Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I offer up for the challenge a cultural cornerstone of my terrible state: funeral potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

Already suggest and claimed! Execudork and rumble in the bunghole will both be going after it.
Oh damnit, I scanned the OP and missed it :downs:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'm still waiting on the goddamn funeral potatoes :mad: Whoever claimed that poo poo get on it!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

I'm looking through the OP and can't find a listing for the entry you completed. Did I miss it? Let me know and I'll put it up there.

SubponticatePoster posted:

I offer up for the challenge a cultural cornerstone of my terrible state: funeral potatoes.

Doom Rooster posted:

Already suggest and claimed! Execudork and rumble in the bunghole will both be going after it.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 5, 2018

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Doom Rooster posted:

Oh I know that you suggested it, I was just calling you out for complaining when you have not completed anything yourself.
But I didn't claim anything! Also there's nothing in the OP that says you have to do something before yelling at other people :colbert:

Having said that I'll look over the list, I know a lot of this stuff either through osmosis or because I looked it up when it was posted out of curiosity and see what weird poo poo I can come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ExecuDork posted:

Funeral Potatoes
In my more lucid moments, I suppose this is the name for a potato recipe that is brought to funerals / the home of the family of the deceased in the US Midwest as one of those neighbourly things. Kind of an alternative to a casserole, just something mostly made out of spuds to save the grieving widow or whoever from the need to cook. That sounds either terribly boring or horrifying, if the actual funeral potatoes are some kind of gelatin salad thing the US Midwest invented in the 1950's.

Either way, beyond my ken. So I decided to carve potatoes into coffin shapes.
Doom Rooster Potatoes Before by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Lots of oil, some more of that old ground black pepper, and some tarragon mainly for colour.

Doom Rooster Potatoes After by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
After 30 minutes in the oven, when I flipped them - they got 1 hour total.
Fantastic. Your lucidity is correct, it's a name for a potato dish traditionally taken to the family after a funeral that just needs reheating. I was hoping someone would get weird because "funeral potatoes" is just a generic term and everybody has their own take on it - they're generally thin-cut or scalloped, covered in cheese and whatnot and baked in the oven. In these parts, it's a Mormon thing.

• Locked thread