Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Part 12 - The Great Plot Dump of 2054

Right, here we go. We went through a lot of trouble, not to mention a lot of people, to get these DVDs. Let's hope our end reward won't be a glimpse into Winters' private hentai collection.

The main menu shows 6 tracks to choose from. We're gonna be here for a bit, so grab a drink and get comfortable.

We'll start from the top, selecting 'Track 1'.

2034, from exactly 20 years ago.

Alright, maybe we are on the right track here. Vauclair was the "dragonslayer" who brought down the Firewing with the help of the Luftwaffe in 2012.

This whole "the murderous dragon isn't dead" -thing is not a promising start though.

[The screen clears, and the excited face is closer to the screen than it was before. The words spill out of him in a breathless tide.]

...Taking a team into the SOX to retrieve her, the radiation be damned. We will take appropriate precautions, of course, but we must go! Hermie... I think that the body may be nearby as well. Somehow, it - *she* - has survived, for all of this time...

Student protests, civil uprising... you'll be in the middle of it, I'm sure. Just stay safe, all right? And I'll do my best to do the same. I don't know what's going to happen when I step into the SOX. But I do know one thing... if the Firewing is still a danger, I *will* put an end to her. Once and for all.

[The display goes black, and the background whine fades away. A moment later, you find yourself deposited back at the menu screen.]

So in summary, Vauclair headed back into the irradiated SOX 20 years ago, believing that the Firewing was still alive in there 22 years after Dragonfall. That's some serious dedication to your job. Interesting, though not particularly helpful to us by itself. Let's try the next one.

Dr. Adrian Vauclair. The hero of the people. The Dragonslayer. My brother.

[He grimaces and rubs his eyes.]

Hard to believe it's been almost twenty years. All right. So, I'm gonna start recording these DVDs again... for me, for Adrian, for whoever might wind up watching 'em.

So, our client was the famous dragonslayer's brother who'd spent two decades trying to locate Vauclair after his SOX expedition with no success. A search which seemed to have taken its toll on the man. The pieces are starting to add up, but how do they connect?

Christ. Twenty years. All this time, and still, no leads. Even with all of my contacts, and my resources...

[He takes another long swallow of cheap liquor.]

...Even with my "legendary bullheadedness," I've made no progress at all. I haven't turned up a single god damned thing.

[He upends the bottle. Drains it. Slams it back down to the table. His eyes are rimmed with red.]

Not much of a rumor, considering. I already *know* that you're gone, big brother. I live with that every day.

[Abruptly, Winters leans forward and reaches for something off-screen. The display goes black. A few seconds later, the main menu returns.]

Pretty heavy burden to carry for two full decades. Uncertainty about a loved one's fate can definitely mess you up worse than knowing for sure that they're dead, and Winters was a prime example of that.

In any case, Track 3 is a go.

It's roughly mid-November right now, so this is from only a month back.

Stumbled upon this archival footage of Feuerschwinge's original attack. Months before the Dragonfall. Easy to forget how devastating it was... Adrian saved a lot of people by bringing her down. I've got the footage all cued up to play... starting it now. Additional comments to follow.

[The slow whir of the DVD player shifts to a high-pitched whine. A distorted, wavering image blooms into being on the screen. A time stamp in the upper right corner of the screen marks the date: July 6, 2012.]

Duty above all! No wait, I'm thinking of someone else again...

We are joined tonight by a survivor of this latest - and most horrifying - attack.

[The reporter turns to face a pale man standing behind him.]

Sir, I understand that you've been through a terrible ordeal... thanks for taking the time to speak with us tonight.

Guy looks pretty pumped to have a camera shoved in his face right after having his hometown burned down.

If you could, sir... could you please tell the people at home about your experience of the attack?

It... it was horrible. Just pure... pure chaos. So many people are dead. People I knew. Roasted alive, or trampled to death trying to escape. My own house was burned to the ground during the attack. My family... we have nothing now.

You all made it through the attack, though? Your wife, your kids...?

How long were you holed up in there?

Three, maybe four hours? I dunno. We just stayed inside until the heat died down and the screaming stopped.

And what happened after that?

When it was over - you know, when the air cooled down...

[The reporter nods, and the man continues.]

...We stepped outside. There was nothing left. Just smoldering wreckage, and this dense cloud of black, oily smoke. And the stench in the air... God, that smell. It smelled like roasting meat.

[There is a long pause. From the tortured look on his face, you can tell that the man is struggling to decide whether or not to continue speaking. Eventually, he does.]

Getting the kids started on the mental scarring early. Hope they at least didn't pay her up front.

I just couldn't bring myself to open that door. I couldn't risk my family like that. Not for her. Not for anyone.

Thank you, sir, for taking the time to speak with us.

Yeah.

You heard it here, an absolutely chilling account of tonight's attack. Again, the town of Stolberg has been reduced to ash, another victim of the Firewing. Stay with us for more up-to-the-minute reporting on Feuerschwinge's reign of terror.

Nowadays all kinds of weird supernatural stuff messing up one place or another is par for the course, but a dragon attack in 2012 would've been a hell of a thing to wake up to.

[The screen abruptly goes black as the video cuts off. A few moments later, you find yourself returned to the Menu screen.]

Let's. On to Track 4.

Well, that was a bust. Little progress on Feuerschwinge, either.

[He shakes his head.]

I dunno. It's weird... the information is there, it's just... *wrong,* somehow. It's too well laid out, too simple. Real life is messy, and this feels just a little too... neat.

[Winters' image disappears. The display goes black. A few seconds later, the main menu returns.]

That was a little thin, but it's probably safe to assume that changing his focus on the dragon instead of his brother was the beginning of the end for Winters. This was recorded only a couple of weeks ago.

Track 5.

November 9th, a mere day before our expedition to the Mansion of Murder.

There are ghost stories spreading around the decker community. Stories about deckers disappearing, and then showing up again later, but... *wrong,* somehow. Scary stuff, and I'm starting to think that it's true.

[Blitz leans in for a whisper.]

I know the stories he's talkin' about, chief. Never really put much stock 'em... not until now.

Another mystery piece. Deckers disappearing we've seen pretty drat concrete evidence of, but there's no coming back from that.

That's a bit of a leap.

If what Tolstoi told me was true, Hellebore live-posted the event. She described her killer, this great big ork with skin grafts. Then the whole thread disappeared. Gone without a trace.

This just keeps getting better and better.

"Leap," Eiger love? Sounds like he's on the right track to me.

[Eiger holds her silence, but concedes the point with a small nod.]

She's covering her tracks. Working the shadows. Preparing to rise again. And that means that I *have* to find you, Adrian... for everyone's sake. Thankfully, I've got a lead. For the first time in two decades, I've got a solid goddamned lead.

Not hard to guess where those coordinates pointed to.

So now, I've got a target. A place to start digging. The "Harfeld Manor," conveniently located on an isolated stretch of countryside, miles away from prying eyes. Matrix records indicate that some sort of data vault exists beneath the estate, so that's what I need to get into.

...And this is where we came in.

[As if on cue, a familiar image winks onto the monitor to Winters' left. Monika.]

I think I'm gonna tap Schäfer for this job. She's got the skills to bypass whatever security they're running out there, and she's gullible enough to take the job in the first place. I'll feed her some line about Flux State security, and she'll eat it up with a spoon.

Winters was clearly a mess and kind of a cold bastard to boot, but he wasn't an idiot. He had Monika completely figured out as well.

[On the display, Winters' mouth parts into a broad grin.]

Time to put plans into motion. By this time tomorrow night I should have the information that I need. And on the off-chance that Schäfer gets taken out, well... that'll tell me something, too. Can't make an omelet, and all that. ...Until then.

[Winters' image disappears. The display goes black. A few seconds later, the main menu returns.]

Only one more track to go.

Okay. Okay okay okay. Back up, slow down. Start from the beginning.

[Winters closes his eyes and makes a visible effort to calm himself. When he speaks again, his voice is steady.]

Got the call from my contact in the Kreuzbasar. Schäfer killed on the estate run. Matrix security at the estate cooked her brain.

Well, I won't go down without a fight. I've still got my contacts... still got my connections. And the Flux-State can be a hell of a weapon for the man who knows how to manipulate it.

[Winters takes another long pull from his glass, grimaces, and swallows.]

Time for me to make my play. Ghost stories or no, missing deckers or no, I've gotta jack into the Matrix and start pulling strings. The countermeasures that I installed earlier should be more than enough to keep me safe for the twenty minutes I'll be in there.

Hindsight's a real son of a bitch, ain't it. Though looking back is probably easier when yours is broken, you can just sort of bend backwards.

[He drains the rest of the glass, then tosses it back over his shoulder. A moment later you hear the dull clattering sound of hard plastic on linoleum.]

Schäfer's death was tragic. She was a staunch supporter of the F-State. But still, all things considered...

Famous last words. And if we don't figure out a way to get out of this mess he got us into, we're gonna have to start coming up with our own pretty soon.

[Blitz whispers into your ear again, more harshly this time.]

What the hell is this? Why didn't you warn me about this before I came here?

We didn't know... not exactly.

Alternatively

quote:

Hey, everybody! Blitz is scared!

We're all scared, you idiot.

Not *exactly?* I didn't come here to get hunted by a dragon! I'm not even a part of this!

You are now, whether you like it or not. So quiet down and stop bothering her.

You've SEEN what happens to people who get too close to this. I'm dead, and dozens of others have died. YOU'LL BE NEXT unless you can FIND ADRIAN.

[The screen cuts back to static. The message is over. The DVD tray slides out of the reader.]

Well, we're probably hosed.

A dragon. Son of a bitch. Green Winters sent us up against a dragon.

I'm really starting to regret the fact that I didn't just stay at the hotel.

Wait a second. We don't know for certain...

[The room falls silent. Eiger and Glory exchange glances. After a moment, Dietrich continues.]

Just think about it. The decker that Winters got those coordinates from was posting about Feuerschwinge. Then she was killed by that same orkish bastard that attacked us after Monika died. That's a direct link between the dragon, the scarred ork, and the Harfeld Manor.

...and then Winters was killed by the same thing that killed Monika.

That "thing" remains a question mark, surely Firewing herself can't be eating people in cyberspace. Guess if anyone would have the resources to create such extraordinary defense measures it'd be a Great Dragon, but these particular measures don't even seem content on sticking to just defending.

Exactly. My gut tells me that the dragon is down there, Rosa... someplace far beneath the surface. I think that we knocked on the door to her lair without even knowin' it. And I think that, given what we've seen, the dragon will do whatever it takes to keep us quiet about it.

Man, modern dragon lairs suck. Whatever happened to classic moat tentacles and black knight dance floors?

Okay. Going on the assumption that there *is* a dragon, and that she *will* come after us... what do you propose that we do about it?

I'll tell you what we're going to do. We're going to follow Winters' advice. We're gonna find Vauclair.

Yes... Rosa is right. Finding Dr. Vauclair should be our priority. If we're going up against a dragon, we need to find ourselves a dragonslayer.

Winters spent twenty years searching for Vauclair, and it got him nowhere. How do you propose that we find him?

With the help of an information broker.

I'll go talk to Altuğ, then.

[Blitz scoffs.] Alice? Best of luck... and I hope that you're rich.

[Amsel raises an eyebrow.] For this? Rich enough... even if only just.

Who is this "Alice"?

[The console spits out a stick of black plastic. Amsel plucks it from the computer and hands it to you.]

Here. Your key to speak with Alice.

A credstick?

[Amsel nods.] An encoded credstick, yes. 10,000 nuyen. Alice will not show her face for less. This represents the last of my personal savings, Rosa. Make this meeting count.

10,000 nuyen? Just to talk to her?

Boy are we in the wrong business.

[He nods again.] Her standard fee. Alice is in a position to ask it, and we're in no position to argue.

Just like I said. Why doesn't anyone listen to me?

So where do I need to go?

Don't call it that in front of her, though. Word on the street is that she hates it.

Please hurry. While you're out, I will work on acquiring new contracts for the team. Alice is the best there is at what she does, and her services carry a price tag to match.

Well, no time like the present. There's some new bits of dialogue in the Kreuzbasar, but we'll get to that later. Instead we make our way directly to the U-Bahn station.

We board the train from the usual place, and arrive a short while later.

The "Rabbit Hole" is actually a small arcade. Because nothing says fun and games like some dark corner of a German metro tunnel.

Bathroom floors are pretty much the treasure chest equivalent of Shadowrun. We actually found an auto-injector for Hyper before coming across the stuff itself, huh. Still not worth sacrificing precious inventory slots for though.

But we're not here for bathroom drugs, that's a hobby you can practice at home. This lit-up arcade machine is much more interesting.

Hopefully this is for paying Alice and we're not just gonna end up with forty thousand credits for Pac-Man.

[On the screen is a dimly-lit office. The place looks like it was pulled straight from an old detective movie, from the venetian blinds on the windows to the great swathes of shadow that paint the walls black.

Center-stage, sitting behind a large mahogany desk, is the silhouette of an impressive-looking woman in a charcoal-gray suit. The tip of a cigarette glows cherry-red in the shadows. She leans forward into the light, and you catch your first glimpse of Alice.]

I hear they make a pretty good shampoo for those pesky glowing hair tentacles, might want to look into that.

We're on your dime, friend. Tell me what you're looking for.

I need you to find someone for me. Dr. Adrian Vauclair.

[She raises an eyebrow.] The dragonslayer? Interesting. He's been missing for a long time.

Yes, he has. The question is, can you find him?

Deckers can interject here to speculate about Alice's identity:

quote:

Speaking of corpses, Alice... I think that I might know who you really are.

Oh?

[Alice leans forward. Her smile spreads into a predatory grin.]

Do tell.

There was a member of Echo Mirage named Alice. Alice Haeffner. She died back in 2029, fighting the Crash Virus. Rumor has it, she still exists in the Matrix. Still calls herself Alice, too.

You may recall one Johnny Clean who was also part of that team. Allegedly.

An interesting theory. But I fear that my price to confirm or deny it would fall well outside of your price range.

[Alice leans back in her chair.]

For now, let's get back to the business at hand.

Fifty thousand? I swear, if it next turns out Green Winters had a dead man's switch, Firewing can torch this whole city with us in it.

When I get my credstick, you get your information. This is the deal. Take it or leave it.

Price gouging, huh? For a neo-anarchist, you behave an awful lot like an old-world profiteer.

[She smiles sweetly.] I wasn't aware that there was a difference between the two.

Now, do we have a deal? Or don't we?

All right, Alice. It's a deal.

Okay. But remember: you say go, and I go. From that point on, you're on the hook to pay me my fee. No turning back. No refunds. Are we square on this?

I don't see what choice I have. I need that information.

Good. I'll be in touch.

So it once again comes down to trying to make a large sum of money, though this time nobody's even pretending that we'll get to keep it for ourselves. Time to return to Paul, though I'll let you skip the trip back.

Rosa. Did you make contact with Alice?

Yes, I did. She accepted your payment, and I ordered the search for the information we need.

Very good. I can't imagine that this will be cheap. What was Alice's stated price?

You're right on that count. 50,000 nuyen.

Actual, proper shadowrunning in your Shadowrun game? It's more likely than you think.

While you're working to earn Alice's fee, I will continue to dig for clues about Feuerschwinge. If she is, in fact, roosting under the Harfeld Manor, then there must be some evidence to support that fact. A dragon is a large thing to hide, after all.

Be careful, Paul. Remember what happened to Monika.

I will never forget. Don't worry, Rosa. I'm going to conduct my investigation the old fashioned way... through contacts, and deduction, and careful observation. I will not jack in to the Matrix until this entire sorry episode is finished.

That's probably wise.

That's right, we only saw the contents of one of the DVDs. Maybe we'll bump into that hentai collection yet.

Finally, I have been checking up on our friend... the ork with the skin grafts. I haven't heard anything back yet, but I'll keep you appraised as the situation develops.

Sounds good, Paul. I'll go check up on those jobs.

One last thing before you go, Rosa. Samuel Beckenbauer wanted me to pass a message to you. Do you know him? The ork who runs the shelter across the way?

Yeah, we've met.

Ah. Well, he has a job for you... he wouldn't discuss it with me, but he promised that it would prove worth your time.

I'll keep it in mind.

That was kind of a lot to digest, so we'll cut it here.

Next time: Job hunting! Actually starting the main part of the game 4 months into the LP! Please look forward to it.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
On my playthrough, I was going with a female elven mage named Alice. That led to some momentary confusion, let me tell you.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Kanfy posted:

Well, we're probably hosed.

Yeah, that about sums it up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Well, it's not like the dragon knows where you live, right? :downs:

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
No where to go but up right?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
This was probably the part I dug most about the game: needing to take odd jobs and contracts to pay for what you really needed to complete your quest.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Beckenbauer's job is fun, but I suppose that you have some things to take care of first.
Watch this thread new people, it's a lot better written than DMS's jobs.

E: also who could have known that Iggy the brain dead decker would come out of his coma and sacrifice himself to stop the Martian demonic invasion!

By popular demand fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 6, 2018

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How come the dvds are in such terrible shape if they are so recent? He managed to burn data to them just a day earlier, didn't he?

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Poil posted:

How come the dvds are in such terrible shape if they are so recent? He managed to burn data to them just a day earlier, didn't he?

That was probably the only one anywhere near viewable condition. Makes me wonder how the heck he stored this crap.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Contrary to popular belief discs are actually very vulnerable to the elements,
Especially moisture. Google disc rot to find out more!:themoreyouknow:

It's actually surprising how much information you get from these DVD's.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also, he says that he'll "start recording these DVDs again". So while some of the recordings on them are recent, the discs themselves are decades old by this point. Nobody has used that technology in a long time.

Plus when they were recorded on varies quite a bit between each disc.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Alacron posted:

No where to go but up right?

Up, yeah. Up in flames.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
You'd think a man that dedicated would think to pick up some jewel cases.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He lived in a dank hotel in the loving drug pit, and seriously neglected his health.
The gang was lucky to actually find repairable discs and not inert pieces of plastic.

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

Contrary to popular belief discs are actually very vulnerable to the elements,
Especially moisture. Google disc rot to find out more!:themoreyouknow:

It's actually surprising how much information you get from these DVD's.

Hell, the actual data layer erodes after a few years even under good storage conditions just from general exposure to air(humidity) and light(temperature). Optical discs are not meant as long term data storage. Living in a filthy goon cave certainly did not help matters.

But is guess it safer than uploading your government conspiracy to google cloud.
Eh, who am i kidding? I bet he would have posted in GBS.

OutofSight fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 6, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

It's of course entirely possible that Adrian was the wise one and had a stack of archival quality discs that should last for decades and Green Winters was a disgusting goon who caused the degradation by neglect.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So they were ruined by soy-cheeto stained fingers grabbing the underside of the discs? I could see that happening.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
So I take it Green Winters' real name is Herman Vauclair, then?

Also the line about the dragon eating people in cyberspace made me wonder; are dragons any more or less powerful than regular metahumans in the matrix? Are they more or less vulnerable to attack while in the matrix?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dragons have high mental stats so if they can use those while decking along with the kind of deck a dragon can afford... you would NOT want to run into one. But they would be vastly easier to deal with since they can't use their impossibly powerful physical power and magic. Still, game over man.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Poil posted:

Dragons have high mental stats so if they can use those while decking along with the kind of deck a dragon can afford... you would NOT want to run into one. But they would be vastly easier to deal with since they can't use their impossibly powerful physical power and magic. Still, game over man.

The idea of a team attempting to gank Lofwyr in cyberspace as he idly shitposts on Shadowlands just amused me.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

OutofSight posted:

Hell, the actual data layer erodes after a few years even under good storage conditions just from general exposure to air(humidity) and light(temperature). Optical discs are not meant as long term data storage. Living in a filthy goon cave certainly did not help matters.

But is guess it safer than uploading your government conspiracy to google cloud.

Eh, who am i kidding? I bet he would have posted in GBS.

Seeing as ole Hermie looks to be the gooniest goon who ever gooned, I'd say that's a safe bet.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The idea of a team attempting to gank Lofwyr in cyberspace as he idly shitposts on Shadowlands just amused me.

I feel like this team should probably have some pretty sick-rear end hardware, software and skills to actually physically kill him like this. Because if they don't and he just gets a feedback migraine or whatever.... hoooo boy.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

:smuggo: what's this? The best decker I know got her brain cooked by whatever network security the manor has? I'm certain that my pasty white rear end is completely safe in plugging in.
:smugissar:

Mr.Winters seems like the sort of man you dislike at first, but when you actually get to know him you start despising.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Poil posted:

Only if you get the fangs as cyberware. Because they have an accuracy of your physical limit -2 while the bio fangs have a fixed accuracy of 3 which makes them pretty much useless even on Joe Average Wageslave unless he's not aware of your attack. :shepface:
Which is really one of those things you can and should house-rule away, because there's really no kind of objective reason why one set of teeth should be arbitrarily more accurate than another. You're still biting people. With your mouth. IN THEIR FACE!

quote:

Again, the town of Stolberg has been reduced to ash, another victim of the Firewing.
Oh hey, I think I've been to that place. Passed through on the way to Aachen. Nice enough little town. Historic, but not really a whole lot of anything else.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Funny, for some reason I thought his name was Herman Winters, and "Green" was his handle. Of course its not, but it's funny to think.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lechtansi posted:

Funny, for some reason I thought his name was Herman Winters, and "Green" was his handle. Of course its not, but it's funny to think.

I'm sure the dystopia of Shadowrun still has legal name changes. And Hermie probably got real sick of people trying to talk to him about His Brother, The Amazing Dragonslayer right around the same time he became Hermie the Hermit.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A name change should be simple. Getting a complete sex change can apparently be done over a weekend if I remember correctly.

Cardiovorax posted:

Which is really one of those things you can and should house-rule away, because there's really no kind of objective reason why one set of teeth should be arbitrarily more accurate than another. You're still biting people. With your mouth. IN THEIR FACE!
Normal fangs used by vampires and ghouls and so on use their physical limit as accuracy so there's even a third rule for it. Oh and if you play a minotaur (troll variant native to Greece) you get larger horns you can use to gore with which use the exotic melee skill. You can also get them as bioware but then they use the regular unarmed skill so minotaurs who wish to use them for combat should, by RAW, seriously consider replacing their horns with identical ones that use a better skill.

:suicide:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

FASA games: if at first you don't succeed add another layer of complexity.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There is only one known post from Lofwyr anywhere on Shadowlands. Two younger dragons got into a spat talking about man, gently caress Dunkelzahn. (he's the dragon with a talk show Monika wanted to watch. canon timeline wise, he's gonna run for president of the United Canadian and American States a few years from now, get elected, and also promptly get assassinated.) And after the thread has gone on for a bit of dragons getting snippy at each other as only dragons can, XuY3YTdgQq@admin.sk.de posted "you two idiots have given away more in ten minutes than he did in years of that insipid talk show. shut up."

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Poil posted:

Normal fangs used by vampires and ghouls and so on use their physical limit as accuracy so there's even a third rule for it.
I'd give those a free pass because they've probably got, I don't know, bitey instincts? Something that makes them better at it not by virtue of their teeth but by their magical undeadness. Otherwise, it really can get silly, though. It's one of those things where the writers keep coming up with rules for the same thing independently over and over, but never bother to communicate enough so that it's actually consistent in a way that makes real sense.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 6, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ze Pollack posted:

There is only one known post from Lofwyr anywhere on Shadowlands. Two younger dragons got into a spat talking about man, gently caress Dunkelzahn. (he's the dragon with a talk show Monika wanted to watch. canon timeline wise, he's gonna run for president of the United Canadian and American States a few years from now, get elected, and also promptly get assassinated.) And after the thread has gone on for a bit of dragons getting snippy at each other as only dragons can, XuY3YTdgQq@admin.sk.de posted "you two idiots have given away more in ten minutes than he did in years of that insipid talk show. shut up."

So what you're saying is you have to kill the lurker

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Ze Pollack posted:

Key word being "known". There's always going to be rumors that Lofwyr is lurking around in a number of assumed aliases as a troll, in the same way Harlequin does.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Lofwyr has whole teams of criminal analysis people trawling all the shadowrunner communities constantly, partly because he wants to know when people are going to hit one of his facilities, partly to find out who did and was dumb enough to brag about it, and partly to scout recruits.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

IMJack posted:

Has anyone mentioned how silly the Prescott illustrations for these books are?

I'm the pensive look of the skull crotchplate.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

KataraniSword posted:

Key word being "known". There's always going to be rumors that Lofwyr is lurking around in a number of assumed aliases as a troll, in the same way Harlequin does.

So what your saying is that he's basically the Shadowrun equivalent of Derek Smart.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Lechtansi posted:

So what your saying is that he's basically the Shadowrun equivalent of Derek Smart.

Derek Smart and Dieter Zetsche rolled into one, maybe.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

KataraniSword posted:

Harlequin strikes me as the type to argue with himself for pages and page just for giggles.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
There's another little bit of stupendous attention to detail there. Tolstoi is a regular Berlin Shadowtalk contributor in the german-exclusive sourcebooks.

Magni fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 6, 2018

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Magni posted:

There's another little bit of stupendous attention to detail there. Tolstoi is a regular Berlin Shadowtalk contributor in the german-exclusive sourcebooks.

Now that is a value post, I'd miss this completely.
Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Poil posted:

Dragons can't really access the Matrix directly. A neural interface for a metahuman doesn't work for dragon physiology, and designing a DNI for a dragon would require someone getting a good look at a dragon's brain. Living dragons aren't gonna go for that, and they're going to make sure there aren't any dead dragons available for research.

A dragon can either use an old-fashioned screen display with a keyboard and mouse/joystick (how quaint!) or they can ride backseat with a metahuman decker. Either way their gear would be state-of-the-art, and a decker working directly for a dragon is going to be the hottest poo poo around. But dragon deckers aren't possible, at least not at this point.

Dunkelzahn leaves a bequest in his will (as of 2057) offering a prize for an efficient and effective Matrix connection for dragons and some animals with near-human intelligence. The prize is "the access codes to four Zurich-Orbital accounts and a personal visit from Lofwyr."