Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009
Alright, time for some more Finnish dishes. :finland:

Grave salmon, served with overly sweetened potato box
Robber roast
Fat gravy
Macaroni box

Fast food.
Atom
Hydrogen
A person from Pori

Things to eat with coffee (since we drink the most coffee per capita).
Slap on the ear
Bread cheese
Pepper cake

Neofelis fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

Doom Rooster posted:

Tiger Skin Bell-Pepper

I could give this one a go so that I'm not just dumping dishes in.

Merkin Muffley posted:

I’m calling this one. I have some, uhhh, ideas...

Just to let you know, these aren't necessarily always paired together, I just thought it'd be nice since neither is a full dish by itself. That said, they are often found at the same time in a larger selection of dishes so it's not any sort of sacrilege to eat them together.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

bob dobbs is dead posted:

[Fat Gravy]
i started with a piece of salt pork. the aim was to get as many possible variations of fat into this thing

on some bread with jam on the side

taste-wise, this was basically a roundabout way of making something that tastes exactly like 40% oil, 60% browned butter. can't taste the cream but i bet that's part of the butter taste

Awesome entry, thanks! When I saw the pork I was thinking "they're gonna nail it", but didn't quite end up like that.

Fat gravy/sauce (läskisoosi) is basically a pork sauce made with fatty pork belly (I think?) and onions. It's thickened with wheat flour and seasoned with salt and a small amount of black pepper. Maybe some allspice or bayleaf, if you're feeling brave. (Finns have traditionally used very little spices.)

Serve with potatoes, pickles and lingonberries with a touch of sugar. Something like this:

Neofelis posted:

[Tiger Skin Bell Pepper]
I could give this one a go so that I'm not just dumping dishes in.

And so I did! Tiger Skin Bell Pepper sounds like a striped, stuffed bell pepper, so that's what I wanted to make. I thought I'd cut some stripes to the bell peppers, so after I roast them in the oven I can just peel of parts and make it look like a tiger!

Roasting!

Meanwhile, for the stuffing, I cut down my last chili. (Time to plant this year's lot later this week!)

Besides that, I added some onion, garlic, cashew nuts and carrot, and fried them a bit.

Added cooked rice on the pan with a couple of teaspoons of soy sauce and one teaspoon of sesame oil. When the bell peppers were nearly done, I also added spring onions. (Could've had a higher veggies-to-rice ratio, but this was fine too since there's a lot of bell pepper.)

Unfortunately the bell peppers were already all soft and squished under their own weight, so I didn't even try to get them any blacker than this. Trying to peel off every other sliced piece of skin seemed like too much :effort: compared to the usefulness, so I decided against it after a couple of bits.

The end result.

The bell peppers were already a bit too soft and sweet, so stuffing didn't work as well as I'd hoped. At least the taste was good and I think I'll do a similar dish in the future without pre-roasting or striping the bell peppers, just putting them in the oven with the stuffing for 10-15 minutes.

Neofelis
Jun 22, 2009

CrispKing posted:

Macaroni Box

It's a box filled with macaroni and cheese -- anyone know what the real macaroni box is?

Quite close, quite close. In traditional Finnish makaronilaatikko instead of cheese you have a milk-egg mixture. Then you have some ground beef/pork and an onion. Season with salt and pepper, stick it in the oven until it's set and serve with ketchup.

• Locked thread