Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm late on this, but my headcanon is that that Estormo dude is someone Ancano didn't like and wanted him out of the way and gave him some bad information to send him to his death. It's the only way it can make ANY frigging sense that he's just chilling out in Labyrinthian, waiting for a chance to--not ambush!--but openly challenge the person who just got done wiping the floor with loving Morokei.

Like it would make SOME sense if he immediately ambushed you the instant Morokei fell, before you could grab the staff and when you're presumably weakened from the fight. But what actually happens is, well... :downs:
You say that about every organization that sends one or two lone thugs to "ambush" the Dragonborn in broad daylight in the middle of a well-traveled road and brag to him about how he's going to die beforehand. Maybe everyone in Skyrim is just stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The only competant person in Skyrim is Balgruuf, and he likes the Dragonborn. Hence why none of the many assassins who are sent to kill you succeed.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Did we already come to the conclusion on who is/was the most competent person in Skyrim?

Because Irileth's paranoia is well founded.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its hard to decide who is the most competent character in skyrim is because no one has any agency to speak of besides the dragonborn, and everyones plans on using the dragonborn are incredibly straight forward.

Id have to nominate the forsaken for most competent faction though. Despite being dressed up as savage barbarians they were close to completing their intended goal of taking the reach until the DB came along.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 6, 2018

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Id have to nominate the forsaken for most competent faction though. Despite being dressed up as savage barbarians they were close to completing their intended goal of taking the reach until the DB came along.

I disagree, I think the Forsworn are clearly no match for their enemies and are being clearly and obviously duped. But I’ll avoid any spoilers

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd nominate Nelacar as competent.

Within the context of the quest he's in...

1. He doesn't try to double cross the player.
2. He doesn't screw up what he needs to do.
3. He understands the ramifications of what could happen before and after.
4. He wants nothing else to do with the player once he's done with his task.
5. He provides one of the most useful items in the game for enchanters.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Eorlund Grey-Mane seems pretty competent

e: Also the dude working for Nurelion in Windhelm seems to know what he’s about

e2: And I’ve always liked Ulfric’s court wizard, who if you ask him “Does Ulfric have much use for you?” says “no, but then I don’t have much use for Ulfric.” You do you, my dude.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 6, 2018

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So some mechanical questions, either for here or a travel filler:

Are foxes a "follow me to an undiscovered location" mechanic or is that just my own confirmation bias?
How does leveling affect artifacts like Zeyphr and Spellbreaker?
In the Dragonborn DLC, are the Black Book bonuses worth taking as early as possible?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The failed pilot episode of CSI: Windhelm!

Days 25-26: Cantripped Shenanigans

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bootcha posted:

Are foxes a "follow me to an undiscovered location" mechanic or is that just my own confirmation bias?

I wouldn't say confirmation bias, more just that if you follow anything long enough in Skyrim you'll come to an undiscovered location.

LonelyMudkip
Jul 19, 2016

Yep, I am one of the idiots who ended up with a useless amulet in her inventory for the rest of eternity because you can't drop quest items. And I never noticed that the killer actually stalks his victim, I always just staked out the marketplace. That's kind of a cool detail.

Another dumb thing about this quest, you can in fact pickpocket Calixto's key from him and find the journal early, but it has absolutely no effect on the quest. Also, when he does decide to give the tour, it is surprisingly easy and hilarious to sneak along behind him and swipe all his artifacts.

Hjerim is one of the nicer houses in Skyrim, so long as you remember to buy the clean up first so it doesn't bug out and you're stuck with the bloodstains forever.

However, despite the jankiness, this is still a pretty cool quest.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think I failed this quest the one time I did it because I just took Calixto at his word and said the court mage was at fault, saw the "failed quest" pop-up and was confused at hell. Interesting to see how they did that. This is better than most of the boring quests in Skyrim

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

LonelyMudkip posted:

Yep, I am one of the idiots who ended up with a useless amulet in her inventory for the rest of eternity because you can't drop quest items. And I never noticed that the killer actually stalks his victim, I always just staked out the marketplace. That's kind of a cool detail.

Another dumb thing about this quest, you can in fact pickpocket Calixto's key from him and find the journal early, but it has absolutely no effect on the quest.

Yeah, the number one thing I dislike about this quest is that there's no way to actually put the clues and evidence together and present them as proof. You simply have to wait until you see Calixto try to murder someone.

Slaan posted:

I think I failed this quest the one time I did it because I just took Calixto at his word and said the court mage was at fault, saw the "failed quest" pop-up and was confused at hell. Interesting to see how they did that. This is better than most of the boring quests in Skyrim

It's even better than that! See if you accuse the court mage, then Calixto murders someone else (just like Wuunferth said would happen when he's arrested) and the quest re-opens and you can catch Calixto. That path is winnable too, just at the cost of an NPC being murdered and you looking like a dope.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Melth posted:

That path is winnable too, just at the cost of an NPC being murdered and you looking like a dope.

Which needless to say no one will ever mention again. Even Wuunferth just gets put in the “NPCs who dislike you” category and will say something snide when you approach him but will still buy your poo poo and so forth, IIRC.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
actually meat pies are the best pies. beef works better than human flesh though, that's probably where you went wrong

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Soricidus posted:

actually meat pies are the best pies. beef works better than human flesh though, that's probably where you went wrong

I beg to differ. Human flesh is far superior, especially when well seasoned with Blue Soul extract :colbert:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Soricidus posted:

actually meat pies are the best pies
True fact.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Soricidus posted:

If you've got a good recipe Mara and I might try it, but until then I remain unconvinced.

More pressingly, I am working on a new title image and thumbnail for this Skyrim series, hoping to make it clearer why it's special to potential viewers. How would this roughly thumbnail sized one look?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Looks fine to me.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Melth posted:

More pressingly, I am working on a new title image and thumbnail for this Skyrim series, hoping to make it clearer why it's special to potential viewers. How would this roughly thumbnail sized one look?

The basic idea is perfectly solid. Granted, some color-tweaking might be in order (especially where that yellow's involved), but that's just me being nitpicky; if you think it's fine, this'll absolutely work.

Bootcha posted:

In the Dragonborn DLC, are the Black Book bonuses worth taking as early as possible?

Melth, having never properly played the Dragonborn DLC past the very start (never able to find an in-character justification for screwing off to Solstheim, if I'm remembering correctly), probably won't be of much help regarding questions about it.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Melth, having never properly played the Dragonborn DLC past the very start (never able to find an in-character justification for screwing off to Solstheim, if I'm remembering correctly), probably won't be of much help regarding questions about it.

He had the run-in with the cultists at Iversted. He also has the Dawnguard DLC because the guards talk about it.

But I guess this is a base game run through. Which is okay.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bootcha posted:

General answer: unless you're playing on Legendary, stats in Skyrim do not matter. Take them whenever you feel like it.

Mind you I'd love to see Hjalti tackle Solstheim - it's easily the least poo poo part of this game.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bootcha posted:

So some mechanical questions, either for here or a travel filler:

Well there is one that is pretty much the comprehension perk from FO3/NV, gives you an extra skill point on reading a skill book. Which for perfectionist players is probably the one to take early

Otherwise there are:
a choice between 3 powers that passively increase your warrior/thief skill effectiveness by 10%, and a third for mages that decreases spell cost by 10% and increases enchanting by 10%
A power that increases damage by 10% against the opposite sex, and you get 10% better prices, great for female characters, obv.
a choice between three once a day powers that cause you to spend no mana for spells/no stamina for power attacks/take half damage , for 30 seconds
a lesser power (pretty much a spell) that increases stamina regen by 50% for 300 seconds

The rest aren't worth going out of your way early for.

However if you are doing a hardcore run like Melth is, getting many of them involves a trek through apocyrpha, which is a min level 25 area with very dangerous and annoying enemies.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 19, 2018

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You're hounded by cultists until you go to Solstheim. They're not really a threat, but it's motivation enough to make an excuse to go there eventually.

As for Apocrypha, the enemies are bullshit enough on normal difficulties, but you technically don't die if you're killed there, at least.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

You're hounded by cultists until you go to Solstheim. They're not really a threat, but it's motivation enough to make an excuse to go there eventually.

I'm surprised I haven't run into them as random encounters yet, they're usually quite common!

In case it wasn't clear, I do intend to do the Dragonborn questline (for the first time) later on. I've got a spreadsheet of when I'll do every quest step for maximum efficiency and Dragonborn is on the list.

Unfortunately for roleplaying reasons it's fairly late. I'd like to do it earlier because many of those powers really are quite good to pick up. One or two are god modes, and more importantly a lot of them grant useful passive bonuses. Passive bonuses are amazing in this game because your inventory space is so limited, so you appreciate every additional bonus you can get.

Here's the next episode though!

Days 27-28: The Music of Life

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh I'm sure you could shove a crochet needle through a jugular if you applied enough force. :)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I find the backgrounds of the brotherhood members to be so boring. There's nothing unique here, just a random hodge podge of this and that. It felt like they were trying too hard to make them seem like outcasts. I think a more Nord themed direction could have been much better. For instance:

Sneaking to put a weakening poison into a target's drink then publicly challenging them to an honor duel after getting them to insult you

Or killing someone in a way that would start a blood feud between rival leading families in a town.

They could have done much better than Demon Clown

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you die and start over with a warrior I think it'd be fun for you to make a backstory that justifies going to Solstheim early. We've seen how you behave when you have almost encyclopedic knowledge, but I think it'd be fun (and new in your history of LPs) to play something mostly-blind, so we can see your learning process.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

If Melth really doesn't know what's what in Solstheim/Apocrypha when he goes in on Legendary then even with his mad skilz he will 100% die a bullshit death before long

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Personally I'd love to see him remove the ironman rule while in Solstheim, but in exchange do less research, so we watch him try something entirely new.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was surprised to hear that you haven't seen dragons flying around all over the place and not staying put like that much before, because they seem to do it about half the time for me. It's incredibly annoying. It's not like they're hard to fight, you just have to chase them half way across the country because they will not stay put. Every other enemy type will run right up to you even if it's obvious suicide, but dragons flit about and run away and get distracted by every other thing in the entire world. And even if you force them to land they'll still find the most inconvenient spot to do it.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Personally, i've always hated the very concept of the Dark Brotherood as a joinable faction.

Guy Fawkes posted:

One of the greatest miss in Skyrim was the implementation of the "destroy the Dark Brotherhood " mission.
I would have preferred a true quest: once you have killed Astrid the Penitus Oculatus accepts to help giving you protection from their assassins; in exchantge, and in order to neutralize the danger you start working for them, searching for their assassins through clues and informers (like the guy in the Thieves Guild who worked for the Morag Tong), blocking a few other assassinations and in the end you follow one of them, discover their Sanctuary and finally remove them from the world.

THAT would have been great.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
I am pretty sure that "the old man giving candy to orphans" is supposed to be a pedophile, what with the comments about "you're so pretty" that she brings up.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Colander Crotch posted:

I am pretty sure that "the old man giving candy to orphans" is supposed to be a pedophile, what with the comments about "you're so pretty" that she brings up.

Yeah, I think it's clearly meant that way to a modern audience, but Hjalti doesn't share our modern stereotypes. You'll also note my comment about his first impression of her talking about killing a friendly old man was before the comment on her appearance.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Days 28-29: Murder is Novice

Hjalti very definitely did not travel to the arctic port of Dawnstar and murder a middle-aged miner woman. You can't prove anything.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Melth posted:

Hjalti very definitely did not travel to the arctic port of Dawnstar and murder a middle-aged miner woman. You can't prove anything.
We have video evidence. :v:

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Poil posted:

We have video evidence. :v:

The video evidence shows someone using stealth, and it's well known that Hjalti never uses stealth except to steal eidar cheese wheels. So it couldn't possibly be him.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!
All I see in this supposed evidence is someone defending themselves after being attacked for make a, admittedly tasteless, joke. No proof that he actually was Dark Brotherhood. He was just a bad prankster.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017
You say creeping over the mountain like a spider, and then you say "one doesn't find frostbite spiders up in these places". But you do find them there. There's literally a pack of them on the way to the Daedric shrine you talked about that's just on the other side of that mountain you scaled down.

There is no escaping the many over-sized arachnids of Skyrim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Ah yes, the "she started it" defense. Typical Nord sentimentalities.