Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«10 »
bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

embrace your inner slack

chitoryu12 posted:

I've only had coq a vin once, at Balthazar in NYC. It was absolutely delicious and even had a distinctive red wine taste to the chicken.

you have poule a vin, then

try to avoid eating old male animals with their balls in general

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.

Fallen Rib

/\/\/\ Reading that (after I posted the below) I'm immediately suggesting a new entry: Prairie Oyster. But this might count as a hint. Sorry.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

coq a vin is disgusting because it's made with roosters. the cook time is designed to make it edible, but it's still pretty disgusting
you see ancient recipes calling for 6, 10 hours cooks with rooster. lol at doing that with a hen
I've done coq a vin, it's about as far from disgusting as you can get! Granted, I used a hen (just like this weekend's condemned), but anything braised for hours in red wine is going to come out great, I mean how could it not? I've thrown a "broiler" into the slow cooker on a couple of occasions. 8+ hours at "low" and the carcass literally falls apart. Again, nothing wrong with that!

Once I had what I *think* was old chicken. Probably still a hen, but about 5 years ago my GF was given two more-than-a-quarter chicken pieces (two separate birds, more than half of the breast plus all of one leg) by friends of hers on their way through town - they're farmers and I've met their flock. We left them in the freezer for a few months then got drunk and decided to cook them.

They were delicious, with actual flavour instead of the absorb-anything-else-in-range tabula rasa of grocery-store chicken. They were also tougher, but not in a bad way. I had to work at eating these birds, but it was enjoyable work, not like weird low-grade meat or some error in processing, just chicken made of MEAT instead of being made of, uh, what I've come to expect from chickens.

Those people and their farm are about 2000 km away from me and they have no plans to head out this way anytime (ever) so I went with what I could get.

\/\/\/ Sounds like a challenge to me. Where can I buy a dead rooster?

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at Jan 15, 2018 around 04:24

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

embrace your inner slack

the most important part of the disgustingness of coq a vin is the coq
roosters are disgusting to eat
this is why we don't eat them anymore

hens are fine

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Roosters are just fine in my experience. That being said that experience is homegrown birds where the pressure cooker is your friend regardless of bird gender.

Soricidus
Oct 20, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Pillbug

Id get angry that nobody in this thread knows how to spell coq au vin but I guess its thematically appropriate

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Who has two thumbs, speaks limited French, and hasn't cried once today? This moi!

Are you talking about the cocoa van?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

embrace your inner slack

ExecuDork posted:

\/\/\/ Sounds like a challenge to me. Where can I buy a dead rooster?

you can buy capon meat online
the problem with the capon is it's got its balls cut off, so the thing i said about it being awful is not true. rooster is w/ balls
http://www.dartagnan.com/capon-whol...FCAPO002-1.html

you will prolly have to buy an adult rooster and kill it, because they don't sell rooster-with-balls meat
fryer chickens are 7 weeks. chickens are not roosters before 1 year old. most of the roosters eaten in working farms would be >3 years old, maybe >5 years

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at Jan 15, 2018 around 16:14

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A friend who had some backyard hens and wanted to hatch some chicks borrowed a rooster from another "urban farmer" for some chicken sexytimes. The rooster's name was Mr. Pot Pie as that was his intended fate.

Guessing that would have been a really nasty chicken pot pie, then? Also, chicken people are weird.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

embrace your inner slack

awfulness is in the gaminess. also the stringiness. the wine is also there in the stew to disguise the taste.
pot pie would prolly work, if you do something else for flavoring and the rooster is there for meatiness, and you butcher against the grain properly

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

Discussion Quorum posted:

A friend who had some backyard hens and wanted to hatch some chicks borrowed a rooster from another "urban farmer" for some chicken sexytimes. The rooster's name was Mr. Pot Pie as that was his intended fate.

Guessing that would have been a really nasty chicken pot pie, then? Also, chicken people are weird.

We called ours Pot Roast. I used to tell him he was going to be delicious, apparently I was wrong. He's dead now so it doesn't matter.

One of the chicks was named Quarterpack, we had a trio named K, F, and C, any male lambs are named F1, F3 etc for Freezer. It's a farmer thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

left_unattended posted:

We called ours Pot Roast. I used to tell him he was going to be delicious, apparently I was wrong. He's dead now so it doesn't matter.

One of the chicks was named Quarterpack, we had a trio named K, F, and C, any male lambs are named F1, F3 etc for Freezer. It's a farmer thing.

Aunt had a cow named Stu

«10 »