Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's a bakery in San Jose that makes a sweet bread/cookie combination called pan de manos, bread of the hand.

It is deliciously sweet, slightly spicy, and soft. Almost like a cinnamon bun. It is also crumbly, buttery, heavy, and slightly nutty. Like a shortbread cookie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
God I want to see how you reinvent pan de manos.

A California burrito is basically a steak burrito with fries instead of rice.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 9, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There is a California roll burrito, which is a burrito sized California roll. So it was a reasonable guess. There'd be more veggies in it though. And a mayo-based sauce.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My username is randompaui, with an i. And paui is hawaiian for all. So I guess my name would inspire some sort of Hawaiian dish.

(several minutes of wikipedia later)

Oh yeah, it'd definitely be some Hawaiian casserole, stew, or bento/plate lunch.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Utica also gave birth to a dish called Chicken Riggies.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pasta may or may not be a component of chicken riggies

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had an idea for an approach for doom rooster. Treat doom as if it were a mispronunciation/spelling of a word in another language. The options include: meanwhile rooster (Esperanto), we see rooster (Greek), stupid rooster (Dutch), they give rooster (Portuguese), they hurt rooster (Portuguese).

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I can only hope that stupid rooster is some sort of meatless, savory pastry.

I think I've got it!

Doom Roster's name is fictionally inspired by a dish whose original name is lost to history. The recipe was associated with bad cooks who were "te dom om een worst te roosteren". In English, that translates to "To Dumb to Roast a Sausage". That recipe could have fallen out of favor by the 1800s, kept alive by a group of Dutch vegetarians who might have settled in California in the late 1800s. Over the years it was Americanized and Mexicanized because I said so.

Now I just need to figure out the evolution of the recipe. And the recipe.

Edit 2:

I have a rough idea for the recipe and the ingredients.

Ingredients: potatoes, carrots, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper, milk, crushed red pepper flakes, butter, cheese, corn tortillas

Mash potatoes, carrots, milk, butter, and seasonings together.
Put it into corn tortillas
Fry them in butter
Use leftover butter and seasonings to make a butter sauce
Pour sauce over the doom roosters
Put cheddar on top of the doom roosters.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 11, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I won't be back able to make doom rooster until Thursday or Friday.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Well, yeah. They would want people to buy domestic like bobcats and mountain lions.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Their condom full of pins should be easy to create.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I still plan on making Doom Rooster but won't be opposed to someone else taking a crack at it. I've just been busy with the Thomas fire and family stuff.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm imagining a drink that's part soda, part black currant preserve, part citrus alcohol?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Using people's usernames for inspiration is also fair game. For instance,

Randompaui can be a Hawaiian fusion dish. Anne Whateley can be a booze infused breakfast pastry. NewFatMike can be made using copious amounts of plant or animal fats. Suspect Bucket can be a drink for consumption in sorority's and fraternity's only.

With goon names the world is your oyster.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Do me next! Do me next!

Easy.

The modern recipe would be an amalgamation of a made-up-but-maybe-real method for brining and basting pork roast using 10 beers and a made-up-but-maybe-real medieval dish called "tien boars".

Tien boars (ten boars) would be a pork version of turduken. A dish where dried fruit and pork sausage stuffing was served inside of a deboned deskinned beheaded smoked piglets, served inside of a rotisseried, deboned pig. It would be served as a centerpiece for the modestly wealthy and as an appetizer for the wealthy.

A modern version of this would involve apple and pork sausage stuffing inside a smoked tenderloin inside of a beer-brined, skin-on pork roast (9 cans), regularly basted with a baste that includes 1 can of beer.

Serve on large slices of toasted rye bread, then cover both with a roux made from the meat juices. Best accompanied by Sue Perkins and Giles Coren along with copious amounts of alcohol.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It's 1:37 am, I just made a run to the grocery store for everything I'd need to make doom rooster. Including jerk seasoning for some reason.

Ingredients include:

2 kinds of potatoes
Celary
Onion
Garlic
Red bell pepper
Butter
Whole milk
Seasoning
Corn
Tortillas

I already have salt, pepper, and oil at home. Let's do this! Monday! Because today involves family stuff.

Edit: also cheese, but not lettuce. Guess I'm going the taquito route.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pardon me, I refuse to kill idiot children. Unless the bucket is entirely full of nourishing and healthful soup that only tastes like it has alcohol in it, and is secretly full of fiber that gives you regret poops the next day.

Elise the Great's Cannible Chili didn't actually use any dead kids. Just placenta.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We can all agree that bollocks monkey is a chocolate, balls shaped pastry with two nuts, covered with brown sprinkles, white sprinkles, and a white chocolate drizzle. Right?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Doom Rooster is put on hold again because I need to cook $60 of meat for my mom. Dad bought a big rib roast, cooked half of it all the way thru, cooked the other half part of the way, and now...well, I don't know. I'll play it by ear I guess?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That's what they want you to think, the real poo poo was a late night hallucinogenic. Well documented in newspapers of the time. The man just said it was bread and cheese to throw kids off the trail.

Edit: Serious question, would it even be legal to make that a drug and booze infused dish?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welsh Rarebit certainly has a different flavor profile than this. But this premise should work as a "quick" midnight snack that honors the spirit of "late night food that will trip you up". "Quick" so long as everything was prepared in advance.

A buttered/toasted slice of cannabis-infused brioche topped with a desert-bourbon infused cream-cheese, honey, and nuts.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My families personal misfortune is the threads gain. Tonight I make bollocks monkey in my mom's kitchen. After I get flour from WinCo.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Phone posting, bollocks monkey cookie dough worked well in a pizzelle maker, just waiting for oven ones to finish.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
COOKING CHALLENGE: Bollocks Monkey
INTERPRETATION: Nutty, spicy cookies.

The past few days have been long and rough. So much so that I decided to confiscate my mom's kitchen while she was in the hospital. And do my laundry since my apartment blocks washers and dryers are on the fritz pretty often.

I used a generic “Mexican” chocolate cookie as a template, one that didn't actually use any Mexican chocolate. That could not stand! My Mexican chocolate cookie would use over 90% Mexican chocolate even if that meant googling how to melt blocks of Mexican chocolate!

Instead of getting a nice, thick, dense cookie from the generic recipe I got a cookie that spread thin and melted in the mouth. I don’t know if the chocolate substitution was that big a deal or if I forgot another ingredient along the way.

I know this cookie can be improved, I’m just not sure how right now. Unfortunately, the photos can’t be improved.

Bollocks Monkey ingredients and recipe posted:

1st set of ingredients: Chocolate
1 brick of Mexican hot chocolate like Abuelita’s
(Makes 1/4th a cup of hot chocolate powder after it’s hit with a hammer repeatedly. A much more efficient, effective, and satisfying experience than buying and using a micro-grater)
2 tablespoons worth of milk chocolate.
1 stick unsweetened butter (8 tbsp)

2 set of ingredients: Flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (I forgot to add this)

3rd set of ingredients: Sugar
½ cup of packed light brown sugar (I almost added 1 cup by accident, so I eyeballed half of that.)
¼ cup of sugar (Eyeballed this too)
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Optional ingredients for an authentic bollock of a monkey:
6(?) tablespoons of coarsely chopped and roasted almonds. (I only used three tablespoons and that wound up not being enough.)
Those big grains of sugar to simulate lice (did not attempt, too unsure of the texture)
Chocolate sprinkles to simulate hair (did not attempt, too cheap to buy them)
White chocolate drizzle to simulate bollock juice (did not attempt, too tired)

Part 0: Prep

Preheat oven to 325 degrees, or get out your pizzelle maker.

Part 1: Chocolate

Put the Mexican hot chocolate brick into a few plastic bags and wack a hammer against it until it’s mostly powdered.

Melt the powder and 2 tablespoons of milk chocolate wafers together in a double boiler or a microwave, stirring frequently

If you're nuking the chocolate, nuke it for 15-30 seconds at a time, stir, and nuke it again until you get the desired results.

The chocolate is melted enough when it easily drops off a fork.

Then add a stick of butter to the chocolate, stirring it until the butter is completely melted.

Put to the side and let it cool.

Part 2: Flour

Sift the flour, chili powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper together in a bowl.

If you don’t have a sifter then hope that your idea to improvise with a slotted spoon works.

Put it to the side.

Part 3: Sugar

Add brown sugar, sugar, vanilla extract, and eggs to a large bowl, beat on slow until well blended.

(I forgot to take a pic)

Part 4: Blending

Pour the melted chocolate into the sugar batter and blend them well.

(forgot to take a pic here too)

Then add the flour to the combined batter. Blend together on low until all the flour is gone.

Then add the toasted almonds.

Part 5: Baking

Chill the batter half an hour in a fridge.

Scoop the cookie dough onto a baking sheet using a cookie dough scooper. One cookie dough scoops worth of batter will expand to the size of a CD, so plan accordingly.

Then bake the cookies.

For a chewier cookie, bake for a total of 14 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 7 minute mark.

For a crispier cookie, bake for a total of 18 minutes. Rotate the cooking tray at the 9 minute mark.

For a pizzelle maker, set yours to 3, add a cookie dough scopes worth of batter, and cook for 40-45 seconds.

If everything goes well you get copper colored pizzelles and big cookie disks.

Both types of cookie had a spicy, nutty taste to them that complemented the chocolate. And their thin nature gave the cookies a nice firm crunch. But the high amount of sugar and butter resulted in cookies that would melt in the mouth with every bite. The closest comparison that I can think of would be if someone turned cotton candy into a chocolate cookie.

The cookies seemed to taste the best as pizzelles. They had a light, crispy, airy quality that I never experienced in a cookie before. I honestly regret not being able to photograph the many air pockets that filled the pizzelles. With that said, getting the batter portions and the timing right is very difficult.

If you decide to bake them in an oven, try pairing the finished cookies with something like ice cream or cheesecake.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 11, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I want to bake an experimental recipe again, but don't know which suggestion to take. Can anyone recommend something?

Edit: I'll also need to work on the consistency of the pizzellles when I revisit Bollocks Monkey, their density and crispiness really varied between the first successful three and the last successful three.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 12, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why not just use the fat dough to make a pancake or something?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm in an awkward position of trying to find out if it's possible to use potatoes as a starch for candy and only pulling up assorted potato candy recipes. :sigh:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Pookah shared the Boyld Brawne with us in another thread, along with this catchphrase. "A brawny Churchman makes a hearty meal."

Technically there's no way we could recreate the recipe in a timely manner, even if we wanted to. But it sounds perfect as a cooking challenge prompt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Whose to say that the French didn't name peanuts after spiders? After all, the British added an i to "aluminum" on a lark. And we insist on calling rock and roll with a southern accent "country music"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Scarodactyl posted:

Way to waste a perfectly good false cognate. I want spider sauce :(

Why not both? I can probably pull something out of my rear end.

The French considered peanuts to only be good as animal feed. To make matters worse, poor packing processes resulted in shipments to France being full of spiders.

So the French went for a clever pun. They combined the Greek words arákhidna and arákhnē. These translate to spider, and chickling food. They specifically went with Greek because they considered the peanut beneath the French language. Thus peanuts were coined arachides.

I'd imagine the creator of the recipe cackled like this after putting it on chicken or putting chicken into it.

"Ha ha, mon ami, I am eating you using a sauce you cannot eat! It is beneath me but I use it to show you that you are even more beneath me!" That stereotypically French chef then spat on the ground after finishing his sentence.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Feb 7, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Just to be clear, my thing was pulling an etymological history from two real words so that the Arachnes recipe could work as peanut sauce and spider sauce.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about making drinks based on songs? Or usernames?

"Purple Toupee", Shooting Blanks, Tiggum, "Mr. Tillman", etc.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd probably be some sort of sweet mocktail that came bundled with a savory snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This might work as a base for a Fleta. 2 parts pear cider, 1 part straight pear infused whey alcohol (vodka in a pinch).

Pear cider in honor of Ireland, whey in honor of viking ancestors and to get drunk more fleta (swift).

Edit: whey alcohol is a milk based alcohol that's got roughly the same alcohol content as vokda.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 12, 2018

• Locked thread