Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

wiegieman posted:

Real runners (the ones who are going to keep doing it, I mean) can always fall back on the plan of "kill everyone between us and the exit."

Unless you're an expert face, in which case your fallback is "get these other jabronis to kill everyone between us an the exit, and then get us a nice, quiet, untracked ride way the gently caress away from this mess." Works better in some situations than others, Face's are kinda boned if they're sent into the Renraku Arcology in the bad old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

habeasdorkus posted:

Unless you're an expert face, in which case your fallback is "get these other jabronis to kill everyone between us an the exit, and then get us a nice, quiet, untracked ride way the gently caress away from this mess." Works better in some situations than others, Face's are kinda boned if they're sent into the Renraku Arcology in the bad old days.

Faces know better than to take jobs where they knowingly walk into Renraku or Aztechnology strongholds anyway.

That's why you have to spring it on them by surprise. (Not that it's hard, what with Az owning Stuffer Shack and pretty much everything else.)

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

wiegieman posted:

Real runners (the ones who are going to keep doing it, I mean) can always fall back on the plan of "kill everyone between us and the exit." The ability to do that when your carefully crafted plan gets shot to hell is kinda the main filter between runner and dude with a gun and a deck.

habeasdorkus posted:

The difference between a real Runner and a statistic waiting to happen is their ability to improvise a workable exit plan. In most cases, yes, that just means "They will run out of bodies before I run out of bullets". But it can just as easily mean knowing where to blow a wall to get into the local sewers or subways, or just knowing a Rigger in the area that can get you a chopper on zero notice.

Or, in this case, knowing how to lead a traitor into a killbox that you can get through safely. For all his fuckups this is Blitz demonstrating that he really is a good Runner.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I mean, to be fair, being a runner means you are already a statistic waiting to happen. It isn't really a job you can get out of alive, seeing as the most basic part of begining is burning all records of your existence from all government identification, and go on from THAT.

There are basically 2 ways to retire, and neither are really safe: either you sell out and become a corporate "security consultant" or you earn enough money that you can retire to somewhere non-awakened in the Bahamas until the biggest Corp you hosed figures out where you are and sneds a kill team.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Plenty of runners retire in ways that don't fall into either category. Usually into other careers like being a fixer. Some get legit professions. Others actually save up enough and invest in the right way to actually retire.

So what if your ID is fake? You used your other fake IDs for the actually illegal stuff and this one is super convincing.

And risk of corps going after you long after the run is done is very small. Corps don't give a poo poo about you, they care about who hired you. People that actually matter.

Unless you did something extraordinarily stupid like shoot Damien Knight's dog in front of him for kicks, in which case how the hell did you make it to retirement in the first place?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Stroth posted:

The difference between a real Runner and a statistic waiting to happen is their ability to improvise a workable exit plan. In most cases, yes, that just means "They will run out of bodies before I run out of bullets". But it can just as easily mean knowing where to blow a wall to get into the local sewers or subways, or just knowing a Rigger in the area that can get you a chopper on zero notice.

Having a Plan B is very very good. But in my opinion you should always, always maintain Plan C.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Plans are good. Getting out alive is better, and let's face it, if your plan goes as... well, planned, then either you've been exceedingly lucky on your rolls, or you have a very poor GM. Or it's just to lure you into a false sense of security for next session where you realize there was a lot more going on in the background than you realized, and maybe if you hadn't been so focused on your plan, you might have noticed some very important things.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plan C is "kill everything that isn't us". It's always the same, which makes it adaptable to many different circumstances.

Have a Plan A. A Plan B for when things go wrong is good too. But also keep Plan C available.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Psion posted:

It's true, Blitz is a very believable shadowrunner. I think they really helped bring that into focus with this mission and with the rest of DC, the base game did not do as good of a job as selling that point. I can understand why people were less than thrilled with him in 1.0, as I've probably said before.

Average runner life expectancy is terrible. blitz has, so far, managed to beat the odds more than once. So has the rest of the team but I feel like it's more direct in their backstories or something so it's easier to buy with them without needing a mission focused on them for it? maybe?

The difference between them and Blitz is they feel like protagonists. Deitrich is a tough old (At minimum, old in rock star years) bastard who's on A Mission From God. He's not going down easy. Eiger's a veteran special forces badass. Glory's got a hell of a mess in her background. They're people who a campaign is built around, who feel like they shouldn't die without it being special somehow.

Blitz is just a runner. You know, a guy with some skills and self preservation instincts that are somehow amazing and terrible at the same time.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

The difference between them and Blitz is they feel like protagonists. Deitrich is a tough old (At minimum, old in rock star years) bastard who's on A Mission From God. He's not going down easy. Eiger's a veteran special forces badass. Glory's got a hell of a mess in her background. They're people who a campaign is built around, who feel like they shouldn't die without it being special somehow.

Blitz is just a runner. You know, a guy with some skills and self preservation instincts that are somehow amazing and terrible at the same time.

That kinda makes Blitz the Shadowrun player character.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

inflatablefish posted:

That kinda makes Blitz the Shadowrun player character.

it is part of why people who have played the tabletop tend to love/hate him.

you have either played with, or been, blitz. he is fun. because he is really, really stupid.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Lone Badger posted:

Having a Plan B is very very good. But in my opinion you should always, always maintain Plan C.
A is get to the exit. B is make a new exit. C is kill everyone else. D is Dunkelzahn.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Stroth posted:

Or, in this case, knowing how to lead a traitor into a killbox that you can get through safely. For all his fuckups this is Blitz demonstrating that he really is a good Runner.

Blitz is a goof and not very professional, but he's clearly very very good at improvising, and he knows what the hell he's doing.

Dragonfall's updated version making him legitimately very good at his job at decking is a really nice touch, even if it's kind of inconvenient that unless you make your character a decker he's a must-have. I kind of wish they had made it so you could take all your crew in Dragonfall in, including Blitz, rather than having to always leave one home.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

MJ12 posted:

I kind of wish they had made it so you could take all your crew in Dragonfall in, including Blitz, rather than having to always leave one home.

This is a problem I have with a lot of games. They should at least designate the people you left behind as the B team and give them something to do at the same time the A team is doing the mission instead of just having them hang around doing nothing.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
"Four of us will be putting our lives on the line on this run, but Glory, stay home and sharpen your claws/Eiger, obsessively field strip your rifle/Dietrich, have a beer and hang out with the dog/Blitz, shitpost on Shadowland."

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

MJ12 posted:

I kind of wish they had made it so you could take all your crew in Dragonfall in, including Blitz, rather than having to always leave one home.

I'm like this with every party-based RPG I play, whether the characters are just faceless mooks with individual classes or if they have names, personalities and personal histories. I'm all about more is better and variety is the best... to put it another way, I just want to play with all of the toys and see all of the content. I well remember, when I was young, playing the original Final Fantasy and thinking "Why can't I have a party of six with one of each class?"* and "Why must my black/white mage be limited to three spells per level instead of all four?" I realise that numerous spells in the NES version didn't work properly or at all, but that's not my point.

*Actually, I'd have been happy with only five slots as Martial/Artists were boring as gently caress.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Blitz is gonna get spanked when she gets back.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm like this with every party-based RPG I play, whether the characters are just faceless mooks with individual classes or if they have names, personalities and personal histories. I'm all about more is better and variety is the best... to put it another way, I just want to play with all of the toys and see all of the content. I well remember, when I was young, playing the original Final Fantasy and thinking "Why can't I have a party of six with one of each class?"* and "Why must my black/white mage be limited to three spells per level instead of all four?" I realise that numerous spells in the NES version didn't work properly or at all, but that's not my point.

*Actually, I'd have been happy with only five slots as Martial/Artists were boring as gently caress.
The only way I managed to make my way through the Avadon games is by modding them to bring everyone along. And I think I managed to annoy practically everyone on the Baldur's Gate mod forums (Spellhold?) in the early 2000's, asking for a party limit remover mod.

For one glorious moment at the very end of BG1, it kinda worked.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Xander77 posted:

The only way I managed to make my way through the Avadon games is by modding them to bring everyone along. And I think I managed to annoy practically everyone on the Baldur's Gate mod forums (Spellhold?) in the early 2000's, asking for a party limit remover mod.

For one glorious moment at the very end of BG1, it kinda worked.

I would have assumed that it was impossible given the BG engine to do that; fair play to them.

Six is uuuuusually good for me, but anything less always leaves me wanting more. Basically, if I don't have room for one of each class, I want more space. I played a bit of Avadon 1 and I used the party limit remover, but I only had four people total even though I could have gone higher. I had one of each of the four classes and that seemed to maximize fun and utility without destroying any semblance of challenge, but I didn't get that far.

I actually had a hard time finding a cap remover for Avadon 2 and 3; do you have a link?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

JustJeff88 posted:

I actually had a hard time finding a cap remover for Avadon 2 and 3; do you have a link?
This one, I think.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I remember getting really pissed at the party limit for Mask of the Betrayer. It's like Dragonfall in that you have 3 slots but 4 available party members so it just feels really dumb to not be able to use them all. Thankfully it was pretty easy to force it with console commands.

I also once force-added every available party member in the last act of the main campaign of NWN2, which was pretty hilarious.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Alacron posted:

I remember getting really pissed at the party limit for Mask of the Betrayer. It's like Dragonfall in that you have 3 slots but 4 available party members so it just feels really dumb to not be able to use them all. Thankfully it was pretty easy to force it with console commands.

I also once force-added every available party member in the last act of the main campaign of NWN2, which was pretty hilarious.
Link to how to do that?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Xander77 posted:

Link to how to do that?

It's been close to ten years since I did it, but a quick google showed me this on the GOG forums:

https://www.gog.com/forum/neverwinter_nights_series/motb_is_there_a_mod_to_increase_party_limit_by_1_so_you_can_have_all_of_them posted:

Console command.
First:

rs ga_party_limit(5)

then:

rs ga_party_add("name")

with "name" being one of these:

dove
safiya
okku
oneofmany
gann

I'm not sure if that works for the main campaign, but I distinctly remember it being possible because I had a god drat army following my dumb rear end around, and dialogue sections lasting stupidly long because EVERYONE had something to say.

It was awesome.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
On the topic of 'why not bring everyone along in RPG's', probably my favorite incarnation was Phantasy Star IV. Purely as they actually made it part of the plot (Characters would come and go based on the point you were in the game and the plot narrative).

Aware it's generally a balancing/engine thing, but it'd be sort of nice if more games would try and give a reason in universe or let you bring along 'everyone'. Or at least give a reason or something handwavable (Ie, Pathfinder: Kingmaker where the characters not along you can presume are.. well, helping run the kingdom)

Heir03
Oct 16, 2012

Pillbug

Alacron posted:

I remember doing this and brining my computer to its knees trying to run a party that big. But I agree, it just made sense. Way more fun too.

A cool mechanic would be for the party members who stay home get some kind of skill training/bonus as they were practicing while we were out killing stuff.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

wedgekree posted:

On the topic of 'why not bring everyone along in RPG's', probably my favorite incarnation was Phantasy Star IV. Purely as they actually made it part of the plot (Characters would come and go based on the point you were in the game and the plot narrative).

Aware it's generally a balancing/engine thing, but it'd be sort of nice if more games would try and give a reason in universe or let you bring along 'everyone'. Or at least give a reason or something handwavable (Ie, Pathfinder: Kingmaker where the characters not along you can presume are.. well, helping run the kingdom)
Chrono Trigger solved the "only 3 characters in the party" thing by saying only 3 could fit in the Epoch and if 4 or more went through a time gate it would just boot them out at the End Of Time.

But then it didn't matter because you could swap party members without having to return to End of Time so they were … following along the whole time?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
gameplay convenience > plot contrivance, I suppose.

imagine DF but they had to balance every combat encounter for each difficulty level and then if you have 4 or 5 characters based on whether or not you recruit Blitz, and your PC can be one of nearly infinite builds. So any given encounter has what, eight? possible enemy team compositions for an allied team you can't entirely control for.

i'm pretty sure just saying "look you're stuck with 4 please don't worry about it" is the only reason someone still has a liver

FrenchBen
Nov 30, 2013

Considering the start of the game, I assumed that the one you don't choose is on watch duty, like Eiger was. Keep an eye on extraction routes and inform the team inside of any changes outside. Of course, this is never brought up so go figure.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Psion posted:

gameplay convenience > plot contrivance, I suppose.

imagine DF but they had to balance every combat encounter for each difficulty level and then if you have 4 or 5 characters based on whether or not you recruit Blitz, and your PC can be one of nearly infinite builds. So any given encounter has what, eight? possible enemy team compositions for an allied team you can't entirely control for.

i'm pretty sure just saying "look you're stuck with 4 please don't worry about it" is the only reason someone still has a liver

If you could take five you'd probably just design the game so that the player has to grab Blitz in the first mission, then balance with that in mind. You'd need to do some rewriting of the circumstances around Blitz but it probably wouldn't be impossible to do.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 42 - The Meat of the Matter

When we last left off, we were just about to escape the scene of the crime when Blitz suddenly accused Hasenkamp of being an assassin sent here to kill us. Having lured him into a room with several gun turrets, he then asked us to use the nearby panel to give him control of the weapons in order to blast our would-be killer to bits.

Hasenkamp meanwhile insists that he has no such intentions and that he only wants to leave with his mystery box from the bank vault in tow as per his boss' request. He claims Blitz is paranoid and wants to kill him in order to get the box for himself, despite not even knowing its contents.

And so it falls to us to decide the crotchety man's fate.

...Well, this is what it would normally come down to. But as we made our way through the bank, our laudably thorough exploration of the place yielded various pieces of information which all seemed slightly off in one way or another. Namely...

1. Very optimistic financial projections for Meat Grinder's loan business which the man's own accountant didn't know about.
2. Landenberg Ring's own plans to open loan centers in Drongenkippe, and a mention of a "silent partner" recently brought on for the plan.
3. A shoot-on-sight list which contained three names Blitz recognized; himself, Hasenkamp, and ourselves, attached to a warning about our plan to rob this place tonight.

Also, a recurring name which seems connected to all these things, Jürgen Plotz. An ex-employee of Meat Grinder's who didn't get along with Hasenkamp and at some point hopped over to the Landenberg side of the fence.

Now Hasenkamp did ultimately admit to also working as Grinder's assassin after not having bothered to mention that detail until now, so it's not particularly implausible that Blitz is right and he's here to off us as a threat or witness at Meat Grinder's orders. But with these three clues in our possession, we can put together a theory which if true, would mean that no one here tonight was ever meant to walk away a winner.

I think that there's something else going on here. I think that we've all been set up.

[Hasenkamp blinks.] Explain.

I think that your boss is in bed with the Landenberg Ring. I think that he's the "silent partner" that we read about.

[An astonished chuckle erupts from the old man.]

Mr. Grinder? Working with Plotz? Are you high?

Yes, but that's beside the point.

Look man, when you go on a run like this and to a place like this with freakin' Blitz at the helm, you need something to take the edge off.

I've known Mr. Grinder for twelve years. And I'm telling you, he would *never* work with that son of a bitch. Besides, if that were true, why would he have sent *me* in here to help you rob the place?

Are you familiar with the phrase "killing two birds with one stone?"

Don't get cute with me, Rosa. Say what you mean.

She isn't being cute, jackass. She's accurately describing the situation. Obviously, Meat Grinder wants you out of the way.

Blitz has either caught on or is just blatantly piggybacking on our conclusions, but the support is welcome either way.

Throwing around words like "obviously" doesn't make them true. Why the hell would Mr. Grinder want to get rid of me? I run his business, for God's sake!

[Hasenkamp falls silent, but his mouth curls into a frown.]

We also found those financial projections, remember? The ones that showed a massive increase in Grinder's future profits?

[His voice comes out flat. Disbelieving.] Those were fake.

...Or they were real, and your boss is cutting you out of whatever he has planned.

No. No way.

[He shakes his head firmly.]

Mr. Grinder wouldn't do a thing like that. Not to me.

The heck are you getting this kinda confidence for your irreplaceability from anyway, pretty sure for a guy like that everyone's just a slab of beef to throw into the mill when the time comes.

Use that business acumen of yours. What happens when the only two providers of a service merge together?

They form a monopoly. You're saying that Mr. Grinder and Plotz--

They're joining their businesses together, man! Read between the lines! It's actually not a bad scheme, come to think of it. The Ring tricks idiots into taking out predatory loans, and Grinder shows up to collect.

You get the irony of what you just said, right?

Sure. I get it. And *you* get that your boss is cutting you out of his operation, right?

I'm sure that the Landenberg Ring has plenty of accountants. Grinder wouldn't need you anymore.

Not sure whether to feel bad for the guy or satisfied to see him speechless for once.

From what you've told us about Plotz, he wouldn't want you in the picture, either. There's bad blood between you two, right?

[Hasenkamp's face has gone ashen. He nods dumbly.]

Yeah. Yeah, there is.

It all seems pretty clear-cut to me.

]

Yeah, we've recently grown pretty familiar with that particular feeling too.

So... I guess that means that we're all on the same team now. Right?

Told you!

Pff, of all the people to get told-you'd by...

Also we have the option to respond to Hasenkamp's confession by going back to the original plan:

quote:

Blitz, I changed my mind. Waste this guy for me.

Uh, boss... are you sure? I mean, he's on our side now, and he didn't have to admit--

[Push the button.] Less talking, more shooting!

But really, we're all in the same crime boat here. Hell, we were given a job to go kill someone in the guise of helping them out literally a couple of days ago. No hard feelings now that we've managed to clear this little misunderstanding.

You were on a job, the same as we are. I can understand that.

Thanks. I was hoping you would. For what it's worth, you have nothing to fear from me now. I didn't *want* to kill you in the first place, and now that I've... um... "tendered my resignation," there are only two people who need to worry about me shooting them.

Just to be clear: I'm not one of the two people, am I?

No, Blitz. You're not. When we get out of here, I have a score to settle with Plotz and Grinder. And believe me, I will settle it.

Sounds great to me. I'll be back at the Kreuzbasar, scrubbing the filth of this place off of me. I feel like I've been dipped in grease.

Fair enough. Now, Blitz... you wanna open the door for us?

Yeah, sure. I'll just need one of you to push that button in the security terminal so that I can activate the security doors.

[He pushes the button.] All right, Blitz. I'm trusting you here.

Absolutely. Because I'm *trustworthy.* Now, I'll just activate those security doors, and--

Man, Blitz and opening doors is just not a combination that's working out tonight.

...Blitz?

Get ready, Hasenkamp. We're about to have company.

And we were so close too. Seems these jerks have upgraded to 4-man squads now, what a pain.

Also two of the turrets are looking decidedly hostile so that's not great either. What exactly is going on over in cyberspace?

Oh right, another decker. That's like... the second time ever we've seen one, last time was in DMS when we were saving Coyote's cousin.

Who the hell *are* you, man?

I could ask the same of you. You're in *my* banking system, you little bastard.

What?

I'm shaking in my boots, man. I mean, seriously. How *old* are you, by the way? Because you look about forty.

[The banker's face is overtaken by a menacing smile.]

I'm still spry enough to ruin your day, punk. Your rear end is mine.

Remember that incredibly suspicious turret node area Blitz passed through early on in the mission? Because that's where this fateful cyberbattle will take place, and it's linked to the fight taking place in the real world in a way that's actually pretty neat.

Basically, Plotz has taken control of two of the turrets (which is why they turned hostile on our party) while Blitz controls two. The nodes can be hacked to turn the hostile turrets friendly, but Plotz can and will try to do the same. This is once again a situation where having the Excalibur is extremely useful because an extra AP can make all the difference.

Now this fight can be fairly easy or quite tricky depending on your approach.

Your first instinct is probably to summon your ESPs and go to town on Plotz. Problem is that he has an enormous amount of IP, a whopping 650 to be precise. He also has many of the same skills Blitz does, including an AoE which can one-shot your frail Exploder if you don't blow it up immediately.

Odds are this is followed by Plotz summoning his own ESP which proceeds to immediately hack one of the nodes, making you go "wait they can do that?" and turning the turret situation 3-1 in favor of Team Worse Guys. I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience on my first attempt with this fight, mind.

Equipped with the knowledge of ESPs' incredible hacking capabilities, we instead start by summoning the Exploder and sending its volatile butt to handle the east node which is the furthest from danger. I'm not entirely sure if you can end up with no ESPs to summon if you used them in the earlier Matrix section, but that would certainly make this one rather painful.

Blitz spends two of his remaining three AP to run towards Plotz, and uses the last to summon his other ESP (Attacker) which then proceeds to hack the south node. We now end the turn with all four turrets on our side which is a remarkably better situation from earlier.

Plotz spends his turn missing an attack on the Attacker and summoning his own, though this time it opts to head for the north node instead of the closer one to the west for some reason.

Fortunately Plotz's cyberassistant doesn't share his absurd toughness, so Blitz intervenes and ensures it never manages to cause trouble.

We now have a pretty decisive upper hand on the virtual portion of this fight, so it's time to focus on Plotz himself. He can still hack nodes but it's very hard for him to keep up on his own.

Of course the Landenberg goons won't just give up and fall over in the real world, so we still gotta work through these guys. You'll notice that all the turrets are on our side now which does not bode well for them though. Two Heavy Leylines also glow invitingly in the middle of the room, like a pair of runic nipples.

These guys aren't playing around either, the usual weakling rigger aside this is a pretty intimidating lineup. Certainly not people you want to fight while dodging turret fire at the same time. They're all bundled up so this'd be a great AoE spot, if only we had enough AP to reach one of those Leylines and cast our 2 AP spell...

quote:

...we do pocket some Cram, but the only other thing here is a vent which would require a drone to get through...

Oh, right. We usually make do without the assistance of "combat stims" but there's no way we can pass up on an opportunity this delicious.

Oh yeah, now we're about to have a party.

After the leyline- and drug-fueled lightning clears, nothing remains of the rigger or his drone and the three survivors are going nowhere fast either. The Enforcer got crit for -5 AP on top of the ongoing AP damage which is downright magical. And speaking of magical crits...

Boom! Man, Heavy Leylines are just the best. Bet Hasenkamp's feeling pretty happy about not having to try and kill us right now.

Meanwhile in cyberspace, Blitz has that putz Plotz cornered but the middle-aged nerd still puts up a decent fight. In a single turn he summons a new ESP, heals himself and blasts our Explorer to cyberbits with his AoE yet again. If all enemies were as lively as this guy we'd be in real trouble.

Still, the ESP is quickly taken out which lets Blitz and his Attacker ESP to continue unloading on Plotz with impunity.

It still takes two full turns' worth of attacks to grind through his mountain of IP, but eventually Plotz crumbles and the king of this particular cyberhill is decided.

Plotz is down, chief! Wherever he is, he won't bother us any more... after the beating I just handed him, he'll be down with a migraine for the rest of the day. All four turrets are back under my control too! Go to town, chief... I've got you covered.

Good job, man.

Gotta admit, we do make a pretty good team when all is said and done. Taking out Plotz doesn't automatically turn the turrets friendly by the way, so it's good to get it done first.

The remnants of the Landenberg assault force are deep enough in negative AP that getting to actually take a turn is but a distant dream for them. Standing on a Heavy Leyline reduces Flamethrower's cooldown from 1 to 0 which means we can just throw 'em around like normal attacks too. Have I mentioned that Heavy Leylines are great?

Alright, that should do it. Now then, let's get the hell out of

Oh what, there's more? They really saved up for this last fight, huh.

The turrets in the back greet the newcomers while the ones closer by are feeling too lazy to do anything for some reason. The guns can put out some pretty serious damage, they're a little inaccurate but they always fire twice and crit pretty often. Definitely something we prefer seeing on our side of the ring.

Now I could list the stats of the second group and talk about what they can do, there's a captain and a conjurer and something something whatever, but Lightning Ball just came off of cooldown and we're still standing on that Heavy Leyline so let's just cut to the chase.

Whoa, déjà vu.

Hasenkamp who has mostly been assisting with his grenades and laser pointer — sorry, designator — chimes in with a reminder that he's still pretty drat strong with that revolver of his. Maybe he was a wild west gunslinger in a previous life or something.

A combination of magical and turret fire tear through the remaining two Landenbergians, and this time we're done for real. Ultimately not a single enemy managed to take a single action which turned this potentially pretty tough and drawn-out battle into a complete clowning. That's what happens when you don't manage to geek the mage first.

Well. That takes care of that. And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go take care of Mr. Grinder.

My former employer won't be needing this anymore. Give it to your pal, Blitz... I'm sure that he can find a use for it.

Hey, all riiight!

At the end of the day Blitz got everything he wanted, his debt has been cleared, his creditor's about to be ground down in his own mill, and he even got his drat box all the while sipping soykaf at Burakgazi's. Man, maybe he really is the Chosen One or something.

What does it do?

Beats me. From the connections on the bottom, it looks like it was made to plug into a cyberdeck. Beyond that, I'm as in the dark about the thing as you are. All I know is that Grinder wanted it. That should be good enough for the Red-Haired Disaster.

Just don't get the two mixed up, heh.

What about Plotz?

Never did like the man. I'll give him a chance to scurry away, let him get his hopes up for a day or two. Then I'm gonna chuck his rear end into a wood chipper.

Like figuratively or... oh.

Is that really necessary?

[He shrugs.] Probably not. But it's the little touches that make this job worth doing.

Remind me not to piss you off again.

I'll keep it in mind.

Long-term plans are a luxury we kind of don't have in our current situation, but it's always nice to have options. See you around and good luck, we didn't really get along at first but you ended up being pretty alright in the end. If not a little terrifying.

Time to leave Drogenkippe behind, hopefully for good this time. We'll bring Blitz his box, give him a good kick in the rear end, take a long shower and then see what fun surprises the next day has in store for us.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The woodchipper is how you show you appreciate the old classics. Fargo was a masterpiece.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

That's a good mission right there, nice!

also, heavy leylines :stare:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That's Hasenkamp for you, always putting a touch of personal style in everything and making time for the grandkids.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Its the small things in life, eh Hasenkamp?

Bedtime stories, a job well done, tossing your enemies screaming into a woodchipper. Ahhh, how delightful

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
Godspeed you! Murder Grandpa

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Slaan posted:

Bedtime stories, a job well done, tossing your enemies screaming into a woodchipper. Ahhh, how delightful

I like to imagine him adjusting his glasses and reading financial reports as he presses the start button.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I wonder what sort of story he reads to his grandchildren at night. Probably one of the many hosed up Grimm fairy tales, or Hoffmann's Struwwelpeter. But his grandchildren aren't afraid, because every ghost or evil witch knows fully well to avoid house Hasenkamp, and there are no monsters under any bed. Ever.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

:kiddo: "and then what happened Grandpa?"
:golgo: "and then the woodsman took the wicked witch behind the woodshed and gave her a good talking to, and she was never seen again."
*Kiss*
:golgo: "and now go to sleep children and tomorrow I'll help you with your math homework"

*Turns off the lights and surreptitiously slips a credstick to the new monster under the bed for guarding the astral (the last one was too insistent on remaining freelance).*

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

By popular demand posted:

*Turns off the lights and surreptitiously slips a credstick to the new monster under the bed for guarding the astral (the last one was too insistent on remaining freelance).*

Considering how crazy the Shadowrun universe is, this is actually believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Modern astral protections usually involve an FAB3 pack inserted into the wall during construction. The gel suspension keeps it fed pretty much forever, and it even glows in the dark when it eats evil spirits.