Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Sulla Faex posted:

roll to parry "a series of nukes"
I always appreciated how we are really unable to conceptualize "literally unknowable and impossible to fathom lovecraftian monsters from a dimension unlike our own" as anything other than "flelshbag that falls apart when hit with enough damage".

How many punches does it take to kill the sun? How many nukes would you need to destroy the color yellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

More punches than it is feasible with only one planer's worth of hands.

And all the nukes.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
From what I recall nukes have a bit of a "problem" in the Shadowrun universe. In that they don't blow up. Or at least the ones that I remember being launched all somehow mysteriously didn't go off. So I don't imagine a bunch of steel tubes that smack into cosmic horrors will do much.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

One would assume that a massively heightened global mana would gently caress with the laws of conventional physics somewhat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
For the millionth time, nukes still work. There's a giant radioactive crater in Chicago attesting to that fact.

Siegkrow posted:

Okay, maybe we cannot take down the horrors right now.

Give it a hundred years and we probably can, let alone thousands of years

The insects were supposed to take centuries to show up. They took twenty. We're on a massively accelerated time table.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Colander Crotch posted:

From what I recall nukes have a bit of a "problem" in the Shadowrun universe. In that they don't blow up. Or at least the ones that I remember being launched all somehow mysteriously didn't go off. So I don't imagine a bunch of steel tubes that smack into cosmic horrors will do much.

No, they work fine. The problem is that adding in magic makes the aftereffects considerably worse. Radioactive fallout was bad enough before it could pick itself up, walk back to your base, and start gamma lasering people's faces off. Radiation Spirits are a bad loving time.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I wonder if toxic spirits are motivated partly by self hatred, They are an abomination to anything and everyone.
Most destructive case of suicide by cop.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sulla Faex posted:

roll to parry "a series of nukes"
I'm sure it would be possible to munchking together a runner who can. It's only a matter of how much karma you need for it.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Poil posted:

I'm sure it would be possible to munchking together a runner who can. It's only a matter of how much karma you need for it.

Nah, I’d think the Chunky Salsa rule applies here, no matter how good you are.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

GhostStalker posted:

Nah, I’d think the Chunky Salsa rule applies here, no matter how good you are.
No, that's the rule for blasts "bouncing" off walls and ceilings which the nuke would destroy so it doesn't apply. Also it's a terribly dumb rule because if you apply it to a flashbang in a corridor it instantly kills even the toughest of trolls.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I always appreciated how we are really unable to conceptualize "literally unknowable and impossible to fathom lovecraftian monsters from a dimension unlike our own" as anything other than "flelshbag that falls apart when hit with enough damage".

How many punches does it take to kill the sun? How many nukes would you need to destroy the color yellow?

After running the numbers, I can confidently say the answers are shinty-six and Suck It Trebek, respectively.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

V. Illych L. posted:

well i guess it's like today except without any functioning public broadcasters and even more monopolistic media conglomerates

so each megacorp has their murdoch/springer type, probably also owning their own cambridge analytica-type affair to modulate public perception through vastly sophisticated information-handling methods, which in turn leads to people not really being able to know much of anything except that whatever they hear is propaganda from someone wanting to make money off them

in the grim darkness of the far future there is only putin

Yeah, this take is why I've decided that we're currently living in the most boring cyberpunk dystopia. I bet there's even still NPR outlets in UCAS and CAS, except they're extremely limited on the information they're able to obtain about anything happening in any extraterritorial area.

edit: I'd wager that you can destroy yellow if by destroy you mean redefining it out of existence. Just give me a couple generations with the Chinese government's control over information.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 10, 2019

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, this take is why I've decided that we're currently living in the most boring cyberpunk dystopia. I bet there's even still NPR outlets in UCAS and CAS, except they're extremely limited on the information they're able to obtain about anything happening in any extraterritorial area.

edit: I'd wager that you can destroy yellow if by destroy you mean redefining it out of existence. Just give me a couple generations with the Chinese government's control over information.

plus independent broadcasters will have their credibility kept firmly destroyed by the vastly better funded and more entertaining corpnews services

where there's no real dirt they'd make some, can't have threats to their information monopoly going around telling people things

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Corps don't have to go too far out of their way to suppress outside broadcasters, they just spend a lot of time showing their internal broadcasts on their internal networks, which are all their people see. If you've literally grown up on the Ares Team (tm) then why would you trust some shoestring budget independent show telling you that Your Team kills people to take their stuff?

For when you do need the narrative changed, there's Horizon. They will cheerfully make people believe anything you want.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

media is a product, and credible outside sources disrupt the supply chain

similar to how the corps will presumably either buy out or destroy any non-gigantic business the moment it rears its head

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

So the commentary about Ares had me go back and read the Dark Terrors plotbook- and I'd forgotten that there was at least one dragon who wasn't completely awful to deal with. Arleesh is certainly not good to deal with, but per Jane Foster (an immortal elf who has no real reason to blow smoke on Arleesh's behalf) she's up front and square with her runners so long as they do their job, even to the point of telling them if the job is probably too hard with them. Which she of course uses as a negotiating tactic to dig at runner's insecurities and get them to demand the job because of course she's still a dragon.

Arleesh also helped finally put down Alamis, along with Lofwyr and Lung, so that's another point in her favor.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 43 - Accounting Errors

It's time to take another brief trip into the ~Non-Canon Zone~ in order to cover the two other ways we could've handled the end of Blitz's personal mission.

It should be noted that getting the "best" resolution requires finding the three clues relating to Plotz and Grinder. If you find two or fewer, Blitz in his eagerness to send Hasenkamp to an early retirement will have none of it:

I can't prove it, but I have the feeling that there's something fishy going on here.

Quit stalling, chief. Push the button already! We can't chance him getting away.

Shut up and listen to me, Blitz. I've found clues--

That prove nothing, by your own admission. Now, chief, come on... we don't have a lot of time. Do this. I'm asking you as a friend.

Someone's forgetting their place. Well screw Blitz, if he's not gonna listen to us then we're not gonna listen to him.

[Step back.] I won't kill a man without just cause. And you haven't convinced me of anything, Blitz.

[He groans.] That was a mistake, chief. I mean, seriously.

I'll just pretend that I didn't hear that.

[He turns to leave.]

Oh, and... good call, Rosa. You just saved yourself a world of hurt.

Get out of here. Take the box to Grinder, and tell him that Blitz's debt is settled.

Done and done.

See, it's totally fine. When we get outta here, you'd best be groveling and apologizing profusely for all the crap you've pulled today, Blitz.

That's funny though, pretty sure we're supposed to be on the other side of that thing before it closes again.

What...?

Aw man, backstabbing we're used to but do you have any idea how much Blitz is going to rub this in our face now?

And speaking of which...

Now here's someone who definitely didn't make an appearance last time, hard to miss a lad of that size.

Grinder.

[The name comes out in a hushed voice. Blitz sounds terrified.]

[Whisper.] *That* is Meat Grinder? Blitz, that has to be the least intimidating troll I've ever seen.

Don't underestimate him. Remember the box of thumbs that I got in the mail? I mean, *thumbs,* chief! How creepy is *that?*

Okay. I'll give you the "thumbs" thing. That doesn't change the fact that he looks like he's about to keel over right here in the lobby.

[Hasenkamp steps forward.] Mr. Grinder. I have the box.

So you do.

[His voice is deep and breathy. He sounds distinctly unhealthy.]

Hand it here, my friend.

Once we get out of here we'll show you "personal" you rotten

Welp nevermind, turns out the big man was packing an Ares Plot Pistol, famed and feared for its power to take out anyone in a single shot as long as they're currently engaged in dialogue or other plot-related activity. Poor bastard never had a chance against one of those.

That takes care of that. Y'know, I should thank you... you've helped me kill two birds with one stone. I've got the box, and Hasenkamp is gone.

How wonderful for you.

[He offers you a sickly grin.] It is, isn't it? I get everything I want, and you take the fall for it. That's what's happening here, by the way. In case you hadn't guessed.

You son of a bitch. I trusted you, Grinder!

So did Hasenkamp.

[The troll leers at you through the security grate.]

Look where that got him.

Kinda with Meat Grinder on this one, he's probably the least trustworthy-looking guy we've met and we get betrayed like three times a week. Last time being literally like two minutes ago. ...We need to find a better line of work.

You've got the upper hand here. I get that. But I have friends, Grinder... if I go down tonight, you'll be joining me in short order.

If you had that kind of muscle, you should've used it to take me out from the get-go. Oh, well. Live and learn.

At least tell me something. Why did you want Hasenkamp dead?

Alright, enough of this crap. Screwing over Hasenkamp and Blitz is one thing, can't say they didn't have it coming, but we didn't endure those two all night just for some obese bastard to try and kneecap us right before the finish line.

Hey, Grinder... speaking of Blitz, there's something else that I think he can give you. Consider it compound interest on his loan.

[Meat Grinder raises an eyebrow, his jowls quivering.]

Oh? And what might that be?

[Push the button.] About twenty kilos of lead.

...Oh.

At least he died surrounded by what he loved, the sound of grinding meat.

For completion's sake, here's another way the above conversation can potentially go as it branches quite a bit:

That takes care of that. Y'know, I should thank you... you've helped me kill two birds with one stone. I've got the box, and Hasenkamp is gone.

Glad I could be of help. If you'd be so kind as to let me out of here, I'll just be on my way.

I don't talk. I'm not a rat.

I know that. But sadly, your friend Blitz is. I'm not gonna kill you, Rosa. I won't even take your thumbs. But the Landenbergs' security... well, I can make no such promises about them.

Don't do this, Grinder.

They should be here any minute. Enjoy.

[Meat Grinder turns to leave, the plastic box cradled in his arms. Hasenkamp's body lies cooling on the ground.]

I'm gonna give you one more chance to open that door and let me out of here.

Oh yeah?

[His doughy face contorts itself into a grin.]

And what'll you do if I don't?

[Push the button.] This.

Still satisfying the second time.

Go ahead.

First off: I told you so.

Yeah, you did. Sorry.

Secondly: I think that I can get you out of there, but it's gonna take some time. And you've got a bunch more physical security incoming. Thankfully, I still have control of those turrets, so that should make this a piece of--

Think we already know where this is going.

...Blitz?

Great.

This timeline also finds us accosted by a group of Landenberg thugs, but this time we're on our own for obvious reasons. The Enforcer is missing from the enemy lineup to balance things out some, but by my math one against three are still worse odds than two against four, especially since the 65 HP Captain and Grenadier are still around.

The Matrix fight against Plotz is identical except for whatever reason the node controls are reversed from before, with Blitz controlling the ones on the right and Plotz the ones on the left. This time around Plotz also got the first turn, which made things a bit more annoying.

The meat space strategy is unchanged from before, but if you were playing a worse solo class like a Shaman then this could get pretty hairy. The turrets are obviously nice and arguably necessary for less capable combatants, but they have a hard time punching through heavier armor like the Captain's, doubly so when the target is behind cover.

Eventually Plotz goes down like the poor excuse of a cyberwarrior he is, but this time he leaves something behind for Blitz to pick up.

A digital avatar dropping a program like a piece of loot is a new one, but I'm sure it makes sense in-universe. An unmistakable aura of a consolation prize can be felt around this piece of Schrödinger's software.

A second group follows the first just like before, getting greeted the same way by the enthusiastic turrets. This bunch is missing the Captain who was there the last time which is quite welcome.

We deal with them the usual way. While it may not otherwise reflect reality, Leyline-boosted fire burns just as hot in the Non-Canon Zone.

Bad news, Blitz. That Mystery Box of yours is no more.

It's nice that you don't have to walk away with nothing even if you didn't manage to do this mission the "right" way. You always get either the mystery box or the program, though never both.

Yeah, sounds wiz. Oh, and Blitz...?

Yeah, chief?

When I get home, we're going to have a talk about your planning abilities.

Um. Okay. Sounds... sounds good.

And so this chain of betrayals has reached its inevitable end, all that scheming and subterfuge earning these two nothing but early graves. A tale as common as dirt, here in the shadows.

Now what if we just saved ourselves all that trouble and went for a more pre-emptive approach?

[Push the button.] Blitz is my friend. I trust his word over yours, Hasenkamp.

His line's slightly different if you take this path after already having figured out what's really going on:

quote:

Great. Now I've got to kill you *and* Grinder. What a god damned waste of time.

You're going to die, Hasenkamp. Blitz, you may fire when rea--

[Blitz's voice crackles in over your commlink.]

Uh, chief? There’s somebody in here with me… hey! Get away from that!

Aw, hell.

We know how this goes. Plotz makes his appearance, gets cyberbullied out of his own system and Blitz takes control of the turrets. Plotz also drops the program which bodes ill for poor innocent box whose only crime was being in the wrong safe at the wrong time.

The major difference between this and the previous path is that neither Meat Grinder nor the Landenberg goons make an appearance. Instead the climactic battle will be a one-on-one fight against Hasenkamp, who for some reason has gotten extra HP but lost all his armor during his transition to villainhood. Can you sense a duel for the ages brewing, a clash of the titans, history in the making?

Well I sure hope not because Hasenkamp's odds at beating us in single combat are about the same as, well, an accountant's when going against a powerful mage. His role at this point is pretty much to provide an easy mode conclusion to this mission in case you can't handle the difficulty spike that is the Landenberg assault. What a fall from grace, guess the grandkids are going to have to make do with audiobooks from now on.

Otherwise the conclusion's the same as in the previous path, though I personally call bullshit on the box being destroyed by turret fire when its carrier went down before a single turret even got a turn. I guess this is also the only path where Blitz doesn't get to say "I told you so" which arguably makes for the best outcome of them all.

That covers the alternate conclusions to this particular run, we'll return to reality and go over the different rewards next time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 11, 2019

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
...Woah. That's a really solid amount of alternate pathways; never knew you could meet grinder (hee) on the alternate paths. The mission's pretty solid no matter what you do, it seems.

But I still think the canon path's the best. Criminal or not, I'd feel too bad about geeking a loving grandpa.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

resurgam40 posted:

...Woah. That's a really solid amount of alternate pathways; never knew you could meet grinder (hee) on the alternate paths. The mission's pretty solid no matter what you do, it seems.

But I still think the canon path's the best. Criminal or not, I'd feel too bad about geeking a loving grandpa.

It's pretty awesome getting to turret Meat Grinder into Swiss cheese, but Hasenkamp is definitely too cool to take a bullet like that (or get magicked to death). Also, the canon path suitably rewards all us Nosy Nancy RPGers who just have to dig in the trash. See, Hasenkamp? Our bin diving saved your life.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Well I may have finally killed the thread by posting an update, as was bound to happen eventually, but as you may have heard Lowtax has had a rough time and in order to avoid killing the man and this entire website with him as well, do consider throwing some money his way either via donating or his Patreon.

You can also consider this an entirely selfish request because should we pit the two against each other in a race, this LP probably won't be beating this website to the finish line if the latter decides to really go for it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Aww man, poor Lowtax. Glad I bought a new Av recently.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

Aww man, poor Lowtax. Glad I bought a new Av recently.

Maybe we can fund him a giant metallic claw to replace his messed up left hand. You never really get a good look at Glory's in-game, but the art in the original title screen for Dragonfall (not Director's Cut) shows that they're indeed pretty wicked-looking.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Mar 13, 2019

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
You really get the "extremely old and obsolete" aspect of her ware in the picture, which doesn't come across ingame. Just look at the size of the elbows. :vince:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Yeah, I also wouldn't bother trying to put anything more than a tube top on if I had to fit those giant scary metal arms through arm holes or sleeves.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Though one does have to wonder at the purpose of that jacket tied around her waist 90s style.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I think she is wearing a jumpsuit but as pants, so the upper part just hangs there.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Well that actually makes sense. There goes my snark.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

So meat grinder had a portrait hidden in one of the endings to the quest, huh.

I was pretty thorough in exploring the original Dragonfall DLC but I only played the Director's Cut once and didn't do much reloading to try other things out, so I'm looking forward to finding out Dietrich grows his hair back in the routes I didn't take or whatever.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I enjoyed the route where Eiger removes her troll costume to reveal she was actually Harlequin on stilts.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
is that actually something harlequin could or would do

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Could: He doesn't really have many meaningful limitations of ability.

Would: ... I wouldn't put it past him.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Harlequin didn't get stats for the longest time simply because if he did some munchkin would figure out a way to take him out. Instead, he was just arbitrarily as strong/talented as he needed to be to take on anyone in any of his areas of expertise (which is MANY areas).

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

Could? Yes. Would? Only if he thought in necessary to advance one of his many multi-millenia plans and/or he thought it would be funny.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Have the designers ever given a range for how many shadow runners there are and how much influence they have?

The impression I get is that every research project gets stolen at least five times, then it starts limited production and it gets stolen another four times as megas slowly ramp mass production until the technology is understood enough that's no one's afraid of it being the next big thing and they just buy it from the last company that stole it as it is cheaper than trying to steal it again and making it themselves.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
That's pretty much how it is, yeah. More often it's data and experts getting stolen rather than the projects themselves.

And yeah they never deliberately say how many shadow operatives exist globally or within a general area. The number would fluctuate wildly based on who you are willing to count anyway.

When GMing my rule of thumb for a Seattle sized sprawl is "(tens of) thousands of amateurs, hundreds of professionals". Amateurs are common enough to throw endless amounts of them at a problem without them being totally everyday people, and pros are rare enough to be known by personal reputation and common enough to be considered fully expendable.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Runners really ought to form a union.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Monocled Falcon posted:

Have the designers ever given a range for how many shadow runners there are and how much influence they have?

The impression I get is that every research project gets stolen at least five times, then it starts limited production and it gets stolen another four times as megas slowly ramp mass production until the technology is understood enough that's no one's afraid of it being the next big thing and they just buy it from the last company that stole it as it is cheaper than trying to steal it again and making it themselves.

Lol

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

Runners really ought to form a union.

Lol shadowrunners striking for better working conditions.

"What do we want?"

"To not get dicked over at the end of a run!"

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Fighting Trousers posted:

Lol shadowrunners striking for better working conditions.

"What do we want?"

"To not get dicked over at the end of a run!"

Knowing shadowrunners a "strike" would more likely be a MILITARY strike rather than a work stoppage. Though indirectly I suppose any company that went a little too all in on screwing runners would wind up finding nobody worth a drat willing to work with them for obvious reasons. One reason the "Johnson screws you over" plots should be used sparingly; megacorporations don't have morals but they do have cost/benefit analysis and anybody whose missions always end with "and then we betray and murder our contractors" gets noticed if only from the lack of people saying they could be worked with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah, "these guys habitually kill the people who work for them", is the kind of scuttlebutt that makes its way around pretty quickly. And if you can't hire runners as a Johnson then you're completely useless to your employers. Which might get you killed or, even worse, reassigned to sales.