Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

life is killing me posted:

There was no Hvitserk or Sigurd, and Halfdan was one of the brothers I think.

As I understand, Halfdan and Hvitserk are the same person if we're talking about Ragnar's sons. Halfdan was known as Whiteshirt, which I believe is Hvitserk in Norse or whatever. Show Halfdan is someone else.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dalael posted:

...As for Rollo, I don't want to see him in Vikings ever again.

I want a Spinoff because historically speaking, he deserves no less :black101:

I honestly expected (expect?) him to get one. (hope!)

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

The time skips and hallucinations in this episode are super weird and confusing and I don't like them at all.

Edit: The man, the myth, THE LEGEND.

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 25, 2018

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Holy poo poo as lackluster as the Vikings midseason finale honestly was, this episode of Knightfall just turned into some inside job globalist conspiracy poo poo.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Rollo help Lagertha escape and lead a nomad life. Bjorn and Lagertha just rockin' around Europe, making Russian people, Rollo goes back to France. Ivar can gently caress up all the English people forever.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I'm predicting this purely from the smug look on Rollo's face, but I think his plan is to have the Frankish armies attack Kattegut and conquer it after the Viking armies are weakened from fighting each other.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought Kattegat was a lovely town with crap farmlands.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's the major trade hub for all of norway

plus, rollo grudges with the best of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Man that was a poo poo ep. What happened to when Vikings had good battle scenes and actual shield walls? Now we get hollywood every man for himself bullshit without even the suggestion of a battle line and every named character gets to have a little personal moment in the middle of it all and no-one ever kills them when they're literally knelt down having a mourning session in the middle of a swirling melee even if they're a loving king

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYz439cA5w

The first ever Vikings battle scene and still the best

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Also Halfdan owned and seeing him go all Obi Wan when he ran into his smug douche brother on the battlefield really sucked

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I wasn’t impressed by this ep and now I’m angry at History for giving us this mid-season finale that was basically filler for the second half of the season where (I hope) real poo poo is going to happen. I’m also not impressed by the battle, just basically got to see all the major characters fight like they are untouchable, especially Heahmund who for some reason reminded me of a samurai. And no shield wall? Not even one? I’d have been happier with one dude going, “Hey, uh, remember that shield wall thing we used to do? Let’s do that...” and everyone else saying gently caress him. But of course with a shield wall Ivar might not win effortlessly, so we better have a pitched battle where no one could possibly know who to kill, like the Franks who just run past Harald like they can tell the Vikings apart from one another.

Anyway, guess I was wrong about us not seeing Rollo again, unless this is a typical Vikings fake-out a la Margrethe with Bjorn’s kids and they just want us to think we will see more of him next half of the season. But I can only hope we get to see some Rollo-ing and that this also means Taken is cancelled.

I mean I still like Vikings but I’m pretty disappointed this season tbqh

ne: Guthrum is supposed to live, though? I mean, historically he eventually converts to Christianity and actually lives as a Christian king in Wessex or Mercia without ever going Viking again. So am I crazy or did Guthrum just take an axe in the chest and die?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 25, 2018

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
That was a really tedious and annoying way to kill off a few minor characters.

Also Lagertha had the high ground. You knew you were outnumbered why did you fight them in the valley in a huge mess of warriors instead of doing a shieldwall at the top of the hill. Why did you send your forest ninja Sami against a much larger force of Vikings so they could get owned? Where did their blowguns go, did they decide going against a bunch of Vikings with stones attached to ropes was a good idea?

I guess Lagertha has white hair now too?

dumb ep

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I should have stopped watching when they made Ragnar a drug addict, it's been a steady decline since. This episode was so dumb they should pretend it never happened and start over.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
What the gently caress was this episode?

I liked Lagertha's cool face paint at least. I think I'd like Margarethe as a character more if it seemed like there was an actual arc in store for her, but I feel like she's another Yidu. It feels like she's just around to be someone for the audience to hate. I think that's my biggest issue with this show as it progresses, they write up too many potential plot threads that they proceed to abandon without any fanfare. The show is steadily losing my trust because I'm not sure what I'm supposed to care about.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 26, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
MY MAINEST MAN RETURNS and has gotten really old :lol:

Lagertha looks 28 forever (good feat since the actress is like 40) and everyone around her ages like gently caress. I hope she bites it soon so the endless plotline of "Lagerthas pussy drives everyone mad" can end.
I thought the episode was pretty good, really tragic on all accounts. A little bit slow and lacking in any real development for a midseason finale tho.

Edit: also Ivar the Boneless just straight up walking now without crutches, glad they invented bionics (THAT was stupid)

Edit2: it worries me tho that the prospects for more mediterranean adventures are looking slim. bjørns travelling buddy is dead, his new wife is dead, kattegat is falling, etc etc. he can't set out until all that is resolved and would it even be entertaining without halfdan?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 26, 2018

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

It does seem that the show is going to evolve once again, like it did after Ragnars' death. Maybe another time skip when this season ends.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

What was the point of Bjorn's ninja wife?

Also I laughed really hard when Ivar just started walking around. They should have just gone all-in and have him charge into battle.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

nooneofconsequence posted:

What was the point of Bjorn's ninja wife?

Also I laughed really hard when Ivar just started walking around. They should have just gone all-in and have him charge into battle.

I think that was to satisfy the prophecy about Bjorn marrying the daughter of a king.

Bjorn's whole prophecy might amount to nothing more than two small outings into the Mediterranean and being married to a princess for roughly five minutes (an exaggeration but that's what it feels like).

I'm pretty salty about it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw some discussion about Ivar walking around elsewhere. I think we are seeing it from his perspective, or how he wants something to be. It's a fantasy. It's like how Halfdan had visions of the desert during the battle.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw some discussion about Ivar walking around elsewhere. I think we are seeing it from his perspective, or how he wants something to be. It's a fantasy. It's like how Halfdan had visions of the desert during the battle.

Ah yes, that makes sense. If i were just a minuscule amount less retarded i would have made that connection that the entire episode spent trying to hammer into me :negative:
Wonder if the skeletons was him wanting everyone to die then.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I feel like Lagertha would've been a skeleton too if that were the case.

Unless she's the Skeleton Queen.

Lagertha is the Skeleton Queen.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Viridiant posted:

I feel like Lagertha would've been a skeleton too if that were the case.

Unless she's the Skeleton Queen.

Lagertha is the Skeleton Queen.

The Boneless vs. the Skeleton Queen? It's a natural feud

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
It's kind of astonishing just how bad this show got in the past few seasons. It used to be such a well paced and interesting show but now it's nothing but a mess of plots (most of which don't seem to matter and are abandoned like they shot all this extra footage as an experiment and accidentally put it in the show during editing), bizarre romances, and a whole slew of characters that don't need to be there. Why was Jarl Borg's son in the show? I honestly had no idea who the gently caress that was until he died and someone made a point of mentioning who his dad was. It feels more like a bad soap opera set in Viking times now.

This is the episode I jumped ship.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Ivar the Boneless saw everyone as skeletons because he is jealous of their bones

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's kind of astonishing just how bad this show got in the past few seasons. It used to be such a well paced and interesting show but now it's nothing but a mess of plots (most of which don't seem to matter and are abandoned like they shot all this extra footage as an experiment and accidentally put it in the show during editing), bizarre romances, and a whole slew of characters that don't need to be there. Why was Jarl Borg's son in the show? I honestly had no idea who the gently caress that was until he died and someone made a point of mentioning who his dad was. It feels more like a bad soap opera set in Viking times now.

This is the episode I jumped ship.

Pretty sure it was Guthrum, who is supposed to live and go to England and eventually becomes a Christian.

But you’re right, one of the characters that doesn’t need to be there is Margrethe, who is an eternally-sullen teenager who has never smiled, and who was freed but thanks her former captors by plotting against them and generally being a huge oval office

A huge oval office who really is of no consequence on the story

It just feels like they are adding too many characters for them or anyone else to handle and consequently they have to shorten their stories. So basically I blame Margrethe’s oresence for the fact that Bjorn didn’t have more time in the Mediterranean because they kept having to cut back to a scene with Margrethe being an ungrateful oval office

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
To be fair - I couldn't see myself rooting for people that used to own me.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
I can't decide what's more underwhelming...the entirety of the mid-season finale, or Æthelwulf dying out of the blue from a loving bee sting.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

JoshGuitar posted:

Æthelwulf dying out of the blue from a loving bee sting.

I didn't mind that. It was the middle ages, people died to random allergies and poo poo all the time because modern medicine wasn't a thing back then

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
When’s this little pile of poop back on the air?

Suxpool
Nov 20, 2002
I want something good to die for...to make it beautiful to live

Wafflecopper posted:

I didn't mind that. It was the middle ages, people died to random allergies and poo poo all the time because modern medicine wasn't a thing back then

Yeah this actually seemed quite reasonable. Felt like an ironic end to a warrior king. People still die from bee stings today.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Dying of a bee sting seemed fitting, an unremarkable end to an unremarkable character. It was probably one of the most sensible things that happened all half-season. Better than taking your raiding fleet to the Mediterranean only to send them home, fart around for a few weeks then go home yourself. Or a bunch of Vikings sailing off to a new land only to bitch long and loud because there wasn't already a settlement built for them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The bee death was cool and good.

I agree wholeheartedly with the person complaining about the lack of shield walls and the lovely melees. It looks so stupid and doesn't convey any type of momentum. It's like a bunch of people having duels in a field.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Wafflecopper posted:

Man that was a poo poo ep. What happened to when Vikings had good battle scenes and actual shield walls? Now we get hollywood every man for himself bullshit without even the suggestion of a battle line and every named character gets to have a little personal moment in the middle of it all and no-one ever kills them when they're literally knelt down having a mourning session in the middle of a swirling melee even if they're a loving king

Remember this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTYz439cA5w

The first ever Vikings battle scene and still the best

It's too bad they seem to have all forgotten how to fight and just do 1 on 1 crazy melees now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Last Kingdom has much better battles and interesting cinematography. There was one battle that was all POV and in one take. You see them do cool strategies too.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

You also see the Mary Sue protagonist jump over the enemy shield wall and solo their entire back line

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Ah yes, the popular medieval war tactic of jumping over the enemies' defense.

Team that can jump the highest auto-wins.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Bee death was the only time I liked and was interested in Æthelwulf at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wafflecopper posted:

You also see the Mary Sue protagonist jump over the enemy shield wall and solo their entire back line

They haven't done anything like that in season 2. He also gets taken down a few pegs and isn't all-powerful anymore.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

They haven't done anything like that in season 2. He also gets taken down a few pegs and isn't all-powerful anymore.

Do they still use those stuipid rear end square shields? If so I'm gonna stick to the books. I dunno why but it really gets my goat that they gave the brits those weird rear end shields that look like rear end to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I saw it a while ago but I don't recall the british fighting very much. It was mostly the Danes fighting each other, if you count Uhtred as a Dane. In the second season the Brits and invaders are starting to integrate together with many of the invaders converting to Christianity.

• Locked thread