Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mage because playing as a warrior seems tedious and boring to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Melth posted:

I have no idea what they were smoking when they decided to give enemies a luck based chance of cinematically one-shotting the player with no chance to dodge, block, stun, etc.
They were probably thinking that it would be pretty funny. And it is!

Melth posted:

If I’m a mage I’ll disable killcams for myself too since they glitch constantly for magic.
You mean how you get the slow-motion shot of your attack zooming harmlessly past your enemy's elbow and hitting the side of a hill 100m behind them? But that's literally the best thing in the entire game!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Melth posted:

I'm going to try to balance the audio differently in the next episode.
It's not just during combat either, you're really quiet the whole time. Like, if you left the game audio as it is and boosted your audio way up, that would be great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

My impression my first playthrough was that the Stormcloaks were a bunch of troublemakers who failed to understand or care about the intricacies of the real world
I immediately realised that the Stormcloaks were racist arseholes, because that much is obvious. But when you find out that they're actually not even the first people of Skyrim, just the last lot of invaders, any claim to legitimacy they may have had just evaporates. Like, if they were actually the natives then they may be racist arseholes but at least they have a point with regard to being conquered and subjugated. But no, they're the loving conquerors finally getting a taste of their own medicine and they can just completely go gently caress themselves.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why do all the merchants keep telling you that their goods are junk? Are they trying some kind of reverse psychology or something?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Melth posted:

What I have a problem with is how boring and predictable dragon fights are. They don’t actually know any words of their own language, they’re stupider than random wildlife, and you can’t do anything cool like trick them into exposing weak underbellies or something that might speed up the process of slowly killing them.
Plus, sometimes they decide there's no viable landing spot anywhere near you and you have to trek halfway across a mountain to find where they ended up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What’s so awful about the Thieves’ Guild quest line? I’ve done it once and I honestly don’t remember anything other than having to join a stupid cult and loot houses in every major city. The latter was kinda neat, even if I’d hate to do it on a repeat playthrough.

I'm not sure if/why people dislike the gameplay aspect of it (which is pretty much the same as everything else in this game, imo), but the story makes absolutely no sense at all. And it's not just the details, there isn't even the framework of a reasonable story there. It's like it was written by twelve different people all deliberately contradicting each other.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Poil posted:

Have you seen the AI fight? They just charge in screaming with no tactics or thought whatsoever. :v:

Half of them probably killed the other half by accident when they ran in front of each other's spells.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Soricidus posted:

actually meat pies are the best pies
True fact.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I was surprised to hear that you haven't seen dragons flying around all over the place and not staying put like that much before, because they seem to do it about half the time for me. It's incredibly annoying. It's not like they're hard to fight, you just have to chase them half way across the country because they will not stay put. Every other enemy type will run right up to you even if it's obvious suicide, but dragons flit about and run away and get distracted by every other thing in the entire world. And even if you force them to land they'll still find the most inconvenient spot to do it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's dumb, but no worse than about half the other things in this game. You're constantly forced to agree to stuff and trust people without any justification at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I know I personally don't tend to play characters whose first instinct upon seeing a woman vampire released from a bizarre prison is to kill her.
If a vampire has been sealed away in a magical prison, you better either leave them there or kill them immediately. That's just common sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Markarth is the worst. It's impossible to navigate.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I've never gotten alchemy past level 30, whereas I've maxed smithing and enchanting on multiple characters.

It's just so boring and tedious (even in comparison).
I found the exact opposite. Smithing and enchanting seem like they do gently caress-all and require a lot of forethought and planning, whereas alchemy you just find a bunch of stuff all over the place and then you take it to a shop and mash it together to figure out what stuff does. Then, personally, I sell everything that isn't a health or magicka potion because I can't be arsed with working out what the use of anything else is. And usually the merchant runs out of money before I run out of stuff to sell them, so I buy out their inventory and make more potions, most of which I sell back to them.

I did basically go from wandering adventurer to travelling potion salesman - so successfully that it's basically impossible to justify, in character, doing anything else - but it seems much quicker and simpler than enchanting or smithing. I had a go at both and was like "I don't care if this can make super good stuff, it's dull and inconvenient."

CommonShore posted:

1) Buy out merchants
2) Make three-ingredient potions with 3-4 effects to maximize resale price.
3) Resell until merchant is out of cash
4) Fast travel to next city; repeat.
This is what I mean about being a travelling potion salesman. The ease with which you can make more money than you could possibly spend is just one of the many ways it seems like the developers didn't really think through the consequences or implications of, well, anything in the game. They've built this huge, diverse world with characters who go about their daily routines and stuff, but no one noticed that the economy is insane. So much effort put into some details while no thought at all seems to have been given to fairly large aspects of their world.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Qrr posted:

A lot of characters that players want to kill are impossible to kill - they just kneel down and then get up in a bit. Serana is one. Maven Blackbriar is another. They've done that in Fallout as well, it's really annoying (and nice that New Vegas doesn't really have it).
I always liked the way that Deus Ex: Invisible War handled it. Anyone plot-essential would always talk to you by phone, behind bullet-proof glass or in a weapon-free area. As soon as you found yourself face-to-face with a character in an ordinary gameplay zone you could immediately kill them if you want.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why do these vampires even care about the sun? Like, not in a background lore sense, but just in a practical sense. Skyrim vampires can walk around in the sunlight with almost no problems. This is on the same level as putting all their effort into ending drizzle because they don't like getting damp.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Melth posted:

It did physical damage in previous games, but I'd argue that it's actually worse here since in those games it was trivial to just run around healing constantly. In fact, it was a GOOD thing the sun hurt you in Oblivion since it was so ridiculously hard to level restoration. In Skyrim on the other hand, the only playable kind of vampire is the precise one I'm playing: a mage with level 40 restoration, because anything else becomes completely non-functional in the daytime (even as a stage one vampire, which was totally unharmed in previous games!). Zero stamina regen means you cannot run from enemies OR fight. Penalties to your max HP and so forth are a problem too, and the -100% magic regen is pretty harsh even on the well-equipped Hjalti.
That's in game terms though. In story terms, these vampire can easily pass for human and walk around in the sunlight without being harmed, acting like a normal person all day and doing whatever they want at night since (I assume) they don't need to sleep.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That weird graphical bug or whatever it is that causes ovals to appear around your hands when you have spells equipped is really obvious in this video. I've noticed it before but the conversation with Valerica is so long and boring that I kind of got distracted and was just watching that effect.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Paarthurnax reminds me a lot of Beast from the X-Men cartoon. Just super obnoxious, the way he keeps sprinkling random dragon words into his speech despite knowing that you can't understand them and being able to speak fluent... whatever language the people in this game speak.

And Dragonrend is the most unbelievably underwhelming thing. It gets talked up as absolutely devastating to dragons but it turns out to be marginally useful at best, unless you've deliberately crippled yourself by not having any ranged attacks. I usually don't even want dragons to land because they almost always seem to choose the least convenient spots. I don't know how you've managed, in this LP, to get dragons who mostly land pretty much right in front of you. Whether through low health or Dragonrend I'd end up with them flying a kilometre away to find a good landing site every other time I fought one.

RandomMagus posted:

The whole "Mortality is incomprehensible to the dragons" thing is kinda weird. Like, humans aren't immortal but we have no problem conceptualizing the idea of immortality. Maybe not all the nuances we'd run into, but it doesn't break our brain.
Immortality is easy to conceptualise. You know how you're alive right now? Imagine if you just kept being alive. Easy.

Mortality is so hard to conceptualise that most humans can't even do it. If you believe in any kind of afterlife, you already believe you're immortal and the idea of just not existing any more isn't even something you think of. Even if you don't explicitly believe in an afterlife you probably don't think much about what happens when you die, and it's impossible to imagine being dead because whatever you're imagining there's still a you there observing it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

It's a shame dragon fights get so boring, because even after 1000 hours in the game they still have some pretty good moments.
All the enemies have the same problem, really. There's no real variety to them other than that some enemies spend more time running/flying around dodging and some enemies have more health than others, and they don't use any real tactics. Basically the only thing that makes an enemy more dangerous is how much damage its attacks do, not the way it uses them or how to combat them. What makes a dragon different to a bandit? It's bigger, it takes longer to kill, and if it hits you it does more damage. You're still going to want to treat them basically the same though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Why are you still taking and selling loot? Is there something you need more than 60,000 gold for?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Pointless tedium, you say
...in answer to the question "what is 90% of Skyrim?"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sordas Volantyr posted:

Hjalti Montrose: Wizard of considerable power, burns people to death on the regular, sacrificed his humanity and his ability to get a tan in the name of greater power

Also Hjalti Montrose: Is scared more by the prospect of getting his boots wet than he is by jumping out of a window hundreds of feet above the ground

He should just use Become Ethereal to cross water. I assume that prevents water from soaking into your clothes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Melth posted:

Just the risk of that happening should give a sensible person pause about whether becoming a vampire is a good idea.
What, as compared with what happens to a human who gets sealed in a box for hundreds of years? It may not be better, but it's certainly not worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

the most likable character in the game
There's a low bar.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think the single most maddening thing (and that's a pretty impressive first prize to take, in this game) about the whole civil war storyline is the fact both sides treat the Last Goddamn Dragonborn like a moderately useful errand runner, and not as a walking godslayer who can kill you as casually as s/he swigs mead and who you really, really desperately want on your side.
To be fair, that's a problem with just about every RPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The thing that always gets me about Skyrim is how dull and lifeless everything looks. Like, the actual gameplay is pretty repetitive and there are lots of things they could have done better, but it's decent fun. But I keep thinking everything in the game looks exactly the same even though that's obviously not true. It feels that way though. I think it's because of a lack of visual contrast. Nothing's ever really dark or bright. The difference between a torchlit cave and a field of flowers at midday is practically zero. They put light sources into the game but then made them completely pointless by making sure it never actually gets dark, and they put all these different environments weather conditions in but made them underwhelming by turning the contrast way down.