Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DarklyDreaming posted:

So I'm assuming Floki is in Iceland. Or he's just straight up dead and it's a hallucination brought on by Ocean Madness just before his brain stops firing nerve cells. Could go either way right now

They said in the little talk show in the middle of some commercial breaks (with the actors) that Floki discovers Iceland, but before this I kind of figured as well what with Greenland being icy and Iceland being green. In a way I guess they kind of spoiled that, but then again I can’t really see Floki going, “I shall call you Iceland!” especially because he thinks he’s in Valhalla

On a broader note I haven’t finished the third episode yet (I got one 2-hr recoding of both episodes and then two separate recordings for some reason) but so far I’m enjoying it. Floki looking over at that volcano in E2 was a wicked scene.

Still missing Ragnar but I’m loving the atmosphere and the sons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Ubbe was really well cast. He looks a lot like the young S1 Ragnar. And I agree that Ivar pretty much makes up for no Ragnar.

And holy gently caress is Ivar a savage motherfucker.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

unlawfulsoup posted:

Ahh so the show is back to the Vikings are 400,000 steps ahead of everyone. Maybe they can invent guns while they are at it, feels like The Walking Dead at times.

The Ivar screaming scene was the most embarrassing thing on this show yet, RIP Ragnar you left in time.

Yeah it's especially hard to stomach it especially when you hear History and the actors and actresses from the show praise its realism and research into history as being as accurate as they can get it. I mean, it's most definitely not a show with fantasy mixed in with history.

Nope, not at all.

Not even a little bit.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Are you saying that Odin isn't real and that waterfalls can't reverse???

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yep, that's what I'm saying.

I mean, we all heard Floki go, "But wait. Allfather, that waterfall reversing is against the laws of physics and I call bullshit!"

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

The greatest joy that this show brings me is having this absurd, over-the-top, comicbook style story play out with a giant "H" in the corner.

Truth. This is the one show (as far as I’m concerned the jury’s still out on Knightfall) on History where I don’t care, and am even glad, that they don’t try to stick too closely to what we know about Norse history. At least they are loosely following it IRT the invasion of England. And at least it isn’t some reality show about moonshiners or gold diggers as History seems to love those shows that have gently caress all to do with history of any kind.

But the thing some goons seem to forget is that this is probably following the saga more than anything else, so I’ll never understand when people get angry they aren’t getting a true-to-life drama about Northmen.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Erghh posted:

Never not grooving to that music.

IIRC some of it even made it into the show Norsemen (which everyone should check out btw).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen_(TV_series)

I wondered if that show was any good. On its face it seems like a ripoff of Vikings except more soap opera-ish. Does it have dark foreboding ambience and Wardruna?

And re: Knightfall, I had a small problem with the score, mainly that it seems like it’d be more suited to a kid’s heroic fantasy show. It’s just kind of out of place with the violence imho. But I’ll probably keep watching it—Vikings wasn’t quite like this, but even over the course of the first season it started to feel different, like it was settling into its groove. Hoping the same for Knightfall.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Zero One posted:

Floki continues to be the best

He had a slump in I think seasons 2-3 for a short time where he was annoying as gently caress thinking Ragnar was too into Jesus, but besides that he's always been an awesome character. Especially now that he's running around Iceland all alone like a madman having deep conversations with Odin and eating mushrooms which I now realize may be contributing to all of that.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DoggPickle posted:

I feel like you were probably one of the fun folks here from sort of the beginning. Go Vikings, RIP SANTA VIKING, and I'm actually sad about what is happening with Lagertha. I guess that her time had to come, but her downfall has been kind of meh and awkward in not a fun way.

I am a little bit stoked to see what is going to happen with Bjorn THE REAL SON OF RAGNAR! :black101:

Ivar = Crazy+downs

I don’t think I was posting in the first or second seasons but I really forget. Been around for the last few at least, and have probably gotten into dumb arguments with someone over something before, most likely over people announcing their departure from the thread over a tiny thing in the show.

I think Lagertha will end up in England again and die like a shieldmaiden, or at least I hope she will. Aslaug was probably more cut out to be queen honestly, but oh well, I still like Lagertha a lot more and hope to see her kick some rear end this season.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dalael posted:

I finally caught up to the latest episode and I am very much conflicted. I think Ivar just became my favorite character. I don't want to like a character more than I liked Ragnar tho, because Travis Fimmel played him so well. But that battle in York where Ivar is acting all crazy? Holy poo poo.

Its funny all the theories that people are coming up with, from "The Vikings are hiding in the sewers" to "They set the sewers on fire" when a much more simple explanation can be found. While the Army rushed in York, the Vikings used the sewers to get outside the city and besiege it. It makes complete sense. They now have the English supplies, while the English have a city with no food. Rushing out from the main gate into the vikings will be suicide and their only real option will be to wait in the city until reinforcements arrive. Which will either not come, or get massacred leaving englishmen to die in the streets of York, fulfilling that battle priest vision. He simply got wrong who would be doing the dying.

Btw what's his name again? I keep forgetting. Was he a real guy or just some made up character?

At least if they somewhat follow the history we know someone has to get out because Alfred has to live on. Will be interested to see how that happens.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Is Knightfall any good? I had high hopes due to Vikings, but I'm not ready to jump in.

It’s okay, not quite the same as Vikings in ambience and grit. I mean, it’s watchable, but feels a little corny sometimes, like a kid’s adventure show where they crossed King Arthur with a show about Templars.

The problem with that is, Templars have kind of a dark history and the story seems at odds with the adventure soundtrack playing behind it. It’s definitely violent (sometimes gratuitously so), and that makes the music even worse—it’s like I’m watching Cutthroat Island while a guy’s arm gets chopped off in detail.

That’s the only way I can explain the odd feeling that show gives me. If it had Vikings’ score going on in the background instead of something that would belong in a cartoon called Templar & Friends, it would be a little more bearable.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Also all the Templars are French and live in Paris, but for some reason they all have strong English accents.

That’s probably the most forgivable thing about the show, but it’s also not the only show guilty of this. They default to that accent since it’s at least easier to understand.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I find the warrior priest guy unbearable and find myself wanting the characters to roll their eyes and give the jack off motion when he starts to proselytize.

Honestly I like him. He’s at least a match for most of the Vikings, though I agree with you partially—I could do without the constant rally cries.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I love how Lagertha was talking to Floki like he was a child, with her repeating everything he said like, “Norse zealots just say the darndest things!” It was like he was saying he had a friend only he could see and she was just going along with it

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Grem posted:

I think so. He's great. This is the only show I can think of that's done so well without its main character.

Unfortunately for this thread, I can only conclude that most Vikings goons disagree—as about 60% of the goons who posted in the previous threads have apparently left Vikings for greener (shittier) pastures such as anything that isn’t Vikings.

And also can’t stick with a show to save their lives because they made Ragnar their god and when he went, they went with him into the pit of snakes that is TVIV

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

Also he should be a lot better at walking with his hands by now. He still drags himself around like it's his first day.

Except for the many times we've seen him walking with a crutch?

I mean, they were in the dungeon last episode, his rear end ain't going down stairs with a crutch, so him dragging himself down and back up the stairs makes sense to me :shrug:

I'm not trying to make you like him, as you feel how you feel, but now you're just being silly!

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Re: Heahmund chat, I really like to think that, though he may possibly be based on a historical character, he was also inspired by Cornwell's The Last Kingdom. I know I'm always the one to bring up TLK and then people start comparing it to Vikings and blabbity blah. But anyway, anyone who read the books might remember Father Pyrlig, a Welsh priest who had been a formidable fighter in his pagan days. I'm always reminded of Father Pyrlig from TLK when I see Heahmund.

I guess I'm reminded of TLK book Ivar when I see Ivar in Vikings too, just in the general way both characters act and their dispositions. I love Ivar, but FogHelmut isn't wrong about him being a huge jerk. To me that shows the actor is great at his job, because even for me it's sometimes hard to root for him because he's King rear end in a top hat to everyone.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Constant posted:

He killed Aella and Ecbert though, those were his two betrayers

What else is there to do? massacre all saxons?

Uhm...yeah

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I want to see those Russian norsemen the arab guy was talking about.

They are probably the same as the (assumed) Scandinavian protagonists in this one

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

So I decided to rewatch from the beginning in between episodes. I’m astounded by what I missed my first time through, like in S2 when Ragnar shows Bjorn a coin from England before Rollo’s judgment, and when the Law Giver lets Rollo live, he walks away with that same coin. Such an important part of why Rollo got to live and I completely missed that before.

The show is still pretty entertaining even on the second watch.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Oh and one of my favorite Floki moments in S3, his melancholia over being a happy family with a wife who is so horribly good.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Dongattack posted:

Wonder how far they will go with him here. He's extremely intersting, but i guess a lot of what he did is outside the scope of what Vikings is all about.

He did fight the great heathen army and was the one responsible for not only uniting England but also for driving out the Danes/Norse. Uniting England was a pretty big deal and had a lot to do with defeating or assimilating the Vikings from my understanding, so I feel like he fits pretty well in the scope, excluding the whole part where our main dudes here get defeated by him eventually. Until then, rape, pillage, kill repeat seems to be the scope.

At least we know he lives, but no sign yet of his Crohns?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

wormil posted:

They need to trim the fat, maybe do a spin off. There are too many good characters getting shuffled to the sidelines or not getting enough screentime.

Dalael posted:

Bjorn is a great example of this. He went twice to the mediteranean and both times nothing of importance happened. It felt as half-assed as GOT season 7.

Good thing Ivar/Lagertha/Ubbe's storyline is good.

Yeah I wish Bjorn was more to the forefront and had more screen time than he does. I know they are trying to focus on the GHA but they are doing a bad job with that seeing as a minor character like Astrid gets the extra screen time Bjorn should be getting imho, when they aren’t showing the GHA pillaging England.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I haven’t watched yet but made the mistake of reading this thread so oh well I’ll still watch.

EVEN THOUGH nothing of consequence apparently happened. Seriously I don’t know what the hell is keeping them from advancing the plot beyond Norse-drama but they had a really good opportunity in what I assume is still supposed to be the main plot point, and are just piling on garbage.

If Ragnar died ONLY so they could go take revenge on England, then why are we getting all this filler with everyone sitting in Kattegat plotting to betray one another or meet betrayal, instead of honoring his memory with the deaths of Saxons?

If it was up to me, the whole season would be them just in England exacting the consequences of taking the main character from us :colbert:

Also for all of Ivar’s bitching and moaning about his brothers and how he is the only one honoring Ragnar’s wishes, he sure does do a lot of sitting around plotting to do anything but that, like take over Kattegat from Lagertha and not be in England employing his master strategies

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 11, 2018

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Ivar needs a united army to take over England. He has to go back to claim some kind of leadership position. This was a punitive raid so they don't have the manpower for an invasion force.

They sure made it seem like the manpower was there at their initial invasion to kill Aelle and Ecbert. They were all trembling at how many Northmen there were, at least I assume so since they should have been used to Northmen by then, so I wouldn’t think they’d have been as scared as they were at first just on the fear factor of Northmen.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

TLK is encroaching on Vikings territory :colbert:

They don’t have to be compared but being a fan of the books myself, I still like Vikings better as a show than the TLK show.

Though iirc in the TLK books, Ubba and Ivar were brothers but I don’t remember them being named as sons of Ragnar Lothbrok or the latter even being mentioned. There was no Hvitserk or Sigurd, and Halfdan was one of the brothers I think.

Vikings is taking a different tack from TLK, probably following the Ragnar Lothbrok saga more closely (and maybe the saga’s interpretation of events in England regarding Wessex including how Aethelwulf died and how Alfred became king) and TLK got a little more historical even though Cornwell definitely took liberties in the books.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Also Clive Standen is doing Taken, which I’m surprised wasn’t cancelled before the first season ended (and probably already was geared for Taken before Bjorn went to Paris to ask Rollo for safe passage to get to the Mediterranean), so I highly doubt we will see Rollo again other than a short cameo or two. They are only mentioning Rollo and why he couldn’t make it this episode, which seems to be a convenient way to keep him as an idea in the show while writing his character out further. They obviously won’t kill Rollo given what he’s supposed to become, but producers and writers had to know he was slated to star in a second-rate movie adaptation that can’t hold a candle to the movies.

Just goes to show, fewer original ideas are happening in Hollywood than ever before imho, because half the shows that come out these days are either serial adaptations of successful movies or movie franchises (see: Taken, Shooter) or competitively similar to another show on another network (see: SEAL Team vs The Brave)

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I wasn’t impressed by this ep and now I’m angry at History for giving us this mid-season finale that was basically filler for the second half of the season where (I hope) real poo poo is going to happen. I’m also not impressed by the battle, just basically got to see all the major characters fight like they are untouchable, especially Heahmund who for some reason reminded me of a samurai. And no shield wall? Not even one? I’d have been happier with one dude going, “Hey, uh, remember that shield wall thing we used to do? Let’s do that...” and everyone else saying gently caress him. But of course with a shield wall Ivar might not win effortlessly, so we better have a pitched battle where no one could possibly know who to kill, like the Franks who just run past Harald like they can tell the Vikings apart from one another.

Anyway, guess I was wrong about us not seeing Rollo again, unless this is a typical Vikings fake-out a la Margrethe with Bjorn’s kids and they just want us to think we will see more of him next half of the season. But I can only hope we get to see some Rollo-ing and that this also means Taken is cancelled.

I mean I still like Vikings but I’m pretty disappointed this season tbqh

ne: Guthrum is supposed to live, though? I mean, historically he eventually converts to Christianity and actually lives as a Christian king in Wessex or Mercia without ever going Viking again. So am I crazy or did Guthrum just take an axe in the chest and die?

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 25, 2018

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's kind of astonishing just how bad this show got in the past few seasons. It used to be such a well paced and interesting show but now it's nothing but a mess of plots (most of which don't seem to matter and are abandoned like they shot all this extra footage as an experiment and accidentally put it in the show during editing), bizarre romances, and a whole slew of characters that don't need to be there. Why was Jarl Borg's son in the show? I honestly had no idea who the gently caress that was until he died and someone made a point of mentioning who his dad was. It feels more like a bad soap opera set in Viking times now.

This is the episode I jumped ship.

Pretty sure it was Guthrum, who is supposed to live and go to England and eventually becomes a Christian.

But you’re right, one of the characters that doesn’t need to be there is Margrethe, who is an eternally-sullen teenager who has never smiled, and who was freed but thanks her former captors by plotting against them and generally being a huge oval office

A huge oval office who really is of no consequence on the story

It just feels like they are adding too many characters for them or anyone else to handle and consequently they have to shorten their stories. So basically I blame Margrethe’s oresence for the fact that Bjorn didn’t have more time in the Mediterranean because they kept having to cut back to a scene with Margrethe being an ungrateful oval office

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

You also see the Mary Sue protagonist jump over the enemy shield wall and solo their entire back line

Mu Zeta posted:

They haven't done anything like that in season 2. He also gets taken down a few pegs and isn't all-powerful anymore.

Alfred pretty much keeps him in line and the books themselves even have Uhtred explaining sometimes why he was able to win. When he fights Ubba, for example, the only thing that saves his rear end is Ubba slipping in some bloody mud. He does have a reputation that he deliberately cultivates, and he’s probably a lot better fighter than many of the Danes or the other Saxons, but he is never portrayed as some perfect dude who can do no wrong. He also suffers greatly for his mistakes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

SeaWolf posted:

I'm late to this party, though I've been watching Vikings from the beginning. I just had to find out if anyone else was as "wtff is going on here" as I am...
Seriously, is ANYONE on the production team looking at what Hirst is writing and saying uhhhh hold on there a sec bud? I can be a stickler for history but I was pretty OK with the liberties they took in the first few seasons.

But really they've Amtrak'd this show with the time skipping and disorganized melee and artsy fartsying around. It's become full on GoT to my mind, and that show lost me a long time ago. Has GoT become the new standard for depicting a medieval world because they're pulling some of the same poo poo in Knightfall too and it's garbage. The actual history is intensely more fascinating than what's being fictioned up, even if that's from the semi-mythic sagas.

Floki's still cool though, that's the only part of this season that's been remotely interesting and I'm sad to see it's falling apart for him. But if all we're going to get out of that in the second half is the 5 minutes interspersed in each episode I'll sadly have to pass. Cause season 6 I hear they're moving to Kievan Rus.

Such a let down. They should have completely cut out the Kattegat storyline last season and focused on the heathen army. Then we could avoid this pointless civil war and focused on Bjorn raiding the Mediterranean, bring back Rollo and go conquer Italy and Floki colonizing Iceland.
Then we can go back to Alfred who shouldn't be this puny 14 year old king, let him properly knock the Danelaw teeth in and THEN we can go to the volga vikings! And somewhere in there Harald can go unite Norway.

Argh!!

Everything you said I agree with.

They led up to a huge moment in English history, and kept interest by portraying the Saxons and Northumbrians. Then, instead of giving us the payoff they led us to believe was going to happen, they give us a civil war for a whole half a loving season and never return to England the entire time. Not even a shadow of a mention of going back there, just Ivar bitching and moaning about Lagertha this and Lagertha that.

I mean, it’s still entertaining enough, but when it goes off on tangents, it actually follows them exclusively after awhile and forgets the main plot it seems. Then some tangents don’t get enough love, like Floki’s.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I can only imagine that while Hirst is surely partly to blame for the poo poo this show has been dipped into, maybe we can also blame producers for an insistence on keeping to some bullshit plot line they may have felt was what audiences wanted to see.

I don’t know. gently caress. I’m tired of mainstream network police procedurals and drivel like Scandal and all that, so I’m disappointed that a show that still has such potential and a lot of material from which to draw, keeps giving us inter-Viking drama and plot lines revolving around aspirations to the throne of Kattegat. It’s like they are teasing us with compelling plots that they never unravel. What I wanted was Vikings wrecking poo poo. What I ended up getting after becoming invested in the show was what amounts to a scripted The Real World: Vikings. Maybe I’m just harder to please than the masses who are perfectly happy with Ancient Aliens and Swamp People :shrug:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

It was worth watching to have some kind of continuity.

The show tried to get really artsy-fartsy with some battle scenes and managed to accomplish this in a bad way while still having run-of-the-mill battle scenes where everyone just fights individually instead of the way Viking and English actually fought, which was arguably more intense to watch.

Hopefully this next half is better. By the way it's been months where the gently caress IS the second half of this season?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Astroman posted:

First I heard summer, now I hear November like they are going to a half season a year like the last seasons of Sopranos or Mad Men. But there's been nothing official.

Doesn't that make the half seasons...*gulp*...uh, full seasons?

I can't handle all these goddamn shows with half-seasons and quarter-seasons and poo poo. ONE GODDAMN SEASON A YEAR NO BREAKS OK

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

All I can say is that Rollo's return better not be a huge letdown. With the way the show has been going this season, I'd not be surprised if they had him for a couple episodes to help Ivar with Kattegat and then he went home to his mean old wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I hope we get to see Uhtred son of Uhtred show up.

Bjorn's battle makeup looks terrifying too.

Looks like TLK was cancelled or at least delayed because Netflix unceremoniously makes shows vanish much like they did with Marco Polo (which I thought was a great show). I’d like to see Uhtred just show up in Vikings as an Easter egg that no one questions while they act like Vikings and TLK aren’t any different

• Locked thread