Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Male Troll Mage named Armstrong. Muscle wizard!

I like this plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GhostStalker posted:

Berlin is almost always the second most popular Shadowrun locale after Seattle, for whatever reason. Germany was a huge market for Shadowrun, dunno which was the cause of the other.

I see what you did there.

I didn't get this game until Director's Cut came out and it went on sale on Steam, and I was not disappointed at all, it was leaps and bounds better than DMS. Looking forward to you getting through this game too.

Germany was a huge market for Shadowrun since punk/cyberpunk was huge there in the 80's/90's for obvious reasons, and boardgames/tabletops have always been really popular there. I think selling well in Germany led to FASA producing a lot of material centered around Germany/Berlin. Which, in turn, encouraged both German and non-German players to run campaigns there.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The choice between, "Done with this poo poo" and :smug:.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I figured it was something like that.

I remember thinking that there was a lot of the "future of the 80s" stuff about Germany that was written into canon during the early years, Berlin especially, when I read the 3rd Ed fluff just getting into the game, and then things changed a lot regarding real life stuff during the intervening edition changes and the metaplot had to roll on to accommodate it.

If I recall correctly, it was popular enough that FASA's German publisher asked for and received permission to write their own original content. So there are (or at least were, this was 20 years ago during 2nd edition) official German language source books that never received English translations.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathChicken posted:

Also yeah, Dragonfall is my favorite of the trilogy, mainly just for the hub. Hong Kong finally gets to where they wanted to be mechanically, but I didn't care for the setting as much

Hong Kong is really good, but it didn't blow me away the way Dragonfall did. DF being such a massive improvement on DMS in pretty much every area. Hong Kong had some good refinements over DF, but it was more incremental than evolutionary.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Groetgaffel posted:

So, does "Glory's Armoured Vest" refer to her tiny black bandeau, or the pullover tied around her waist? :v:

Those arms are pretty loving rad though.

As cringe worthy as female armor is, Glory can honestly wear whatever the hell she pleases since she is clearly cybered to the gills and her entire upper body is almost certainly steel and composite ceramics.

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The artistic choice for monika's portraits was on the spot.

I like her overall design, but I'm not a fan of the boob window with giant collar.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

David Corbett posted:

So of all the new Shadowrun games, this is the only one I ever owned. (I think I actually picked up the other couple of them on Steam sale, but in any case this is the only one I ever played.) Having read and enjoyed Kanfy's excellent DMS LP, I now wonder if I should play this one myself rather than just follow it on the LP.

Due to my love of falling down wiki holes, I have been spoiled on some of the major story beats in this one anyway - so it's not like I'm going to miss anything not seeing it myself (except to the extent that it is perhaps better to see it in person). I got to about this far and then gave up due to my general lack of modern SR knowledge. I beat the SNES and Genesis games, but ... well, there's a big difference between winning one of those and one of these, yes?

What do you folks think?

Go ahead and play this yourself. Kanfy did an amazing job on DMS and will doubtless do so again, but nothing beats playing an RPG for yourself and picking your own choices and builds. This is actually set in the same general time period as the SNES and Genesis games so it should feel pretty familiar.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

wedgekree posted:

I liked the Genesis mechanics over the SNES ones, but that's more personal preference. SNES had by far better combat. But I liked the fact that Genesis had.. Well, it was all about Shadowruns.

Mechanically, the Genesis game was pretty faithful to 2nd edition rules.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

frankenfreak posted:

At least the SNES game added a twist of "the murder victim is ... YOU". :v:

All these years later, and I'm still kinda in awe at just how effect a hook that opening is.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Magni posted:

He's actually the first one to write a will. Normally the others just divide the hoard between them as they see fit if one of them dies.

Then Dunkie came across the custom and basically went "Wait, I can manipulate events and gently caress over people I don't like even after I died by doing this? How did none of us get this idea?"

If I recall correctly, the other dragons were all pretty salty about Dunkie breaking tradition and writing a will. Not salty enough that they didn't immediately collect their inheritance, but they did grumble about it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

GhostStalker posted:

In the tabletop, Elf Poser is a quality you can take at character creation for BP if you're a human. Forget if it's positive or negative, but I think since it gives you a boost on rolls to interact with elves (and other metas who happen to like them) until they find out you're just faking it, when your rep tanks, it should be a mix of both.

As far as I can remember, humans could take either elf poser or ork poser as 1 point negative trait. Conversely elves and orks could take human looking as a 1 point positive trait. Trolls and dwarves are just to different looking from humans these traits to work with them.

GhostStalker posted:

Dragonfall did a really good job with the atmospherics of the hub area here, way better than the Union in DMS. Kreuzbazar actually feels like a place that's lived in, with people whose stories you care about. The hub area in Hong Kong feels much the same too.

I was always amused that the safehouse in union was accessed by playing a certain tune on the piano, and then a secret passage would open... in the middle of a popular and frequently crowded club. It's the worst sort of secret, one that goes out of it's way to draw attention to itself. They could have just put a sign on a door that said VIP area and no one would be the wiser.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

habeasdorkus posted:

No one has said it yet, so I have to. Sam Beckenbauer is a goddamned FOX. :swoon:

In Shadowrun, if someone is a god drat fox, it may be literal.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Relax once you banish the turtle daemon possessing Jackson's chassis everything solves itself.
You even get a nifty discount card!

Christ, dude. Use some spoiler tags. Though honestly, I didn't realize there was another way to beat that mission aside from shutting Jackson down.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Siegkrow posted:

The REAL moral quandary is whether to punch them in the neck so they die painlessly or punch them in the groin and let them live like a half-man for the rest of their lives.

In a world of cyber and bioware, I'm sure that can be fixed.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

RedMagus posted:

As for Aljernon, I always figured he was some sort of spirit and was actually in all those different places at once. I guess once you becomes immersed in a certain fiction, you tend to shrug your shoulders and go "makes sense I guess".

This was my take. From what little we know about Aljernon, him being an extremely powerful Free Spirit seems most likely.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
I sort of assumed that getting your character in as a hire-able runner was a high level kickstarter reward, and their continued presence was more about that then actually being useful to the player. That and it being a legacy system from the first game.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Double Plus Undead posted:

If a game has to have a problem, "too many likeable party members" is a pretty good one.

The problem is that the one relatively unlikable party member is also the decker. Which mean you have to either miss out on a lot of content, bring him instead of someone you like better, or be a decker yourself.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Tylana posted:

Admittedly as a troll PhysAd I'm not sure how much money I spent anyway. Even if adept powers cost money. Which I forget if that's kind of against the tabletop rules or not. Spells can be bought and sold (and researched for cash) just like hardware and software. But I always got the feeling adepts were just meant to assign their magic score to powers and be stuck with it.

Yes and no. You didn't have to pay nuyen for powers in the character creation in the TT. Adepts used power point which started equal to your magic, 1 new power point costs 20 karma. However once the game was in progress, you had to spend money to actually assign your power points on new abilities. So, you had to either pay to maintain training facilities yourself or pay someone to train you when buying new powers (in addition to the karma costs of course). You also had to dedicate a suitable amount of downtime to learning as well, no just payng your money and boom instant new power. For really powerful stuff, GM's were advised to not let players buy for any amount of money, and instead do something like perform a favor for their sensei or whatever.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Monocled Falcon posted:

Wait, Blitz is the only new character and the replacement Decker? I was expecting more ceremony.

Eh, it's pretty much what happens. I'm a decker who needs a team, you have a team that needs a decker. Lets work together until we can't stand each other any longer or we die.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

RabidWeasel posted:

Don't Paradox have the rights to V:TM now? In that context and their partnership on Battletech it doesn't seem impossible!

Presumably Jordan Weisman wants to make games based on properties he created. Still holding out hope for something in Earthdawn.

Lechtansi posted:

Oh man, I just read this LP straight through and now i'm all excited about shadowrun again. I picked up the sourcebooks when i was like 14 and obsessed over them, even though I didn't have anyone to play with. I backed SR early and bought all of the games when they came out.

Unfortunately, I suck at turn based games and I don't know poo poo about actually succeeding in shadowrun. I got to the very last fight in SR and couldn't win, so i gave up. I got a few hours into DF and got into some battle I couldn't win so I gave up on it as well. This LP has inspired me to pick DF back up again, but this time i'm going to play on an easier difficulty mode and minmax to all hell.

Knowing that I can just read this LP for all the stuff I miss, whats the easiest, most min-maxy way to play? Like, I just wanna see the story and not get frustrated by the combat.

The final mission in DMS switch was really poorly designed, a lot of people got stuck like that. As for broken character, what kind of character do you want to play? There are a lot of ways to min-max. If you don't care, going with full auto assault rifles build is probably the most straight forward.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Lechtansi posted:

OK. If I just wanted to claw people in the face, what should i pick? Basically the opposite of what I previously played, which i assume is called the "Diplosniper". Super tanky, lots of in your face damage.

I say skip adept powers all together, and get a pair of hand razors. Not spurs, razors do ap damage which is awesome, but sightly less physical damage than spurs. That's fine, you won't even notice. Because you will be a troll with pumped strength, unarmed, and body. Cyber up as money allows. Rip people in half with your bare(razor)hands. This is how I did my first run through of Hong Kong, fun as hell and really simple to play. Particularly in the later part of the game when your damage snowballs insanely out of control.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Lone Badger posted:

Losing a limb doesn't reduce your Essence - your aura shrinks a bit, but remains fully intact.
Grafting a cyberarm to the stump does. A simple prosthetic like we have today wouldn't, but a proper one that interfaces with your nervous system and becomes 'you' disrupts your Pattern.

Not always, at least in old editions, a traumatic injury could permanently lower essence (depending on how you rolled on body). At which point you might as well get some cyber, since the essence cost is essentially already payed.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I know I tend to choose chrome over bioware even when the latter is more advantageous purely for style.

Same, bioware just doesn't have that late 80's flavor.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SOLarian posted:

are you talking about this one?

https://i.imgur.com/kedIXim.jpg

That's pretty good. I still prefer the story of the guy who drove his bike six times the speed of light, but this is a close second.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

That I didn't hear of, please link.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gametales/comments/1nbjhe/xpostshadowrun_everyone_is_dead_san_francisco_is/

Truly to most dangerous thing is the setting is poorly written rules.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving LOVE the Alice setup. It's basically the perfect excuse to have some ACTUAL shadowrunning in this game: you need a crap load of money to find the one person who can help you who has been missing for decades so get working. You can't give the "I am trying to save the world" excuse because there's something hunting those who knows too much. Heck, the person who you need to give a crap load of money to isn't even gouging you or anything: she even points out that she needs the money to pay off a LOT of OTHER people to find this guy.

This is where the game really starts getting good. Strap in lads.

I feel like you could try the "I got to save the world" bit, but she has heard it 3 times since Tuesday and "the price is the price, dammit! No discounts." One of the consequence to being set in our would, but a few decades later is that people are really jaded and likely to roll their eyes to someone pushing those sorts of claims.

All things considered, 50K is surprisingly cheap for what we are asking.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
If i recall, for awhile FASA hinted but never stated that a large number of significant historical figures (such as Leonardo da Vinci) were really immortal elves guiding humanity and enacting long running schemes. I think this was quietly dropped for being a stupid and unpopular plot idea.

Poil posted:

Do they taste good? Could you make a dragon egg omelette?

I can only imagine the special punishment reserved for a metahuman that eats dragon eggs.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

That goblinoid state is arguably the only moral ethnostate as they get awful treatment just about everywhere.

There is also a ghoul state, and ghouls get even worst treatment in that simply being a ghoul is punishable by death.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Stroth posted:

I mean they do have to eat fresh flesh from metahumans to stay alive. That is a thing.

That is blatant, indefensible slander. It doesn't need to be fresh.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Try not to kill them, they get plenty of bullshit already.

Arguably it's a mercy.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SOLarian posted:

So right now we have at least two LPs of different games with a James who is an rear end in a top hat and hates immigrants.

What's the other one?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Night10194 posted:

The most valuable thing in a spy's arsenal is 'Hey buddy, I forgot my keys, can you swipe me in?'

That's always a shadowrunner's plan A. When that fails then out come the assault rifles and laser axes.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

The Lone Badger posted:

In later editions you can hack people's brains (If they're foolish enough to connect it to the internet, which many people are). Achieve your social engineering goals by first installing a personafix on them!

This also happens at this point in the timeline, at least in the fluff. One of the megacorps (Fuchi maybe?) top level systems don't have black ice that kills through lethal biofeedback. Instead, the decker feels a little funny afterwards, but nothing to worry about. Shortly afterwards, they find themselves showing up at the nearest corp office confessing their crime, telling them everything they know, and volunteering to perform a suicide mission in penance.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathChicken posted:

Azzies also stand out as one of the corps who will respond to runners messing with them by hunting said runner down like a dog. Like, you might get away with stealing from Ares if they decide you didn't take enough stuff to justify what it would cost to track you down and kill you. Azzies are just vindictive, money be damned.

And being masters of blood magic, they are very, VERY, good at tracking.

The cost benefit of hunting down and brutalizing anyone who fucks with them, regardless of how much more it costs compared to the damages, is that many runners will not take an assignment against Azzies, period. And those that are willing to try ask for eye-watering pay days.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

IMJack posted:

As far as game mechanics go, the difference between mages, shamans, and whatever other tradition comes down to two things: what stat you roll to resist drain, and how you get services from spirits.

The drain thing is pretty straightforward. All magicians roll their Willpower and one other stat together to reduce drain. Mages and other "magic from the head" types roll their Logic. Witches and other "magic from the heart" types roll their Intuition. Shamans and others who believe magic comes from a power outside of them roll Charisma - the drain is a toll extracted for services performed, and the drain resistance check is a last minute attempt to negotiate the fee. :v:

How you get services from spirits depends on what you believe about spirits. Mages see spirits as tools, and like any tool they have to be prepared. They have to summon and bind spirits proactively, but then they can call upon their prepared spirits from anywhere. Shamans see the sprits inhabiting any place they go. They can contact the local spirits to make an ad hoc deal, but if they leave a spirit's domain, the spirit won't follow and any remaining deal is off. Most traditions do it one way or the other; a few traditions, like voodoo and hedge witchcraft, can only get services from spirits if they let the spirit possess them or a willing accomplice.

I say Dietrich is a hybrid because, though he has the trappings of a hermetic mage, he believes his magic is a gift from the Dragonslayer. Totems or mentor spirits used to be the exclusive domain of shamans in earlier editions, but now any magician can take a mentor spirit for the associated bonuses and roleplaying quirks. Whether you believe your totem/mentor works magic for you, gave you the gift of magic, or simply helped you realize your own potential, is part of your character.

One other thing, at least in older editions was a little squishier of a rule, and different groups could decide to use it and how much. Basically, since a shaman's totem embodied a particular set of ideals, GM's were encouraged to give bonuses and penalties to a shamans magical actions depending on how much they are embodying those particular ideals (subject to broad interpretation) So for example, Oak totem is about protecting the weak and helpless and so the GM might give an Oak shaman a fat bonus if he is trying to protect wageslaves from becoming collateral damage in a firefight. Conversely, Shark totem is about ruthlessness and the strong consuming the weak, a Shark shaman would get huge penalties for the same action.

In extreme cases, the GM could strip a shaman of their magic entirely if they piss their totem off enough (Oak shaman bombs an orphanage).

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Xander77 posted:

Because they eat other insect shamans in between eating humans?

Got it in one.

Mantis spirits are weird, they seem to desire nothing other than to hunt down and kill other insect spirits/shaman, but they still are summoned to the world in the same metahuman sacrificing manner as other insect spirits. They aren't really tolerated, but you could maybe temporary ally with them to take down a hive of a different type of insect spirit. I think they only really show up in places like Chicago, were their is already an abundance of prey.

Fun fact, Chicago turned into Bug City after Ares detonated at a nuclear bomb in at the site of a major infestation. There was a weird interaction between the nuclear explosion and insect magic which resulted in bugs overrunning the city. The event was called Cermak Blast after the street were the bomb was detonated. In real life Cermak street in Chicago was location FASA's headquarters. The entire bug city/insect spirit story line was a giant injoke about how lovely, and bug infected their rented office space was.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Stroth posted:

Chicago was mostly slum anyway, one nuclear crater wasn't that big of a difference. And at least radiation doesn't go hunt people down of its own volition.

Except when it does. Radioactive fallout can cause radioactive free spirits, the nastiest type of toxic spirit. Nuclear fire spirits are exactly as bad as the name implies.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, as dystopian as SR is, none of the megacorps or nations have gone full Gilead.* So modern birth control and such still exist and if anything have reached global saturation. So there's no baby boom to replace the 30% or so of folks who died off from the VITAS and the global population is still only 7-8 billion instead of 11 billion around the time of the most recent edition.

* I think, I could be wrong about this. I would be entirely unsurprised if I'm wrong.

Hell, I would be very surprised if Amazonia didn't have population controls in place. Given it's attitude towards it's metahuman population is "you can stay for now, but keep off the grass".

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Mezzanon posted:

I was chatting with a friend who worked for FASA and he says that story is only mostly true.

But you might have more deep insider connections than me, I don't know.

It was something a friend told me 20+ years ago, and I never thought to question it. Oh well, some stories are too good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

DeathChicken posted:

Also mermaids exist. They are closer to the old joke of a fish with the body of a human than a human with the body of a fish

They are awakened sea lions, and still lack opposable thumbs and real intelligence. They can be trained to perform tricks and tasks at roughly the level of dogs.

However, they do have enviable locks.