Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Vikings is one of the flagship historical dramas on The History Channel following the mythical(to some extent) viking folkhero Ragnar Lothbrok, his family and their neverending struggle to put their mark on the world.

Season 5, where are they now? Spoilers, obviously.

Ragnar Lodbrok: STILL VERY DEAD

Rollo: Happy wife, happy life, somewhere in northern France

Lagertha: Ruling the increasingly prosperous tradehub of Kattegat and having increasingly violent sex

Floki: Highseas adventure with Floki and his pet raven Peckers transitioning into :lost:

Ivar the Boneless: Having a grand old time in England

Bjørn Ironside: Exploring the mediterranean

The other sons: boring or dead

Vikings airs on The History Channel on Thursdays

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Reserved in case i want to do something fancy.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I tried searching and all i could find was the season 4 thread which has gone into archives. Were you guys discussing this show in some megathread somewhere or did the search fail to find the new Vikings thread? If so just let me know where it is and i'll close this one.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 7, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
He also does the "hm? "mm?" at the end of sentences a lot like Ragnar did. He's Ragnar lite.
I think Ubbe is a pretty interesting character in some ways. He tries so desperately to embody all that Ragnar was, but instead of succeeding at everything, he fails at everything so spectacularly (so far at least).

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
It sure looks like Iceland which i thiiiinnkk is uninhabited in ca 820?(my islandic history is almost zero)
Gonna be interesting to see what new and exciting ways Floki will find to be insane there if so.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

life is killing me posted:

Yeah it's especially hard to stomach it especially when you hear History and the actors and actresses from the show praise its realism and research into history as being as accurate as they can get it. I mean, it's most definitely not a show with fantasy mixed in with history.

Nope, not at all.

Not even a little bit.

Are you saying that Odin isn't real and that waterfalls can't reverse???

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Really liked this episode. It felt a bit slow, but that's because the last episodes and end of last season was loving nonstop warfare. Have a funny feeling the opening shot of next episode is gonna be violent again tho :q:

Bjørn + Mediterranean intrigue is looking really interesting too. Little bit surprised that they are jumping straight to the Byzantine Empire stuff, i assumed that they would have some minor pillaging plot stuff before that, but who knows what's in store.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Trying to figure out which Harald this Harald is, I found that Sigurd Snake in the Eye's son gets together with Alfred the Great's daughter irl. Did he even have a son in the show befor Ivar killed him?

Was that the one that boned Ubbes wife? She'd probably be showing now tho if she was pregnant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
There isn't a Knightfall thread either!
The forums are so dead :negative:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Is Knightfall any good? I had high hopes due to Vikings, but I'm not ready to jump in.

I have no idea, that's why i wanted to check out the thread. I usually wait until at least half a season is available before i start watching a brand new show. I'm okay now tho cause i just discovered Deadwood :toot:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

You're setting yourself up for heartbreak.

Why? Was it cancelled?

edit: god drat it, it was. oh well, i'll enjoy whats there

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
:lol: cute cliffhanger.

Ivar bringing home his own little Athelsten is super interesting, think this one is just a tiny bit more devoted tho. Excited to see what becomes of him.
Lagertha continuing to make weird decisions and acting bitchy, would be surprised if she survives this season.

Show is really strong right now! I didn't think last season that there would be a time where i didn't miss Ragnar, but here we are.

Constant posted:

we'll probably never see Rollo again will we

I really want to see him again, after Ragnar he was my favorite, but his story feels pretty finished.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I can't remember how we picked up Sinrik this time around. Last thing i remember from him was leaving Rollo out to hang in french court intrigue and then he appears on Bjørns boat. Is there a scene i'm forgetting, or was it just like "oh he's back again, heard about Bjørn etc".

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Probably a god in disguise.

Bit timid to be Loki :q:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Zero One posted:

I'm not sure why that nun woman wants Bjorn and the others dead. It's not like they had been the guy's "bodyguards" for long and their desire to meet the Emir help her plots.

If anything she should be thanking them.

Heathens/witnesses/unsure about allegiance/big ol bitch or all four maybe! They seem kinda unstable really with the whole cannibalism thing and arranging trade deals with them then trying to kill them.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bit of a lull in the thread, still couple of days until new episode, so i was wondering if we still have some Deadwood people ITT for something offtopic? The slang/dialect of the old west has me really confused on a plotpoint and i don't want to google cause i'll find like 10+ year old spoilers.

I'm at the last episode of season one and i can't understand: Why is Sveringer so eager and HAPPY to have Montana be sheriff? He could control the previous guy i imagine, Montana he doesn't like and is honorable to the point of mental illness.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Cocksuckers!!!!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Viridiant posted:

It'd be nice if Hirst could commit to the Mediterranean side of the story finally.

Yeah, that was super disappointing. One scene they are fleeing across the desert and i'm going "woah, this will be interesting!", then the next time we see them they are in Kattegat :sad:

Bishop Hegmund and Ivar were interesting this episode, but other than that i was kinda bored.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

FogHelmut posted:

Yeah what the hell is going on with Bjorn's story? They just abandoned it because they want him in Kattegat?

Seems like it yeah.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

-Blackadder- posted:

Catching up on this now, looking good so far. Is there a thread for Knightfall?

Nope! I'll probably start watching it in a couple of days and if i like it (discover things i have questions about) i might make a thread about it.

Anyone can just go ahead and make a thread tho, a tv-show thread doesn't have to be a big chore. Knightfall - Season 1 "dumb quote", bare minimums op with pictures of the main characters and info about where you can watch it. Nobody reads the op anyway.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I really like what they are doing with Ubbe. In his mannerisms, apperance and speech he means/they write him to appear to be Ragnar. But it's all a lie. He seems to be weak, stupid and easily manipulated, nothing like the great cunning warlord that was his father.

It's just extremely interesting to me to watch his character unfold and wonder if he will realise it himself and grow or be swallowed whole, or if he has even me fooled.

Athelsten's son (Alfred?) is shaping up to be really loving cool. Did someone say that he historically becomes a king? English history before 1600 is pretty unknown to me.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

:aaaaa:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

There's another vikings show called The Last Kingdom that's all about Alfred

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4enGL-yPiI

Wonder how far they will go with him here. He's extremely intersting, but i guess a lot of what he did is outside the scope of what Vikings is all about.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

John F Bennett posted:

I have to admit, I wasn't a big fan of the ball chewing part.

Don't knock it till you try it.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
meh

MEH

I wanted Ivar to win because i'm really tired of Katheryn Winnick. Idk what it is, but her "nordic accent" has become so extremely grating to me and i'm really tired of hearing her speak in it. If shes gonna have a Bishop Hegmund plot tho that could be interesting. Plus i doubt this is the last of Ivars strategies, i just hope we don't get like 1-2 episodes that are basically just "ivar is sad" cause without good Ivar action (and now no Bjørn adventures) the show is just Ubbe being stupid, Floki playing Settlers 2 and Alfred looking at things.

UNLESS WE POP OVER TO MY MAINEST MAN ROLLO THAT IS

PLEASE

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
HELL YEAH MY MAINEST MAN ROLL-oh... :smith:

Edit: Also im placing my bet that Bishop Hegmund is gonna betray Lagertha to keep his promise to Ivar of being THE MOST HONORABLE MAN

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jan 18, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
MY MAINEST MAN RETURNS and has gotten really old :lol:

Lagertha looks 28 forever (good feat since the actress is like 40) and everyone around her ages like gently caress. I hope she bites it soon so the endless plotline of "Lagerthas pussy drives everyone mad" can end.
I thought the episode was pretty good, really tragic on all accounts. A little bit slow and lacking in any real development for a midseason finale tho.

Edit: also Ivar the Boneless just straight up walking now without crutches, glad they invented bionics (THAT was stupid)

Edit2: it worries me tho that the prospects for more mediterranean adventures are looking slim. bjørns travelling buddy is dead, his new wife is dead, kattegat is falling, etc etc. he can't set out until all that is resolved and would it even be entertaining without halfdan?

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 26, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Mu Zeta posted:

I saw some discussion about Ivar walking around elsewhere. I think we are seeing it from his perspective, or how he wants something to be. It's a fantasy. It's like how Halfdan had visions of the desert during the battle.

Ah yes, that makes sense. If i were just a minuscule amount less retarded i would have made that connection that the entire episode spent trying to hammer into me :negative:
Wonder if the skeletons was him wanting everyone to die then.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Viridiant posted:

Did the Astrid/Bjorn hookup ever lead to anything that I'm just not remembering or is that yet another dropped storyline in this show?

That storyline is DEAD

And it didn't go anywhere no, much like Bjørns adventures in the Mediterranean :smith:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Latest season started out really really strong and then they made some really dumb decisions (the writers that is) and lost any kind of steam it had. Still worth it to watch just for the first bit of the season tho.

God drat, i'm still so loving sore they dropped the Mediterranean exploration plot. SURELY they HAVE to go back to it, it would be super dumb to introduce those characters & the setting just for like 1-2 episodes.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 10, 2018

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Demon Of The Fall posted:

My wife just texted me that it's confirmed to start again in August

Does she work on the show?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

life is killing me posted:

All I can say is that Rollo's return better not be a huge letdown. With the way the show has been going this season, I'd not be surprised if they had him for a couple episodes to help Ivar with Kattegat and then he went home to his mean old wife.

I hope that too, but i'm a bit skeptical cause he looked SOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD in the closing shot like he had aged 30 years since we saw him last. (Meanwhile Lagertha hasn't gained a single wrinkle and only now has grey hair because of ~TrAuMa~)

Edit: Nah, actually disregard all that. I just rewatched the Rollo scene in HD while actually paying attention and he's not that much older looking and still looks like he could beat everyone up. They still might gently caress him up from a script standpoint tho.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Looks good! Hope they manage to keep their stride all through the season this time.

• Locked thread