Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

slave to my cravings posted:

I bought a go-tcha at GameStop and I’m interested to see how it performs. I think the auto spin will be most useful. That little charging cable is annoying though, if it’s slightly touched at all the thing loses contact and stops charging.

If you take a small pair of scissors or an xacto knife and shave the front lip of the charger down it stops pushing itself out nearly as often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

What are Lugia’s best move sets? I looked at three different websites and they gave me three different answers :/

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Entropist posted:

Are you sure you weren't using yesterday's free pass, and then received today's free pass when you backed out?

Nope! I am not sure of that at all.

Loten
Dec 8, 2005

Agnostos Theos posted:

Hey guys
My kids got my mother playing this game a while back and now she's looking for international friends to trade gifts with.

Scrooge
Iluka, NSW, Australia
3328 5331 4248

Many thanx to anyone that can help her out.

Hey guess what? I'm "Good" friends with your mum now.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

can confirm that raid passes refund as long as you don't complete a raid

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Ballz posted:

What are Lugia’s best move sets? I looked at three different websites and they gave me three different answers :/

Extrasensory / Sky attack is the best one. It's really good for soloing machamps or doing gym/raid battles while trying to conserve potions.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

DeadlyHalibut posted:

Extrasensory / Sky attack is the best one. It's really good for soloing machamps or doing gym/raid battles while trying to conserve potions.

Why is sky attack better than a double psychic moveset?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Psion posted:

lol, no, most "real players" are not 40. and even if they were -- you think the spoofers are somehow lower level? the same spoofers who can level up at the speed of bots instead of being a human having to fit the game into their schedule and actually physically move from stop to stop?

They are if they are the kind of spoofers that make a large number of accounts and try to get EX passes with those.
When maps still worked it used to be a goal to level accounts to 30 to use for scanning IVs, though I guess without maps there is not so much of an incentive to spoof with large numbers of accounts any more. Perhaps for trading or EX passes.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

doingitwrong posted:

I dropped into a raid, and then backed back out and got my pass back (and got credit for "participate in a raid" research task).

This happened to me the first time I used one, so I thought it worked that way, and then I joined a 3 star raid and nobody else joined so I went "oh well, I'll just back out and keep my pass" and...nope. I think you get one free take-back, but after that you lose em.

edit: I backed out before the entry timer finished, too. Weird how everyone's experiences seem to be different, you'd think this would be a clearly delineated system that had a simple explanation posted in-game somewhere.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jul 19, 2018

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Zombie Dachshund posted:

Two bar charge moves are typically better.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

slave to my cravings posted:

I bought a go-tcha at GameStop and I’m interested to see how it performs. I think the auto spin will be most useful. That little charging cable is annoying though, if it’s slightly touched at all the thing loses contact and stops charging.

Away all Goats posted:

I have to use a clothes pin to keep it in the sleeve and charging lol

Vegastar posted:

If you take a small pair of scissors or an xacto knife and shave the front lip of the charger down it stops pushing itself out nearly as often.

As much as I love the Gotcha, it is janky as hell. This is why I always encourage people to buy it from Amazon through someone who has Prime, because free return shipping, and if it's borked, easy returns. Gamestop was a pile of asses to a friend about having bought a defective one last year, unfortunately.

You can buy more charging cables, though. Not sure how cheap it is outside of the US, but maybe an American goon is willing to reship?

Grillfiend posted:

can confirm that raid passes refund as long as you don't complete a raid

Nope nope nope. I've lost quite a few due to glitches or us barely having enough and some idiot dodging with a lvl 20 Blissey or Lugia, and no time to try again.

Now, if you lose some due to server issues, you can email and bitch, maybe get a couple credited. But this only happens if you email.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe the raid pass being refunded was part of some event? I remember when Articuno was in every single gym, I was able to chain gym assaults to finish the “battle in 10 raids” research mission because it refunded my raid pass every time I backed out.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
No it didn't.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Do you mean something other than the 5 extra free passes everyone got on Arti day? IIRC you got them one at a time, so this:

1. Spend pass
2. Beat it (or not)
3. Activate any gym and get another pass

Over and over until you'd used all the free ones.

And that does look a lot like a refunded pass.

I've done a shameful amount of radiing, and always try to burn my free passes on whatever I can find. I've never had a pass refunded automatically in-game. I could just be missing something, but this is the first I've even heard of refunded passes (in game, different than Niantic support crediting you with two because they canceled your EX raid or you glitched out trying to catch that 1929 Entei).

Another source of confusion might be from people setting their clocks forward to being able to open more gifts. If you do that, you can also get tomorrow's free pass a day early, just automatically gives it to you. Meaning you can hold three at once.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Caught my first non-event shiny yesterday! A lovely shiny swablu. Really giving me the motivation to take advantage of the fact that swablu are everywhere to evolve Altaria.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Caught a shiny Poochyena today, but its stats are rear end :(

Shinies should be like eggs, where everything is either strong or amazing. They're absurdly rare so it majorly sucks to get a lovely one.

On the plus side I found a few Abras today, and I'm only 25 candy away from Alakazaam now. Do raids mess with what spawns in the vicinity or something? I feel like every time I'm near a raid I see stuff I don't normally see in that spot.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Caught a shiny Poochyena today, but its stats are rear end :(

Shinies should be like eggs, where everything is either strong or amazing. They're absurdly rare so it majorly sucks to get a lovely one.

I love my lovely shiny Squirtle like the loser son he is.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

HookShot posted:

It took me like four days but it's worth it for the Absol.

If PokeJesus is smiling down on you you'll live where it's raining and Wailmer will spawn multiple times.

I didn't get a Wailmer but a nice Pigdeotto in the Burger King parking lot gave it to me on my second throw :dance:

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I have a 15/14/15 Hex/Shadow Ball Gengar, but he's level 17.5. Should I power him up? Supposedly Gengars are the supreme glass cannon, but they're weak against Psychic attacks that they're effective against, and resisted by common gym squatters Blissey and Snorlax.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hello friends, please send me presents to supplement my ball income in this small town. In exchange, I'll send you Canadian eggs for extra on-brand Vulpix/Sandshrew!

8345 9053 0182

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Zombie Dachshund posted:

It's 2-bar charge move and higher neutral damage. Also it's the most useful attack combo for any reason you use Lugia for: Machamp raid solos and gym sweeps.

While you could use double psychic movesests there's much better options for it such as Mewtwo, Alakazam and Espeon.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Are curveballs no longer auto-catch?

And has anyone had any luck in adding random friend codes? When I get bored, I just start putting in random numbers hoping to send an invitation. I have yet to input a correct code.

Jubs fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 19, 2018

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Curveballs were never auto catch, where the gently caress do people get all these batshit ideas about the game from

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Probably from the fact that curveballs do give you a bigger catch multiplier than anything else you can do with the exception of using an ultra ball. 1.7x multiplier for curving vs. 1.5 for berry, 1.5 for great, 1.3 for gold medaling a capture type, etc. At low levels a curveball is pretty much a guaranteed capture.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Raid passes are not and have never been refunded for any reason, unless you contact support with a legit issue. If you've ever thought you received a refund, you were using yesterday's free pass and then received today's free pass.

And auto-catching curveballs would be hilariously broken. It's just a 1.7x catch rate multiplier.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

Is anyone here from the Toronto area? My wife and I are on vacation and would like to find a group to do Zapdos raids with on Saturday.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

Curveballs were never auto catch, where the gently caress do people get all these batshit ideas about the game from

I heard if you press down B while throwing the Pokeball, it autocatches

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
New raid tiers actually kind of own:

Tier 1: Charmander, Makuhita, Meditite

Tier 2: Exeggutor-Alola, Kirlia, Magmar

Tier 3: Porygon, Raichu-Alola, Donphan, Flareon, Machamp

Tier 4: Tyranitar, Houndoom, Marowak-Alola

Tier 5: Registeel

Making Alolan Raichu and Marowak available plus giving a way to get Ralts candy is a pro move.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

seiferguy posted:

New raid tiers actually kind of own:

Tier 1: Charmander, Makuhita, Meditite

Tier 2: Exeggutor-Alola, Kirlia, Magmar

Tier 3: Porygon, Raichu-Alola, Donphan, Flareon, Machamp

Tier 4: Tyranitar, Houndoom, Marowak-Alola

Tier 5: Registeel

Making Alolan Raichu and Marowak available plus giving a way to get Ralts candy is a pro move.

I never got a Machamp...

EDIT: oh wait, he is level 3 now. Ok, maybe there is hope

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Sexual Aluminum posted:

I never got a Machamp...

EDIT: oh wait, he is level 3 now. Ok, maybe there is hope

I have 700 machop candy and 4 machamps over level 35. Blame the constant cloudy weather here in Seattle.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

seiferguy posted:

I have 700 machop candy and 4 machamps over level 35. Blame the constant cloudy weather here in Seattle.

I just transferred a Machamp to make room for a newly-evolved level 36 Machamp that I caught earlier today due to said Seattle weather.

Like couldn't get a decent fire type for months but if a normal type shows up it's basically dead before it hits the ground.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What do I solo Raichu with? Golems?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

mastershakeman posted:

What do I solo Raichu with? Golems?

Alolan Raichu are weak to Bug, Dark, Ground, and Ghost type.

Also, here's a graphic my local pogo discord swiped from another group.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kowak posted:

Is anyone here from the Toronto area? My wife and I are on vacation and would like to find a group to do Zapdos raids with on Saturday.

Go to the Silph Road or the reddit (r/thesilphroad) and ask for the discord link over there.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Kowak posted:

The discord is super active.
https://discordapp.com/channels/328830080040042497/408363346769870848

Though in my experience if you plan to raid downtown you generally can just show up at hatch and find people there already

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I tried raiding a mawile today despite being only level 24 and having very few strong-ish fire-types. Surprisingly, I very nearly ground it down before the timer ran out!

I evolved my best eevee into a flareon and am prioritizing grinding up some more good fire types so hopefully I can get it next time it comes around my local gym.

EDIT: Also really need to find a discord for local players.

Kowak
Jan 1, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

The discord is super active.
https://discordapp.com/channels/328830080040042497/408363346769870848

Though in my experience if you plan to raid downtown you generally can just show up at hatch and find people there already

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Found a Machop nest today, so now I finally have a Machamp! Couldn't stick around long enough to get a ton of extra candy for powering up like I wanted, but still. I just have to get lucky with a 2k egg or two.

Need to find 25 more Abra and Dratini candy now and I'll have Alakazaam and Dragonite, and then I'll have a pretty solid bench as far as non-legendary stuff goes.

Also got an ex-raid pass, that is for 2 pm on a weekday for some dumbass reason, but maybe I'll find a way to swing that since I probably won't see another one for a while and I really want a Mewtwo.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, Regsteel is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
My phone just hardlocked after exiting a stop. After rebooting my phone and pogo all I get is a ground's eye view looking up at my avatar

How screwed am I rn?

• Locked thread