Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

V. Illych L. posted:

Female Human Mage named Rosa

If we go with Elf, I think that there's a fantastic character portrait to go with this name.

eta: otherwise tho this gets my vote.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Dec 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Charisma run is doable as a shaman but shamans are... eh...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

KillingPablo posted:

Uh, not knowing where this game is going, would it be spoilerly to ask about Aztechnology blood rituals? I only know some basics about the world, like that it used to be our world but then magic came back, hence the trolls and orcs? So what's up with the Aztecs (if it's not going to spoil anything)?

The only thing the authors knew about the historical Aztecs is that they practiced blood sacrifice, so now all of Mexico is the domain of a corporation that's also a neo-Aztec cult that kills people for magic power.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

2nd Edition or bust. :colbert:

Will no one say a kind word for 1st edition?

(I never played any edition other than 3rd)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Getting some mixed messages from that document full of deals to make with a dragon's estate.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

I love it, actually. It's such schmuck bait and plays against every instinct an RPG gamer has. And even better, we COMPLETELY fail to learn our lesson.

I knew it was a trap and opened it anyway, and still laughed. I have no regrets.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Killmonger, but a troll.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Maybe the real spoilers are the friends we made along the way.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Careful, friendship is pretty spoilery

poo poo you're right, I forgot all about made you look!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Shadowrun magic is not a free lunch, this game just doesn't do a very good job of showcasing that. The cooldown mechanic more or less allows you to cast anything you want indefinitely, just not very quickly. Normally, spells have no cooldown, but you will eventually get exhausted physically and mentally. It's potentially lethal in pretty much the same way running for days without food or rest would be.

Dunno what it's like in later editions, but for a bit more detail: In 3rd edition, every time you cast a spell you risked "drain" which was a kind of damage. In the TT game, you have lethal and stun health tracks to represent serious physical injury (lethal track) or fatigue and being "stunned" by less deadly attacks (punches, maybe flashbangs?). Every spell you cast was basically a gamble of taking a certain amount of stun damage, and the thing about stun damage is that when you fill out that track, it spills over into lethal and becomes real life-threatening damage.

To be even more crunchy, damage in 3rd edition was treated as a combination of how much and how hard to resist. If you knew a combat/attack spell at level 5, you could make an attack with it that required opponents to roll a 5 on a d6 (probably using a pool equal to their Body stat?) to negate damage. (This directly scales with the level at which you know the spell, so if you only knew it at level 3, then you could make them roll at most a 3 to resist; you could also choose to use the spell at a lower level than you know.) How much damage the spell did was completely up to you! You could make it do enough damage to kill them in one shot if they can't resist any of it. However, this was a big risk because you yourself would have to risk an attack that did stun damage but was otherwise about as strong as what you inflicted: need to roll 5s (iirc with a dice pool equal to your Willpower stat (and actually I think maybe the power of the drain is half of what level you choose for the spell but I am not sure)) to resist, if you can't resist at all, you get KO-ed (the stun equivalent of instant-death-level damage). And "resisting" just means "reducing how much you take" so unless you have an ungodly Willpower stat, you're likely going to be pretty fatigued from it, and this will impose penalties even if you don't get knocked out. If you were already fatigued from drain from casting other spells or any other source, then that damage, after knocking you out, it would spill over and start harming your body. If you also were really messed up with physical injuries, then this might kill you! That is what drain is. Essentially, attacking people with magic basically means risking getting "attacked" by the energy you're channeling and being harmed up by it. (Every spell had a similar thing but the drain attack worked a bit differently, attack spells are easiest to explain because it's a basic mirror of what you inflict.)

This has some tactical implications because not all attack spells actually work exactly the same way. Like, cool as they are, elemental attack spells like fireballs and such I never really used them because resisting drain from those was harder than other attack spells. Further, because you were making some physical phenomenon and throwing it at the enemy rather than just directly targeting their soul or mind or whatever, these spells could miss (iirc). I think there was some advantage to it over more direct spells like manabolt, but I don't remember and I guess I never thought it was worth the risk because any combat mage I played would focus on stunbolt and stunball. In these cases, the drain is easier to resist because you're inflicting stun rather than lethal damage. And a knocked out enemy is as good as a dead one tactically. For enemies you can't stun you'd need something else but that was a backup at best.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

King Doom posted:

The more 'manufactured' something is, the harder it is to make magic stick to it, so you can't have a plane powered by an air spirit or whatever. This being Shadowrun, a few of the mega-corps took notice of this and the next generation drones, fighters and interceptors are now all put through pointless mechanical stuff when being built, like a robot arm installs a component, then one removes it, then another puts a different but identical part in. The reason? difficult to enchant also means difficult to hit with hostile magic. Coincidentally, a lot of these drones and fighters are being developed to fight dragons.

Another good example of tech rules-lawyering the way magic works: to target someone with a spell, you need to see them with your eyes. This means that typically seeing them on a video feed from a camera doesn't count. But the critical component, it turns out, is that your eyes are seeing light that reflected directly off the target. So you could target someone far away with regular lens-based binoculars. Or, if you could get enough high quality fiber optic cable, you could use "cameras" that directly transmitted the photons that bounced off of people outside a building to a security mage sitting inside...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Tylana posted:

Even more fiddly. That only applies to Direct attack spells, like mana ball and stun bolt and that. IIRC.

Spells that summon bolts of fire, arcs of lightning and stuff, are aimed physically, but must also travel physically from you to the target. At least that's how I recall the Manipulation spells working. Maybe they could appear in a location targetable by magic.

Ah, yeah, good point, and another strike against the conceptually awesome elemental attack spells.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Anticheese posted:

What are some of the more inane Adept builds in the tabletop version? :allears:

There's the one where you can give people heart attacks by shaking hands with them.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GunnerJ posted:

There's the one where you can give people heart attacks by shaking hands with them.

Gonna elaborate on this now that I have time. I don't think it works in later editions because they changed or took out the relevant powers (from some hasty research) but in 3rd edition at least, you could do this with a combination of two powers: Killing Hands and Delay Damage.

Killing Hands we basically know about : it makes punches, that usually do stun damage, do physical injury/health damage. The most recent edition makes it so that you can just choose which you do, and since this can be replicated with, like, a knife, it doesn't cost much. In 3rd, this was the lowest level. There was a version of Killing Hands for every discrete "rank" of damage, meaning you could take "Killing Hands (Deadly)" and choose to make it so that you are the God Hand and your punches make heads explode. (I imagine in later editions doing this is more emergent from a combination of powers that increase your unarmed skill and strength, which I think is honestly a better and more elegant way of doing it but not as hilarious.)

Delay Damage made it so that you can unarmed attack someone but make it so the damage doesn't apply until up to a day later. It came in two varieties: Obvious (the target knows they've been attacked but don't feel any damage immediately) and Silent (the target has just been touched and doesn't realize they were subject to an attack). It's the later one we're interested in, because it makes it so you can tap someone on the shoulder or something and that would count as a kind of delayed punch that they only feel later, probably not realizing why they suddenly hurt real bad.

Combine Killing Hands (Deadly) and Delay Damage (Silent) and you can shake someone's hand and make them basically just take a lethal injury later seemingly at random. Also you could take these two at chargen (although it would use up all your starting power points). So maybe this was something removed for good reason.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

You can still "step up" damage grades with excess successes over the min required, right? I'd figure that you could still do the God Hand thing fairly well with Killing Hands and a ton of Improved Ability (Unarmed) and Improved Strength. With 6 power points to start you'd could get KH, +5 to your dice pool and +3 to Strength, which (if damage works anything like what I remember) means the enemy is facing down a bucket of dice and his resistance rolls are hitting a TN of something nuts. But now that I think about it the whole dice system is different, isn't it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

There are very rare people who can have both adept powers and the ability to cast spells, but ability at one comes at the expense of the other mechanically. Not sure how it works in current editions, but in 3rd you have to buy every point of your effective "magic stat" as an adept power, meaning you gave up powers for low-level spells usually.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kanfy posted:

...You're sure that this room is secure? You've done a full sweep?

Absolutely, sir. We've run multiple sweeps with a complete sensor package, and we brought in a mage to search for signs of astral tampering. It all checks out clean. You're completely safe in here.

[He lets out a heavy sigh.] Thank God. Call downstairs and let my wife and kid know that it's safe to come up.

A bit strange that they're having this conversation in a building that just had a shootout happen in/around it.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

This will all be worth it for the fabulous rewards of evil.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

The game's acronyms are a little too cute for their own good.

"SIN" with "SINners" and "SINless" and now "ACHE."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Move-by-Wire was always one of the more WTF things in the game to me. It always seemed like more of a statement than a practical option. "All right, street samurai min-maxers, you thought Wired Reflexes was some poo poo, but are you prepared to just completely gently caress up your life for even more init dice?? Of course you are."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

wiegieman posted:

Magical traditions who draw their power (weird powers, like teleportation, which is supposed to be impossible) from worshiping the no-poo poo Elder Gods.

Whatever it is that lives in the Foundations of the matrix, and the hidden AI nation they sometimes hunt.

Practically anything involving the Deep Astral, or the Metaplanes in general.

Whatever the Monads are getting up to out in space.

This all seems like stuff from after I stopped playing Shadowrun so I really want some more info on it. :stare:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Alright, it's been fun, but I think it's time bring the reins of history the thread back to the hands of man LP.

Unsubscribed.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Gonna call me on using trogs, breeders, and stunties too? I forget if Orks and Trolls use flatfaces for humans, they have one that's pretty good that's slipping my mind at the moment if that isn't it.

Man, fantastic racism comes with some of the best fake slurs around.

Reminding me of an ill-fated tabletop game where one of the other players tried to assure an elf that he wasn't racist by saying, "Hey, come on, I love keebs."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Neo-Nazis are honestly worse than the originals. Whole lotta people got on the Nazi bandwagon without knowing exactly where it was going, but these guys have the full benefit of hindsight and are like "Yeah that was good, let's do that again."

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Only real Shadowrun 1st Edition Publication Decade kids will remember snap bracelets.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Than she doesn't have to remember them, does she? :smug:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Gotta say part of me really never liked this twist. It takes what's otherwise a decent moral dilemma and makes it way too easy to choose to kill him.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/WeBeHarebrained/status/1052352327636545536

Hmm. :raise:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Agriculture seems difficult!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I dont know posted:

3)The totems seem to be entities with specific wills. That said, they may not be. The exact nature of totem spirits is unknown, but there seems to be implied that Shamans are actually tapping into Carl Jung's Collective Unconscious and the totems represent Jungian Archetypes. Totem spirits like Dragon Slayer, Adversary, and Skyfather all come directly from comparative mythology as ways of classifying mythical archetypes that reoccur independently across cultures (I.E. the Monomyth).

Small note: Game mechanics wise, those are all termed "idols" distinct from "totems" and I think this was a way to satisfy players who wanted to play like a shaman of one of the Aesir/Olympians/Saints/etc without having to stat up the Norse, Greek, Catholic saintly, and whatever else pantheons.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

So the totem is the base spirit, and the idol is whatever the spirit shows itself as to its chosen.

Nah, totem/idol is apparently terminology from 3rd edition cut out later, but the original idea here is that idols and totems are mechanically the same "type" of entity (otherworldly mentors empowering shamans) but are distinct from each other. Dragonslayer isn't a mask of Dog or whatever. Idols are abstract archetypes representing common mythic tropes, totems are more tied to the writers' understanding of "Native American" religion. The idols came later I think to give options for players who liked the shaman mechanics but wanted character concepts based on another mythology.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

"Knight-King" is the sort of nonsense concept a kid would come up with for playing let's pretend because it sounds totally sweet and it's great.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I was curious about what it would sound like in German and I think I'm not the only one because Google Translate turned my search for the literal words, "Knight Kings of Lightning Hold," into "Ritterkönige des Blitzschlags" and I do not think those compound words are actually part of the German language??

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Wait are they addicted to giving head in this scenario, because I don't think you're going to make much money sucking off bums.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I feel like if shadorwrunners don't have an easier way of getting drugs from bums (or money to buy drugs for that matter) then something must be really going wrong with their missions, in which case, what are performance enhancing drugs for?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Every runner's level up track has two paths, "Knight" and "Knave." The former changes your dialog options to you buy into the nonsense more but gives you weird orthogonal advantages, the latter is more standard incremental power improvement but you don't get to slip into the magic as much.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

IMJack posted:

"Slipping into the magic" should be a very real thing, especially during the final climactic siege of Lightninghold.

:hai:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

communism bitch posted:

Give it a shot. poo poo, I'd put together a 15 minute tutorial on how to implement all the basic systems if people actually wanted.

I'd be interested in that tbh.

I think something HBS wanted to accomplish with the Shadowrun Returns games is to launch a whole bunch of high quality UGC as the engine could enable "digital gamemasters" to design their own stuff, but idk if that ever really happened. Most of the UGC that I played was kinda frustrating or buggy and I don't remember finishing any UGC campaigns.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

Whee, all that delicious (in more ways that one, remember what Knight-King Phillip Rex was eating) bioware! My Street Sammy wanted quite a number of those upgrades. Too bad the cyber/bioware augmentation system in this engine goes off of a paper doll system rather than letting you go hog wild in installing all of the ware you want up to your Essence (and nuyen) limit, notwithstanding a couple of obvious incompatibilities (why get a Cyberarm if you've already got Muscle augs as well? Same with Dermal Armor vs Orthoskin).

The way this double and even triple gates things always bugged me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

blutz is a good boy who does his best and a fish out of water in a world he never made