Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Damnit, I would've voted for Warrior if I'd seen this earlier.
Bloody vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here's the first episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03bL9-uVVMU

As always, I'm looking for ways to improve

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Yess, excited to see this LP. I've never played Skyrim, or found an LP that interested me, but I loved your exhaustively detailed take on Civ II.

The fire spell in the video is super loud though, hard to hear you talk when it's active.

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
Any reason why you aren't using the survival mode despite still resting and eating? I would also recommend the alternate start mod if you meet a unfortunate end, mainly to justify joining the imperial side, and for skipping the overly long tutorial.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Blog Free or Die posted:

Yess, excited to see this LP. I've never played Skyrim, or found an LP that interested me, but I loved your exhaustively detailed take on Civ II.

The fire spell in the video is super loud though, hard to hear you talk when it's active.

I plan to go just as exhaustively into Skyrim if I can and use SCIENCE to disprove a lot of really common, stupid misconceptions about the mechanics.

Thanks for the feedback about fire spells, I'm going to try to balance the audio differently in the next episode.

Flamester posted:

Any reason why you aren't using the survival mode despite still resting and eating? I would also recommend the alternate start mod if you meet a unfortunate end, mainly to justify joining the imperial side, and for skipping the overly long tutorial.

Several reasons! Firstly, I don't have access to it. It's only in the newer release of the game, which I didn't get because I didn't have all the DLCs already at the time it came out. So I'd basically have to re-buy Skyrim and THEN buy survival mode to get it. Not worthwhile when the newer version hardly changes anything.

Secondly, their survival mode is vastly inferior to many fan-made ones, so if I wanted to do a survival mode I would use one of those.

Thirdly, I find survival modes to be somewhere between irrelevant and a nuisance anyway. I already consistently do all the things like eat and stay dry and sleep and not fast-travel that they require, so I don't need a mode to punish me if I don't. And I don't find any of them terribly realistic.

Fourthly, I'm trying to use almost no mods or changes to the base game (other than the unofficial patch which is more or less necessary and also removes a pile of mage exploits I could use to wreck everything).

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Will you be going into detail about certain exploits you won't be doing, and WHY you won't be doing them?

I ask, because watching you leave Riverwood made me twitch; all those salmon jumping up the miniature falls.

I have a hard time NOT harvesting them when I play.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Does the damage from traps like oil go up along with difficulty? It seems like it very quickly ceases to be useful against enemies. Even the second variant of any type is barely tickled by it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Melth posted:

I'm going to try to balance the audio differently in the next episode.
It's not just during combat either, you're really quiet the whole time. Like, if you left the game audio as it is and boosted your audio way up, that would be great.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It's kind of weird seeing someone fighting with magic in Skyrim.

How do summons scale with Legendary? They aren't as broken as followers, I assume.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
I’m going to go into lots of detail about both summons and traps in the near future. Suffice it to say that everyone seems to be wrong about summons and difficulty modifiers and that traps work in strange ways. With console command testing I am going to disprove a lot of myths.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I am kinda surprised to see you actually using the flames spell, as I remember on normal difficulty that ate your entire mana bar to kill one guy.

Whoever crunched the numbers on destruction needs a new job.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I am kinda surprised to see you actually using the flames spell, as I remember on normal difficulty that ate your entire mana bar to kill one guy.

Ehhh, I actually like the current destruction system quite well. I'll demonstrate in the next video that one mana bar can actually kill one guy on legendary, so it should be about 4 on normal.

But I like destruction being a very expensive way to kill people. It forces you to be creative and use numerous schools of magic. What I think is great about being a mage is that there's a right tool for every job if you're smart. Warriors only have a handful of tricks but they're extremely effective. Mages have a whole utility belt, but the brainless solution of just blasting people in the face with fire until they die is inefficient.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Yeah that was kinda my issue when I tried a pure mage in the base game - seemed like magic was just way underpowered even with a huge investment in it.

Melth posted:

Ehhh, I actually like the current destruction system quite well. I'll demonstrate in the next video that one mana bar can actually kill one guy on legendary, so it should be about 4 on normal.

But I like destruction being a very expensive way to kill people. It forces you to be creative and use numerous schools of magic. What I think is great about being a mage is that there's a right tool for every job if you're smart. Warriors only have a handful of tricks but they're extremely effective. Mages have a whole utility belt, but the brainless solution of just blasting people in the face with fire until they die is inefficient.

Ah, I was magicking entirely wrong!

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
It isn't so much that magic is underpowered, it's which schools. Illusion, Restoration, and Conjuration are all pretty potent especially in the late game, but Alteration and Destruction just teeter off and aren't that fun to play with.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Melth, I get that you don't want to use mods much at all, but could you maybe at least use an inventory mod? The layout of Skyrim's inventory is just terrible, and a proper menu like SkyUI is just so good.
That said, good start. Looking forward to more.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Lynneth posted:

Melth, I get that you don't want to use mods much at all, but could you maybe at least use an inventory mod? The layout of Skyrim's inventory is just terrible, and a proper menu like SkyUI is just so good.
That said, good start. Looking forward to more.

I’ll consider it, though I’ve never really disliked the basic inventory (except when it gets cluttered)

ApeHawk posted:

It isn't so much that magic is underpowered, it's which schools. Illusion, Restoration, and Conjuration are all pretty potent especially in the late game, but Alteration and Destruction just teeter off and aren't that fun to play with.

I disagree actually. Alteration and Destruction are both at their weakest point now and will become far stronger later. Alteration in particular suffers from ALL of its early spells being useless. But late in the game it has all kinds of amazing spells and a bunch of its perks are truly fantastic. Meanwhile Restoration is always usable but its power peaks in the mid-early game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I have never played or even looked at Skyrim beyond half an hour of trying it out at a friend's, and it seems like the inventory would become a super nightmare very soon...unless you know exactly what to leave lying around, and what to sell immediately first chance you get. Melth seems to have both things covered. Then if you factor in the challenges, he won't have to carry around crafting, alchemy etc. ingredients, so that should clear things up even more? I guess? Forgive me if I'm talking nonsense and materials are their own tab anyway or whatever. For this video at least, I didn't have an issue.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Simply Simon posted:

I have never played or even looked at Skyrim beyond half an hour of trying it out at a friend's, and it seems like the inventory would become a super nightmare very soon...unless you know exactly what to leave lying around, and what to sell immediately first chance you get. Melth seems to have both things covered. Then if you factor in the challenges, he won't have to carry around crafting, alchemy etc. ingredients, so that should clear things up even more? I guess? Forgive me if I'm talking nonsense and materials are their own tab anyway or whatever. For this video at least, I didn't have an issue.

You’re mostly right. I’ll generally be traveling light and immediately offloading most stuff I pick up. One of the great things about being a mage is how little gear you need.

Alchemy ingredients are actually their own tab, but smithing supplies and soul gems for enchanting are all tossed in miscellaneous (which CAN get cluttered if you don’t know how to buy and sell intelligently).

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
Here's episode two, with co-commentary and some timely technical help from Mara:

Days 1-2: Bleak Falls Barrow

Melth fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 17, 2017

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fury is a fun spell but it scales so slowly compared to the speed of leveling so it quickly becomes useless.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Poil posted:

Fury is a fun spell but it scales so slowly compared to the speed of leveling so it quickly becomes useless.
Yeah, a lot of the spell schools feels that way. I'm not sure why but Bethsoft feels like they have become progressively worse at balancing magic with every TES title.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Sylphosaurus posted:

Yeah, a lot of the spell schools feels that way. I'm not sure why but Bethsoft feels like they have become progressively worse at balancing magic with every TES title.
It's probably a knee-jerk from spell creation being so powerful in the older games.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I really enjoy your LPs. It's an amazing flood of information.
You do speak quite fast tho, and it feels like you are gonna roll over yourself any second.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That dude in the barrow was not our first Dark Elf, Irilith or whatever her name is, in Whiterun is. The Guard Captain.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That dude in the barrow was not our first Dark Elf, Irilith or whatever her name is, in Whiterun is. The Guard Captain.

Yeah, I meant Dark Elf enemy though. I was talking about their fire resistance afterall.

Poil posted:

Actually, Fury can easily be made viable straight into the late game.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009
Mara's commentary complements your style well.

Imps
Feb 16, 2011

I'm actually doing a play through with a lighting overhaul that removes most light sources from uninhabited worldspaces. It really changes the atmosphere of dungeon crawling in a good way, but is also kinda frustrating because the game is not designed for it in pretty much anyway. Fun changes overall though.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I am enjoying you teaching about the game as well as showing how to handle Legendary. I, like most, always thought draugr to be weak to fire.

Are you going to spellcraft at all for us? Maybe enchant some sweet staves?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I really appreciate the effort you're putting into showing the game being played as the devs clearly intended, giving the game an opportunity to show off its various set pieces.

I had no idea you could set off floor traps by shooting them. I'm honestly shocked by that.

Given this is an LP, I'm not surprised that you've started the main quest already, but one of my favorite ways to play is to screw around in a pre-main quest world until I hit ~ level 20, then head to the Barrow.

Because of the way enemies level up with you, that Draugr becomes much, much more powerful if you wait that long, and given that the game expects you have a certain set of abilities by the time you reach that level... it makes for some very interesting fights.

Waiting also lets you role play your character getting drawn into the main quest trying to investigate why he has such a strange reactions to these weird carved walls he keeps finding hidden seemingly all over Skyrim. Somewhat more compelling than "We need a warm, disposable body to go into this dungeon and maybe not get chopped up by some restless undead for reasons that I'm not gonna bother to share with you but I promise they're good ones!"

BTW, you totally abused jumping in that last fight. :D

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deranged Imp posted:

I'm actually doing a play through with a lighting overhaul that removes most light sources from uninhabited worldspaces. It really changes the atmosphere of dungeon crawling in a good way, but is also kinda frustrating because the game is not designed for it in pretty much anyway. Fun changes overall though.
Maybe try using the mod that allows you to craft a lantern that hangs from your belt, a la Twilight Princess?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I am enjoying you teaching about the game as well as showing how to handle Legendary. I, like most, always thought draugr to be weak to fire.

Are you going to spellcraft at all for us? Maybe enchant some sweet staves?
I don't think you can do either of those things in vanilla Skyrim. Actually making spells, assuming that's what you mean by "spellcraft", was removed after Oblivion, probably because you could do ridiculous things with it, from low-cost spells that invoke every school of magic for easy grinding to literally breaking the game (see: any Let's Play of any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim). I'm pretty sure there's no way to actually make your own staves in unmodded Skyrim either, although you can use soul gems to recharge ones you already own.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe try using the mod that allows you to craft a lantern that hangs from your belt, a la Twilight Princess?

I don't think you can do either of those things in vanilla Skyrim. Actually making spells, assuming that's what you mean by "spellcraft", was removed after Oblivion, probably because you could do ridiculous things with it, from low-cost spells that invoke every school of magic for easy grinding to literally breaking the game (see: any Let's Play of any Elder Scrolls game before Skyrim). I'm pretty sure there's no way to actually make your own staves in unmodded Skyrim either, although you can use soul gems to recharge ones you already own.

They added some kind of staff-making system in the Dragonborn DLC, I think. I've never messed with it though.

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!

Deranged Imp posted:

That does sound interesting. It’s always irked me a bit how Skyrim is always perfectly lit, even on cloudy midnights or underground. That really screws the khajiit by making their one power complete trash. All the mage light spells and torches are useless too. On the other hand not being able to see would be a nuisance AND get in the way of seeing the beautiful scenery. Maybe if the AI was smarter we could have followers be torchbearers like old school D&D.

RickVoid posted:

I really appreciate the effort you're putting into showing the game being played as the devs clearly intended, giving the game an opportunity to show off its various set pieces.

I had no idea you could set off floor traps by shooting them. I'm honestly shocked by that.

Given this is an LP, I'm not surprised that you've started the main quest already, but one of my favorite ways to play is to screw around in a pre-main quest world until I hit ~ level 20, then head to the Barrow.

Because of the way enemies level up with you, that Draugr becomes much, much more powerful if you wait that long, and given that the game expects you have a certain set of abilities by the time you reach that level... it makes for some very interesting fights.

Waiting also lets you role play your character getting drawn into the main quest trying to investigate why he has such a strange reactions to these weird carved walls he keeps finding hidden seemingly all over Skyrim. Somewhat more compelling than "We need a warm, disposable body to go into this dungeon and maybe not get chopped up by some restless undead for reasons that I'm not gonna bother to share with you but I promise they're good ones!"

BTW, you totally abused jumping in that last fight. :D

Glad you like it! I myself basically always start the main quest fast both because in character I think I should be jumping on this crazy dragon problem and/of currying favor with a jarl and because unlocking shouting is a new world of tactical possibilities and fun abilities.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Torches/Magelight are useful in exactly one place.

Darkfall Cave/Passage

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Commander Keene posted:

That... may have been a mod. To be honest, I don't remember vanilla Skyrim very well.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
There are two un-modded ways to make your own staves.

One in the base game, one in the Dragonborn DLC.

Since Melth already said he's not doing any crafting, it's not really spoilers to mention them either.

Vanilla game: The Atronach Forge beneath the College of Winterhold.

Dragonborn: The house of that one wizard Dunmer who's name I can't remember right now.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That... may have been a mod. To be honest, I don't remember vanilla Skyrim very well.

I had honestly forgotten what a non-skyui game looked like. Weird.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Weeble posted:

Torches/Magelight are useful in exactly one place.

Darkfall Cave/Passage
The worst place in the entire game. But to be fair it wouldn't be any better if it was properly lit.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I totally understand that feeling. I've been playing with a bunch of mods for so long that a bunch of this playthrough is likely going to involve me thinking "wait, it was like that in the base game?

Melth
Feb 16, 2015

Victory and/or death!
The atronach forge is technically not crafting, so I COULD use it.

However, I can't do it in character. I have never in my entire life actually found a recipe for the atronach forge in-game, so unless that changes Hjalti will never be able to use it. Except to create hostile flame atronachs that try to kill you and serve no practical purpose whatsoever.

It's not THAT game-breaking anyway. The best thing you can make with it (before you have like 100 conjuration skill and thus must have earned your way up to pretty high level anyway) is a tome or staff of Storm Atronach. The staff admittedly is ludicrously strong at low levels, but both are just pretty good by level 25 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
You can randomly find recipes for it in-game on slain Conjurers..... written in the Daedric alphabet.