Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Med kits are a really good idea, and in my mind a light is a similar thing. You're carrying it to reduce dangers not to increase your ability to handle threats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Exit Strategy posted:

Yep. Don't need the transplant yet, ICD and medication have it under control enough for basic activity.

Good Hope it keeps on tickin for a long time to come

xthetenth posted:

Med kits are a really good idea, and in my mind a light is a similar thing. You're carrying it to reduce dangers not to increase your ability to handle threats.

I would never carry a medical kit on my person (thats way too much poo poo in my pockets) but I do carry an M-FAK. on my backpack and I have a similar but bigger self-assembled it in my car.

As a bystander with little to no formal medical training, there are 3 emergencies that I would recommend you be prepared for

1. Heart attacks: Learn CPR, carry a CPR facemask, gloves and 325mg/4x 81mg chewable baby aspirin tablets. Immediate aspirin administration has been shown to be more effective in improving outcomes in heart attack patients than tPA.) Cardiovascular disease is the #1 cause of death in the world and kills far more people in the US than gunshots. If you own a small business and/or can afford it, an AED can be lifesaving if someone arrests with a shockable rhythm, but I would't go out and buy one unless you have lots of extra cash or can write it off on your taxes or something. They are hella expensive (~$1-1.5k).

If you are packing a tourniquet but don't know basic CPR, you need seriously ask yourself why you are carrying medical supplies to begin with.

2. Massive bleeding/hemostasis: CAT or SOFT-T Tourniquet, israeli bandages, and 4x4 gauze for packing. QuikClot impregnated bandages are nice but the evidence out there is not sufficient to suggest that they are much of an improvement over regular gauze for life threatening hemorrhage. The M-FAK I linked is a good hemorrhage kit, but really all you need is the TQ and packing. .

3. Small burns/booboos/nausea/ headache/diarrhea/etc. A kit like this.[url]https://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue-essentials-wfa-kit/ These aren't sexy or life threatening, but they are infinitely more common than the above two scenarios and can definitely ruin your day.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 16, 2017

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Would it be out of place to ask why people carry?

I have a CCW, but doubt I'll ever carry. In my state in order to own a handgun you need a CCW. I got it to do target shooting.

Carry for job/crime risk/wild boar?

There was a case that some people in my office were involved in where a guy was held up outside his car, gave up his wallet but was then told to hand over his keys. He did, then tried to open the back door to get his 2 year old out and was shot and killed. That's why I carry

On the issue of lights I don't keep a light on the gun by my bed, instead I keep a flashlight in the same drawer and never take it out. I want a reliable source of light that doesn't involve me muzzle sweeping my family or responding officers.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

B-Rock452 posted:

There was a case that some people in my office were involved in where a guy was held up outside his car, gave up his wallet but was then told to hand over his keys. He did, then tried to open the back door to get his 2 year old out and was shot and killed. That's why I carry

On the issue of lights I don't keep a light on the gun by my bed, instead I keep a flashlight in the same drawer and never take it out. I want a reliable source of light that doesn't involve me muzzle sweeping my family or responding officers.

The best use of a weaponlight is indirect illumination of the target (i.e. activating the light while it is pointed at the floor ). You should only use the weaponlight to directly illuminate the target once you've made the decision to shoot. I keep a WML on my pistol when it's on my nightstand, where it sits next to a handheld light that I use for going to the bathroom etc.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

Gun: CZ-75 P-01

Caliber: 9x19mm Parabellum

Trigger Type: DA/SA

Modified from stock? Oh, yes.

If so, how? Meprolight night sights, Wolff extra-power spring kit, VZ Tactical Diamonds grips, and a Streamlight TLR-1. Custom holster built from an Old Faithful kit back when they sold the roll-your-own holster kit.

Why? The gun itself is just because I love the CZ design. The ergonomics and look of the thing are just beautiful to me in some undefinable way. I bought it for $250 twelve years ago from a guy who literally could not get this ugly green pistol off his shelves for love nor money. 9mm is perfectly fine for shooting anything I'd ever practically want to shoot with a pistol, and I shoot better with this gun than I do with any of the other compact or subcompact pistols I own, even the striker-fired guns that are 'more consistent'.

Extra power springs are because the few things that DO work properly on my body are my arms, and the extra extraction, ejection, and primer-striking capability mean I never have any problems with ammunition. I've also never punctured a primer, but I tend to shoot factory ammo only.

The VZ grips are because after carrying and practicing with the gun for eight years all the texture had worn off the factory rubber grips. I like 'em, though I went with the more aggressive pattern when I bought an SP-01.

The flashlight? That one kind of goes with my custom holster. When I molded the Kydex, I did so with the light installed and nothing to make a light tunnel. In short, the Kydex is molded so that the light, when inserted into the holster, gets locked in the "off" position. On draw, the switch is forced through the channel for the finger guard, which toggles the light on. The flexible leather backing, though, means that I can twist the butt of the gun about fifteen degrees towards me and draw cleanly, without enabling the light. I practice both draw strokes when at the range, and can pick light-on or light-off draw on command. Like Kommie said, it's handy to have an indirect illuminator. You can, if needed, also directly illuminate anything that needs lit up, then light it up.

All in all, it's a handy all-conditions weapon system. With appropriate belt support, the Old Faithful kit holster just... disappears, to both my feel and others' sight.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'm also in the "Why not" camp. I travel fairly frequently between places with potentially rear end in a top hat wildlife to places with potentially rear end in a top hat humans. A gun in my pocket is that thing that might give me a shot at staying alive when both my running shoes and fists have failed.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Tell your wife to answer her phone

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I would like to clarify that I have no problem with people carrying, I've just not experienced anything in my lived experience that makes me want to carry.

I have a very good friend who carries, and the reason he does makes perfect sense.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I would like to clarify that I have no problem with people carrying, I've just not experienced anything in my lived experience that makes me want to carry.

I have a very good friend who carries, and the reason he does makes perfect sense.

It's a totally reasonable question. It's equipping yourself to handle rare situations with a tool that has the potential to make things worse if you aren't good with it, and poses other dangers in other situations if you aren't careful. I don't carry myself. I don't have the training, practice or even knowledge to hit the point where I think I've satisfied my responsibility to myself and others. If I decide to in the future, the day I have kids is the day I seriously consider all of my habits so as to minimize the risks to them and if I can't satisfactorily do that I stop.

Drav
Jul 23, 2002

We've come a long way since that day, and we will never look back at the faded silhouette.

The Rat posted:

Yeah I remember a few years ago in Boulder, some homeowner shot what he thought was a home invader, but was actually some drunk college girl who went into the wrong house.

I think she lived, but it's still not a situation I want to be in.

Oh I agree with this. While my carry gun doesn't have a light, every HD gun does (AR's and pistol).

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

I'm in the "why not?" camp. My wife bought me a gift certificate for ElectronicCCW for christmas a couple years ago becasue I was clearing out a bunch of old photography and computer equipment via Craigslist and it made her nervous. She then got pissed when she found out I was carrying around the kids, until I told her that I've been carrying 24/7 and had a safe under the bed since the day I got my permit, and neither she or the kids had found out. She still didn't like me carrying around the house, but she never knows.

Then we had a couple incidents with door-to-door people putting their foot in the door when she tried to close it, and people wandering through the woods behind the house, and she eased up on me about it AND agreed to keep a gun in the house for herself when I'm not there.

Then earlier this year we had a guy two doors up from us get beat to death with a golf club at 1am in the middle of the week in a sex-for-meth deal gone bad (first murder in the township in over 15 years), and now she's getting a Dene Adams corset holster and a gift certificate for a CCW class for Christmas.

Funny story, we were out at Skyline Chili for dinner last night and the kids were roughhousing in the checkout line, and my daughter bonked her head on my gun through my shirt. She starting crying that "I hit daddy's bone with my head", and I had to remind my wife on the way out the car of what she actually hit her head on, and she laughed about it. Two years ago it would have been the start of an argument.

Re: lights on HD guns. It's been almost 20 years, but I was trained in the Harries hold for no/low light scenarios, since rails on duty guns weren't really a thing yet. I still just carry a separate light on the few "bump in the night" checks I've had to do. Gives me the ability to shine the light on something without having to muzzle sweep it at the same time.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 19, 2017

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

CommanderApaul posted:

I'm in the "why not?" camp. My wife bought me a gift certificate for ElectronicCCW for christmas a couple years ago becasue I was clearing out a bunch of old photography and computer equipment via Craigslist and it made her nervous. She then got pissed when she found out I was carrying around the kids, until I told her that I've been carrying 24/7 and had a safe under the bed since the day I got my permit, and neither she or the kids had found out. She still didn't like me carrying around the house, but she never knows.

Then we had a couple incidents with door-to-door people putting their foot in the door when she tried to close it, and people wandering through the woods behind the house, and she eased up on me about it AND agreed to keep a gun in the house for herself when I'm not there.

Then earlier this year we had a guy two doors up from us get beat to death with a golf club at 1am in the middle of the week in a sex-for-meth deal gone bad (first murder in the township in over 15 years), and now she's getting a Dene Adams corset holster and a gift certificate for a CCW class for Christmas.

Funny story, we were out at Skyline Chili for dinner last night and the kids were roughhousing in the checkout line, and my daughter bonked her head on my gun through my shirt. She starting crying that "I hit daddy's bone with my head", and I had to remind my wife on the way out the car of what she actually hit her head on, and she laughed about it. Two years ago it would have been the start of an argument.

Re: lights on HD guns. It's been almost 20 years, but I was trained in the Harries hold for no/low light scenarios, since rails on duty guns weren't really a thing yet. I still just carry a separate light on the few "bump in the night" checks I've had to do. Gives me the ability to shine the light on something without having to muzzle sweep it at the same time.

About a year ago when I was living with my then-girlfriend there was a multiple victim shooting at a party held exactly 2 floors below our apartment. I pulled up, parked and went inside at 10:30; the shooting was at approximately 10:45. I heard the shots while I was taking a piss but didn't recognize them as gunshots (definitely didn't sound like what I am used to - sounded kinda like someone hitting a flagpole with a baseball bat).

Also having worked for 2 years in the emergency dept. of the biggest/busiest level 1 trauma center in town, I've seen enough murdered and assaulted people to know it isn't just in "bad neighborhoods" that people get hurt. Last guy whose lacerations I sutured was a normal guy driving home from dinner with his family ... crazy dude walked in front of his car and knifed him up when he got out to ask him to move. My patient managed to knock the dude out but he got 45 sutures in the process. This was downtown at approx. 9pm.

My good friend who lives closeby told me the other day that her husband got mugged at gunpoint while walking into his house after a trip to the bank (probably where they followed him from...). This is in a nice part of town, happened at 10am.

Kommienzuspadt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 19, 2017

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Kommienzuspadt posted:

My good friend who lives closeby told me the other day that her husband got mugged at gunpoint while walking into his house after a trip to the bank (probably where they followed him from...). This is in a nice part of town, happened at 10am.

This is a pretty big thing in Houston. Crooks will hang out by banks or ATM's and follow people that get cash and either break into their car or rob them. Something to be on the look out for.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

About a year ago when I was living with my then-girlfriend there was a multiple victim shooting at a party held exactly 2 floors below our apartment. I pulled up, parked and went inside at 10:30; the shooting was at approximately 10:45. I heard the shots while I was taking a piss but didn't recognize them as gunshots (definitely didn't sound like what I am used to - sounded kinda like someone hitting a flagpole with a baseball bat).

Also having worked for 2 years in the emergency dept. of the biggest/busiest level 1 trauma center in town, I've seen enough murdered and assaulted people to know it isn't just in "bad neighborhoods" that people get hurt. Last guy whose lacerations I sutured was a normal guy driving home from dinner with his family ... crazy dude walked in front of his car and knifed him up when he got out to ask him to move. My patient managed to knock the dude out but he got 45 sutures in the process. This was downtown at approx. 9pm.

Yep. We met at the city's Level 1 trauma center when I was working with the PD (contracted to the hospital for details) and she was in nursing school and working as an aide in the psych ER. Pretty much every GSW in the city came into that place.

We had a good argument one day about "why do you carry if we're just going out to dinner around here, it's not a bad neighborhood." Explained that the whole reason to carry is in case something happens, regardless of where we're at. If I'm planning on going somewhere where I think I'll actually need a firearm on me, I should be seriously thinking about whether I need to go to that place or not.

She's finally starting to get it.

biracial bear for uncut
Jun 9, 2009

ask me about being the most obnoxious person of all time

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I have a CCW, but doubt I'll ever carry. In my state in order to own a handgun you need a CCW. I got it to do target shooting.

Security blanket while commuting to/from Job/wild animals in rural areas is the main reason I originally got one.

Even though it's technically legal to carry where I live I had this idea that if I was going to carry I wanted something I could hand to an officer during a traffic stop with my ID and insurance if challenged about why I'm wearing one/why I have one in my vehicle (this was back before it became common practice for police to immediately default to mag-dumping into people they see with a gun anywhere near/on their person during traffic stops).

I keep my CCW up to date mainly so I have something else to go along with my general ID whenever making a gun purchase to shorten any background checks/etc.; but I don't actually carry any more because I realized that my habits are pretty much limited to job commute and commuting to public areas with large crowds and in any real SHTF scenario I'm not good enough of a shot to make a difference and I really don't want to cause a situation where police are shooting me when I'm "But I'm trying to help! ". I also really don't want to get shot simply because a Barney Fife type that pulled me over for a random traffic check went to DEFCON 1 because they spotted a gun (I'm one of those irritating people that obeys speed limits and keeps my car maintained so there is no reason for me to be pulled over outside of hitting a random search point). It's fairly low risk anyway since I'm white but still.

Also CCW has fuckall to do with home defense, for that I have a shotgun with a light on the end (which was less expensive than the pistol, ironically). No kids in the house, all other guns (bunch of old C&R long rifles) locked up in a safe.

I'm less concerned with falsely targeting family/friends/harmless strangers because someone has to go really way the gently caress out of their way to end up at my house for innocent reasons (house square in the middle of a twenty-something acre plot of land, surrounded by pine trees on the side of a small mountain). Also, family/friends always call to let me know they're coming over because that's the courteous thing to do. Solicitors do not come out in the middle of the night. There is no thru traffic from anyone that does not live on the road and I'm not the kind of person that would shoot someone for knocking on my door for help (also I can look at someone illuminated by my security light before opening the door and see who is knocking on said door). I guess it's a unique situation.

Also, I've lived where I am now since 1993 with zero break-ins in the area and zero local crime to speak of outside of the usual DUI dipshits and kids at the local high school pulling stupid pranks on the campus of the school. Atlanta (where I commute to) is obviously a different story statistics-wise but I've been making this commute since 1998 with zero actual issues/incidents.

When I'm out and about attempting to stave off hermit insanity by hanging out in public places/doing social stuff in activities in any of the random towns between where I live and work, I'm no longer worried that some desperate person is going to pick me out of the hundreds of people at an event to target because I'm always with a group and we always either carpool or go early so we can all take up parking spaces near each other and wait until everyone is in their car and all vehicles are running before we start leaving. Smartphones and reliable service are great for coordinating stuff like this.

Best way to avoid any "trouble"? Be social, make friends and travel in groups. Society's predators don't like to target groups (unless they're elected officials). If you find yourself alone for some reason and you feel threatened, don't stop moving until you get to a place you feel safe (and don't be afraid to actually call the police to report what you feel is an unsafe situation--they can't respond if nobody alerts them before poo poo hits the fan).

If you're the kind of person that's all "gently caress having friends and having to put up with being around people!" then you're probably the last person that should be carrying a gun all the time; ditto if you sit around daydreaming about living out an action movie scenario where you're "the good guy with a gun". See above about law enforcement having no reasonable expectation of knowing you aren't the reason they were called out if you're running around with a gun "helping".

My CCW pistol is was a Ruger LC9 (the 3279 model with laser & light integrated into the frame), an upgrade from the Kel-Tec PF-9 I originally had way back when I got my CCW. Well more than enough for an "OH poo poo!" armed response before bugging out (under the logic that if I'm in a situation where I need more ammo capacity or range than that pistol provides then I'm in truly deep poo poo and somebody, somewhere, hosed up).

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

it isn't easy being a cross dominate shooter.

Pocket carry came up in the CCW thread so I'm going to talk about why I pocket carry sometimes.

Gun: S&W Model 38

Caliber: 38 Special

Modified: T-grips, yo.

Ammo: Federal 125gr Nyclad

Holster: DeSantis Nemesis

Why?: Because in the winter I have trouble getting to a belt-mounted gun under a big winter coat. I could wear the coat open but gently caress that, it's cold.

I carry the snubnose because it actually draws well from a coat pocket. In an ideal world I would carry my Shield instead (for several reasons), but it hangs up when I try to draw it from a coat pocket.

Nyclads are bad carry ammo (they do fine in bare gel out of snubs but they fail hard in denim tests) but based on my research there's no such thing as good carry ammo in standard-pressure 38 for snubnoses and it's what I have. Even +P ammo is dodgy. I might get something better someday but TBH I can't be assed to spend money on ammo for a gun that I only carry on very cold days.

tl;dr it's making the best of a bad situation.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Since I guess now we're raising threads from the grave, guess I'll explain why I don't carry.

Basically cause it's extremely very much verboten at work, and that's like 75% of everywhere I go these days. I work on a military base, and they have random checks at the gate sometimes, and also the building I work in has random patdowns every once in a while on top of that. I ain't too keen on tryna figure out what happens if they catch you. So since I can't make it a habit of strappin everytime I step out, I figure it's too much to have to deal with asking myself if I'm going to work, or if there's a chance I might have to go on base for something, on top of necessary skills not getting the workout they need to keep up with the responsibility of tucking death itself inside my pants because I don't really do poo poo other than work.

That said, *something* might happen where I for some reason can't just not carry, so I do at least have CCW capable guns in case whatever happens, or in case they actually start allowing it at work or something.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 11, 2018

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

Since I guess now we're raising threads from the grave

welp, that sure did happen.

sorry, was linked in another thread and I didn't look at the last post date.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Friar Zucchini posted:

Since I guess now we're raising threads from the grave, guess I'll explain why I don't carry.

Basically cause it's extremely very much verboten at work, and that's like 75% of everywhere I go these days. I work on a military base, and they have random checks at the gate sometimes, and also the building I work in has random patdowns every once in a while on top of that. I ain't too keen on tryna figure out what happens if they catch you. So since I can't make it a habit of strappin everytime I step out, I figure it's too much to have to deal with asking myself if I'm going to work, or if there's a chance I might have to go on base for something, on top of necessary skills not getting the workout they need to keep up with the responsibility of tucking death itself inside my pants because I don't really do poo poo other than work.

That said, *something* might happen where I for some reason can't just not carry, so I do at least have CCW capable guns in case whatever happens, or in case they actually start allowing it at work or something.

I also work on a military base where carry is verboten (which is loving deplorable, btw) so I can't carry to work, but beyond that I carry everywhere other than into banks and on the rare occasion I venture somewhere else where it's prohibited by law (post office, campuses, etc.).

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but instead of having the lingering anxiety of "tucking death itself inside of my pants" I've found that carrying tends to make me more calm and polite, though more observant. If I'm carrying and someone cuts me off in traffic, I may grumble to myself, but I don't actually get upset. While I'm shopping I'll let just about anyone go in front of me because I want to be courteous and I'd prefer not to have someone fidgeting behind me.

CCW isn't for everyone, and if you're not comfortable with it, you shouldn't. That being said, I think there's really something behind the position that "a well armed society is a polite society" and I think we'd see more pro-social behavior from people, in general, if more people were carrying.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

poeticoddity posted:

I carry everywhere other than into banks

Why not? It's not illegal to do so specifically in banks except for in Montana.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Craptacular posted:

That's news to me. Good to know. I'll scratch that off my list.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

I only carry about 40% of the time. Mostly because if my trip out is to work/school I'd have to leave my gun in the car the whole time, as there aren't weapons allowed in either place. If its work I'll usually do it because the parking lot is behind a gate, but not for school. too much of a risk of something left in a car being stolen, even if its in a safe box.

Gun: Sig p238

Caliber: .380 acp

Trigger Type: Single Action

Modified from stock? slightly

I carry it with an extended magazine with the pinkie shelf, instead of the standard mag. No other mods. I also carry along with it 1 extra magazine and a punch knife. I carry a bunch of medical gear and extra stuff in my laptop bag/ backpack but as far as violent bits, that setup is pretty standard.

I picked this gun because I like 1911s and this is, more or less, a .380 1911. Its a little heavier than other pocket guns but its soft shooting and easily one of my favorite guns to shoot. I have a bad right wrist but I can fire this just fine with one hand, unlike its cousin in 9mm. Plus, I live in FL. It's not as though I ever have to worry about guys in thick coats, so .380 is fiiiiine. I carry the knife for general utility tasks and as a backup weapon. I figure if someone gets on top of me and I cant reach the gun, I'll be able to reach the knife on the side. It's hard to take away a punch knife from someone, so thats why I went with that over a more traditional style knife. Last thing I'd want is for it to be used against me. Plus, its a handy little box opener.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I don't carry and it's unlikely I ever will, but let me say that it's not at all out of place to ask this question. It's perfectly valid.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

poeticoddity posted:

I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but instead of having the lingering anxiety of "tucking death itself inside of my pants" I've found that carrying tends to make me more calm and polite, though more observant. If I'm carrying and someone cuts me off in traffic, I may grumble to myself, but I don't actually get upset. While I'm shopping I'll let just about anyone go in front of me because I want to be courteous and I'd prefer not to have someone fidgeting behind me.
Basically my thing is I'm not really comfortable with it because I can't make a habit of it, not the other way around. If I could carry anytime I go out I'd be fine with it because I'd get used to it.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Craptacular posted:

True, but some states have laws that allow businesses to not allow carry inside them, and I've noticed a lot of banks do that.

This is also why I carry infrequently at best. Can't carry at work because schools are gun-free zones, which means that the vast majority of time that I'm out of the house I've got that in my circuit. I could leave it in the car, but I'm concerned about parking lot break ins where I have to park.

Still, I keep my permit up to date because I like having the option. Plus it's way, way easier to just go get it renewed every few years (which is just a trip to the sheriff's office and a fee) than go through the whole class + application + fingerprints etc. rigmarole again.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

True, but some states have laws that allow businesses to not allow carry inside them, and I've noticed a lot of banks do that.
It sounded like he thought carry inside banks is illegal in and of itself because they're banks, not because they might post against carry like any other business. It's a common misconception.

poopgiggle
Feb 7, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Similar thinking leaves me with a med kit no further than the car at any given time, hiking/woods bumming with no less kit than will enable a survivable impromptu overnight, and so on.

A trauma first aid class and a couple tourniquets are on my shopping list, if for no other reason than some guy at the range might shoot himself in the leg.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

poopgiggle posted:

A trauma first aid class and a couple tourniquets are on my shopping list, if for no other reason than some guy at the range might shoot himself in the leg.

I might have mentioned it somewhere else but I had a scare at my range a month or so ago that got me thinking the same thing. I heard screaming from the neighboring shooting area (about 100 yards away) and thought someone had just been shot. Sprinted down there with 911 already dialed, ready to hit call as soon as I saw what was going on.

Turned out dad was taking his adult (20s maybe) daughters shooting and offered to buy one of them a free lunch if she hit whatever they were shooting at first shot. She flipped out like Oprah just gave her a loving car. High pitched screaming that seriously sounded like someone being murdered.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Certified Centrist Trash

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is also why I carry infrequently at best. Can't carry at work because schools are gun-free zones, which means that the vast majority of time that I'm out of the house I've got that in my circuit. I could leave it in the car, but I'm concerned about parking lot break ins where I have to park.

Still, I keep my permit up to date because I like having the option. Plus it's way, way easier to just go get it renewed every few years (which is just a trip to the sheriff's office and a fee) than go through the whole class + application + fingerprints etc. rigmarole again.

North Carolina doesn’t have campus carry? Huh.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Exit Strategy posted:

Gun: CZ-75 P-01

Caliber: 9x19mm Parabellum

Trigger Type: DA/SA

Modified from stock? Oh, yes.

If so, how? Meprolight night sights, Wolff extra-power spring kit, VZ Tactical Diamonds grips, and a Streamlight TLR-1. Custom holster built from an Old Faithful kit back when they sold the roll-your-own holster kit.

Why? The gun itself is just because I love the CZ design. The ergonomics and look of the thing are just beautiful to me in some undefinable way. I bought it for $250 twelve years ago from a guy who literally could not get this ugly green pistol off his shelves for love nor money. 9mm is perfectly fine for shooting anything I'd ever practically want to shoot with a pistol, and I shoot better with this gun than I do with any of the other compact or subcompact pistols I own, even the striker-fired guns that are 'more consistent'.

Extra power springs are because the few things that DO work properly on my body are my arms, and the extra extraction, ejection, and primer-striking capability mean I never have any problems with ammunition. I've also never punctured a primer, but I tend to shoot factory ammo only.

The VZ grips are because after carrying and practicing with the gun for eight years all the texture had worn off the factory rubber grips. I like 'em, though I went with the more aggressive pattern when I bought an SP-01.

The flashlight? That one kind of goes with my custom holster. When I molded the Kydex, I did so with the light installed and nothing to make a light tunnel. In short, the Kydex is molded so that the light, when inserted into the holster, gets locked in the "off" position. On draw, the switch is forced through the channel for the finger guard, which toggles the light on. The flexible leather backing, though, means that I can twist the butt of the gun about fifteen degrees towards me and draw cleanly, without enabling the light. I practice both draw strokes when at the range, and can pick light-on or light-off draw on command. Like Kommie said, it's handy to have an indirect illuminator. You can, if needed, also directly illuminate anything that needs lit up, then light it up.

All in all, it's a handy all-conditions weapon system. With appropriate belt support, the Old Faithful kit holster just... disappears, to both my feel and others' sight.

this was very informative, thank you

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Gun: Glock 26

Caliber: 9x19

Trigger Type: Apex Action Enhancement Trigger & Gen 3 Trigger Bar, Lone Wolf 721 connector

Modified from stock? yes

If so, how? Glock OEM extended slide stop release, Glock extended magazine catch, trigger guard undercut for my sausage fingers. Factory trigger wasn't very good, I've been spoiled by my old 2nd Generation Glock 17. Extended controls make it easier to manipulate without shifting my grip. I took a sanding drum to the trigger guard after the first range trip beat up the knuckle on my middle finger.

Why? I needed something easier to conceal than my Glock 17. I use a DeSantis tuckable holster at 4 o'clock and it hides pretty well on my lumpy dad-bod. I have to dress business casual at work, so untucked shirts and jeans are no-go.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

this was very informative, thank you

I'm glad to help.

It's worth noting that if a place lacks metal detectors, I'm carrying my gun. Sign, no sign, it doesn't matter. PA has no provision in law for a "no firearms" sign, and I have no malicious intent.

If a place DOES have metal detectors and also lovely or lax security (Kennywood amusement park, lookin' at you), I carry anyway. My Get Out Of Metal Detectors Free card comes in real handy in those cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DkHelmet
Jul 10, 2001

I pity the foal...

Exit Strategy posted:

PA has no provision in law for a "no firearms" sign, and I have no malicious intent.

Just keep in mind that the Post Office is a no-carry federal building, and that includes the parking lot. It made my eyebrows go up once I learned it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-postoffice-guns-decision/no-guns-on-post-office-property-says-u-s-appeals-court-idUSL1N0ZC2QF20150626

• Locked thread