Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Using people's usernames for inspiration is also fair game. For instance,

Randompaui can be a Hawaiian fusion dish. Anne Whateley can be a booze infused breakfast pastry. NewFatMike can be made using copious amounts of plant or animal fats. Suspect Bucket can be a drink for consumption in sorority's and fraternity's only.

With goon names the world is your oyster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made my version of the Fitzgerald. Once I finish typing this post up, I'll Google what the actual drink is.

In retrospect I'm pretty sure the drink is (like most cocktails) named after some random bartender or bar owner who came up with it and has nothing in common with my choice, but in lieu of any information I've decided to emulate F. Scott Fitzgerald. Being contemporary to the prohibition and famously writing a novel set in the time period, I chose gin as the main liquor. To evoke the green light of The Great Gatsby, I chose creme de menthe. This would do well with some green food coloring to better evoke the color, but I had none available.

My recipe was partly based on the Blue Ice Martini, which I found through a Google search of existing gin and creme de menthe recipes.

The recipe I settled on:

* 2 ounces of gin
* 1 teaspoon of creme de menthe
* 2 ounces of soda water

Without any green food coloring, I decided to get some of the color and increase the complexity of the drink by using a very nice bourbon barrel-finished gin from the St. Augustine Distillery. I just bought this last Saturday and I've been itching to try it out after sampling it in the store. Their regular gin is an excellent small batch gin made with a neat botanical mix (including some citrus, I think orange peel included because Florida), but the bourbon barrel gives it a fullness you don't normally get.

My initial attempt, which did not include soda water and used 2 teaspoons of creme de menthe. Not gonna lie, I came really close to vomiting as soon as I downed this shot. The mix of flavors (especially the mint) was incredibly strong and completely undrinkable, at least as a shot.

With the creme de menthe reduced to 1 teaspoon and another 2 ounces of soda water added to dilute the mixture, it comes out perfectly drinkable (and looks a little more green than brown). It helps to choose a strong gin, as it allows the botanical flavor and the mint to intermingle. The carbonation and dilution reduce the intensity of the alcohols very well. While I don't think this is my cup of tea, I can see some people really liking this.

Now, to look up what an actual Fitzgerald is....

....at least I got the gin right.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I made an actual Fitzgerald. It actually tastes decent? In the hands of a good bartender it would be a nice alternative to an Old Fashioned if you want something sour.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah, it's a sour with bitters, or almost a gin Manhattan. I like your idea with the Gatsby colors :D

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Suspect Bucket posted:

Do I strictly need sturgeon so I can do Minnesota Sushi, or can I substitute with catfish..... Hm. I wanna do this one. It brings to mind such delights.

\/ Oh don't worry, it will incorporate elements of hot dish \/

Just FYI if you make Minnesota sushi: do not eat freshwater fish raw. They can contain more dangerous parasites and bacteria than saltwater fish typically do.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Beverage suggestions:

Prairie Fire
South Dakota Martini

For the Prairie Fire, I'd probably use whiskey as a base (since the name makes it sound like something from the Old West). Perhaps an Old Fashioned with a dash of Tabasco?

For the South Dakota Martini, it almost sounds like an ironic name about South Dakota being incredibly unsophisticated. Moonshine and lager shot?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

prairie fire makes me think of pure grain alcohol, to be honest :v:

Zanna
Oct 9, 2012
Maybe it's just me, but doom rooster sounds like a variation on coq au vin with a jet-black sauce, so probably something with squid ink.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Just FYI if you make Minnesota sushi: do not eat freshwater fish raw. They can contain more dangerous parasites and bacteria than saltwater fish typically do.

Sushi was originally only made with freshwater fish. :eng101: You can still get the old school stuff in some places around Lake Biwa.

I'm not saying you should, but it is interesting.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

RandomPauI posted:

Randompaui can be a Hawaiian fusion dish. Anne Whateley can be a booze infused breakfast pastry. NewFatMike can be made using copious amounts of plant or animal fats. Suspect Bucket can be a drink for consumption in sorority's and fraternity's only.

Do me next! Do me next!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

10 Beers posted:

Do me next! Do me next!

i uh did you last night. :wink:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

sneakyfrog posted:

i uh did you last night. :wink:

Well hello :bigtran:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Has skyline chili been suggested yet? It's also known as Cincinnati chili.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mariooncrack posted:

Has skyline chili been suggested yet? It's also known as Cincinnati chili.

It is both cool and good.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lotta peeps w/ bad suggestion to execution ratios itt

that said, someone's gotta do torpedo juice

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lotta peeps w/ bad suggestion to execution ratios itt

that said, someone's gotta do torpedo juice

I'm making real torpedo juice for my MRE thread. I'm scared.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
After seeing Maid-Rite as a suggestion earlier, I'd like to see someone's take on a Minnesota (and only Minnesota, as far as I know) classic: the Hot Beef Commercial.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm making real torpedo juice for my MRE thread. I'm scared.

0% chance that the non-understood torpedo juice is as lol as the real thing but lol

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

RandomPauI posted:

Anne Whateley can be a booze infused breakfast pastry.

This is such a cute idea, but I don't drink! I'm envisioning something like a rugelach or mini cinnamon roll with rum in the filling if anyone's interested in it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

RandomPauI posted:

Why, hello there...

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Grem posted:

I'd suggest Bubble and Squeak and I only know it from The Katering Show so I'm sure you can't disappoint me.

I have heard of bubble and squeak multiple times, to the extent that I really should have picked up on what it is. Alas, I have no idea.

Considering this is exactly how the creamed spinach episode started - I'll take this one.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Do me next! Do me next!

Easy.

The modern recipe would be an amalgamation of a made-up-but-maybe-real method for brining and basting pork roast using 10 beers and a made-up-but-maybe-real medieval dish called "tien boars".

Tien boars (ten boars) would be a pork version of turduken. A dish where dried fruit and pork sausage stuffing was served inside of a deboned deskinned beheaded smoked piglets, served inside of a rotisseried, deboned pig. It would be served as a centerpiece for the modestly wealthy and as an appetizer for the wealthy.

A modern version of this would involve apple and pork sausage stuffing inside a smoked tenderloin inside of a beer-brined, skin-on pork roast (9 cans), regularly basted with a baste that includes 1 can of beer.

Serve on large slices of toasted rye bread, then cover both with a roux made from the meat juices. Best accompanied by Sue Perkins and Giles Coren along with copious amounts of alcohol.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie

bob dobbs is dead posted:

was gonna do jam roly poly before, but i did the spam frites for the afp thread so i didn't wanna fry more than once. also i ran out of oil. so here's frybread

the texture was absolutely like donuts but the flavor was absolutely like tempura so i just had it w/ ketchup

The doughnut texture is spot on, apparently, but real fry bread isn't *quite* that simple.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Are we allowed to claim more than one? Because my heart's desire is corned beef but I could do horrors to toad in the hole.

Horrors greater than my average cooking scheme, and oldgoons in here know how bad that is.

left_unattended posted:

The doughnut texture is spot on, apparently, but real fry bread isn't *quite* that simple.

I'm used to this fry bread and now I want to go make that fry bread and see what the difference is.

I also wanna submit hickory drink for someone to make.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 30, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's 1:37 am, I just made a run to the grocery store for everything I'd need to make doom rooster. Including jerk seasoning for some reason.

Ingredients include:

2 kinds of potatoes
Celary
Onion
Garlic
Red bell pepper
Butter
Whole milk
Seasoning
Corn
Tortillas

I already have salt, pepper, and oil at home. Let's do this! Monday! Because today involves family stuff.

Edit: also cheese, but not lettuce. Guess I'm going the taquito route.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010
I'm going to claim Fish-Head Fire-Pot for next weekend. The local Asian market sells fish heads and I've got some ideas.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Why has nobody suggested fish cock?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pardon me, I refuse to kill idiot children. Unless the bucket is entirely full of nourishing and healthful soup that only tastes like it has alcohol in it, and is secretly full of fiber that gives you regret poops the next day.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I call fish cock! That's the first one I didn't know outright, it's mine. I get the fish cock.

I'll be eating fish cock by Wednesday, I mean it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pardon me, I refuse to kill idiot children. Unless the bucket is entirely full of nourishing and healthful soup that only tastes like it has alcohol in it, and is secretly full of fiber that gives you regret poops the next day.

Elise the Great's Cannible Chili didn't actually use any dead kids. Just placenta.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Once this cold snap lets up a little bit, I'm going to go get the ingredients for Jell-o Salad.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can all agree that bollocks monkey is a chocolate, balls shaped pastry with two nuts, covered with brown sprinkles, white sprinkles, and a white chocolate drizzle. Right?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

fizzymercy posted:

I call fish cock! That's the first one I didn't know outright, it's mine. I get the fish cock.

I'll be eating fish cock by Wednesday, I mean it.

I have actually eaten fish cock and I'm excited to see the interpretation.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Alright, time for some more Finnish dishes. :finland:

Grave salmon, served with overly sweetened potato box
Robber roast
Fat gravy
Macaroni box

Fast food.
Atom
Hydrogen
A person from Pori

Things to eat with coffee (since we drink the most coffee per capita).
Slap on the ear
Bread cheese
Pepper cake

Neofelis fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 1, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Neofelis posted:

Alright, time to some more Finnish dishes. :finland:

Grave salmon, served with overly sweetened potato box
Robber roast
Fat gravy
Macaroni box

Fast food.
Atom
Hydrogen
A person from Pori

Things to eat with coffee (since we drink the most coffee per capita).
Slap on the ear
Bread cheese
Pepper cake

Is Finland...okay?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

chitoryu12 posted:

Is Finland...okay?

I think the answer to that is always "No."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Put me down for Three Olives, I think I got this.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

Is Finland...okay?

Find out in the bad pizza thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3792275

Spoiler: No.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Doom Rooster is put on hold again because I need to cook $60 of meat for my mom. Dad bought a big rib roast, cooked half of it all the way thru, cooked the other half part of the way, and now...well, I don't know. I'll play it by ear I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

I would like to go ahead and claim Puppy Chow.

I'm guessing Rice Krispie treats, but less fancy? And with different cereals, maybe chocolate chips or candy.

Grocery store tomorrow night.

• Locked thread