Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Problem description: My Win7 computer has recently started running its system fans at high RPM continuously. OpenHardwareMonitor doesn't report any obvious heat issues, aside from a northbridge temperature of 60C which Google suggests isn't unreasonable. The system appears to be stable, it's just noisy.

Attempted fixes: Rebooted the computer; this worked temporarily, but the fans eventually come back up to high speed. Opened the case up (with the computer off) and blew some compressed air on everything.

Recent changes: None. Installed a new GPU six months ago, but that's the most recent change and the fans have been fine up until a couple of days ago.

--

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7.

System specs: Here, just have a partial dump of an OpenHardwareMonitor report.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Given that the fans run slow after a reboot, it's clear that the fan controller is capable of running things correctly, it just chooses not to for whatever reason. I have no idea how to diagnose beyond that though. A loose wire causing erroneous signals when it warms up, maybe? :shrug:

EDIT: I shut the computer down again, opened the case, blew more compressed air into some corners I'd missed previously, and rebooted the computer. Fan ran noisily during boot, which is normal, then quieted down once Windows finished initializing. The curious thing is that OpenHardwareMonitor still reports the CPU Fan and System Fan #1 running at 1100 and 1000 RPM, respectively, which is clearly false. They are running (I can feel air moving around), but if they were running that fast they'd be making a lot more noise.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread