Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone feel like he's phoning it in lately

I mean I just put more effort into that collection of links than he did into all of his articles in the last month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Crane Fist posted:

Anyone feel like he's phoning it in lately

I mean I just put more effort into that collection of links than he did into all of his articles in the last month

Yeah, I have to agree. They've been pretty low effort, and they don't really make a joke most of the time.

The Japanese box art is the one that sticks out the most to me, since it seems like wasted potential.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
i was going to get upset but it's the only front page article posted in the last week or so and the one joke he came up with was funny so good job Dennis "Corin Tucker's Stalker" Farrell

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

This site could use some more writers.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That Mega Man "article" was real bad

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was terrible but not as bad as the Japanese box art one, which was an absolute nadir

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
The man wrote the Legend on Legend article, which is my all time favorite front page piece. I think he's earned a pass for life.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

He's been putting out two articles per week now, I don't they all can be good. And most of the articles you linked are Video Game Article which tend to be way sillier and first-degree jokes than anything particularly well-thought out. Even when he's just running down a list of punch-lines, I feel the thing is validated enough if one of them gets me to smile.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I disagree with you on the SNES and GOTY articles, they were both funny and had some extremely good jokes. The tweet one was fantastic and felt like an old school front page article, but the Mega Man image was two jokes hidden between the words Mega Man and Mega Man.

Even if some of the recent Front Page News have been sub-par Video Game Articles, he's still a good front page writer. Everybody can have an off day sometimes.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'm personally loving the current tread in articles by all the wrters.

"10 changes to X that we implemented for game X"

X in game now causes "random words" to happen

It never gets old.

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it
I love that he wrote a top 10 games of the year article, got bored halfway through and just decided to write nothing about games #7-2. That’s the kind of poo poo I did when I was trying to BS a homework assignment.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

This was a few months ago, but IMO the most egregious example of CTS phoning it in was the Solid Snake/Mario interview.

In fairness, I do like some of his articles, particularly the ones where he makes fake patch notes, and I've always liked the one-sentence reviews of video games.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Human posted:

I love that he wrote a top 10 games of the year article, got bored halfway through and just decided to write nothing about games #7-2. That’s the kind of poo poo I did when I was trying to BS a homework assignment.

Yeah that was pretty lazy, like dude is you can only be arsed to write about half of them maybe just do a top 5 instead

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

get that OUT of my face posted:

This was a few months ago, but IMO the most egregious example of CTS phoning it in was the Solid Snake/Mario interview.

In fairness, I do like some of his articles, particularly the ones where he makes fake patch notes, and I've always liked the one-sentence reviews of video games.

ol yeller posted:

The man wrote the Legend on Legend article, which is my all time favorite front page piece. I think he's earned a pass for life.

you've made a powerful enemy.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

ol yeller posted:

you've made a powerful enemy.

Can you articulate what is funny about it? i am not trying to be an rear end but I literally cannot fathom what people might fins funny about this article

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

get that OUT of my face posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

rear end posted:

Hahaha what the gently caress is this.

an author combining reality and metafiction into the single most hilarious thing i have ever read.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

actually it's really bad and i don't care about making enemies :twisted:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ol yeller posted:

an author combining reality and metafiction into the single most hilarious thing i have ever read.

it's fun to imagine what would happen if Mario and Solid Snake met each other

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

little munchkin posted:

Gotta say, the article feels like its off message then

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kkZx8UMUSo

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

little munchkin posted:

^^^

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I often agree, but I found this week’s to be quite funny! It’s a bit of a one-trick pony, as they often are, but it had legs. Thanks, Corin Tucker’s Stalker.

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I don’t care about gamergate

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Today's article is pretty funny:
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/reviewers-god-war/

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I liked the TV Buying Guide. I'm stealing this line for when my parents ask me about buying a TV in the near future:

quote:

Flat TVs are great if you enjoy looking at your television and seeing content.

Curved TVs are ideal for tech enthusiasts who are really into buyer's remorse.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/first-thing-learn/

this is a good one. did I spot a This Bike is a Pipe Bomb reference?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

He's gotten a lot better ever since his game got funded. I think he was just in a slump. The last few things he's done have been good and funny.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Ill say!

I just love the "Here is a thing, now here is the thing with one or two monkeycheese random words changed" x 10 articles.

Oh good! another one today!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

He's good, and I love him. ❤️
The articles are funny, and no one else writes as often.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Not hard to produce a lot when you just do the exact same thing over and over.

Hav'nt read the "famous lines" article yet, but im going to go out on a limb and guess it's a bunch of quotes where the words have been replaced with random stuff.

Edit:

I was very close, it wasn't random words. It was two words randomly inserted.

504 fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 21, 2018

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
I enjoy his work, it's short punchy and more often than not funny.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
this latest one really freakin sucked

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

your friend a dog posted:

this latest one really freakin sucked

It was like a long joke with a huge set up that the teller then refuses to give the punch line too.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Today's Video Game Article was very genuine, and I liked that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I still think most of what he writes is fine though he's had maybe a few more misses for the last few months than normal. But when he's pretty much one of the sole content creators, I can definitely give him a pass. At the best his stuff is cute and irreverent at worst it's one joke that died on delivery but what're you going to do?

Keep at it CTS.

Fun aside. I didn't know anything about Sleater-Kinney until reading his handle. I love that band now and that name played no small part in it all those years ago.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The hell is going on? The gently caress is up with those last two articles? They are effectively random words, it’s not clever funny or even “zany” it’s just psyc patient level dribble.

It’s the sort of poo poo I would have written at 11 believing I was HILARIOUS after watching too many Kramer centrered episodes of Seinfeld.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

504 posted:

The hell is going on? The gently caress is up with those last two articles? They are effectively random words, it’s not clever funny or even “zany” it’s just psyc patient level dribble.

It’s the sort of poo poo I would have written at 11 believing I was HILARIOUS after watching too many Kramer centrered episodes of Seinfeld.

At the end of the article he explains it was an ad for a pinball video game. I don't know which other article you're asking about.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
The absolute piece of piss before that one.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

The one about cutting your own hair and feeling like an idiot or the video game article? Neither of them seem confusing at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really enjoyed his Oral History of History by Wikipedians: https://www.somethingawful.com/news/oral-history-earth/