta. Ran a couple errands, came home, went to leave again and blew the coolant flange that bolts to the front of the motor. Coolant everywhere, but I limped it home. New parts will be here Sunday.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That car hates to keep coolant inside it. The day before I drove it to Braintree for the gtg and tune I was doing a pre road trip poking around under the hood and the upper radiator hose just came apart in my hand. Excellent timing rather than doing it on 495 somewhere, though.

I think someone makes a metal replacement for that outlet.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I'm thankful for the spring-clamp pliers I got last Christmas from my FiL. They were a godsend for this job.

Coolant neck replaced, coolant refilled, took it for a spin. Annoyed the wealthy wasps who were strolling by the waterfront with a nice long 2nd gear pull. Good Day!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I kinda regret selling that, I really miss it. The torque is just incredible and fun. So glad it went to the best home it could have though.

However, it did help me cross off almost everything on the list I need for the dieselfication of the Rocco.

Still thinking about those wheels you showed me?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Yeah, I'm on the fence. They're kinda heavy and will need refinishing.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
New wheel options... Currently negotiating. Also snagged a set of mk3 k2 seats locally.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Another near month, and no real update. I did, however, sign a lease on 2300sqft of warehouse for my business, and moved the Jetta inside for the winter. If things ever slow down, I'll be able to work on it somewhere warm, dry, and well-lit. So there's that.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

sharkytm posted:

Another near month, and no real update. I did, however, sign a lease on 2300sqft of warehouse for my business, and moved the Jetta inside for the winter. If things ever slow down, I'll be able to work on it somewhere warm, dry, and well-lit. So there's that.

Another couple months... The Jetta currently sits covered in dust in the corner of my new shop. Got to get the k2 seats installed soon, hope to actually drive it this summer a bit.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

You got K2 seats? Nice! I just recently got my first can of fluid film and I remember you saying how much it stunk burning off the exhaust and now I know how bad that must have been. That stuff reeks but worth it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

shy boy from chess club posted:

You got K2 seats? Nice! I just recently got my first can of fluid film and I remember you saying how much it stunk burning off the exhaust and now I know how bad that must have been. That stuff reeks but worth it.

Yeah, a local guy had them in his attic. And yes, fluid film smells like wet sheep.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, and if anyone other than shy boy reads this thread, there's some news coming... Waiting for things to finalize.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Oh yeah, and if anyone other than shy boy reads this thread, there's some news coming... Waiting for things to finalize.

You snagged a Touareg with the V-10 TDI?

Otherwise, it’s not big news. :colbert:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I’m reading too. Not as gnarly as the Civic, but I can appreciate a well-loved VW. Neighbor has 2-door with a blown head gasket...

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, a local guy had them in his attic. And yes, fluid film smells like wet sheep.

It's lanolin based. What else would it smell like?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Alarbus posted:

It's lanolin based. What else would it smell like?
I worked in the marine industry, I've used literally drums of the stuff. I actually like the smell quite a bit, it's much better than CRC or weasel piss (WD40).

Ripoff posted:

You snagged a Touareg with the V-10 TDI?

Otherwise, it’s not big news. :colbert:

What's up, old friend?
It's not Diesel-specific. Sorry. And I might be a masochist, but not V10 TDI-level yet.

nitsuga posted:

I’m reading too. Not as gnarly as the Civic, but I can appreciate a well-loved VW. Neighbor has 2-door with a blown head gasket...

2-door what? Civic? Or a Golf?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I am eagerly anticipating updates.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

sharkytm posted:

I worked in the marine industry, I've used literally drums of the stuff. I actually like the smell quite a bit, it's much better than CRC or weasel piss (WD40).

What's up, old friend?
It's not Diesel-specific. Sorry. And I might be a masochist, but not V10 TDI-level yet.

2-door what? Civic? Or a Golf?

2-door Golf. It's white and it's got a stick too. You basically have to have the block decked though, don't you?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Tell us! We wanna know!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Presented without comment
http://imgur.com/a/yrsu1rX

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Awww yea, that's the stuff.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So jealous. In a good way.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

IOwnCalculus posted:

So jealous. In a good way.

Thanks. I've worked my rear end off for a decade to get into this situation. I hope it works out. The new shop has almost doubled my monthly expenses for my business, but it's going to give me some much-needed distance between work and home, allow me to expand, and to take on some bigger projects that I've been turning down until now.

Just for the record, it's 2300sqft, 200A 3-phase, two 12x14 bay doors, has a legit semi trailer-height loading dock, and a 10x18 office, plus a decent bathroom. I paid to add the clean room in the back, which is 12'6"x20', with a load-bearing ceiling for a mezzanine. The pallet racking was already installed. I've leased a Nissan 5k forklift with a triple-stage mast. Mini split heat/AC in the clean room, big gas Modine unit heater and a 2-ton AC System for the bay, plus baseboard heat in the office/bathroom. $2200/month on a 36-month gross lease. Buildout was another $20k. Utilities are about $350/month in the winter, we'll see about the summer.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Holy poo poo my envy knows no bounds. :stare: That’s awesome.

sharkytm posted:

Just for the record, it's 2300sqft, 200A 3-phase, two 12x14 bay doors, has a legit semi trailer-height loading dock, and a 10x18 office, plus a decent bathroom. I paid to add the clean room in the back, which is 12'6"x20', with a load-bearing ceiling for a mezzanine. The pallet racking was already installed.

So yeah, I’d probably end up putting a very comfy cot in said office and would be spending weekends wrenching on something fun, disrupting my interpersonal relationships in the process but having so much fun doing so!

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Ripoff posted:

Holy poo poo my envy knows no bounds. :stare: That’s awesome.

Come on out some time. I've got a guest room at the house.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Congrats, sharky. Looks like a promising start to a new chapter.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Wow man, that shop looks awesome. I thought you worked on boats, guess not anymore?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Wow man, that shop looks awesome. I thought you worked on boats, guess not anymore?
Thanks.
I still moonlight for both my former employers, although I'm avoiding the boats whenever possible due to insurance reasons. I did a 3-week research cruise out of Hawaii in 2017, and usually do a week in NJ doing survey work. I still work on my wife's boat, but that's more of a labor of love.

Previous employers boat:

They were insulating and paneling the cabin, and I did some repairs and electronics work.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I don't post much in general anymore but I'm always happy to see new posts in here. That shop is awesome

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

sharkytm posted:

Thanks.
I still moonlight for both my former employers, although I'm avoiding the boats whenever possible due to insurance reasons. I did a 3-week research cruise out of Hawaii in 2017, and usually do a week in NJ doing survey work. I still work on my wife's boat, but that's more of a labor of love.

Insurance reasons....Did you get injured? :ohdear:

So what are you doing out of the shop then?.....Sorry for all the questions just curious, if you don't want to answer its cool :)

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Insurance reasons....Did you get injured? :ohdear:

So what are you doing out of the shop then?.....Sorry for all the questions just curious, if you don't want to answer its cool :)

Nope, not injured. It's very nearly impossible for a single member LLC to get longshoreman's insurance without a huge increase in workers comp premiums, like 5x what I'm paying now. It's complicated, but when the boat is tied to a dock, I need longshoreman's coverage to go between the dock and boat or to be aboard. Once lines are dropped, I'm covered under the vessel's Jones Act coverage. If there was ever an incident on the dock,, I'd be pretty well screwed.

I run a company that builds deep sea cameras and lights, as well as some other oceanographic products. Temperature loggers, lasers, high power subsea switches, oil-filled junction boxes, etc. Some of my gear has been on the Alvin, on Jason, the D2, and various other vehicles/subs. I've been on my own since mid-2014.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

New shop looks great, congrats dude! The work you do looks like so much fun. That rules you have stuff on Alvin. I was way into the Titanic as a kid, way before the movie, haha, so that's extremely impressive to me. I don't think you told me about that previously. That's cool as hell.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
I have a pallet of old film cameras, several of which were on the original Titanic expedition as the camera sled ANGUS. My strobe lights are a direct descendant of the ones used for Titanic. Another strobe I build was used to photograph the Air France 447 debris. It's crazy. It's a very small community and market, so everyone knows everyone else. I'm really thankful that I've been involved, and there's some great stuff coming up.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Shop looks great, Sharky. Glad to see you're doing well.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

sharkytm posted:

I have a pallet of old film cameras, several of which were on the original Titanic expedition as the camera sled ANGUS. My strobe lights are a direct descendant of the ones used for Titanic. Another strobe I build was used to photograph the Air France 447 debris. It's crazy. It's a very small community and market, so everyone knows everyone else. I'm really thankful that I've been involved, and there's some great stuff coming up.

Amazing. That is so awesome

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I keep forgetting you did badass submarine camera stuff

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Awesome new shop, awesome career.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
Bumping this to keep it alive. Situation normal, busy as hell.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Your shop is so very perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib
More updates... Spent a couple of weeks working on the lab, and a couple of days on the shop. Cleaned a lot of stuff up, organized a TON, and built a couple of new things.
Moved the Bridgeport to be angled in the machine space, after spending a few days cleaning it up, replacing all the oil meters, and adjusting the gibs:

Network rack, semi wired. I just signed a 2-yr Comcast Business agreement for internet... $20 more than I pay at home (1km away) with half the speed. What a racket.

The lab, as it stands now.

New workbench made from the pallet racking.

Added another 1/2" plywood, and hardboard top yesterday, and need to mount a big vise on one side, as well as figure out how to make a multi-tool mount for:
Arbor Press (Dake #1)
PCB/Sheet metal shear
Portaband on SWAG table
Bench Grinder

I'm also planning a couple of rolling steel-topped tables, one of which should turn into a decent welding bench.

Oh yeah, and working on my wife's boat: