Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Man, you're quick.

I would think somebody that would go well would be a Female Human Mage called Feueralarm. First they wonder what the name is about, then they get it. Because they're on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

Not a smart move, Kleiner. We have a job to do, and hauling a great big vase around isn't part of it.

Something that tripped me up in this line - I don't think Dietrich would call Rosa "Kleiner", which is decidedly masculine. I don't remember what his nickname for the female MC was again, though, because I don't think it was "Kleine". Probably something involving "Liebe", though.

Then again, I might be completely remembering things wrong and he does use "Kleiner", though it doesn't make grammatical sense.

OAquinas posted:

Also, it must really suck to squeeze out one of those german ubercompoundwords in a death rattle.

At least "Feuerschwinge", i.E. "fire wing", is only two words put together. That's positively pedestrian by German compound standards.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I still had Glory figure heavily into my Very Hard endgame runs, primarily because I was playing a PhysAd, so having a second melee attacker around for focused attacks and the ability to heal the other one was quite invaluable, even if half the job description was "take some hits that would've gone to the MC otherwise". The large amount of medkits and DocWagon kits she brings with her are also very welcome.

Dietrich was much more of an odd man out for me - I basically never took him along.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

mauman posted:

Imma gonna go on a limb here and say that maybe we should keep Dragon Talk to a minimum in a game called Dragonfall :ohdear:

But what about Wyrm Talk?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Weissritter posted:

I am curious, what if Monika had a doc wagon platinum contract or whatever the equivalent is? Will a Doc Wagon team suddenly bust in to try and rescue their client?

From what I'm reading (my main source being the "Shadowiki", a German-language Shadowrun wiki which has a ton of information, especially for stuff relating to Germany - which will come in very handy for this game, I'd figure), BuMoNa (Bund für den Mobilen Notfallarzteinsatz, or basically "Association for Mobile Emergency Medical Services") will try to get you out of anywhere that isn't extraterritorial or corp territory if you have their High Threat Response package. So yeah, if the mansion isn't extraterritorial, they'd try to get in there and get her out, since if the mansion is corp territory (which honestly is quite likely - but that's just because it's Shadowrun and if it's some sort of secret lab like thing, odds of a corp being involved are very high... well, that or a dragon, I guess) it's not open corp territory, so there'd be no way for BuMoNa to know it's corp territory.

Fun fact! BuMoNa, DocWagon and Careline (a company from the UK that does more of the same) actually have agreements with each other that allow people to take advantage of their services if they have contracts with a member of the agreement. So if you're a runner based out of Seattle with a DocWagon contract, but find yourself in Germany for a run, you can actually call BuMoNa and use your DocWagon contract.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You know, I've always been a bit confused about exactly who the hell we are. Apparently we're a rookie on Monika's "new" team, haven't been around for long and are catching poo poo from Eiger for not being experienced, but we're also Monika's ace from her "old" team, hand-picked as a successor, and I guess she apparently never thought it necessary to establish to Eiger that we know our poo poo as a runner? You know, that might have helped at some point in time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Xander77 posted:

You probably don't need "more" that badly.

There are plenty of user made campaigns, some of them quite good. Recommend those instead for anyone who hasn't had enough after finishing all three games.

Yeah, there's some really fun user made campaigns that have basically more than doubled the time of enjoyment I've gotten out of the HBS Shadowrun games. My favorites are the CalFree campaigns by cirion. I loved both "Antumbra Saga" and "The Caldecott Caper", and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the latest one, "CalFree in Chains", as well. Great stuff.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

All those different ways to solve problems makes it all the more satisfying to just go "FUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOOOU" and go in guns blazing every single time, drat the consequences. Especially after having already done a diplomatic-type run.

EDIT: And yeah, I've had my share of problems with Eiger's dead zone. There's one run coming up which has encounters that seem perfectly set up to gently caress with her - enough cover that you don't want to go really close, but too enclosed to get far away.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Glazius posted:

Oh gently caress. Whatever killed Monika... did that let it out into the Matrix proper?

Probably not. I can't imagine a way having a decker jack into a particular joint in the Matrix would allow some sort of... virus thing (?) to get out into the Matrix proper. Though, I guess that security system was probably running in a PLTG (Private Local Telecommunication Grid, basically a local locked-off area of the Matrix blocked off by IC), so maybe Monika broke some sort of IC that was actually not designed for keeping deckers out, but rather something in? Hm.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 19, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, pure shooting is the way to go for dealing death and not caring about missing dialogue and extra options due to lack of Charisma. Just boost the poo poo out of that Ranged Combat, throw in some Body for extra tankiness, chrome yourself up to the gills and go to town.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

You just gotta have that face character. And in RPG computer games, you can't really have an NPC party member be the face, since that would probably annoy people (though I think it might be interesting in a sort of "subverting expectations" kind of way), so either the PC is the face, or nobody is the face and you go full murderhobo.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OutofSight posted:

Imagine Mark Zuckerberg would stay forever looking like twentysomething. But he has a sweet chrome-arm with wifi port = gps tracking for instant facebook access.(like the corp form Deus Ex: Human Revolution) And he wants to cut everone's limbs and replace them with sweet facebook arms, too.

Time to get my old SR books from the attic and work on a campaign...

I mean, Peter Thiel and the whole story about transfusing blood of younger people into himself to live longer is right there, too. That's some Azzie poo poo in the making right there.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I really like this run for several reasons, primarily because of the humanization of the Knight Errant guards and the corporate folks like the ork and the couple buying skillsofts for their son. Like, even that couple seems snobby and uppity, but the man does show some degree of regret for talking like a prick. It's a very small thing, but it's just enough. Like others said, it can be very easy to forget the human element when it comes to runs, be it with guards you mow down, or office clerks whose lives you ruin by breaking into their office and rifling through their poo poo, turning them into a security liability that is immediately terminated. And a lot of moral quandaries in Shadowrun fall completely flat if you forget about that element - you never really stop to think just how many lives you ruin in the average run, even discounting those you murder directly.

This run, amongst others, also shows that the most powerful Etiquette would be one that isn't in the game at all - "Wageslave". You can talk Corporate, Academic and whatnot, and get far, but if you really want to talk your way through some dirty runs, being able to speak the wageslave language is the most powerful tool of them all. Because no matter what we're talking in Shadowrun - somewhere, there's wageslaves running it.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Yeah, I remember that run. For some reason, on the way out, James kept being in the way of my mage's AoE fireball spells and eventually burnt to a crisp. Damndest thing, that. What a tragic accident.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I don't know, I don't think you'd have to be a complete rear end in a top hat to at least take that second dialogue path. If I were playing as, say, a Troll who has already lost somebody important to them because of Humanis, or maybe even barely escaped an encounter with them alive, I might have some reservations about giving one of them a second chance because even though he associates with murderous human supremacists that would murder me and everybody like me without a second thought, he's totally not a bad guy, just trust my gut feeling here.

If there's a list groups that taking an absolute zero-tolerance stance against is justified, Humanis is definitely competing for the top spot on that list.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

KataraniSword posted:

True, but there's also the "go gently caress yourself" option before he even asks and... why would you do that to Deitrich, he's a bro.

Yeah, that's why I specified that I meant the second dialogue path of those two. The first one is just being a prick, even if you are super committed to a chain of command where the one in charge makes the calls and the others follow, kind of like Eiger on steroids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

OutofSight posted:

I don't think Umberto Eco and fascists go well together, buddy.

That smiley is quoting from this essay on fascism by Eco from 1995.

EDIT:

quote:

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the enemies are at the same time too strong and too weak. Fascist governments are condemned to lose wars because they are constitutionally incapable of objectively evaluating the force of the enemy.